How to find out about your past lives

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Deborah, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

Hi ThOR! Having read your web page, I can say that I understand your point and agree wholeheartedly that our human "seed" certainly does not constitute the whole of consciousness throughout the universe. But, to answer your question (however rhetorical it seems), I would only ask how far discussions might progress without having some foundation in the human experience? Worse yet, would you be interested in reading possibly deluded claims that someone used to be a 20 legged jelly monster from the planet xipsos?

Having been a skeptic, myself, whose entry point into Reincarnation happened to be Ian Stevenson and Carol Bowman; I relate to the needs of new members who are coming from the generalized culture of Renaissance Science and a Religious culture that believes in only one life per customer. It is a seriously big leap for them to go from this background to Quantum Cosmology; and going there can often include swimming through a bilge tank full of strange and unfounded concepts that would possibly cause you to lose interest. I know that I have already gagged at some of the science fiction that exists on most other Forums.

So, for my part, I would love to swap theories with you; but I would continue to hope that discussions on this Forum will continue to be human-focused for the time being -- only because those are the stories that have the greater veridical potential.

2. Foxy Houligan

Foxy Houligan Registered

Small town Nebraska. Great for children. Sometimes
    Falling Into Truth

I don't know very much about methodology and having grown up in a pseudo Christian environment, I was often told that it is appointed once for man to die and then the judgement. After an experience that I was not even pursuing, I was able to grasp that we are reincarnated as men and women but the same spirit goes into the new body. So for the particular man or woman it is appointed that death will come eventually to that shell. Again it is appointed for that carnate body to die once (mostly) and then again the next time around unless we have reached Actualization.

I was in college and practicing meditation and auto writing the evening before my first day of the 2nd semester. I found myself projecting further out or deeper than ever and I had a pencil in my left hand though I am right-handed. I had a theory that perhaps something I had written several times might just be muscle memory. I wrote an entire page. When I came to upper consciousness I saw that I had written an entire page. Half of it was a fairly well done poem. and went on to say "I am you." "Who?" "You" "Sailing songs through time, folding thoughts in rhyme, don't start." It was signed very legibly, John Dryden. The next day I had my first world literature class. After introductions the professor gave us four pages typed as textbooks were late arriving at the bookstore. She then said, "We are going to begin by discussing the English Poet Laureates. The first Poet we'll look at is John Dryden who was the Poet Laureate from fifteen . . . I felt so out of my element and I had not ever heard of this man I am sure. I stood up and left the class, shaking and wandering back toward my dorm. I felt it was like a UFO story and didn't say anything for two months until I told my dad one night during spring break as we were imbibing. He was so down to earth and just said "Why don't you look him up, get some of his works?" That was before PC's and the encyclopedia said that he had been born August 9th. My birthday as well.

That he was sometimes called the Poet Squab for his short bulky build. I am five foot eight and was wrestling team captain. His picture resembled mine. I read some of his poems, and found so many similarities to ones I had written. I talked to a Pastor and he listened and said "Leave it alone, the devil can come to us through many means and mediums."I have pretty much left it alone, but it tugged at me through the years. I have only given you the rather glaring similarities. There was so much more. Neither I nor my father who was well read had heard of John Dryden I am 99.9% sure. Should one pursue? How does one pursue? Would it matter if it were true? Are there any benefits in knowing? This is my first post and I may not even be in the right area. Foxy Houligan

3. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

Hi Foxy, and welcome to the Forum!

Your question resonates well with this section, because how we find out about your past lives has much to do with what we do with the information once we achieve it—IF we manage to achieve it fully. I say this because few of us—if any—ever achieve complete recall of our present lives, let alone previous lives. And, whatever we do achieve is often through our own filters which often leave us partially blind to our real selves. Thus, I believe we are bound to live other lives in the shoes and slippers of many different kinds of people without the benefit or handicap of knowing who we were in a previous life.

So, as your question suggests, what do we do with the knowledge we have? There may be good reasons that some of us have been allowed certain knowledge, whether such knowledge is psychic or objective memory. But, I also believe that some of those reasons could have a great deal to do with learning how to check our ego at the door while expanding upon the deeper meaning of our past-life knowledge.

While it may be quite true that you were John Dryden in a past life, does it mean that your poetry will be appreciated as it was during the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries? Or, does it rather mean that you are predisposed, now, to expand that same depth of soul as who you are presently? Whatever the case, we are not able to regain any of the fame all of us once enjoyed in some previous life. However, we can all find that fine quality that still exists within us, even without benefit of discovering our past lives.

So the question becomes rhetorical, What can we learn from past lives, that we don't already know in the depths of our soul?

4. Mama2HRB

Mama2HRB Senior member Staff Member

Arrant's posts make me so glad that when I went searching for a site to learn from I chose to come here because of the books. I can only imagine how much harder the beginning of my journey would have been had I chosen to land elsewhere.

I, too, can attest that no one here is making money, we are all here to share the information that we have and to learn from each other.

There is, however, a wealth of knowledge that is shared here that is worth far more than any money ... at least to me. :thumbsup:

5. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director

Hi Arrant,

I am sorry I missed your posts in this thread last year. At that time I was recently married, diagnosed with an illness which I struggle with daily and was recovering from surgery. :rolleyes: otherwise I am a healthy happy person. I still teach full time with overtime. 176 students in all. Soooooo I miss things here from time to time.

Nightrain, Tinkerman and Chris - all spoke eloquently on my behalf. Thank you for representing the heart of this place. #G^H

The forum would not be here without forum staff who are all volunteers. None of us make money - but we have made many friends and I personally have learned many lessons.

So, thank you for your sincere apology and your willingness to explain your POV. ;) And welcome.

6. Goldenage

Goldenage Senior Registered

Would it matter if it were true?

Hi Foxy Houligan, interesting post. Re your word “Actualization”, yes, consider that you, your true identity, your True Self is/are asleep, dreaming……. dreaming. In one of those dreams you are John Dryden, in another you are Foxy Houligan but neither of these identities are the real You. Granted the lives of each appear as realities but the Real You is the dreamer…..What if the real you, the sleeper, was to suddenly “wake up”? In that case the real identity that you are would see at once that that the dreamed identities were in some sense “fictions”, fictions of such detail that if you so desired you could plunge right into them and the details thereof would seem, for an instant, to be real again - that is until you once again managed to “force yourself awake”. So what name can we give to this “awakened state”? - How about “Actualised”. Would that fit? Yes I believe it would fit you to a “T”

The whole and only purpose of life (in the dream state) is to provide you with the opportunity to “wake up”. That is all! So in answer to your questions, in order. 1) How does one pursue? Simple: you have arrived at this “insight” concerning Dryden because you have been here before, as John you began to realize that you were dreaming but did not quite wake up. But you did think far enough ahead to set yourself a “marker” that you would recognize in a future life (right now). So pursue this by digging out all of Dryden’s poems find out all you can about the man and his life, everything you can…..

2) Would it matter if it were true? This is the next step, yes. What if it were true indeed and you are the only one that can answer that question - if it is true you will/can know it through meditation

3) Are there any benefits in knowing? The benefit is the possibility of the certainty you will obtain that you, the dreamer, are a consciousness that spans both time and space. Once you have that then deeply ask yourself “who am I that thus span time and space?” Concentrate on the answer, let it arise from deep within you - as it surfaces you will remember who you really are - in Actuality - Actualization is direct comprehension of the transcendent Being from which (whom) all things arise and to whom all things return. It is confirmation that you are that One. It is the beginning of your true journey into the profound and beyond.

7. Ceridwen

Ceridwen Senior Registered

I would be fascinated personally and think it would be instructive for us all if you feel able to share with us some more details on this - ie what you did in that past life and how it "leaked through" into this one. Indeed - it would be good to hear of anyone who has found they are spending time in this life "putting right" things they did in a past life that they are unhappy about.

8. Goldenage

Y did I come here? Y am I doing this?

Oh dear Cariad,

You have asked a big question but briefly:

1) what you did in that “past life: ”When I concentrated on it (the reason I had become a serious Environmental Activist, in the late 60s and got myself kicked out of a university teaching job [Assistant Professor, Ecology]) I found myself walking on a crunchy path which I knew by the feeling underfoot to be crushed white marble. I was possessed of a very determined frame of mind, wearing sandals, a leather skirt, embossed helmet, short sword under my right hand and slung on a belt with a heavily decorated buckle. You get the picture - a swords and sandals scenario. Behind me legions, to each side cowering women and children. The battle already having been won before we could approach the undefended city filled with towering stone statues. The immediate purpose to put everyone without exception to the sword and to burn that city. The reason? Simply to pacify the territory behind our lines before we again moved forward. I alone conceived the plan and I oversaw its execution. You see? It was in no way a necessary action merely one of convenience, nobody told me that I had to do it for I took direction from no-one, answered to no-one. A very bad act. For which I would have to pay life after life till this very life from which I now appear to speak.

2)how it "leaked through" into this one: It leaked through into this life in a curious manner - the Santa Barbara oil spill flowed onto the shore-line and killed most of the sea mussels that I had been working with in studying for my degree in ecology. I was outraged! Such a thing should not be “allowed” to happen so I took a major role in building an environmental action group active throughout the administrative jurisdiction in which I then lived, 10,000 members at $10 each. We tackled the major industrial polluters, engaged them ideologically where they lived, even displaced the incumbent government on the issue. But really it was a battle that could not possibly be won (at that stage). Although I knew full well what was coming I did not desist, got kicked out of the University for saying what should and should not be done on the social scene. My wife left me for throwing away a sinecure of a job and my daughter never really forgave me even up to this day although the environmental group, together with offshoots still lives. But me? I take no further part………

Imagine that, worrying about a bunch of shellfish on the one hand and slaughtering innocent woman and children on the other. When I came to see this clearly it all but shattered my ego-self, almost but not quite. I had yet to revisit another and entirely different scenario, time, place from within a further “life” before I could break out of that ego-ages-old shell that had been cycling into and out of the dream of life for so many times (iterations) that I could not even begin to count them. Although I could “see” them all clearly……or at least “sense their presence. Unreal, all of them….

The break-out-question I mention in my comment above addressed to Foxy Houligan

9. Ceridwen

Thank you for that explanation.

It's sorta feeling to me like you maybe feel the environment of other living beings (the mussels in this case) are less "important" than the people you killed in that previous life???

My thoughts would tend to be around all living beings being important (and, of course, the sea there would contain many other living beings besides the mussels) and it would be an acceptable "recompense" helping one "form of life" in this life to make up for having killed another "form of life" in a previous life.

Trust I'm making sense here.....

I was surprised to read another book (non reincarnation-related) in which the author talks about how most of (Western) Society still goes by the idea that humans are the predominant/most important form of life on this planet and that its the vast majority of people who still believe Humans are entitled to use (and abuse) everything else on this planet for the purposes of just one species (ie ourselves). I guess this explains why I find it difficult to understand so many people apparently placing little or no value on the other species we share the planet with. Also explains why so many people regard it as a "given" that the Human species "should" continue and take it as read that we must. To me - the Earth would be a sight better off without the particular species that is us and I can't see why we rate ourselves more highly (particularly given we share the planet with species like dolphins, whales, etc - ones that are obviously intelligent too - more so than us in fact, as I've seen no evidence of them waging wars against each other like we do).

So - I would say that what you did regarding trying to help other forms of Life was very valid and worthwhile and helped "repay a lot of (karmic) debt". That may not be any reassurance to you - as I am guessing you wish to repay the debt to our own species (ie the human one)...

I know what it's like personally to lose a job because of having followed ones principles and how much "upset" that can cause someone when it happens to them. I don't wish to go into the details of what I did that caused me to be unfairly sacked from the job concerned - but I would do it again - simply because I am quite sure I was right to do so and they were absolutely wrong to sack me for it. I won't give out the details here - because I don't hesitate to tell people In The Real World about it - to expose what happened and to warn people that employers are still currently doing things like this. I try to be philosophical about that unfair dismissal and console myself with thinking "At least it's clear evidence that I must be "older" than at least some of the people on the planet - I wouldnt have sacked me in those circumstances iyswim". So - I tell myself "Think positive about it - at least it means I've probably gone beyond kindergarten stage over my Lives as a whole - and they've just proved some other people (ie themselves) haven't".

10. Goldenage

I am just saying in the prior life I killed many people but the counteraction was in his life I changed course because the oil killed the mussels I am not saying it is better to kill this or that. It is better not to kill anything but then does this include lettuce as well? Yes, in a generic sense I suppose but committing suicide by not eating is not the answer either. There are choices to be made at every turn so one has to learn how to proceed with the least impact on living systems including other people. Besides which all of these things of which I mention happened a long long time ago but then time is not a factor at all - its always a matter of imposing the least impact because one is solely accountable according to the balance one strikes with one's self

11. Ceridwen

Indeed - it is about striking a balance.

One has to, I feel, work out how to "do the least evil" possible - whilst recognising that it's totally impossible to avoid all "wrongdoing". Personally I'm vegetarian, anti-war and have (ahem...) quite a lengthy list (compared to most people) of jobs I simply wouldn't do because they would go against my conscience. So - one does what one can. I do what I can - whilst recognising that one is human/I am human and am well aware of own "personal failings" (errr...like buying more consumer "goodies" than I strictly speaking need for instance - a VERY common thing in our Western societies).

Anyways - this thread is one of the ones that is certainly getting me thinking. Since coming to this thread (in combination with the book I'm currently reading) I've realised a couple of bits about previous lives - ie I've obviously had both the Plague and smallpox at some point (hardly surprising - since millions of people have had one or both of them at some point in the last few hundred years). The evidence is there in a couple of things in my present body - so thats been quite an interesting thought for me - and I suspect I can work out who has had T.B. in a previous life or rickets - as there are some "indications" in their present day bodies that seem consistent with a bit of "carry over" to me...

12. Goldenage

a book about it on Scribd

Hi Ceridwen: IMHO we subject ourselves to obligate re-birth in that we reincarnate again and again until we redress the balance we set in our lives. At the moment of death, departure from (this) life, if it should be the case that we have displaced the purity of what we really are (in a spiritual sense) by wrong-action(s) then we will be gripped by an emergent realization to the effect that "I must do better", "I was wrong" and so forth.

This impulse sets a command performance on the stage of (physical) reality for the "next" incarnation. These performances can be best described as "living dreams" and our "job" is to awaken to the Reality of the responsible dreamer in order to know who we really are.

When I first joined this forum I used it to express some of the ideas that had arisen after my initial exposures to prior lives. Unfortunately a lot of this material was expunged from the site when it migrated to a new format - some are still there but not so many. Anyway, I tried to place my resulting understanding in a book, a copy of which can be downloaded free from Scribd

http://www.scribd.com/doc/36034815/The-Mind-as-Source-of-All

Ever since then I have been working on a follow-up, a draft of which is currently available from my web-site as a gratis PDF download. It is not the most up to date but it is ok in many respects. Nearly ready for publication.....

http://goldenages.org/attainment_for_all/Attainment_As_It_IS_Private_Edition.pdf

All the material above mentioned arises from past-life realization, recall and assessment. Several techniques are described to facilitate past-life recall.

wellllllcome

13. FirstBorn9/11

FirstBorn9/11 Registered

Mr. Wooger's British accent.

I would like to order this CD. However, since I find it often hard to understand someone speaking with a British accent, I would like to know how deep is Mr. Woolger's accent.

Is he hard to understand?

This CD is not cheap and I'd hate to not be able to understand what was spoken.

Thanks

14. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

I have one of Woolger's tapes. If you have a problem understanding him you can pause and replay that segment. I had no trouble understanding him. The worst accent for me is East Indian and Pakistani. You might check YouTube and see if there are any videos of him there.

15. FirstBorn9/11

FirstBorn9/11 Registered

Good idea!!! Hadn't thought of it, but will check. Thanks.

ETA: Just found him on Youtube and he's very easy to understand, so will order his CD.

16. Goldenage

Lost references

Oh, I see the Scribd reference has been lost. It happened when Smashwords joined forces with Scribd and the latter (free) cleaned-out all documents with content overlapping the former (paid). An "evolutionary" development.

Anyway I moved books I had written onto my own server:

Here are three that deal with the subject under discussion.

http://goldenages.org/attainment_for_all/the-serpent-power-kundalini-release-2.pdf

http://goldenages.org/attainment_for_all/Kundalini_Consciousness_Attainment_as_it_IS_Private_Edition-bis.pdf

http://goldenages.org/attainment_for_all/journey.pdf

There are also a few other titles in this folder.

Robin:thumbsup:

17. samonia

samonia Registered

Might I suggest:

The Reincarnation Workbook: A Complete Course in Recalling Past Lives (1989)

A non fiction book by J H Brennan

There are many good books of course but this is the one I first started with and it is quite useful and a good start for anyone wanting to learn about reincarnation and finding out about past lives.....

Peace..........

18. Goldenage

Thanks for the input Samonia

Since my last post to this thread I have published more on the subject. The title is "Kunand Consciousness, attainment as it is". This can be downloaded (gratis) from my site as a PDF:

http://goldenages.org/attainment_for_all/KUNDALINI_Consciousness.pdf

Anybody preferring a hard copy can get it from Amazon

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2014
  19. gloriatorios

gloriatorios Registered

Might I suggest:

The Reincarnation Workbook: A Complete Course in Recalling Past Lives (1989)

A non fiction book by J H Brennan

There are many good books of course but this is the one I first started with and it is quite useful and a good start for anyone wanting to learn about reincarnation and finding out about past lives.....

Peace..........

20. Goldenage

Remembering who you are

Yes, well any book that aids one in the *****ly arena of past-life recollection is to be commended. When one obtains a few such recollections (like shaking the dust off of a very old but incredibly bright statuette) simply turn your attention to the elucidation of that self-same entity. The question "who or what am I"? that recalls these images from beyond the apparent now will lead one into direct recollection of what one really is. Suddenly one remembers - the world dissolves - and the true being that one really is steps out of the shadows.ticonthumbshumbsup

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2014