How To Prove I'm Smart

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by GalaxyDreamer90, Apr 12, 2019.

1. GalaxyDreamer90

GalaxyDreamer90 Senior Member

I go to see a psychologist for evaluation later today and I'm really worried they are going to see me as mental. I'm not sure what to think about being mental and am in denial that I could be mental because of that. I want to believe I'm actually smart but no one else seems to see me that way because I'm so emotional. I can't seem to help but be emotional though. Does that really make me stupid. How can I get the psychologist to think that I'm actually intelligent. I've had IQ test done before but they all say my intelligence is average and part of me would rather be a genius then average. How can I get them to think I'm a genius.

2. Speedwell

Speedwell Senior Registered

If other people think you're average, that's fine. You have the advantage of being able to blend into the crowd, nobody pointing fingers at you.

But, you know you're special. The fact that you want to be seen as a genius shows you already know you are talented in some way. I'd suggest just follow your own dream, do the things you enjoy and are good at. The rest will follow in its own good time.

SeekerOfKnowledge likes this.
  3. KenJ

KenJ Assistant Archivist and Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

You are in a catch-22, if you are trying to appear in a certain way to achieve an end, you could never believe the outcome.
    Why are you so obsessed with this, it is not really that important, nice, but not of the importance you are giving it IMO.

inhaltslos and SeekerOfKnowledge like this.
  4. GalaxyDreamer90

Though my IQ test in the past have shown I'm average people still think I'm mental because I'm so emotional. I can't help it though. I don't want to believe I'm mental though because I'm worried that might mean I shouldn't even exist because I'm so emotional and stupid. I always wanted to be a genius because I've always wanted to be different in a good way and be like a super hero, but it seems I'm too emotional to be a genius. I want to believe I have some talent but the evidence isn't really there. I haven't accomplished much in my life. Sure I graduated from high school and am now almost finished with college but graduating from high school doesn't seem like much of an accomplishment to me. However, I am getting good grades in college perhaps showing them my grades in college will prove something. But that doesn't seem like enough evidence to prove I'm smart and not mental. Sorry for my mopping but I also have self esteem problems from being labeled as mental in the past.

5. Speedwell

Speedwell Senior Registered

"However, I am getting good grades in college perhaps showing them my grades in college will prove something."

It looks like you're attempting to please other people, to show other people something. In my opinion you're wasting your time. You might spend a lifetime doing that and they (whoever they may be) may never be convinced. But that doesn't reflect on yourself. It's the way of the world. Sometimes inventors or discoverers of something can spend most of their life trying to convince others of something, but sometimes the rest of the world just doesn't want to listen. Or an artist like Van Gogh, in his lifetime he was ignored or derided. After he was gone, he was elevated to greatness.

That's why I strongly recommend trying to please yourself first. That doesn't mean to treat others badly or to trample all over them, but just focus on what you want, for your own sake, put your energies there. All the rest will follow naturally. And if things seem to move very slowly, that's ok too. This is a long game, not everything can be achieved in a day.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  6. GalaxyDreamer90

Okay I guess, but I'm not sure I can accomplish anything because I might be mental.

7. SeekerOfKnowledge

SeekerOfKnowledge Learner

I understand how you feel, but I doubt there is a way to convince others that you are smart. You should free yourself from judging yourself by what others say or think. I know this is hard, but it is possible. Also, a genius IQ doesn't make you a "better" person. The inventor of the atomic bomb surely had a high IQ, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to invent it. But would you want to be like him?

I don't know how often I am called dumb and stupid (because I am emotional sometimes, lost in thought and because fighting is such a big NO that I often don't defend myself, possible PL carry-over), and it hurts, of course. Detaching myself helps me here. Helps me to see that first I am not that dumb and stupid, and second that it doesn't really matter. There are enough "smart" people out there acting like idiots, so...

Can it be that you have taken on other people's and society's standards as your own? Because you feel like you have to "accomplish" something, and nothing seems to be good enough. For whom? Why do you want to accomplish more? For yourself? Or because you want to be seen as "successful"?

If career is important for you on a deeper level than just wanting to be seen as successful, then you should focus on career. If a job for you is just a means to earn your living, also fine. Spend as much time as you can with hobbies then. If you ever get the chance to turn something you really love doing, no matter whether it is impressive or not, in a profession, then by all means grab that chance!!!

Ebeth199 likes this.
  8. GalaxyDreamer90

True there probably is no way to convince others that I'm smart but how can I convince myself as smart especially when I see my acomplishments as nothing and don't feel very successful. I don't even know what successful means to me. As geeky as this sounds I would like to make my own comic book but for some reason I can't seem to complete one for some reason. I guess because I'm always jumping from idea to idea. Also I don't know if being a comic book artist will make me enough money to move out on my own. I really want to move out on my own not because it's what everyone does but because my parents drive me insane a lot and I want to be able to do my own thing. Other then that I'm not sure what I really want. But how can I afford an apartment of my own when I don't have the money. I've looked at apartments and they always want me to have an income three times the rent, which I don't have because no one will hire me for a job and I've been looking for a job for years. It's getting to the point I just want to give up. But then what. I really don't want to be stuck with my parents forever.

9. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Hi GalaxyDreamer.

I've a 171 IQ and it brought me some very rough times in my life. I even joined a support group once for 'geniuses' but I never went back because they told me I was smarter than them. I felt alone and isolated.

Its not the first time I've been called a 'genius' either:

http://sarasmichaelcollinssite.com/birth_of_a_genius

Are you sure you want the burden of 'genius'. It doesn't make anyone a better person. Just more talented in some areas than average and that's probably just past life knowledge anyway.

Also I hope your talents aren't like mine. Genius is a blanket term for many talents. Be careful what you wish for.

My advice is to just be happy with and in yourself.

Ebeth199, WhiteRose and KenJ like this.
  10. GalaxyDreamer90

How can I be happy with myself when people think I'm ADHD or even worse autistic.

Ebeth199 likes this.
  11. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Its not about what other people think. Its about what YOU think.

My family think I'm mad for believing in reincarnation but screw that. I have my own truth....not other peoples truth.

Tesso and SeekerOfKnowledge like this.
  12. GalaxyDreamer90

I thought ADHD and autism meant you're stupid.

13. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

No they don't. My daughters half brother has Autism. He isn't stupid he is just unique among other kids around where he lives.

There's nothing wrong with being different. Genius is different too.

Do you know what my family says about my reincarnation belief?

They say "Well a lot of genius's are a bit mad".

Other people try to stigmatize no matter how intelligent one is. There's no point in stigmatizing yourself.

Embrace yourself. Accept who you are.

14. GalaxyDreamer90

I'm not sure how I to embrace myself. Not even sure what's so good about me other than being creative and good at drawing. I suppose that's better then having no talent. Still I seem to struggle with low self esteem and not entirely sure how to improve it.

15. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Try positive affirmations. Look at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself good things about you. One day you might believe it.

It worked for me when I was twenty four and my self esteem was on the floor.

16. GalaxyDreamer90

I suppose I could give it a try though I'm a little doubtful as it hasn't helped me much in the past.

17. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Cool. Also any time I doubted myself I said to myself "You're alright Jim".

Klaud likes this.
  18. inhaltslos

inhaltslos Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Exactly this. Most of your problems solved right here with this one sentence, @GalaxyDreamer90.

WhiteRose, Jim78 and KenJ like this.
  19. KenJ

KenJ Assistant Archivist and Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

20. GalaxyDreamer90

Perhaps I should stop worrying about what others think but I'm not sure how especially when they think I'm ADHD or Autistic. I'm just not sure what to think about having a disability if I do indeed have one. I don't like the idea of having weakness. I always wanted to be like a super hero and use my talents to help others, but sometimes I feel I have no talent, just weakness. Even if I do have a talent I sometimes wonder what does it matter if I also have Autism.