How to return to the body after out of body experience?

Discussion in 'Parapsychology' started by Akhila, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Akhila

Akhila Active Member

So i've been practising meditation for quite sometime now as a part of yoga. I usually meditate at night lying down on the bed because im a beginner and since i have a few issues with health (fibromyalgia since 12 years and sciatica which comes and goes). I cannot sit down and meditate because i get a severe pain in my legs and back and cannot relax in the sitting posture.

I read about astral projection in this very forum yesterday and i was wondering if we can really let our soul wander without dying. Since life is nothing but soul and since the brain dies 3 minutes after the soul leaves our body, don't we die after an out of body experience? How does the soul come back and even if it does, what if we are dead by then?

I'm new here and im sorry if this has already been discussed but im just curious and cant find the answers anywhere else.

Eva1942 likes this.
  2. Eva1942

Eva1942 A Walking Enigma...

I wrote a post somewhere here about how I laid down in bed and did my meditation. I haven’t meditated for a few years now, but I found laying down very beneficial.

You get sciatica? Had you thought being checked for scoliosis? Mine was picked up during a physiotherapy session I was having for work. 10-15° I have. I was also told that sometimes Fibromyalgia and Scoliosis can be connected. Well mine is.

Our soul is connected to our physical body by a silver cord. I have actually seen my silver cord and managed to find the exact colour of my silver cord (in nail polish colours... can you believe that?) Speaking purely for myself, I ‘wander’ all the time, and sometimes I am not consciously aware of it (I just seem to physically feel spaced out) You can only “die” if the silver cord connecting the soul to the physical body is severely tangled beyond repair or severed.

If the soul considers the physical body to be beyond healing and/or all the life lessons are completed, then that’s when the cord is severed and you physically die. Meditation, OBE’s and other such methods let us explore that we are more than just who we think are. I actually have memories from my twin flame of him standing next to his physical body in hospital while it was being ravaged by early pneumonia and cyanide poisoning debating whether to fight any more or whether it was a good time to ‘leave’.

Eva x

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Klaud and fireflydancing like this.
  3. Akhila

Akhila Active Member

Well i had several tests and mri done loads of times but everything comes back normal which is why i started believing that it could be linked to some past life trauma. I did not get checked for scoliosis though, didnt know that i should.

4. Akhila

Akhila Active Member

So you are saying that as long as we are healthy and have no reason to die, our soul comes back and we do not need some equipment to make it possible? Interesting!

5. fireflydancing

fireflydancing just a fly in the sky Staff Member Super Moderator

When you are out of your body, you simply just decide to go back and within a split-second, you are already back in your body. It's more difficult to stay out of your body than to go back, actually.

Eowyn, Klaud, Akhila and 1 other person like this.
  6. Speedwell

Speedwell Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Whenever I tried to induce an out of body experience (quite a number of years since I last tried this), the biggest difficulty I had was the opposite one: How NOT to return to the body too soon.

In effect, just when things were starting to get interesting, bang, I was back in my body. A bit like being attached to the body with strong elastic. That is not how it felt, I only felt freedom, but the effect was like, one tiny disturbance and that pull makes itself felt with an immediate end to the experience.

My technique was to lie down in a very comfortable position, and remain perfectly still (except for breathing of course). Gradually I'd lose awareness of the existence of my arms and legs, they neither existed not not existed, the body became something which I was no longer aware of. At this point I'd still be wide awake, in normal waking consciousness. Then, most of the time I'd simply fall asleep and nothing else happened. But after practising for several months, not necessarily every night, but frequently, those initial stages became easier. My body was perfectly safe, warm, comfortable, breathing normally. I certainly never had any concerns about the body coming to any harm.

I'd feel myself starting to detach from the body, but often fell asleep. A few times I would wake up soon afterwards, the first time I found myself rocking from side to side, more and more violently, rolling to the left and the right, I was sure I would fall out of bed. In fact my body never moved, it remained motionless, though I only found that out later. I started to float upwards, no longer rocking, but remaining steady, and moving up towards the ceiling.

As I said at the start, the problem was maintaining this state. After travelling further upwards, passing through the roof, I suddenly found myself back in my body, too soon. My breathing was still steady, my body comfortable, and as I now discovered, had not been rocking from side to side at all.

After that first time, it got easier, I had several more experiences, each one quite short, sometimes profound, but eventually considered I was not knowledgeable enough about where or what I might encounter, and was doing this alone, without any sort of guide, decided not to continue my explorations.

After several decades, I'm still aware of how those initial stages feel, and did a few years ago start to unexpectedly feel myself on the edge of leaving the body. Unfortunately at that time I was experiencing some harmful side-effects of some prescribed medication. I had to shake myself awake to avoid leaving my body. Because of that medication, I'm sure there's a pretty good chance I could have left the body permanently and my heart would have stopped. After that I stopped taking the medicine, it had harmful daytime effects too, and reported the problem to my doctor (though I didn't mention the possible OOBE).

I suppose my conclusion is, it is fine when you are in control, my only worries regarding the body were due to genuine health issues (now thankfully resolved).

Eowyn and fireflydancing like this.
  7. Speedwell

I'm not sure I can agree with all of this. In particular, the statement, "Since life is nothing but soul and since the brain dies 3 minutes after the soul leaves our body ..." seems baseless.

The death of the brain is a physical process. From a medical perspective, when the blood flow to the brain stops, as in cardiac arrest, consciousness is lost within about 15 seconds. The brain remains alive, but without oxygen and nutrients, it cannot function. Eventually, individual brain cells start to undergo chemical reactions, which will result in damage. However, under certain conditions, such as a person drowned in very cold water, or falling in a cold environment (snow and ice for example), the body and brain can sometimes remain viable for many hours. Historically, throughout the whole of human history, at this point, the person is dead. However, since the mid 20th century with the advent of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and some more recent techniques involving something called an ECMO machine, it may be possible to bring these people back to life. Not always, but there are plenty of successes reported in the medical literature. For example, there's a report here of a woman whose heart was stopped for six hours. Although the Daily Mail does not have a good reputation, this account is corroborated across multiple news agencies and the person herself appeared on a BBC tv interview. That isn't even the longest duration, another report describes a man with no heartbeat for 18 hours.

None of this though says anything about the soul. Medical reports don't include it.

At any rate, under normal circumstances, so long as there is no physically life-threatening situation, the body will be there continuing to breathe and with heart and brain functioning normally, ready for the return of the soul from its wanderings. Some people say that our soul leaves the body every night when we sleep, but in our dream state we are not aware of this. Sometimes though we wake from a dream with a jolt, which seems a likely sign of a sudden return to the body.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  8. Jaimie

Jaimie Senior Member

This out of body experiences confuses me somewhat in context. Sometimes I space out and end up in places I know in this life, it only last seconds til I am in control again: it has always been like this. When I asked someone if they have that too they said they didn't. If it is not a memory could some part of me visit these places? But then again I have read if one leaves the body one hear voices and some strange sound and really feel one is leaving the body, and this has not happened. Perhaps this is the forum to best ask the question about if anyone else have experience this, and if it is in present time, have we then left our bodies?

fireflydancing and Akhila like this.
  9. Eva1942

Eva1942 A Walking Enigma...

It is not like a ‘must do’ but I just thought you might have liked to have known a ‘fibro’ trait I discovered purely by chance...

That’s what I said. Mind you it’s purely my own opinion and no one else’s ;)

Eva x

10. Speedwell

In my opinion, what you describe may or may not involve leaving the body.

It is certainly interesting. To me it sounds a little bit like "Remote Viewing" which has apparently been attempted in the context of military espionage, and at present is sometimes used as research tool in an attempt to study PSI phenomena. In remote viewing, the 'viewer' is told there is a 'target', but ideally no further information is provided. The viewer then writes down or speaks out loud any impressions received of the nature of the target. They may also provide sketches to accompany the description. Success in this area is variable.

'There is also a connection with deliberately-induced out-of-body-experiences in attempting to view a hidden target, perhaps placed in an adjacent room. There was one experiment where a target needed to be viewed through a small opening, such as a hole in a metal plate which could be rotated. In this way, only by looking through the hole could the correct target be seen. If it was a broader sort of clairvoyance, an impression of the entire apparatus might be discerned, but would be unable to say which of the several targets was the correct one.

That's all rather technical stuff, the aim is to provide scientific evidence for psychic ability. In the above experiment, the person who actually felt they were leaving the body and travelling to the required location tended to score more highly than those who said they observed the target without actually leaving the body.

In my own opinion, as someone prone to daydreams, I think our consciousness can roam outside of time and space very readily. Does that mean our soul leaves the body? Perhaps I would consider it as either an expansion of awareness which extends beyond the boundary of the body, or maybe entering another dimension, somehow bypassing our everyday 3-D plus time reality.

tanker, Eowyn and Jaimie like this.
  11. Eowyn

Eowyn Wrought out of steel

Hi, @Akhila, I think @Speedwell has given you excellent explanations so I have little to add here. The general problem with OBEs is that few people have had conscious and controlled experiences, so there are still a lot of myths and misconceptions. I'll try to clarify some of them for you.

@Speedwell said that some say our souls leave our body every time we sleep, only we are not conscious about it. Well, this is completely true. Many people find this hard to believe, just because they can't imagine something like that. When you train for a long while to do conscious astral projection like I did, you start to realize how all this work, and you realize that this mechanism, "leaving" the body every night, is just natural, I'd almost say it's just a physiological process. Some people told me that usually your astral body (I think this expression is more accurate than "soul") stays around 60 cm above your physical body while you sleep. I didn't believe this either, until, as a result of my training, I started to wake up spontaneously while I was sleeping, just to find myself in that position. And sometimes you also move to a vertical position or start doing crawling movements (as if swimming), this being the reason why sometimes we dream about flying or swimming "in the air" (children have lots of these types of dreams, I'm sure many of you too).

@Speedwell also talks about an expansion of conciousness rather than "leaving the body". I completely agree with this. Sleeping, dreaming, OBEs, NDEs... are all different forms of the expansion of consciusness. When you sleep your consciousness just expands, so it's senseless to think that endangers your physical body in any way. No one "gets lost" in the astral, no one dies as a result of astral projection (unless someone kills your physical body or you have a heart attack or something like that...), no one can even "possess your body" while you're out, because... you are not out and your physical body keeps being alive. I think this stems from the common conception we have that soul and body are separate things, when I always say that's false: we are soul and body at the same time. Our soul, to put it simple, is just made of our atoms in a expanded state. The trick is that our consciousness can focus on a "more material" phase like the physical body, or on a "less material" phase like the mental phase or the spiritual, when you can contact those other realities we usually can't see or feel.

Serious astral travellers doubt about the existence of a silver cord, most of them just haven't seen it, and if they have, they know you usually create what you believe in the astral plane. Most of them agree that the silver cord is just a myth to explain how soul and body are joined together, but there's nothing to break there, as energy can't be broken. You only leave your body completely when you die. People who have had an NDE, many of which describe an OBE, didn't really die, or they would have been unable to return (my theory here is that there's a limit of time to return, determined by biology, as long as your body hasn't begun to decay).

As others have said above, it's more difficult to leave your body consciously than return. The word consciously is very important here, because unconsciously, we always do it, no matter what you think. It's as natural as breathing. And as most people don't understand this process, here comes a lot of confusion about sleep paralysis and other phenomena relating to the symptoms of astral projection (you can consult these in my thread about the basics of AP). It takes a lot of will and control to transfer your consciousness to that other plane, and usually we just start dreaming, which means you are being a witness of your mind's creations, while you miss the wonders of the astral plane in which you are now. Once you start to control your consciousness and you are more lucid, then you can start to be a little aware of the astral plane, and quite often normal dreams and periods of lucidity start mixing together. Being 100% aware is virtually impossible, as there's something in your physical body that holds us down, and that's why the first experiences last only seconds or minutes. Even experienced astral travellers are only 60-70% lucid, and you always have to control your mind because it tends to create everything in that plane. But I guess this is a different story...

I hope you understand now a bit more the process involved in OBEs. If not, you can always ask more! ;)

Akhila, Speedwell and fireflydancing like this.
  12. fireflydancing

You don't have to 'leave' your body for your consciousness to travel to someplace. Happens to me too. I still haven't figured out what the dynamics are but probably it's something in the field of 'expanding consciousness' as mentioned by Speedwell and Eowyn. I have more experience with this than with 'real' astral traveling (although I am glad this last also happened to me, so I can compare the experiences). Somehow projecting your consciousness to a place is as 'real' as astral traveling and it's certainly not remote viewing.

Jaimie likes this.
  13. Polaris8

Polaris8 Senior Registered

Akhila,

Well to answer your question we all leave the body at night when we dream as it is a natural function of the soul as we need time to be away from the physical while it recharges. We are just not aware of the process. So the difference between dreaming and astral projection is our conscious memory of the process. In dreaming we usually fall into a short period of blank memory before the soul shifts consciousness inward into the astral body. Then we awake during dreaming somewhere on the astral plane. However because we are attached to the physicals body our subconscious filters out what is really going on. When we return we blank out again and awake up in the physical again having little or no memory of what has just occurred.

However in projection we allow the body to all asleep but keep the mind awake during the process. When this occurs we hear a loud buzzing sound and feel a strong vibration through out the body as consciousness shifts and centers itself in the astral. During this process the etheric body relaxes allowing the magnetic grip of the astral form from the physical to releases it. We then drift away from the physical and usually float above it or off into the corner of the room. Below we see a silver cord which connects the astral body to the physical. This allows the soul to return to the body during the course of ones lifetime. From there we can start traveling either on the physical plane or on the astral world depending upon where you want to go. In returning we simply wish or have the desire to be back in the body again in which case the astral form will be pulled back to the body and align itself with the physical and snap back into place. Sometime you can even hear a snapping sound upon return. When we have falling dream it is usually the soul returning to the body very quickly in which case the physical body might jerk suddenly during the return.

Below is a cute little video of the process. As long as the sliver cord stays connected soul can return to the physical body. However if it snaps we can no longer return. This is what happens when we die. Soul will then simply live it's life now on the astral plane from here on out. No one can break this cord except you. As soul (your higher self) will determine this when it is time to leave.

Hope this helps some. And also if you do achieve full conscious memory of the process it helps you to lose your fear of dying. And see and understand it
    for what it really is. You will also see yourself differently because now you don't identify yourself with the body so much but instead see yourself as the eternal soul that
    you have always been.

Happy Travels.

P.

Eowyn and Akhila like this.
  14. Speedwell

I'm wondering how much of the 'astral travelling' experience, such as the silver cord and the buzzing and vibration mentioned above are learned or acquired due to either prior expectation of some other previous but forgotten experience. I say this because I've read a lot in older literature regarding the 'silver cord' and more recent accounts mention 'vibration'. None of these things fit with my own experience, perhaps because I was self-taught and didn't know I was 'supposed to' experience those things.

fireflydancing and Akhila like this.
  15. Li-la

Li-la Senior Member

Hi, I must agree with Speedwell. I have been shocked that I was suddenly woken up and was outside my body, up at the ceiling. First time it was this way I thought I was dying. My daughter tells the same story. When she sleeps and wake up she is up at the ceiling, but she is not afraid. No sounds, nothing. Maybe one goes into another "door" than the rest who hears sounds and vibrations? Maybe one does not have to leave out the other?

Best Wishes

Li La

fireflydancing, Speedwell and Akhila like this.
  16. fireflydancing

I know what you mean and I am puzzling with myself about this. I've never noticed any cord and neither the people I personally know that can astral travel. But still, we can't dismiss experiences just because we didn't experience that ourselves.

For the moment, I try to find out whether there are different types of 'traveling'. Probably it has to do with frequency or with which kind of energy you are using (consciously or not consciously). Or maybe it has a relation to which astral plane you're aiming to visit.

I'll give an example. When I consciously try to leave my body, usually I am aiming for the normal world to walk around. I have a landmark imprinted in my brain to go to and I have two friends who gave me permission to visit them whenever I would manage to astral travel. When I try this, I experience the vibrational state (and usually halfway I lose consciousness. It's a heavy process and often I just get tired after some time and I just give up. Once I got through and still, it was not pleasant although I was out and moving fast in an unknown direction.
    A remarkable thing is that I also remember one time when I tried this, I suddenly had a vision of looking down at myself in bed. This sudden change of perspective confused me as if it were a hallucination. I was putting a lot of effort to leave my body but somehow my awareness had already gone (and flipped back due to the confusion). It was two different things, two different energies/frequencies. I don't know how to call it.

When I am not consciously trying to leave my body, it's different. Somehow I skip this whole process and 'I' am launched like a rocket through this state.

Or... it's just my awareness traveling. This might happen spontaneously or by effort. The only effort I have to do is to align myself or to visualize the place I want to go to until it starts to become its own reality. But I don't use the astral body (as far as I know).

So maybe this so-called silver cord only applies to the astral body but we are capable to do more things besides the astral body.

(The only time I ever noticed a cord was not so long ago. It was in a dream. I am used to what I call astral dreams, that are different from normal dreams. So I suddenly became aware of a cord attached to me and I started playing with it. Jumping in the air and bouncing back. At that time, I was in a kind of tourist place, like an old castle where I walked around. I became so confident that I yelled: Look at me! And I ran to the edge of an old castle wall and jumped into emptiness... and bounced back again to the old brick wall. I just grinned to the people who had watched me doing so.)

(haha.. after writing this down, I suddenly remember/realize something I had forgotten and that might explain something. I have an old agreement with one of my friends that once I get astral consciously, we'll meet each other at the end of the long Chinese Wall (besides the permission that I can always visit her, no matter where she is). This tourist place could have been this Chinese Wall. Not everybody took notice of me, only a few people (maybe only fellow astral travelers). Maybe I really was there astrally and as a message to my daily consciousness, this cord appeared for me to remember when I woke up. )

Akhila and Speedwell like this.
  17. Eowyn

Eowyn Wrought out of steel

As I understand it, there are two (at least) type of experiences. The old esoteric traditions already made this difference: one is astral projection and other is mental projection (or remote vision... though these two could be different phenomena too, things are more complicated that they seem). The difference is that when you astral project you are using your astral body. This is a real body, less dense than our physical body, but still "something" that wraps our consciousness or whatever (as in these descriptions we are always lost with words). But when you mental project, you are not really moving with any body. I like to say this is like the eye of Sauron, somehow you can see what's happening in distant places, but you're not physically moving there. I guess it's a more subtle expansion of consciousness, and of course you don't need to inactivate your physical body to do it, as when we do when we astral travel.

Yes, I think it must be something like this. I was told it just depends on the frequency you are tuned in. That's why sometimes you find yourself in your own bedroom, or a plane that seems to be close and similar to the physical, but other times you are just in a void space "floating" and it's all dark, or suddenly you are in a totally different dimension. With enough control you can learn to go from one dimension to the other. I even heard that there are "tunnels" similar to those described in NDEs that seem to separate dimensions of considerably different vibration, and you have to make a great effort to go through them. I suspect these all are dimensions of relatively low vibration (that's why we still call this the astral plane), and there's indeed one point where you can't go beyond... unless you die, then reaching the real spiritual plane, of a higher vibration. I've noticed people tend to think it's all the same.

18. Li-la

Li-la Senior Member

Hi Eowyn!

You know if we can create holes and tunnels ourselves?

Some time ago I was in darkness. I saw a big hole where first dark figures came out of and then they changed to look like men and women. There was a nun nearby praying. I worried I created the hole or was taken near to the hole.

I wonder so where does the holes come from and who creates them and how do they get closed again. Do you know?

Also I wonder something else perhaps no one can answer this. Can one with accident step into another person's memory? Is it then astral or something? go back in time?

When I read something of another member of this forum wrote about long ago I started getting a "vision". It was not what the person wrote about.

It was the past life member (female) with her past life love. He did not understand her hurt. Her worrying about their relationship, where it was going. He thought he was not to blame. He gave me impression he thinks in black or white. Nothing else. She sees things in all kinds of colors and how they effect each other. They could not meet.

I did not know if I had an astral body or not when it happened.

Could this happen? In instant I got the understanding of what had been wrong in the past between them. Not even seconds into the vision. I knew. Where they stood now. Locked up.

Has it happened to anyone else? I really felt "I should not be here" and "why am I here?". It frighten me so. I still feel so silly too, now. Perhaps only imagination?

It has never happened before or after.

Thanks in advance.

Best Wishes

Li La

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    Eowyn likes this.
  19. fireflydancing

I am afraid it's even more complicated and I wished I had more oversight. What we call 'mental projection' for the moment is not just watching from a distance, using a big All-Seeing Eye. Well, what I've experienced is not like that. It's 'really' being there. And you're able to manipulate energies and situations. If you want to. You can walk around and have encounters with all kinds of 'consciousnesses'. I've even been noticed and recognized by others (friends). So there is some kind of body, although it's not the astral one (considering that I never left my body on those occasions). Last time, I seemed to wear exactly the clothes I was wearing physically. I had an appointment with a friend at someplace and we both would try to go there astrally. She went by just leaving her body and I didn't manage to do that (as usual) so I decided to do it my way. I went there, walked around, not seeing anyone, until I decided I wanted to touch the furniture and feel the structure of the fabrics. I lowered my vibration in order to do so. I made myself more solid and exactly at that moment and at that spot my friend saw me appear out of nothing.
    So this experience makes me wonder if vibration/frequency is some kind of factor to take into account.

I also am convinced that you need different energy bodies to be able to roam around different astral planes.

Eowyn and Speedwell like this.
  20. Polaris8

Polaris8 Senior Registered

Speedwell, I have had on again off again OBE over the years but I have never seen my silver cord either so don't feel too bad. I have been told that not everyone's silver cord is connected to the stomach. For some it is in the heart area, , other in the middle of the forehead, and others in back of the head. Which might be my case because during the OBE I do notice a pulling sensation upwards in the back of my head. Which might explain why I have never seen it. However I have had the buzzing sounds sensation just before separation from the physical which is personally ever annoying to me. As it can be very loud like buzzing bees in your ears. Once you get pass this things clam down. So not everyone experience's the same thing simply because we are all individuals even on the astral plane. However most people separate and leave the body every night without ever knowing anything of the process. They just go from awake to sleep and then dreaming ect.. I was told by a friend of mine the reason for this is that the human race at this stage of spiritual evolution has fully developed astral bodies that can and do function on the astral plane as a sperate vehicles of consciousness. However over the millions of years of evolution of man's physical and inner subtle bodies our astral bodies have been used to receiving impressions from the physicals senses during the course of the day and then process them passively at night when we sleep.

so At night the astral body will sperate and process the days events that occurred while awake thru the astral senses during sleeps. However man's conscious awareness has not be able to bridge the gap between physical and astral yet because it lacks the development of the etheric web link between to the two states of consciousness. If this were so then man would simply shift from physical to astral in one continues state of awareness linking the two worlds together. But because man's consciousness is still overly focused on the physicals only the astral body remains passive waiting for signals from the physical senses to process at night instead. Which is why most of us have no memory of what actually takes places while the body sleeps. This may change over time as we evolve as a species.

later P.

Li-la and Eowyn like this.