• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

I Met My Husband from a Past Life

GloryDays

When I was maybe around 15, I had an extremely vivid dream that really stayed with me where this man, who I did not know in real life, and I were madly in love and just dancing, laughing, and kissing the night away. The only thing was that the dream took place in the 1920s and the person who was supposed to be me did not look like me but I knew deep down it was. As a Christian I never thought much about it or thought it may be a memory from a past life until maybe five years ago.

Fast forward years later. I met my best friend, "Kristen," at the second job I had after college and twenty years later we are still close. We bonded over the fact that we were both recently married and after being close for a while we started doing things as couples with our spouses from time to time. It wasn't until her husband "Kurt" and I were alone, which was unplanned, for the first time that we both felt something that seemed beyond the world though we kept it quiet from each other for a long time. All we did while we were waiting for Kristin that day was bond over discussing movies and music we liked and discovered the fact that we both used to play the guitar but quit in high school. I really felt like I knew him from somewhere but shrugged it off. But as time went on the feeling of having known him before was stronger especially whenever we hugged hello or just sitting across from him at a dinner table.

It wasn't until a few years later when my son and their oldest daughter had a play date in the park that Kurt confronted me and admitted to feeling the same emotion I had kept a secret that entire time. It was then that I, too, admitted that I felt like I had known Kurt for many years and that there was this extremely strong connection between us. Kurt then revealed that after doing some research on his own even though he was Christian as well that he thought perhaps we knew each other in another life. He even thought perhaps we were married and while I did not shoot him down I at first refused to consider that we were once married. It didn't seem right to think about considering we were both married to other people. I actually didn't want it to be true because it made me feel like I was cheating on my husband even though nothing ever happened between me and Kurt. It took me fainting during an outing to make his words valid where Kristen made him pick me up from the ground as my husband just stood their with the kids freaking out at the new gash on my head. After I had come to for a bit I had the strongest feeling that Kurt had picked me up before dozens of times.

It is almost now 20 years of my husband, myself, and I being close with Kristen and Kurt and our feelings towards us having been a married couple in a past life hasn't changed in spite of us living now two hours away. I have to admit that with all the time that has passed Kurt and I sometimes having a hard time coming to terms with our feelings for each other which are very strong. We never act on anything and have no intentions to do so as we love our spouses and our children; we just have many conversations guessing what our old life was maybe once like and what happened to us back then. There is definitely an attraction and strong feelings of love between us but they feel beyond earth having been from many moons ago. I know that doesn't sound right but it is very hard to explain. I do wonder if that dream I had as a teenager was really a memory of me and him in a past life.

Has anybody experienced anything like this? Besides Kurt I have never talked to anybody about this matter. He and I always wish that we could access old memories but they never come. All that we have are feelings of familiarity like we have done something before. If we really were married in a past life, why do you think we would be separate in this one?

Well, when you think about it, reincarnation would likely mean you've been married to a lot more people than just him. I'm pretty sure I've met at least three past life partners, and I shared a strong mutual connection with all of them, even though we're not together this time around.

If it helps you reconcile your connection, try to enjoy the fact that you're still a form of family to each other due to the quality of your friendship. It's okay, just like it's okay to have dozens of cousins, etc.

Just because you've spent one, or even more, lives together doesn't mean that you are compatible with each other in this life, too. People talk about "a soul mate" all the time, but in my experience it's more like hundreds of potential soul mates are alive at the same time. It may be that you've planned who will be with whom, or what opportunities you'll share with each other along the way. Sometimes we all need that lasting, wonderful friendship more than anything; or we treasure the memory of a one-time, meaningful meeting just as much as having a particular person as a spouse. Sometimes you might agree to come back with a group and pair up in new ways, or even include new people. There isn't just one way to live, and living the same life on repeat would become dull even when you don't remember.

It's okay to trust the adventure. Trust yourself to gain what you planned, and benefit from it. You don't need to focus on the idea of missing out on something unknown right now if you find it painful to think that way--especially not when you're truly enjoying something you wanted to try.

It took me a long time to learn that what you have is more real than a mythology of what you don't have. You can create new things with it. You can change what you have, built it, trade it, transform it. What you have can be held close or set free. Just remember that what isn't real (those what ifs and if onlys) can easily fade away to nothing when you set your hands free to grasp it. Choose honest reality over fiction every time you can. You'll create more truth and invest more in life that way.

Our lives all weave together in incredibly beautiful ways when we take a step back from trying to force them into a single pattern, especially in relationships. There are many ways to love, and the most real part of love is always the same inexplicable quality. Honesty. Respect. Appreciation. It's just like you can love everyone in your extended family and all your friends, but what you need from each other and how often you meet each other's needs may be different for each and every one.

It's okay to feel the way you do. That connection doesn't change the fact that you can deeply enjoy sharing this life-partnership with your husband. You probably know this because he's the one you chose this time around. Maybe you needed to be with him this time for a good reason. Trust your freedom to choose, even when you're not sure why you chose this path.

We all feel like it's a miracle sometimes, the mysterious way life comes around and turns out better than expected for no good reason. When you appreciate what you have right now, you learn it's okay to simply accept that gift of having as the reason. Maybe it was meant to be this way. And if not, you will find a path to somewhere else based on what you have now and where you've been. Love includes the past, always. It's part of the journey.

Congrats on having such a special friendship. It's rare for two couples to share a double connection that way.

Thank you. You really put things into perspective for me and made me feel better. I thought about the whole things happening for a reason thing to help with wondering why we weren't together in this life. Sometimes what really hurts is when he goes through cold spots and pulls away almost as though he cannot handle what we feel.

Back