I think I was Japanese

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by Skye Winters, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Skye Winters

Skye Winters Senior Registered

Okay so for starters, I'm a bit of a history buff. I LOVE history, especially WW2 history, and strangely enough, Japanese History. That's not where I'm getting this idea though.

So, from an early age, I've actually done a lot of things that remind my adoptive parents of Japanese people, for example eating with chopsticks without being taught, refusing to wear shoes indoors, thinking that the cleanliness of my schools were my responsibility. I would also do a lot of other things as well, which are too many to list.

It goes further than that though. See whenever people ask Axis or Allies, I don't even think and instinctively say Axis. Just as well, I absolutely adore Japanese history. I also love anime, as in evident by my profile pic.

But this is where it gets weird.

Whenever I hear the Japanese song of the kamikaze pilots, I will start crying uncontrollably, and I know the words, despite never actually looking up the lyrics. Whenever I hear the part, in Japanese, of them seeing the faces of their mothers, in my mind I see the image of a Japanese woman and the name Hitoshi comes to mind as well.

Does anyone know if this means I was Japanese in my past life or if this is just normal?

fireflydancing likes this.
  2. Skye Winters

I didn't really know where to post this...

3. Mere Dreamer

Mere Dreamer Senior Registered

I think this definitely indicates you were probably Japanese. Take a look at this thread for meditation ideas you can try in order to see if you remember anything about a previous life. Keep a journal near you, because even if you don't remember while meditating you might have dreams or other forms of insight once you make it clear that you're trying to remember something.

Write things down as they come up, even if they don't seem relevant (once something I thought was completely made up turned out to be a scientific instrument of the time). Don't worry about researching until after you have several pages of material. The not-researching thing is for your own sanity, otherwise you'll constantly question whether you're "really" remembering anything.

Give yourself plenty of time to remember. Memories from "outside of time" aren't always prompt ... or even willing to show up to prove they exist. Sometimes the forgetting is on purpose so we focus on other things in this life, so even a few hints of memory are a gift that can help you confirm that you have lifetimes in which to try new things. It helps us keep balance when we at least know that much.

Spirit Sword and Skye Winters like this.
  4. Skye Winters

Alright, I'll take that into account, and make a journal.
    Thank you for the advice :D

5. SeekerOfKnowledge

SeekerOfKnowledge Learner

I can relate to the crying. Sometimes, certain songs or scenes or words make me cry, and be it when I hear them for the 1001st time.

Sounds to me a lot like signs that you have been Japanese during WWII era indeed.

6. pathfinder

pathfinder New Member

This has me thinking. Does that imply that anyone who has a strong interest for something from a different culture/era has potentially been there? I came to understand that a strong dislike or irrational fear for something can be linked to a past life. But to think that every Manga/Anime geek out there was potentially a Japanese person, seems a bit far-fetched to me...?
    (This sounds judgmental even to my ears, but I am asking a serious question here.)

7. SeekerOfKnowledge

SeekerOfKnowledge Learner

As I understand it, a strong interest or strong dislike *can* be a link to a past life, but not necessarily means you had a past life in the country or era you feel drawn to or really dislike.
    On the other hand, there are enough possible past lives in Japan that everyone could have had one, and be it as a rice farmer. There were so many Japanese soldiers in WWII that I wouldn't say the odds are low that somebody who believes in reincarnation and begins to remember had such a past life.
    An interest in Manga/Anime stuff alone doesn't mean much, of course. Like an interest in Marvel comics alone doesn't mean you were American in your past life.
    Personally, I think that a combination of several strong likes or dislikes *can* be an indicator of a past life. Hard to tell without any dreams or memories or other factors, like being able to do things (like Skye eating with chop sticks) without being taught.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  8. fireflydancing

fireflydancing just a fly in the sky Staff Member Super Moderator

To me it is difficult. Even no interest at all might be an indicator. I think you need more clues to make a conclusion.
    All my life, I had no interest in India. One day, when I thought I was almost dying (I was sick) I suddenly made the decision to go to India and I left immediately. Arriving there was like coming home. I felt so grounded and I even met a former past life husband there. I just know inside that I must have lived there a lot of times but no flashes or memories. I just know.

About interest in manga's. I don't know. My two sons were/are big manga fans. But there were more clues. They both started to talk about Buddha at a very young age. They loved to eat with chopsticks. Tried to learn Japanese. One of them worked for several years making sushi, although he declares it's not 'real' Japanese food. The other one loved to make unknown Japanese dishes now and then. He really wanted to live in Japan. Still, I don't know. I think they were both females in Japan in former lives. They have absolutely no interest in martial arts and other male Japanese activities. Just food, language, culture and Buddha.

9. AlexD

AlexD aka Shadow

True, many times such interests stay latent for many years and emerge only at some point in one's life. I think we had many more lives than we currently remember, so the vast majority of them just remain latent and never emerge during our life. Only few of them manifest from birth or later on, maybe as we visit certain places or meet certain people.

10. Spirit Sword

Spirit Sword Senior Registered

Most of what I have to say on the matter of interest relating to past lives has already been said.

I am guessing that in many cases, the anime craze is just a cultural fad which does not necessarily indicate a past life, but which could if combined with other factors. For example, a friend of mine enjoys anime, but also has a decidedly Japanese mindset and a preference for Asiatic foods. These are definite indicators for me. Whereas I have watched an occasional anime, but I have very specific tastes, leaning mostly towards adventure stories and samurai shows. I would not use this as standalone evidence for anything, but it certainly does not disagree with my memories of being both an adventurer of sorts and a samurai.

I have spoken with Skye already, who seems to have an obsession specifically with war anime (more specifically WWII). This combined with the other evidence leaves a strong impression she was living through the second World War as a Japanese person, most likely a kamikaze or a person closely connected with one.

The game is gathering multiple pieces of evidence and trying to objectively put them together.

11. pathfinder

pathfinder New Member

As far as I am aware, I have no recollection of a past life whatsoever. And until I read this thread, I didn't even consider a Japanese connection for myself.

I had no interest in Japan at all, until a friend suggested we might study Japanese language just for fun. Since we had barely any material to work with, she soon gave up, but I couldn't let go. Whenever I hear ore read the mere word, it grabs my attention. I feel a strong pull towards Japan that I cannot explain, and I cannot even say what I am particularly interested in.
    As for Anime I prefer samurai stories and martial arts themes, as I have an affinity for swords. I have no interest in any kind of history, but I love Japanese historical movies/TV dramas as long as they don't involve WWI or II. I like kimono and classical Japanese peotry.
    As far as I can think back, I have always been a floor person. I would sometimes abandon my fluffy bed for the comfort of the hard floor. I am also fond of the traditional Japanese mindset.

Last year I grabbed a once in a lifetime chance to move to Japan. When I first set foot into this country I was baffled at how utterly non-foreign it felt to me. Certainly Japan has been westernized a great deal during the last couple decades and lost some of its original charme. That may be a possible reason. Nonetheless, I feel more comfortable and safe here than I did in my home country. But so far I haven't met any "familiar" people nor been to such places that would make me feel entirely at home. I am still missing something.
    But still I wonder...

Shiriya and fireflydancing like this.
  12. Shiriya

Shiriya Senior Member

You're not alone, brother. Listening to certain songs of eastern influence be it korean, chinese/mandarin, or japanese makes me want to tear up sometimes--especially with painful past life memories I've healed from a few years ago. Hell, I'm listening to a song right now that takes me back to one of a few lifetimes I've found out about...and it desperately makes me want to go to Japan. Sekigahara, to be exact, where my death took place. In that life, I lived in the mid 1500's during the Sengoku era training as a samurai serving some well-known generals, losing many things precious to my past self back then as a lesson to forgive my worst enemies....and to not be afraid of starting anew in this life. I could honestly write an entire book about that life, too long for me to explain in one post. :D

13. KenJ

KenJ Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Shiriya; it's a young age to recall so many lives. I hope to hear of your experiences in further posts.

14. Shiriya

Shiriya Senior Member

Awww, thank you, KenJ. :) I'll be sure to share some of my experiences sometime.

15. moonwater

moonwater Member

I share this feeling as well.
    Japanese culture has always called me. It feels very familiar to me. I've always loved and been drawn to the culture, ever since I was little, and my personality fits much more into the culture of East Asian countries, especially Japan, than the West (where I currently live).
    In addition, I've always been able to speak Japanese without an accent and despite never learning it formally. I'd hear someone speak Japanese and instinctively understand the nature of what they were saying and be able to mimic the words almost perfectly.

I got into Japanese culture and history much before I got into anime - it was actually my interest in Japan that made me feel interested in anime in the first place. Everything about Japanese culture, values, history, living, religion, etc. feels very intuitive, familiar and instinctive to me. I genuinely feel so comfortable with Japan and so drawn to it, it feels familiar and exciting at once. I truly feel as if it's my home and have felt that way since young.

When I was little I used to bow to elders until my mom told me to stop/I grew older and realized it didn't make sense since no one else did it.

I can't explain it, but Japan, especially the Edo period, feels so....right. I can tell with my heart and soul that it was my home.