Ian Stevenson page

Discussion in 'SCIENTIFIC and ANECDOTAL research' started by Deborah, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

2. Dr.K.S.Rawat

Dr.K.S.Rawat Senior Registered

It's pity !

It’s pity that most of the intelligent, educated and even scientific minded persons (like most of the participants here in the various sections of the forum, I think, are), know nothing or very little about the tremendous work done by Dr.Ian Stevenson. He is like Einstein in the field of reincarnation researches. There cannot be any serious article, presentation, or even meaningful discussion on Reincarnation researches without a mention of Dr.Stevenson‘s enormous work.
    One reason of his not being much known I think is the fact that he has never been a populist writer. He had been coming to India and had toured many countries all over the world for 25 years till 1986 but did not permit any one to interview him. Even his colleagues were surprised on his consenting me for it when we first met in Delhi. (The interview is in the Library section here).
    He is indeed not an easily readable author but he is a MUST for any one seriously interested in the subject of reincarnation.

faye lorraine and LINDA YESENIA like this.
  3. Titus Rivas

Titus Rivas Senior Registered

Dr. Stevenson

Ian Stevenson should get a Nobel Prize for his work!
    It's very unjust that he hasn't got one yet. Let's hope he will sooner or later enjoy the fruits of his contributions...

He is 85 years old and still active.

Titus

faye lorraine likes this.
  4. SophieP

SophieP Senior Registered

I have recently read 'old souls - scientific proof for past lives' and can hugely recommend it. It is an excellent book and well worth a read.
    Ian Stevenson really deserves better recognition for his work. I am currently reading 'Return from Heaven' by Carol Bowman and can recommend this too.

5. Dr.K.S.Rawat

Dr.K.S.Rawat Senior Registered

Yes SophieP,
    'Old Souls' is a nice book.
    And, the last sentence , what a subtle ending,is a challange for all the critics.
    ;)

I appreciate your saying "could be true".

"I learned long ago to try to be careful about these things"
    Very nice!
    The problem with most of the beliefs/ideas/theories in these fields is that they are just speculative.I would personally like to have all these with solid empirical proves.Reincarnation hypothesis has lot of factual evidences now. I have in my organization more than 500 files of children claiming to recall one (sometimes more) past life/s.
    Of course, not all are strong but many are such that cannot be explained by any other hypothesis except reincarnation.
    Best wishes,Dorie!:)

No Dorie.My remark was not about Dr.Stevenson.It was with regard to other theories etc.
    I am sorry I gave a wrong impression.

6. Helen Mills

Helen Mills Senior Registered

Dr. Ian Stevenson

Hi, Deborah!
    I once inquired about Dr. Ian Stevenson...it's been so long, I don't hardly recall, but it seems that he has children as his clients. He seems to dismiss any adult who would like his opinion. Maybe this is what turns people off.
    I also think I remember reading (somewhere) that he uses hypnosis on these children. It seems to me that I have a book in my collection which speaks of this. Maybe this, too, is what turns people off.
    In my opinion, hypnosis should not be allowed.
    Has anyone out there ever heard of him doing this?

7. Deborah

Happy Easter!

Dr. Ian Stevenson - only researches children who have spontaneous memories. To my knowledge he never uses hypnosis on children. I think you are mistaken. ;)

His approach is VERY scientific and his papers read like science reports. Perhaps that is the difficulty most people have when they want to read about his research. It's like doing research...many many cases and reports. Not necessarily enjoyable reading.

Jim B. Tucker has taken over his research - Stevenson has retired.

8. Deborah

In fact - if you open the link in the first post in this thread you will read the following;

And if you read a little further down -

faye lorraine likes this.
  9. Helen Mills

Dr. Ian Stevens

Thanks Deborah.
    Memory does play tricks, but if my memory serves me, the book told about Dr. Stevenson's travels around the earth following leads of children who demonstrated that they remembered past lives. It seems that one little boy insisted that a particular woman was his wife. Apparently, the woman's husband had died a short while before, but long enough for this child to be a few years older. Maybe someone else can also throw some light on this. I'm puzzled.

10. Helen Mills

Dr.Ian Stevenson

Hello!
    Dorie, I read your info. about the 'little boy'. I think he lived in India.
    One of these days I'll search through my books (not catalogued) to see if I can find that particular one or one other which would have discussed some of Dr. Ian Stevenson's work. He certainly should be commended for doing an enormous amount of research. He has been a real 'trail blazer'.

11. Helen Mills

Dr.Ian Stevenson

Hello Deborah,

I located one book I have which tells a bit about Dr. Ian Stevenson and his work in Chapter Three (The Scientific View of Reincarnation). The book is entitled 'Life Beyond Life The Evidence for Reincarnation' by Hans Holzer.
    Check page 13 approximately half way down. I would say that this is what I recall about Dr. Stevenson and hypnosis. Perhaps I'm not understanding exactly what Dr. Holzer is trying to inform us about in regards to a man he obviously admires.

12. Helen Mills

Dr. Ian Stevenson

Hello Deborah,

Quote,"Dr. Stevenson, just as any responsible parapsychologist, always looks for alternate explanations so that he may rule them out, before he accepts reincarnation as the answer to a puzzling case. Everything is considered: early experiences, accidental information, newspaper accounts--anything that might have been forgotten consciously but can be brought out under hypnosis."

13. Deborah

I think the passage is in reference to "Being responsible" in research {Like any responsible parapsychologist} and then the author lists the ways in which researchers can find out if their client is having memories from a past life or if the information was gained in this life - unconsciously.

I know of no reference in Stevenson's work with hypnosis being used with children. Perhaps Jim B. Tucker can answer this one. He is Ian Stevenson's replacement at the University and is continuing his Stevenson's work.

"Everything is considered: early experiences, accidental information, newspaper accounts--anything that might have been forgotten consciously but can be brought out under hypnosis."

14. Kolo

Kolo Probationary

Reincarnation - karma

I think now it is important to focus on WHY we reincarnate.

karma and reincarnation do not require proof anymore .. they are. In fact they are part of the Creational Laws of the Universe.

Why do we reincarnate - back into lives, with the same people, differing relationships but basically 'knowing' another.

What one has caused, one must live to experience that cause (if not that life, then the ensuing lives)

It is because of humanities extreme karmic debt - to each other, to others.. even places and things.
    It is these unresolved karmas, that will cause us to keep coming back, to see - UNDERSTAND - and say sorry.. or forgive, when we couldnt way back then.
    And karma is such, that it will keep on through the ages, through future ancestors eternally, until SEEN, UNDERSTOOD AND RELEASED (with Forgiveness).

But we never do - we never understand, never see (the pastlife circumstance that we are still living) and therefore never forgive... and so it goes on and on.

Children are not absolved from karma, nor the pope, the Delai Llama, noone.

It CAN be dismantled - 'completed' - healed.
    And must, if humanity is to ascend to the new age.
    As we cannot ascend with unresolved karmic debt.

Namaste
    Kolo

15. Helen Mills

Ian Stevenson

Hello, folks!

Did anyone contact Dr. Ian Stevenson re: using hypnosis (or not) on children? Someone had mentioned that he lived rather close to them.

Initally, children remember spontaniously, but there is nothing to say that Dr. Stevenson or any other in his field, used hypnosis in the process of follow-up after the case was brought to his attention and after he agreed to research that particular child...is there?

Helen

16. lagrima

lagrima It wasn't MPD after all!

17. Helen Mills

Ian Stevenson

Hello!

I read and re-read the article, but, in my opinion, it does not prove to me that he did not use hypnosis.

There are different types of dreams.

From personal experience...I know that the dream I had when I was five, supports the existance of reincarnation. I have never allowed myself to be hypnotized. The memory of that dream is as vivid today as it was fifty-six years ago.

I know I lived in another time and in another place. I know who I was and I know the exact home. I've gone there a few times...it's an historical place...open to the public. I have even found my grave.

18. anentity

anentity New Member

Interesting link on Stevenson.

After all those "I do nots..." Stevenson then says

So it seems that only in the form of "serious research", he condones hypnotic regression. Would that apply to the children he is researching?

19. Helen Mills

Ian Stevenson

Hello Anenity,

Thank you for that! I guess if one is going to quote someone, it is best to quote it all. Dr. Stevenson was 'serious' about his work. I feel he did not work with adults due to the fact, in my opinion, that they could have been influenced throughout their lives and that that influence would have an effect on the material obtained during hypnosis.

I, personally, inquired about that to either him or his people and I, basically, was told that he didn't work with adults. I was interested in telling my own story to see what he would think of it, but...to no avail.

Helen

20. lagrima

lagrima It wasn't MPD after all!

Helen,

Dr. Ian Stevenson's staff approached me about my experience. I also have some published work Dr. Stevenson did on adult reincarnation experiences (all from dreams).

So, he has done some work. But, it is very very minimal. I think they would be interested if, like my case, they found an adult with documented spontaneous memories similar to those of children.

Were you hypnotized?