• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

If we believe in reincarnation now will we believe in lives to come?

wpnorman

If we believe in reincarnation in this life will we believe in reincarnation in our future lives? It seems that we have to be spiritually evolved somewhat to come to the conclusion of reincarnation. Therefore, I wonder if, since our souls are growing spiritually with each life, will be remember, will we believe?

That's a good question. :thumbsup:

I don't know but I guess that if we have already had some "spiritual enlightening" it has its consequences in our future lives. But I'm not sure if it means we necessarily have to believe in reincarnation, because people can be good, behave well and in an enlightened way even if they don't believe in reincarnation.

To me it's not like many other religions where they say you have to believe in their god and writings in order to "be saved". :rolleyes:

Karoliina

Yes, I think it depends on cultural values in whatever place you find yourself.

On the other hand ... I also believe that you determine your life's events --- and not just in the obvious way (by making decisions, etc.). So, if you believe in reincarnation in one life, you will somehow create events that remind you of this knowledge in other lives (even if the society you inhabit doesn't generally believe in it).

Karoliina said:
...because people can be good, behave well and in an enlightened way even if they don't believe in reincarnation.
I definitely agree with that. ;)

Justin Smith said:
So, if you believe in reincarnation in one life, you will somehow create events that remind you of this knowledge in other lives

I firmly believe that what we hold onto -- we create for ourselves, so this makes a lot of sense to me. Although I am certain that in prior lives -- I have had knowledge of reincarnation dispersed between lives where I was Catholic, ...perhaps I did not remember about reincarnation because I chose to experience a different view. ;)

Ailish

I think we're all reincarnated with the basic seed of spirituality. From there, all according how well we listen to our inner being/soul, we are exposed to many options and belief systems. Since we have been enlightened to some degree in our PL, we relearn or remember those lessons we most need.

John

It has been said that, if we embrace the idea of reincarnation in this life, as soon as we hear of it in our next life, we will immediately be attracted to it.

I'm hoping that in the future, reincarnation will become a more wide-spread belief, and that maybe even everyone will believe and accept it as truth. I think I will believe in reincarnation in my next life, but it'd be nice to not be in what feels like the minority... :)

If we believe in reincarnation now will we believe in lives to come?
Judging from the world we live in, that would depend on the kind of society you will take birth in. Based on my reading of threads here, most people on this forum did not believe in reincarnation to begin with but started believing in it later on. That could happen to people again in future lives, or worse yet, they may continue to not believe as happens to even more people. Besides, we forget so many simpler things we learn in one life, such as languages, arithmatic, history, etc. and have to start all over again in each life.

wpnorman said:
If we believe in reincarnation in this life will we believe in reincarnation in our future lives? It seems that we have to be spiritually evolved somewhat to come to the conclusion of reincarnation. Therefore, I wonder if, since our souls are growing spiritually with each life, will be remember, will we believe?

Your mileage may vary, but in my case, I'd say that is a big YES.

I believed in reincarnation in my most recent past life. It was a very significant part of my belief system. And that carried over to my childhood in this one.

I can remember being about 5 and trying to understand why I didn't remember my prior life's memories the same as I remembered what I did yesterday. There was just this black, blank wall when I tried to remember. Thankfully.

I also believed that exposure to the concept of reincarnation, even if they were not convinced in that life, would cause them to be more open to the idea in the next.

Phoenix

This is a question I asked myself many times.I fear that I will lose all I know how,and I will have to live in a fundamentalist family or an atheist one in the next life.I hope this will not happen and that I will believe/know about reincarnation.As one of you said,maybe the first time I will hear about it I will "know" it is true,just like how it happened in this life:thumbsup:

Hello MetalPanda and welcome. :)

I wonder about this too. I am concerned that everything I've learned in this life will all be forgotten in the next. I like to think that I'm accumulating knowledge to take with me into the future. I'd hate to think that I will have to start all over again. Hopefully, things will easily be relearned.

I also wonder if and what I knew about past lives in previous lives. Maybe what I'm learning now I already knew and am just relearning from the past.

Welcome MetalPanda.

My personal opinion is that the only important thing in your next life - as in this life - is what kind of person you are. Whether you are raised in war torn Africa, Amazonia or modern Europe, are you the person you were meant to be, the person you had intended to be before you were born.

I think that there are some qualities like kindness, generosity, compassion that we can cultivate no matter what the culture or lifestyle that we are born into. As long as we can be human beings of virtue who practice the ideals that are held in common among mankind, then, I think, we will have lived a successful life.

I believe we won't go "backwards" spiritually. If you're open and tolerant to different philosophies in this life, and believe - like we like to think here - in the "right" things ;) I'd find it really hard to believe you'd be a narrow-minded fundamentalist in your following incarnations.

Karoliina

MetalPanda: A couple centuries ago a friend of mine asked me if I believed in reincarnation, and I said something like, "well, if there is God let me remember this discussion!" :laugh: And wouldn't you know that actually is one of the first memories I've had of a previous life. I actually started a thread about it.

I like to think we don't go 'backwards.' If I've seen the light, I don't want to go back to living in the dark again. : angel I'd like to find out more about what my spirtual views were in the past, or if I had any knowledge of past lives.

Back