Irrational fears?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Rustic_Kid, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Rustic_Kid

Rustic_Kid New Member

Anyone else? I have a few, but one that is unusual that I can not explain is a fear of whirlpools. The ones in bathtubs, spas and pools don't bother me. Ocean and river ones scare me! Just the thought of it gives me the chills! I don't know if this is past life related or not? I haven't had any thing happen with whirlpools in this lifetime.

2. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

I think a lot of irrational fears are related to past life experiences. I have some myself, like a fear of being hit by objects falling from space. We won't go into that! Sometimes, I have heard people refer to being "pulled back into the eddies of time." Could the whirlpools refer to a fear of being over-whelmed by past life memories? If it does, you have obviously overcome that fear. It will be interesting to see if it goes away as you explore your memories.

3. Rustic_Kid

Rustic_Kid New Member

I like your comparison, that's a neat little way to look at it! I never thought of it that way before...I have had quite a few dreams about going "down to earth" through like this tube or "suction" of falling from the sky. Don't know if thats related to my fear of whirlpools. It does make me think of those dreams.

4. BriarRose

Could the "falling from the sky" have something to do with a WWII paratrooper being sucked out of a plane, and the failure of a chute to open? I don't want you to jump to conclusions (no pun intended!) I am not qualified, or able to tell you what your past lives may have been. I want you to open your mind to possibilities. The other dream you describe, that of being pulled to earth in a tube, is pretty classic past life symbolism. Have you read "Saved By The Light", by Dannion Brinkley? I am going to recommend his book to you because he is a fellow Southerner, and the book has something of a military orientation. It's more about Near Death Experience than reincarnation, but the two sometimes seem to go hand-in-hand.

5. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

I'm guessing it is past life related. You may have drowned in a river. The whirlpool may have been rapids or a waterfall. Or maybe you were on a sinking ship. Or caught in the suction of a sinking ship. More than one possibility here. Have you had this fear from childhood?

6. Sarellah

Sarellah Senior Registered

My irrational fear is of not learning enough in this life (from pain), but I know that is irrational...It's why I caused myself pain for so long though...

Peace of mind likes this.
  7. Lady2

Lady2 Senior Registered

Irrational fears are absolutely on the list of past life clues! :)

Have you had dreams, or experiences that could be clues to your fear? Meditated on it?

8. Ankhe

Ankhe New Member

I have a fear of pure darkness... at night, I must have at least one light on and I much prefer a cat to be on my bed... it feels as if they protect me =D

9. Mimic

Mimic New Member

Large boats make me nauseous and nervous. Always have. My parents took me on a ferry crossing as a child, I was a wreck the entire time. My dad had to take me below deck. There's a tourist attraction of an old naval vessel near where I live. I find it fascinating, but even this docked boat makes me feel nauseous.

If it's bigger than a canoe or a kayak -which I actually love - I'm not getting on it

Also heights. But this may be inherited through observing my dad freak out at the thought of heights.

10. Red Night

Red Night Senior Registered

Any form of sudden movement; getting dropped, pulled, pushed, falling... Obviously no one likes that sort of thing, but even when I'm expecting it, or doing it for fun (i.e. roller coasters; rough housing) I absolutely hate it. It's a horrible feeling to me. I also hate heights. The two are probably related....

I can kinda be a jerk sometimes, so maybe somebody pushed me off of a building! haha

11. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

I have an absolutely irrational fear of looking down into water the bottom of which is not evident. If I cannot see the bottom, and the beams of light penetrating the stygian depths grow dark into an apparent abyss, I get a nearly uncontrollable sense of breathlessness.

I have lived on the water on navy ships, recreationally boated most of my life, snorkeled all over the Caribbean and have been an avid surfer for over 35 years...and successfully avoided a pointed glance directly down into the water. Amazing what one can avoid if one tries hard enough!

The scene in "Master and Commander" where the "cursed" mid-shipman grabbed the cannonball and jumped overboard and slid into the depths almost made me jump out of my skin, so I assume there was some dramatic role I played along those lines, though I cannot imagine doing it voluntarily.

12. BriarRose

None of you know the real meaning of irrational fears. Besides my concerns about being "beaned" by a falling comet, or space debris, I am afraid of a "rogue" planet wandering into our galaxy, and disrupting the fabric of the universe. My husband's face was a study in embarrassment when I asked about this on a recent visit to the Lowell Observatory. Okay, so I don't worry about it much, but both thoughts cause a shiver of terror. : angel From the poems of Robert Frost, I think his mind wandered there, too. These fears can't possibly be PL related, but the fear I have of winding up as a sad ghost possibly could!

13. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

How do you know they can't be PL related?

14. JessiBS6

JessiBS6 New Member

Since I was a child I have some fears that I consider to be irrational and I have never met anyone who has anything like that. I've done research and never found an answer.
    I have fears related to sound, energy overload and unstable things. And I realized that these "fears" became more frequent, because I have them every day and it makes me very distressed.

During the day I avoid doing certain activities to prevent these sensations from appearing.
    But I also have other types of common fears, such as spiders, tremors, explosions ... However, what makes me more anxious are these irrational fears, of which I cannot find the source.

I apologize for the English, I understand only the basics and I am using the google translator.

15. Tinnos

Tinnos Active Member

I'm terrified of getting trapped. Or seeing other people get trapped. Mainly, if the entrapment also leads to suffocation, drowning, or burning to death. Of course those are real dangers and it makes sense to be afraid of them, but I mean, I can't watch scenes like that in movies and I have nightmares about it. One time someone I knew decided it would be absolutely frickin' hilarious to share a movie scene with me, without warning me, in which someone is locked in a car with no way out and then left in a lake to slowly drown. I still can't unsee it.
    Also pregnancy, but my fear of that is a bit psychologically complex and actually has little to do with the physical problems.

16. fireflydancing

fireflydancing just a fly in the sky Staff Member Super Moderator

Irrational fears. I guess everyone has their own set of weird fears. I think it's also equally interesting when people have no fear at all for things commonly recognized as fearful. I am not afraid of darkness (I don't mind walking - alone - through a pith dark forest for example), not afraid of ghosts, mice, spiders, mad people, bullies, heights, and all those things.
    Then, I'll get a panic attack just only thinking of going to an underground place through a small entrance, like a hole. Even writing this down is highly uncomfortable.
    Probably something to do with an old or ancient prison cell. I do have a probable memory of dying in such a place, but in this memory, there was no panic involved, so there might be another story behind this fear.
    Another fear that has bothered me throughout my life: violent people crashing my front door and entering. Sounds not extreme, but so many times I got problems breathing just imagining that.
    And I've also been highly uncomfortable around 'silent water'. Just silent water and nobody in it, no current nor waves. As a kid, I used to go swimming before schooltime in the early morning in summer, and I forced myself over and over again to jump into an empty swimming pool. I was not aware of reincarnation or possibly past life experiences. It was only the seconds before jumping into the water that were stressful, as soon as I started to swim the light panic mode had vanished.
    I do have some clues that I might have drowned in the past, after falling through the ice in the winter. I've seen those images during a regression session with a Youtube video. But as I didn't feel emotionally involved with all the images I saw, I don't know how to interpret and/or validate memories without emotional back-up.
    Last, a bit related to my first mentioned fear for small entrance rooms: fear for getting stuck underground. I can't watch geologists exploring caves and tunnels. I would literally rather die before going underground through an unknown and small tunnel. This is not only uncomfortable, it's a no-no-no-no-noooo!!
    On the other hand: I don't mind going underground in general. I've been in mines, caves, tunnels (as a tourist) and I didn't even remember having fears. It's highly specific: crawling through an underground tunnel and getting stuck is the problem.

Jim78 likes this.