Irrational phobias

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by fussywidjit, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Royal12

Royal12 New Member

My Ornithophobia!

Hey ChrisR, Thanks for those links. To tell you, while I'm reading the 2nd link, my anxiety doubled as I feel/react exactly the same way as someone described there at the sight of a bird. Also, a sort of relief that my fear is not rare:). when I opened your first link, immediately closed it at the sight of huge owl staring at me.:freak: And regarding overcoming this fear, I always avoided it, thinking its impossible going near a bird by myself consiously.

Hello Nightrain1, appreciate your time to understand my fear. As you said, I strongly feel there is a deep impression subconsciously which bothers me for birds, dont know what & why. People close to me know about my phobia and wonder y i scare so much. I would try out the Self Regression ways you suggested as I find time alone at home.

My answers to your questions:

Are there species of birds that are more frightening than others? Not specifically.

Does the sight of dead birds bother you at all? I'm sure dead or alive I will be equally scared but live bird would double my anxiety as the flapping of wings, their moving eyes will make me run away.

How about illustrations and emblems of birds? I change my sight whenevr I see them on screen or any website or poster. there will be quick jerk in my body and have to make an effort to cooldown and divert.

Do bird sounds bother you? obviously yes, bcoz i remember them.

Have you ever googled "Fear of Birds", or "Bird Phobia"? yes, i did and found its kind of rare.

Do you avoid parks or places where pigeons gather? yes, completely. I do not go near to them, there is a lake near my place and there are ducks...i never go there. When I went to beach, could not enjoy, although I love sea bcoz there were birds all over. My husband continously consoled me tht am fine. I felt , would have died on the spot if he wasn't around.

Do you react to cooked chicken, turkey, duck, squab, etc? NO (this surprises me, and my mom often teases me y do i eat chicken whn am so scared to see a live one. This is wierd but I love chicken dishes.

Do you like bird dogs? I sure do . Sorry, i dont knw what they are...I googled to see that they are dogs, I'm not scard of dogs or any other animal.

2. Royal12

Royal12 New Member

Real experiences...

I would like to share one of the most scary experiences that I had with a bird. There used to be huge old eagle sitting on top of water tanker in my neigbors terrace. (This is whn I was in india, and we have water tankers on the terrace of buildings in India)

I never used to visit my neigbors terrace bcoz of tht bird, inspite of repeated invitations from my best friend who used to reside in tht building. she always assured me that the bird never comes down to us, as she never saw it flew down from 15 yrs she had been residing there. But I was always too scared.

One bright evening when I was standing on my terrace, there was suddenly a huge shade that covered my head, before I could lift my head, this bird hit me so hard and flew away that I almost fell down . I wasnt sure wht hit me at first,and when I realized its this bird, I shivered to death and cannot explain how I felt tht moment. I could not get out of my house for some days, completely sacred. This girl who used to assure me that the bird would never come down to us, was shocked and started believing that there is a reason for my fears. (In india, bird hitting on head is considered a bad sign of fortune). I always made sure my friends know abt my fear of birds so that they will not get a bird near me unknowingly.

There are small incidents now n then in my 29 yrs of life where people assure their (pet) birds are friendly, but then I have some terrifying experiences with them too (they are negligible for them but not for me) I used to shout madly whn pigeons flew inside our windows (this is common in india for pigeons to make their nest in windows, attics etc) and father used to throw their nests outside for my sake, while my mother felt pity for poor birds.

One thing I wanted to mention, dont knw if there is a link associated. I sometimes dreamt of flying myself. I appear as myself only in dreams and experiene the pleasure of elevating myself from ground and move in air so freely and rapidly, and people wouldnt care to notice me flying...I'm Wierdd...

3. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

Hi Royal!

That last question about the bird dogs was a little bit of light heartedness that I slipped in, because I'm a dog "nut". :laugh:

Well, based on your answers to the other questions, you are a bona fide ornithophobic; and I would like to award you with an official certificate, but it has a bird on it. ;)

Anyway...Since you have no other clues from this present life, I would opine that you would likely be successful at finding a reason for such a phobia through past life regression. I believe some therapists suggest that you specify what you would like to accomplish or solve in the regression. So, it would seem that you are quite fortunate in knowing exactly what to go for.

The fact that such a phobia is so pronounced seems to suggest that an explanation lies close to the surface of your unconscious mind, and you might benefit greatly by going to a good and reputable therapist with credentials. Be mindful of whatever background sound is employed to help you relax during the process, if any. Sounds of nature, for example, have bird sounds, which can either interfere with the session, or it could help trigger some memory, while you are trying to visualize.

If you are considering self-regression meditation, take advantage of the "BOOKS and LINKS About Reincarnation"; and, do please ask questions often. Everyone here will "bend over backwards" for you. (I often wonder what the idiom of bending over backwards has to do with anything; but it sure creates a silly visual, doesn't it?) :laugh:

-Nightrain

4. babyghost

babyghost babyghost

Sound of Jets and certain aeroplanes

:) Hi! I wonder if what I experience when certain planes fly, is linked to a past life event similar to fussys. When certain jets and some aeroplanes fly over, there is a certain aching sound. Wherever Iam, if one of those are flying above, I have to listen to it until the sound fades away completely, regardless of what Iam doing at that moment. It could be day or night, when I hear that aero sound, my heart aches and I have no explanations to tell you why. Wonder if anyone else here have any insights into what Iam experiencing. It has been like that since I was a child. At times I thought could it be, in another past life, I was involved in a war may be.

5. Nightrain

Hi Babyghost! And welcome to the Forum!

The first impression I had was of the bombing raids in London during WWII. Of course, I'm not psychic, and there were many other places in the world, which involved aerial bombing. In addition, the Germans had only just developed the first jet propelled planes, but they were only employed as defense fighters, and not very effectively. But, if the sound of prop engines is more troublesome, then your fear could be generalized as being associated with any flying craft.

Other possibilities, besides the London bombing raids, could include literally thousands of raids, crashes, and the like around the world. But we could narrow it down by finding out, if your fears vary in intensity during certain times of the day our night. If you have any heightened emotions regarding certain countries or cultures, there could be a tie-in there.

So, try asking yourself about details, whenever you hear a plane, and one of two things will happen. Either you might discover new insights; or, you may simply find your fears diminishing.

Meditation is a good way of approaching this issue; and you can find sources for books, CD's, and articles below, where it says, "Forum Jump". Then select, "BOOKS and LINKS About Reincarnation". You can also obtain tremendous inspiration by reading the many threads and posts in this Forum, which relate to your particular interest. By all means, please stay in touch with us, and keep asking questions. OK?

-Nightrain

6. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Hi babyghost, welcome to the forum :)

I'm also thinking of the bombing raids during world war 2. It's interesting that you feel you have to keep listening to those aircraft until the sound has faded away. In the latter half of the war, Hitler used the V-1 flying bomb, or 'buzz bomb', better known in Britain as the 'Doodlebug'.

These jet-powered missiles would fly over to Britain from France, and when they reached their target, the engine would cut, and the missile would fall (in silence) from the sky onto the target below, most of the casualties were civilians.

These bombs really terrorized the citizens of London, not just because of the devastating damage that they caused, but also because they could be heard coming closer and closer.... everyone below waiting for, and dreading that 'silence' as the engine cut. It wouldn't be until that buzzing sound started to fade away into the distance that people knew that they were safe.... for now!

I wonder if that could explain why, whenever you hear that certain sound, you feel you have to keep listening until it's gone? These missiles had a very distinctive sound, but unfortunately, words cannot describe that sound adequately enough.

Just a thought.

Chris :)

7. Nightrain

If this helps any, I remember seeing newsreels of the doodlebugs in flight, and they sounded pretty much like a dirt bike. The V2 rockets, on the other hand were silent as they approached their target, because their air speed was around Mach I, or the speed of sound.

The drone of bombers would have sounded remarkably like the annual "Rolling Thunder" motorcycle parade in Washington, DC.

I suppose a good question for Babyghost would be, "Does the rumble of 100 or more Harleys frighten you? Or, is the sound of a single aircraft frighten you more?".

-Nightrain

8. ChrisR

I found a sound recording of the doodlebug in flight

:)
    It's just an idea babyghost, I'm not for a minute suggesting that these missiles are what you are remembering, but have a listen to the clip and see what you think :)

9. tanguerra

tanguerra Senior Registered

Ooooh that's a creepy sound ChrisR! The sound of air raid sirens always puts the wind up me too!

10. wednesday

wednesday Senior Registered

I think sirens will be one of my phobias in my next life....tornado sirens. I've had a few close calls in this life and the sound of the sirens are starting to make me jump now.

I think I wrote this one on this forum once already but here it is again. Balloons. Not the silvery kind that have writing on them but the little rubber ones. If someone starts blowing those things up I'm out of there. Most people I heard that are afraid of them say it's because the pop reminds them of gunfire. However the sound of a gun doesn't bother me, neither does pretty much anything that pops, bangs, booms, or whatever. I actually like the sound of fireworks. So I don't know what it is with the balloons. I know that the fastest I probably ever got out of a house was at a little kids birthday party when the decided to have a balloon popping contest......Sorry kid, have a nice birthday, but I'm leaving NOW. :)

11. Owl

Owl Super-alt Mitglied

I realized this recently, but i think i have a fear of needles... however... it`s not the normal fear of needles most people have, aka, fear of getting blood drawn, a vaccine, etc, i`m totally fine with those, but i`m scared of administrating a vaccine (i should have done the practises last year and i still haven`t ) or drawing blood from other people, and i realize i avoid it every time i can putting lots of excuses, or if i have to do it i just get nervous and do everything wrong :( and i HAVE to do those stuff, gosh i`m in med school...

12. stardis

stardis Senior Registered

Hello Owl.

Sticking people gets easier over time. The trick is to not think about your fears but to just do it.

13. Nightrain

Hi Owl! That kind of phobia can certainly be overcome. Of course, you know all about practicing on fruit. But, the real key is to pick something that you don't like. Or, try a tomato and imagine it's your Professor. :laugh:

-Nightrain

14. Florence

Florence Senior Registered

As a very little child I had a terrible fear that my mother would forget me if we would take the streetcar and go downtown. I would cling to her dress or coat and stand right beside her seated even if there was a vacant seat across the way. I would be in misery when we stood to get off. I was afraid to get off first because the car might tak my mother away and I was afraid to be last for fear the streetcar would close the door and take me away.....lost forever. I got over it at age 12....if you can imagine that....I took a bus alone to a place that I could walk home from and from then on I was OK

My other fear from the same early years of 3 or 4 was a fear that the furnace or water heater would blow up. They used to have BIG vacuums that sat on the lawn. They were like a big sausage 6 feet long and 4 feet wide. They cleaned out basements and coal bins. The kids would run and fling themselves into them. My sister Monie would run at it and I would go into a panic that it would explode. This fear has stayed with me for many years but is gradually fading as I reason with myself.

I was born with these two phobias so I'm sure that somewhere back in time I was lost or forgotten and

and I had a trauma with an exposion....

On the bright side...I don't seem to have come up with anything new in this life to carry on into the next.......so that's great !! This life was a little tough so I'm expecting the next one to be a vacation...( From my mouth to God's ears ) :)

15. msmir

msmir New Member

Yes, vomit!! And I have kids who luckily rarely do and if they do my husband cares for it, thank heavens. It stemmed from enduring the horrific experiments in Auschwitz. Doesn't take a genius to figure out where the phobia stemmed from. Even though I know this, I am on a soul level just not ready to face it yet.. and it's okay.. remember, we have to heal at our own pace.

16. Nightrain

Here is a thread that had a good run for a while. Perhaps it might still have considerable significance. Here is a video that might help to restart the discussion.

:D

17. Jody

Jody Senior Registered

Thanks for the laugh, John! (Very funny video:laugh:)

I've always had an irrational phobia of being poisoned. I honestly can't imagine where it came from, if not from a past life.

18. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

This is a subject that never ceases to interest me.

Do other members have strange phobias to share? :)

19. Delonada

Delonada Senior Registered

I was encouraged to post one of the weirdest childhood phobias I had(it's less now, but I can still "sense" it for a lack of a better word).

When I was a kid I had a huge phobia of buttons on shirts, but mostly when I was eating. I'd get physically ill just trying to eat food while I could accidentally see a button. It was so bad that while I was in kindergarten I had to eat my meals in a separate room. Even at home I would eat in the living room while my parents ate in the kitchen as my dad always wore shirts.

Remains a mystery to my mom who still thinks about this from time to time.

20. ChrisR

Hi Delonada,

It's often unusual phobias like yours that further convince me that these fears have their roots in a past life. If it's a mystery to your mother, then obviously you've had no kind of traumatic experience involving buttons in your present life, so maybe you were a young child in a past life who choked on a button? These things do happen of course, but would something like that be enough to generate a button phobia in subsequent lives?

You say you have a phobia of buttons on shirts, what about loose buttons? How would it affect you if somebody were to empty a jar full of buttons into your cupped hands? Interesting that the phobia is present mainly when you are eating too.