Irrational phobias

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by fussywidjit, Oct 17, 2005.

1. dr_what

dr_what New Member

hmm, i have a fear of water. not like in the bathtub or shower. i cant swim because i refuse to learn because it'd mean going into water. my dad was in the Navy, so we'd go on his ships as a kid, and i'd be scared to death that i'd drown. i've never almost drowned as a kid or anything. i've always just had a phobia of water i cant see the bottom of, and water higher than just below my knees.

things being around my neck and wrists. really, even in winter i wear short sleeve shirts. i cant even wear necklaces or bracelets or watches. if i wear a coat, it has to be loose around the wrist. if anything's around my neck, i feel like i'm suffocating.

2. Delonada

Delonada Senior Registered

The phobia was such that I didn't want to see buttons at all when eating, whether on shirts, a dress, in a jar or on a pet bear. Even these days I feel a strong dislike towards particular buttons although I've managed to curb it towards most. For example, the big buttons on some coats(especially buttons that are like the size of your palm) still give me an uneasy feeling.

3. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

I get almost irrational when in deep water and looking straight down...to see the beams of light ending in a dark, endless abyss leaves my breath catching in my throat, and my whole body feeling compressed. I have no problem relating this to being conscious of a weighted descent into the depths in a previous incarnation...a demise I hope not to repeat. I surf, snorkle and scuba and when faced with a glance down I seem to automatically close my eyes in order to avoid such visions, and when unavoidable I must work through the effects in their entirety.

Another fear I first only noted in the past decade occurred while driving down Pacific Coast Highway south of San Francisco. My father, a retired navy and airline pilot and drilled with careful, was well within speed limits and I was riding shotgun...all of a sudden we rounded an unguarded curve which left me with a tremendous view of the surf frothing 200 feet below. I nearly went out of my head...I braced myself and shouted to a surprised dad to slow down. He grinned and told me to settle down...we had just rounded the same kind of corner only a half dozen times on this drive. Something found the surface of my consciousness and really rocked me...and it hasn't gone away yet. (Shades of my 1905 auto accident?) Fortunately I spend most of my time in the ancient alluvial plains of Florida where vertical geographic profiles are extremely shallow.

4. kmatjhwy

kmatjhwy Senior Member Staff Member

Now personally as for myself, I seem to have a real fear of elevators, escalators, and modern machinery. And this seems sometimes to just get worse as I get older. When I was young, I got my shoe caught in some escalator but was able to get my foot out before any harm came. But this fear of escalators and elevators also extends to include modern machinery also. Now when I see some machinery with all the gears and so forth, I really do have some real deep inner fear it seems. As for myself, I try to stay clear of such machinery and even sometimes find myself taking the stairs instead of using any elevators or escalators it seems.

And as for cars and automobiles, I do not drive. There was a time in my life that I drove some but not anymore onebit. But I ended up giving away the car and have not driven since. And I have even gotten rid of my driving license to make me unable to drive in the eyes of the law of this modern society. And am totally at peace and happy with not driving in this modern day age! Most of the time am out hiking and walking also in some deep wilderness wilds. Now one of my most closest friends to myself, who I do think we have shared some past lives together and just like me totally interested in the deep wilds and the old survival skills. This close friend to myself also does not drive one bit and never even ever learned to drive.

As for myself I find this interesting.

5. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

Phobias that are acquired over time are, in my opinion, rational phobias -- even when they seem irrational. When I was younger, I never had a problem traveling at excessive speeds or climbing to great heights, even when I was sitting unbelted on the edge of a helicopter seat with the bay doors open. Since then, however, age and maturity have made me less trustful of everything whether borne of nature or the hand of man.

But, one thing that has always scared me more than death, itself, is ignorance -- especially when it is in league with arrogance. The specter of this evil is most fearsome to me in the form of civil and religious authority, which, when loosely defined, includes the relentless authority exacted upon us by cynical skeptics who base their religious belief solely upon material reductionism.

6. Mammatus

Mammatus A Squid With a Rocketship

I could never explain this, but I have always had this irrational fear of getting my legs stuck under things and my knees popping out. Most people would shudder at this anyway, but it physically makes me sick to think about.

I am also scared to death of being left somewhere and forgotten when I'm in desperate need.....I don't know why, and I used to have nightmares about it, even though it's never happened in this life.

I'm afraid of heights tremendously, the dark, and elevators.

7. kemetic18

kemetic18 Senior Registered

I have a fear of my knees being twisted or bent the wrong way - like if someone were to run into me and hyperextend the joint the wrong way. Ack, the thought of it makes my skin crawl! :eek:

8. Hollis

Hollis New Member

I've had a phobia of vomit since as long as I can remember. Even when I was a baby if someone was vomiting and I could hear it happening I would scream and cry. When I was a child and it occurred I would begin to panic and I remember using both hands to cover my ears and nose while closing my eyes until it was over. I would never enter the area it happened in until I forgot about it. I didn't want that person near me either.

When I got into my early teens I got better with it but I couldn't let other people hear or see me vomiting myself. I would go outside to do it.

Somewhat related to that, I also have always been obsessive and preoccupied with fears of being ill with something life-threatening. I remember feeling the glands in my neck and being terrified that I had cancer or something similar.

I'm not sure where either of these came from. When I was a kid I hated watching things on plagues but at the same time I was strangely fascinated.

9. msmir

msmir New Member

Hollis, I am the same way. I am terrified of others vomiting too. Even with myself being ill I am bad but I deal with it if it happens somehow.. which thankfully is a rare occurrence but when it comes to others being sick, I flee from someone even if he or she so much talks about feeling or being sick. I have kids who thankfully rarely vomit... and if they do I am thankful my husband is the one to take care of it 100%. The other day my dog was sick and I just without looking put a towel over it and hoping I covered it.. and when my husband got home he took care of it. So I understand how it is having this phobia.

10. Hollis

Hollis New Member

Glad to hear of someone else with this phobia, msmir. It's strange as it's the only bodily substance that really bothers me. Part of my job right now is working with blood and gathering blood from people and it doesn't bother me, really.

It's definitely easier when you're sick yourself, except I try as hard as I can NOT to vomit and I've gotten so good at it it's almost a skill. Before it happens I go into panic mode though.

It's a relief to hear your husband will take care of it. I've always been worried that when I have children it'll be a huge problem for me. Hopefully it'll work out as yours has!

11. msmir

msmir New Member

Hollis, emetophobia is something like the 5th or 7th most common phobia. It is in the top 10. And yeah I know, I have a totally neutral reaction towards other bodily substances, including the runs (sorry gross I know).. if my kids have bloody noses or the runs I deal with it just fine. Just puke I cannot be around. And I do my best to never do it but if it must happen which again thankfully is rare.. somehow I handle it... still shaken up.. but when it comes to others being sick, I simply cannot do it. Weird thing is my kids were once babies that spat up and I handled it not great but ok considering.. but if I am around a baby now, I don't want to be around it after it eats... makes sense huh? :confused:

12. Hollis

Hollis New Member

I knew it was pretty common, though I didn't know it was in the top 10. I rarely meet others with this issue and usually people think I'm insane for it. I wonder what causes this and if they all have a past life issue that contributes to it? Hmm..

13. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Say hi to another emetophobic! ;) Although I'm not nearly as bad as I used to be. Like you and msmir, I will run a mile if anybody around me happens to mention coming down with a stomach bug .... and I can't even be within hearing distance of other people who are sick.

I know that nobody likes throwing up, but when I was little, it used to terrify me beyond 'normality', and even today, when I feel nauseous which, thankfully, isn't very often, the thought of the 'inevitable' is enough to send me into a panic. Interesting that the actual throwing up part doesn't really bother me, it's the moments leading up to it that trigger the panic. (I'm sorry for the gross nature of this post by the way)

Up until I met msmir, I thought I was the only person with this strange fear, so it's interesting to know that it is in the top 10 phobias. I wonder how it could possibly be past life related though? I can't really associate any kind of traumatic event (enough to leave an imprint on the soul) with vomiting, apart from disease .... and disease is a natural part of life, so I'm a bit reluctant to believe it has anything to do with past lives to be honest.

14. Shiftkitty

Shiftkitty Registered User

My sister-in-law had a panic-inducing fear of two things; arachnids and small, enclosed spaces.

The arachnid thing was due to her childhood in Arizona. Their house was falling apart and was crawling with spiders. This wouldn;t have been so bad except that one autumn she went to go to bed and when she pulled back her blankets, her bed was loaded with scorpions looking for warmth. It kinda left a scar on her psyche!

The other one, however, she had no clue where it came from. We got to talking about it one day and I showed her a series of pictures of things like phone booths, elevators, and a hand sticking up from the sand. She said that the small room-type pictures made her uneasy, but the hand made her heart leap into her throat. I asked her to go with that thought, just say what was on her mind.

She described a place so enclosed she could barely move. She was wrapped up in something and had to rip her way out, which wasn't easy with no room to move. When she did, she was someplace dark and the air was running out. She wanted to scream. She wanted someone to hear her.

What do you remember? I asked her.

She said she had been very sick with fever, boils, and other signs of wasting. She had fallen asleep and couldn't wake up. She could hear people crying. She feared for her children. What would become of them? She tried to wake up, but only fell deeper into her sleep. She woke up in the small place.

That was when she snapped her eyes open and was inside my kitchen. She didn't realize she had just regressed! Our conclusion was that she was possibly a plague victim, or even of some not-so-infamous disease, and was buried prematurely. I'd say that's a pretty traumatic way to go!

In this life, she if ferociously dedicated to her children. She is not a fighter by a long shot and often tells me that she wishes she had my nerve in facing people down. I told her not to discount herself until she had to fight for her kids. When she did, she was like hell unleashed! (School bully related issues compounded by the bully's mom being a personal friend of the principal. Yeah, my humble sister-in-law went nuclear!)

She still fears enclosed spaces and avoids them when she can, but knowing where that fear came from has made it easier to accept. She calms herself by making note of how she plans to get out of that space should the need arise to do so quickly.

She's not entirely sure about reincarnation as it doesn't mesh with her faith, but she stays open about it, knowing that what they hear at church is an official interpretation of the bible made by mortal men, and we all know how flawed we mortals can be!

15. msmir

msmir New Member

Chris and Hollis, the phobia like any other phobias may or may not have stemmed from past lives. It could have been something that happened in this life when you were too young to remember. But I know in my case it was past life related. I am sorry this is going to have some graphic detail but...

When I was in the experimental labs in Auschwitz I witnessed other kids vomiting and that I am sure is what started. And I had a traumatic incident when I was 4 that involved vomiting in this life that must have triggered those past life reactions to it and since then I have been very emetophobic. Personally if it was not for that incident, the phobia still would have come out due to other triggers. I know we must heal from past life trauma but definitely one thing at a time and this is something I know there is no rush for.

16. Hollis

Hollis New Member

Thank you for sharing that, msmir. I can see where that phobia would come from for you and I hope you heal in your own time.

Due to the fact that this phobia was something that appeared before I could even walk or talk and is paired with childhood hypochondria and abnormal interest/fear of plagues and the like, I would find it very hard to believe it's not somehow related to a past life.

17. Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike Active Member

I have two irrational phobias. First, I can't stand anything tight around my neck. I even stopped wearing a neck protector in hockey because I simply could not stand it anymore. Our choir uniforms back in elementary school had a turtleneck and I must have had mine rolled down and tugged as low as it would go. I also have an extreme distrust and dislike of authority of any kind. Of course this isn't that unusual but I am not exactly an outlaw. In fact, I'm probably the most upstanding person you would ever meet and I've never even gotten as much as a parking ticket. I also had a terrible fear of being arrested or confined despite the fact that I would be the last person on Earth the police would ever be looking for. On a related note, I HATED school with a passion in spite of the fact that I was on the honour roll and a model student. Granted, being bullied almost to the point of suicide doesn't help but I hated school ever since when I was 5-6 years old and well liked by both teachers and classmates.

18. Jody

Jody Senior Registered

@ Mr. Mike and Dr. What:

Sounds like death from hanging! Dr. What talking about not wearing long sleeves and bracelets reminded me of when I was little -- I refused to wear long sleeves, and still dislike watches and bracelets. I'm not afraid of them, but I do find them irritating. I've never been big on authority, either. I don't "remember" any past life being hung on a gallows but the sight of them does make me nervous. My past lives seem to have always had that possibility looming over them as a constant threat. If I'm right about some of my past life remembrances, I've been locked up more than once (not including this life where I've been locked up for war protesting!)

19. rjmarzano

rjmarzano rjmarzano

Irrational phobias

What else do you remember about Aushwitz ?

Have you documented your experiences somewhere ?

20. rjmarzano

rjmarzano rjmarzano

Irrational phobias

There's a TV show on the Animal Planet station called Infested about cases like this.

This family moved into a house in the middle of the woods in Oregon that was invested with spiders.

They set off a bug bomb that killed most of the spiders but somehow the Hobo spider was immune to it and this species exploded inside the house.

The lady finally got stung on the stomach and it created a massive infection.

There was a gigantic Hobo spider colony under their deck.

They ended up moving out of the house. They couldn't take it any more.

There's been episodes about scorpions, rats, mice, cockroaches, bed bugs, snakes, racoons, etc..

There was a guy living in this apartment building who's religion prevented him from killing anything. They could see the giant cockroaches coming out of the bottom of his door. So no matter what anyone else did they would never get rid of them.

Bed bugs have become an epidemic in some places.