Is consciousness produced by the brain?

Discussion in 'SCIENTIFIC and ANECDOTAL research' started by Nightrain, Dec 19, 2011.

1. KenJ

KenJ Assistant Archivist and Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

I love to tell a story about Milton Erickson. He once attended a hypnotic stage-show where the hypnotist was abusive to the subject, she refused to come out of her trance, to defy his instruction. Milton was asked to intervein. He went on-stage and whispered in her ear, turned away and returned to his seat and sat down.

After another few minutes, she miraculsly got up and walked off the stage, ignoring the hypnotist near her on-stage. Milton was later asked what he whispered in her ear. He simply asked her "when did you last use the toilet?"

How powerful is the simple offer of a suggestion?

Speedwell and tanker like this.
  2. 4d4m

4d4m Member

It is powerful, particularly when in a different state of consciousness. I like that you use dowsing, I have also done it and do not believe it to be the use of power. Someday, and possibly soon, quantum physics will be able to explain why it works. The use of certain types of wood sticks is prescribed however I was shown how with straightened coat hangers. For practice I was able to find a buried water line and compare my results to a blue print drawing of the house and property. I was right on the money. Of course there's some sort of energy flow associated with the water that moves the rods to align themselves with it. It's simply science we haven't defined yet. I believe the same is true of hypnosis.
    The act of putting someone in a different state of awareness is not accomplished by pulling on their arm or swinging a pendulum before their eyes. This is the "magic" part. The slight of hand bit to give the observer something to focus on and question. The way it's done is through the exertion of power. By the correct manipulation of the subjects chi. This probably isn't being done by the man on the stage doing the exhibition.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  3. KenJ

Absolutely, IMHO, as I did as you described with coat-hanger wire as you did. My sister's first husband showed me how to do it when I was about twelve years old. I showed my daughters how to do it and some friends. I'm not understanding your statement about it not being the man on the stage.

I read last week, that a company was moving to my "home" town that builds/sells equipment that detects pipes, wires, and voids under-ground. So, I see that the process is being both understood and manufactured.

4. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

The person who introduced me to dowsing (at a time I didn't believe in it, till I tried it) works for industry, dowsing on maps for sources of oil. So it seems to be taken seriously enough.

5. KenJ

That is where it turns paranormal in my opinion. Edgar Cayce did that and I have read of others. Cayce went bankrupt if I recall correctly - or did I read about it, or was it simply a memory from another time?

6. 4d4m

4d4m Member

The guy on the stage is putting on the show. To put the people in a hypnotic state requires the manipulation of their energy which requires focus. Someone else in the room is doing that part, either a plant ( someone in the audience ) or this guy's guide.

7. KenJ

Woah there 4d, I think that you are carrying that too far back. Anyone can hypnotize anyone, even animals, spiders, and snakes like cobra's use hypnosis.

Simply SOMETHING'S INTENTION OF FOCUSING ATTENTION, nothing beyond that. You can do it to yourself, so it is a matter of consciousness.

tanker likes this.
  8. 4d4m

4d4m Member

Yeah that's true. But to hypnotize yourself you alter your own state of conscious through meditation. Now imagine putting someone else's mind in that state. That's not an easy thing. If you gain their cooperation somehow, say with the swinging watch, they sort of meditate themselves into that state you simply help. But what about someone who doesn't expect it or doesn't want it?

9. KenJ

I was thinking more about trees. And ocean waves that lead to relaxation and deeper thoughts, or the driving example that I started with

Milton Erickson often hypnotized people by just shaking their hand, you can do it yourself. The next time you shake someone's hand, hold it for an extra few seconds afterward and observe.

10. 4d4m

4d4m Member

lol, you know what? I might just do that.