• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Is it wrong to remember?

fiziwig

moderator emeritus
If most accounts of the between-life state can be trusted, it seems like we go to a lot of trouble to deliberately forget our past lives as we incarnate into a new life. There must be some pretty good reasons why we are not supposed to remember them while we're here.

By trying to remember our past lives are we actually screwing up our plan for this life? Just a thought.

Hmmm, I have heard that the forgetting is due to the dense nature of this plane. Perhaps it is just something we deal with because it is hard to recall our multi-dimensional existance while in this dense place. Anyone else have thoughts?

I suspect this will be a very interesting topic to keep reading!

Marg

I certainly agree, this topic IS likely to get a lot of activity, or at least activity of a high quality.

It would seem to me that the answer (speculative, naturally) to the question will depend on the answerers thoughts on the subject in general.

Thoughts on reincarnation seem to fall into two basic categories;

{A} Theologic/Philosophical
or
{B} Scientific/Technical

I would call option A "Causal", or "Other Driven". People of this inclination would probably indicate that they believe we are directed not to remember our previous lives for a reason. Forced to drink from the cup of forgetfulness as the Buddhists would suggest. The reason for this would of course be so that we might start this life unencumbered?, or perhaps it is required for our learning process? Whatever that reason might be, it would be part of the "rules" so to speak.

Option "B", however, would look for a biological/scientific reason. For example I have read that the trauma of the birth process may cause our somewhat fragile new brain to "forget". Or perhaps we simply forget, for much the same reasons few of us remember many details from our own infancy, at least conciously. Perhaps the brain truly IS the proverbial "tabula rasa", or clean slate, and that our memories of prior lives are wired differently.

Certainly all of this is wildly speculative. There are indicators of evidence in both camps. I for one feel that the most likely answer lies somewhere in between, as the answers to most complex questions. The experiences of Dr, Brian Weiss certainly point to option A, with his "masters", but even so, that would not preclude a biological factor in the equation. We certainly ARE more complex than we have ever imagined.

I look forward to hearing others views oin this subject, Aga

------------------
"Do, or Do Not, there is no Try"

To forget is easy, we DO NOT make much trouble about that!

We don't have same brains we had in the last incarnation. So it's awfully hard to a person to remember the past, because he is full of his present EGO.

Is it wrong... Oh my. Is it wrong to breath??? One has to woken up someday!

"Is it wrong to remember?"

Clearly, no. Simply because we don't control our memory as much as we like to think we do. Some remember past lives; others, like me, don't. It's not my fault that I don't remember. And it isn't yours if you do.

But is it wrong or harmful to know? My answer is again 'no'. No knowledge is bad. But there are some problems with this particular knowledge.

First of all, is it really knowledge? What if what we think we know as our past life really isn't? That could create problems if it influences our decision making.

Also, even if we really know our past lives, can we really make good use of it. I am afraid, not always. I think we are reborn so many times because we fail to learn all the lessons that lives are meant to teach. We are good at infering wrong lessons from our experiences in one life and we most likely do it as we cross different lives. So knowing isn't enough.

While I don't have wake time memory of my past lives, I have surmised one of my past lives with my father (in this and that life) from a recurring dream. As Sandra(speruoc) reminds us in many of her posts, recurring dreams stop once we get the point. This happened with this dream.

In any case, this dream places us both in England during the early age of trains. I was a boy of about ten. I was traveling with my father by train. We get off a train at a junction to take another train. My father walks away for something and we end up separated. Dream ends here.

If this really happened, it must have been a very traumatic experience for my father. I tend to think so because it helps me understand how he treated me this time around. He was overprotective to the point of suffocation. I think that a wrong lesson was learnt from a past life experience in this case!

What good is knowledge if it doesn't impart wisdom?

Kris

I can recall about 3 or 4 of my pastlives without hypnotic regression, which obviously suggests more lifetimes I'm not aware of. But with me, it's not a question whether if it's wrong to remember...but whether I care enough to remember. Alot of people who haven't experienced past lifetimes might assume these memories are some great 'influence or gift', but they aren't of any significance in my present lifetime (conscious significance anyways) Although most of what I remember are traumatic or sad scenes/memories, that's all they are really, just memories from a longtime ago. For me personally, the best comparison is like any ordinary memory from your own lifetime...it's just not something you constantly dwell on.

Titus,
A very interesting and well written article about the exact concept I am wondering about. Why do some people remember past lives, while others do not? What is the benefit of remembering other lives? I remember nothing about previous lives (if there are any!), I just have specific interests in certain times and cultures which has me wondering if I had previous lives...and if I were regressed and did eventually have some memories...what would be the usefulness to me now?

OK, I am way out in the fifth dimension to the left of the center dimension! HaHa!

I tend to the views of Neale Walshe, although I had them 30 years before his first book showed up.

We are here to remember. We already know all we would ever need to know. Our sprit mind from a different dimension of the universe is evolving a vehicle where we may exist on a different physical dimension with full ability to interact in both ,or all, at the same time.

How does an energetic packet of mind move into a dimension it cannot exist in directly? An analogy. How does a photon organize itself and other photons into vast groupings of particles, just to create the possibility of participating in the life of an elderly Basset Hound named Buster?

That lonely little photon had it's work cut out for it's organizing abilities to enable the participating particles to organize into elements, organic compounds and after billions of years to be a part of it's great dream of being part of Buster Basset Hound for a few years.

Oi gevalalt, what to do after Buster Basset Hound's departure. Repeat the experience of being different, of having changed.

That is all we are doing. A long term project of evolving a mind/ body structure that allows most ot our essence direct ability to remember across dimensions.

Accordingly, there is no good or evil. There is only "What works." and "What does not work." to use Walshes terminology.

The more we remember past lives on Earth, the faster we remember existences in other dimensions. Till finally, we remember across dimensions nearly simaltaneously.

Hi Titus (et al):

I read the article with great interest, and am passing on the URL to friends with similar questions.

What affected me most was in the section on functional amnesia, when you talked about parents discouraging past life remembering. Not only did that happen to me, but it had a huge effect on my life. As soon as I was capable of drawing (age 2 or 3) I began drawing very prolifically, mostly scenes of battle and violence in a pre-firearms era. My mother (an atheist and a skeptic) did everything she could do to discourage me, including burn all but a handful of my drawings, spank me, shame me, and label me as the family mental case. I grew up believing that I was at some level deeply disturbed, though I was a straight-A student with no behavioral problems. I suffered from low self-esteem, depression, social withdrawal, relationship problems, etc. (though to be fair you also have to factor long-term sexual abuse by my father into all this).

The good news is that due to deep healing work in the past few years, I remembered past lives, came to understand the real reasons for my drawing, and thus have finally learned, at a deep level, that there is nothing wrong with me after all. I can't say how positively that has affected my life. Basically, I am no longer constantly ashamed of myself.

I agree with you 100% that between-life amnesia is a bad thing, and for many of the same reasons as you give. I think that in the West in particular, between-life amnesia is having pervasive disastrous consequences, possibly life-threatening for the entire species. Individually we need to remember who we are, and as a species building more and more powerful technology, it is crucial that we remember who we are.

Anyway, thank you for the article. It was an excellent read! Thanks also to Rastislav for his own metaphorical explanation of functional amnesia.

Love & peace,
Karen

Rastislav,

You wrote:
fiziwig, I usually agree with what you write, but I definitely disagree that "we go to a lot of trouble to deliberately forget our past lives as we incarnate into a new life," let alone that "we are not supposed to remember."

Maybe what's really happening is that at a soul level we don't want to remember, because remembering might spoil the game. I'm sure when you are deeply enjoying a good movie you don't want someone poking you and interputing the movie to remind you it's just a movie.

The simplest explanation for the problem with PLR (past life recall) is that the brain gets into the way. As anyone who has had a NDE (myself included) can tell, our mind functions on a much higher level when it is free of the brain. Now as to why, that is not so simple.

Or maybe it is like the way we tend to forget dreams after we wake up. It might be that soul memory and biological memory are not the same thing and biological memory doesn't always have access to soul memory.

But it is absolutely positively not wrong for us to do it. The truth is never wrong!

Perhaps wrong is the wrong word to use. We might prefer not to remember, or in some cases it might be more to our advantage to forget. In any case I'm quite sure that if there is something our higher soul self does not want our human brain to remember it won't be remembered no matter what we try.

I'll take a stab at it Ailish, just don't laugh too much lol.....

"Is it wrong to remember?"

Good question Fiziwig. My simple short answer would be this: That is up to the individual person to determine in there current life........

For me however I see it like this. It is not wrong for me to remember my past lives, but it might not be necessary either. Take my signature for example: LEARN from the past; LIVE in the present; PLAN for the future. Many people who delve into the past (past lives or not) sometimes become obsessed with discovering all they can about it but at the expense of the present or the "now" so to speak.......

I tend to try and act in a balance way in my life and this includes finding about my past lives. I use it as a learning experience for wisdom but I never obsess about it as I don't want to screw up my "now". Things will come to me when I am ready to assimilate them properly, not before, and I certainly don't feel a rush to find about them or else......

All things come to those that wait after all......

There is also another reason I don't rush and try and find out as much about my past lives asap, and that is because of the so called "end times". This is a bit hard to write about as I tend to keep this close to the vest so please forgive if this don't make much sense.......

In my views, we are nearing the "end times" which have been spoken about in many cultures and beliefs (the bible, certain Indian cultures, ect). During the "end times" (boy do I hate that term; as if there was a end to things which there is not; just a change is all) many charlatans and scam artist with come out of the woodwork and try and deter many "from the path" for lack of a better term......

In my view, one must be very careful not to loose one's way as it is easy to do during these days. It is better (in my mind at least) to while still striving for wisdom, one must be grounded in the here and now more than ever and be wary of many distractions. So many years ago, I decided to tone down my own personal journey into metaphysics and reincarnation (including some of my own personal talents) and instead strive to focus on the "now" more, help people when I can, lead by a good example, and not to obsess as much......

Could I remember more about my past lives than I do? Yes. Could I have developed my talents and abilities more than I have (and some think I should by the way)? Absolutely. Why? Because simply put, YOU are more important right now than the ME which is my life and journey. After all, helping others is far more important than helping just one's self. In the process I don't stray from the path which is my life.......

In other words, I strive to walk the path, not strive to see the path or gain as much info from it as I can. I would rather be part of the light than try and find as much about the light as possible. I will remember when it is time, not before, and if I don't? Well that's ok too because in the end, all is eternal in the light and love which is all, and in the end, I have all the time in the world because time is a concept which I am not chained to.........

I hope this makes sense folks. It is extremely hard for me to put these views and feelings into words. I see and feel the ripples of existence so clearly and am content for now to know that I am part of it is all and how I may help others do the same if they wish. Great post again Fiziwig, thanks for posting it :D .............

Peace............

Hi Fiziwig,

In my own personal case, yes, it did interfere, and very negatively... It is difficult enough to deal with our present lives' pains and frustrations without having to bring into it what should really be left behind...

All the best,

Charles

Lemurian said:
I'll take a stab at it Ailish, just don't laugh too much lol.....

I'd *never* laugh at you, Lemurian :D I enjoy your posts, too much. I might just giggle a bit :laugh: :laugh:

LEARN from the past; LIVE in the present; PLAN for the future

That's perfect, IMO! Your post is wonderful, Lemurian, as always. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! :thumbsup:

Ailish :)

LOL

Giggling is good hun :D . A giggle a day keeps the shrinks away after all... or is that it draws there attention?!? :D One never knows hehehe.....

Seriously though, thank you for the complements hun. Makes my heart all warm an fuzzy, or is that a heart attack coming? Muhahaha......

I have always felt that my signature quote, which I created many years ago, was absolutely perfect in balancing one's life. After all, I have discovered when one confuses this simple concept about the past, present, and the future, that's when things can go wrong in your life.......

Live in the past? Nope not gonna work. Plan for the present? That too has many potholes you can fall in. LEARN from the past; LIVE in the present; PLAN for the future is truly the only way to go (In my life anyways lol)....

Thanks again hun. You certainly know how to make me blush :D .......

Peace..........

There's nothing wrong about remembering a past life. In fact, trying to force yourself not to remember can lead to problems.

Getting obsessed with memories to the extent that they keep you from living this life, or making excessive comparisons between one life and another, however, will land you in trouble.

Is it wrong to remember?

For me , It is impossible to remember!

I suppose that majority people can't remember any things. I come here hope to find some truth. I have recurring dreams as if waiting for boats near the sea, and I supposed I might related to a person in past. So I search for a while, Only got a little bit information and that life seems to be strange to me. So I got conclusion that might be fantasy, our brain have strong ability to link similar things...maybe I just be too analytic...I think we need evidence to link the past to the present

look forward to hear your opinion and please show me your way to remember.

Yes. we are suppose to forget. when the past become past, we can live fully the present. If I could find more clue, that will be great. If not, that doesn't matter. As long as I enjoy to be me NOW.
That's just my opinion.

Wonderful post, Lemurian ! I really like your ideas !

Eevee

Hi Lemurian,

Was just thinking about you. Was reading something I received by email concerning the fact that yesterday (11:11) at 11:11 at night there was a conjunction of the sun and planets forming a "cross in the sky". A predicted omen of our ending of a 12.000 year cycle and our entrance into a new phase, including our entrance into a "Circle of Photons" pertaining to the Pleiades, a re-entrance into a period of Light, with all the events that have been predicted to come with this.

Hmmm....

Very good question Fiziwig!! I've also wondered that myself... I have heard of many people who have been "cured" of certain phobias & etc. by delving into a past life, for instance, a person afraid of water who regresses to a past life where they drowned,and the phobia thus disappears,and the like. However, I'm somewhat afraid to try regression, what if I remember something better left Forgotten?? In my case, my strongest memories are of a life where I lost the one I love tragically... I have had trouble loving & commiting in relationships, as I have had these memories all my (this ) life,missing this person horribly. Would remembering more of that painful life help me, or would it only serve to cause more pain? :confused:

I've wondered if it's wrong to remember. Especially the pre-life memories. Now, later in life, I feel I've had the advantage over my family members. A certain distance from our problems and issues and a life-long strong belief that we must learn and grow from our life lessons. It's like I've cheated.

However, I tend to side with those who say that we forget because of a natural process rather than intentionally. We spend at least three years unable to talk about or discuss our memories, we're struggling to overcome the debilitations of infancy (don't laugh! that's exactly how I felt about having to learn how to walk and talk!), and by the time we've got a handle on things, it's mostly gone. However, as a child, my pre-life and past-life memory was so strong that I asked other children about theirs. You'd be surprised how many children remember their pre-life memories. Then why do they forget as adults? Start asking random adults about their childhoods. You'd be surprised how many don't remember anything before the age of 7.

ValerieJ said:
Then why do they forget as adults? Start asking random adults about their childhoods. You'd be surprised how many don't remember anything before the age of 7.

Exactly! :thumbsup: How many can reember thier first grade teacher's name or their first grade classmates? How many can remeber their daily routine when they were 14yrs old? Can you remeber your first job? :) We normally forget things as years go by even in our present life, so it's easy to see how people can forget their previous lives. Plus I think forgetting helps us to connect and bond fully with the present life and loved ones without missing and mourning previous life loved ones and maybe seeking them out if they are still alive. :) Plus it would be hard to be kid if we could remember how it was as an adult.
It would be hard to be told when to go to bed and when to get up what to wear etc. Plus, I think it's better to start over fresh and not carry excess baggage especially for those who had hard lives.

Is it wrong to remember?

:thumbsup: This is a great thread, IMO!
I would love to hear from our new members...

BTW, i loved your post Lemurian!
In other words, I strive to walk the path, not strive to see the path or gain as much info from it as I can. I would rather be part of the light than try and find as much about the light as possible. I will remember when it is time, not before, and if I don't? Well that's ok too because in the end, all is eternal in the light and love which is all, and in the end, I have all the time in the world because time is a concept which I am not chained to......

I don't think that I could have said it any better than Lemurian. :thumbsup: I am definitely of the same opinion. ;)

I also wanted to acknowledge Valerie's and Poetic Justice's comments. I think they make good points. ;)

Fiziwig poses an interesting question.......

By trying to remember our past lives are we actually screwing up our plan for this life?

What are your thoughts?

Ailish

Ailish said:
Fiziwig poses an interesting question.......

What are your thoughts?

Ailish

It is a good question. I think though that whether trying to remember past lives might screw up plans for our current one is down to the individual.
I also believe that we only recall when we are ready to recall, so, in a way, we have already made a choice, subconciously, maybe, to look at a life or lives that have gone before. Therefore "Screwing up" is a moot point if my belief is correct, because "Trying to remember" is something we have already accepted within ourselves was necessary and so is the outcome.

I don't think that it is wrong to remember pastlives. From my point of view. There are too many reports from people that have been helped overcome problems and fears in their lives through regression and going back to the origions of the problem and healing it. To do this they would need to remember where it started and often this is in a pastlife.
I think that our mind does have some sort of protection mechanism and will put up a block to prevent us from remembering some things before we were ready or that could be harmful to remember. I wonder if this could be one reason why people do get blocks come up sometimes when trying to explore pastlifes.

Kind Regards
Kay

What one remembers may be relevant (if it parallels with one's current life or provides a chance for healing or learning). What is not attainable may be "irrelevant" and it may possibly conflict with one's current life plan.

Back