Is it wrong to remember?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by fiziwig, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Charles Stuart

Charles Stuart Probationary

Hi Lemurian,

Was just thinking about you. Was reading something I received by email concerning the fact that yesterday (11:11) at 11:11 at night there was a conjunction of the sun and planets forming a "cross in the sky". A predicted omen of our ending of a 12.000 year cycle and our entrance into a new phase, including our entrance into a "Circle of Photons" pertaining to the Pleiades, a re-entrance into a period of Light, with all the events that have been predicted to come with this.

2. kstornado11

kstornado11 Senior Registered

Hmmm....

Very good question Fiziwig!! I've also wondered that myself... I have heard of many people who have been "cured" of certain phobias & etc. by delving into a past life, for instance, a person afraid of water who regresses to a past life where they drowned,and the phobia thus disappears,and the like. However, I'm somewhat afraid to try regression, what if I remember something better left Forgotten?? In my case, my strongest memories are of a life where I lost the one I love tragically... I have had trouble loving & commiting in relationships, as I have had these memories all my (this ) life,missing this person horribly. Would remembering more of that painful life help me, or would it only serve to cause more pain? :confused:

3. ValerieJ

ValerieJ New Member

I've wondered if it's wrong to remember. Especially the pre-life memories. Now, later in life, I feel I've had the advantage over my family members. A certain distance from our problems and issues and a life-long strong belief that we must learn and grow from our life lessons. It's like I've cheated.

However, I tend to side with those who say that we forget because of a natural process rather than intentionally. We spend at least three years unable to talk about or discuss our memories, we're struggling to overcome the debilitations of infancy (don't laugh! that's exactly how I felt about having to learn how to walk and talk!), and by the time we've got a handle on things, it's mostly gone. However, as a child, my pre-life and past-life memory was so strong that I asked other children about theirs. You'd be surprised how many children remember their pre-life memories. Then why do they forget as adults? Start asking random adults about their childhoods. You'd be surprised how many don't remember anything before the age of 7.

4. Poetic Justice

Poetic Justice Probationary

Exactly! :thumbsup: How many can reember thier first grade teacher's name or their first grade classmates? How many can remeber their daily routine when they were 14yrs old? Can you remeber your first job? :) We normally forget things as years go by even in our present life, so it's easy to see how people can forget their previous lives. Plus I think forgetting helps us to connect and bond fully with the present life and loved ones without missing and mourning previous life loved ones and maybe seeking them out if they are still alive. :) Plus it would be hard to be kid if we could remember how it was as an adult.
    It would be hard to be told when to go to bed and when to get up what to wear etc. Plus, I think it's better to start over fresh and not carry excess baggage especially for those who had hard lives.

5. Fab

Fab Senior Registered

Is it wrong to remember?

:thumbsup: This is a great thread, IMO!
    I would love to hear from our new members...

BTW, i loved your post Lemurian!

6. Amy

Amy Senior Registered

I don't think that I could have said it any better than Lemurian. :thumbsup: I am definitely of the same opinion. ;)

I also wanted to acknowledge Valerie's and Poetic Justice's comments. I think they make good points. ;)

7. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Fiziwig poses an interesting question.......

What are your thoughts?

Ailish

8. Hammy

Hammy Senior Registered

It is a good question. I think though that whether trying to remember past lives might screw up plans for our current one is down to the individual.
    I also believe that we only recall when we are ready to recall, so, in a way, we have already made a choice, subconciously, maybe, to look at a life or lives that have gone before. Therefore "Screwing up" is a moot point if my belief is correct, because "Trying to remember" is something we have already accepted within ourselves was necessary and so is the outcome.

9. Kay

Kay Senior Registered

I don't think that it is wrong to remember pastlives. From my point of view. There are too many reports from people that have been helped overcome problems and fears in their lives through regression and going back to the origions of the problem and healing it. To do this they would need to remember where it started and often this is in a pastlife.
    I think that our mind does have some sort of protection mechanism and will put up a block to prevent us from remembering some things before we were ready or that could be harmful to remember. I wonder if this could be one reason why people do get blocks come up sometimes when trying to explore pastlifes.

Kind Regards
    Kay

10. Quintessence

Quintessence No One

What one remembers may be relevant (if it parallels with one's current life or provides a chance for healing or learning). What is not attainable may be "irrelevant" and it may possibly conflict with one's current life plan.

11. galactonerd

galactonerd Senior Registered

I agree with Hammy. I have some memories (they're too personal to tell here) that I've uncovered in the past few months that I would have been unable to handle if I'd uncovered them before. But because they came when they did, they were beneficial.

Sometimes the right thing at the wrong time is the wrong thing.

12. tanguerra

tanguerra Senior Registered

Yes, I don't think in this case (or in any other case when we are dealing with the vast complexities of the eternal soul) that there are, or need to be, hard and fast rules - let alone one rule that must be binding for everyone in every case. I think it is a bit more chaotic than that.

As Fizywig said above, at a soul level, we may make a decision to forget our eternal and immortal nature, so as not to spoil the 'movie'. Don't you hate it when someone tells you how something in a film is going to turn out? Or starts talking some trivia about Brad Pitt's real life exploits while you are trying to lose yourself in the story of his on-screen character?

But there are other times when it may be necessary to remember that this is all a game and not to take it too seriously. (Don't be too upset, it's only tomato sauce and really Brad is OK and will make another movie next year!)

I think as with all things restraint and common sense is called for. If someone is just remembering things with ease or with only minimal effort, I don't see a problem. If someone is trying 'too hard' with gritted teeth to find out 'everything' well, I suspect that might end in tears and is possibly a distraction from a present life issue they might be better served to spend all this energy on solving the 'old fashioned way' with patience and elbow grease.

13. Kristin

Kristin Beware of Italics

I've thought about this, too. I think learning about our PL's can be healing and help us understand ourselves more, but at the same time you have to be careful not to obsess over it so much that you don't evolve in this life. We are here to grow, and while I don't consciously remember the day I was born I imagine it wasn't pleasant. :butbut: (It certainly wasn't for my poor mother). Best not waste the trip. ;)

My own PL experiences I never looked for personally. At a time when I didn't believe in past lives, the 'memories' just came to me on their own. (And now I'm thinking through Patrick's help. I've had 2 people tell me that he wants me to remember him). Over the past year I have learned to pay attention to those tiny details though. The coincidences, the dreams, and the oh-so-popular "Oh, that must have been my imagination." :D

I would love to learn more about two particular past lives, so in the meantime I'll just keep an open mind about them while living this one.

Kristin

14. Amy

Amy Senior Registered

When you consider the healing aspects of remembering your PL's then I do not see where this could be wrong in any way. I also believe that we are not allowed to remember anything that we aren't supposed to but that a block will prevent it from happening.

Exactly!

15. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

An interesting question for new members - what are your thoughts on Fiziwig's question? Do you feel it's wrong to remember past lives? Do you feel it "messes up" who we are today? Or can you can you find a benefit to past life work and maintain a balance between the past and present?

Aili

16. -barry-

-barry- New Member

I really don't think "right" or "wrong" come into it. Our souls and spirit guides aren't worried that we might discover the hidden truth and then start screwing with the system. Our souls set up life in advance and if not knowing about past lives is not part of the plan then we, as human personalities, will simply not be attracted to such knowledge.

The question is, is it helpful? I think that for most incarnate people, most of the time, past lives are just a distraction. Each life us set up as a sort of stage performance in which we, as actors, need to be "in the moment". However, for a few people it is a good idea to let go of a past life that is still very "present" and causing emotional trouble, so identifying those past influences is helpful. James Leininger would be a good example here.

Also, I believe there comes a point in our evolvement through reincarnation at which the usual past life amnesia becomes less and less important. In other words, rather than starting each life with a blank slate, we can start to see the greater whole. It's OK to remember that it's just a game we're playing here. Younger souls do need to get stuck into the game and not be distracted by previous performances, but older souls can appreciate the bigger picture and reflect on their previous performances and how it all adds up.

Well, that's my take on it.

-barry-

17. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Former Moderator

That's a good take Barry. :thumbsup:

I don't think there is any "right" or "wrong" involved either. If we remember - there is a reason. If we don't remember - there is a reason. It is a case-by-case thing, imo. No two souls are alike. Perhaps we decide before what we will remember and what we won't.

Personally, I like knowing because it helps me to put things into perspective.

18. kemetic18

kemetic18 Senior Registered

I agree! I wanted to post something similar but just couldn't get the words right. :)

I have often felt, especially when around my peers, very old. I can remembering being very young (5, 6, or so) and being really annoyed by other kids and their silliness. I was definitely not born a clean slate!

Personally, I don't think remembering is a matter of "right" or "wrong". Just like many things in life, what's right for one person may not be for another.

I've thought that for some people its easier not to remember because 'ignorance is bliss' ("younger souls" maybe??). It may be easier to go through life unawares than realize we are the sum of many lifetimes. At least in my mind, remembering past lives requires awareness and strength. You need strength to look honestly at yourself and change what needs to be changed/improved so you can get it right. Plus it is a distraction from the here and now - some people might not be ready for that. Maybe next time around.

My two cents.

19. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

Like others, I don't believe in right and wrong here (either). For some it's very useful to remember, if there are issues that have followed one from past lives. For others it might not make a very big difference to remember or not. You can definitely live a good life without ever remembering consciously having lived before.

For some, me included, I think remembering and realising about past lives is one way to increase understanding and to learn about life, oneself and others. If one is interested in that kind of understanding, then it's definitely useful to remember one's own past lives, apart from just learning about reincarnation, as it makes things much more personal and easier to learn from.

Karoliina

20. Rainbowseahorse

Rainbowseahorse New Member

I agree with Karoliina:) ,

I have had hyperhidrosis[ excessive sweating] from childhood and not being a reason for it in this life, I discovered I was burnt in a few lives, I even had the same condition in a few life times that because of a disease or poison I was sweating a lot, so that has made me realize that I do not need to be sweating like that and I can come to peace and work on closing that chapter and am finding ways to help me get rid of it. And seems like now is the right time for me to understand all these and resolve my issue and not years ago.

I did a regression a few years ago and when the regressionist asked can my Spirit Guides tell me why I carry this baggage and how to get rid of it, I smiled because I heard them say, I will know about it when the time is right. And the same thing happened another time with another guided journey.

But for me just knowing that the root is in the past, and what caused it is enough, I don't need to find out dates and places and clothing and ... I just want the healing and learning and since I have started to heal I care less and less what those lives were,but if it will be useful for me maybe I would like to remember any skills that I had and use them now. I'm sure if it is for my best I will remember and if not I won't .

Also I have come to realize that if our soul needs to get rid of the baggages we have been carrying from another lifetimes, issues will come up over and over, until they are resolved in the right time.

In Carol's Children's past lives , we read how loud noises was bothering Chase, and that was a door to the light of his past life and making peace and understanding ; his eczema went away, so did his fear of loud noises and along came more healing and understanding.