Is it wrong to remember?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by fiziwig, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Forgot to play nice

The Dalai Lama remembers, so how could it be wrong to remember? His ability to return to his former life circumstances and pick up where he left off time and time again are evidence that reincarnation happens and that we indeed possess an immortal soul that clothes itself in mortal bodies to experience life in what we call reality.

Phoenix

2. Jody

Jody Senior Registered

I think it's kind of unfortunate that Western society has discouraged the belief in reincarnation for so long (it was actually prevalent among the Celts before the modified anti-Gnostic version of Christianity replaced it).

People who assume they only have one life to live, I would think, would tend to be more fearful, clannish, dogmatic, and materialistic than those that don't. I think the truth of reincarnation is one of our spiritual lessons that we have to find out for ourselves, just like any other spiritual truth ...

3. dking777

dking777 Senior Registered

I have been recalling many times in childhood when I spoke of my own memories of past lives. My Mom was my friendly adversary on this subject matter. She felt it was wrong to recall such details - if it was true. She didn't believe in it but I was constantly coming up with situations. (My martial arts instructor at the age of 13 swore to my family he was convinced that I was a Ninja warrior in a past life and some of the skills had carried over.)

Then - at the age of 15 - I had met another friend who not only had some past life memories of his own - he had sight of his next life. For that reason - he knew through a dream that he was going to leave the world at a young age. He was trying to prepare for his loss. I ran to my Mom and told her the news that God was going to be calling one of my young friends home sooner than others. (We guessed it that he would never get past being a teenager.)

My Mom was beside herself. We had the biggest passionate argument of our history together. I wanted to get it out in the open. I didn't see what was wrong with looking back on you past lifes to get a course setting for this life. She had a 31 year old point of view and I had a 15 year old point of view. I told her we needed to put our points on the table and look at them together so we could come to terms and respect one anothers point of view instead of trying to tear each other down. My friend was about to die and I wanted help in how to deal with the pain that was coming my way.

My Grandparents had told me at the start of puberty to find a prayer partner. This friend was my prayer partner and our relationship touched on the love of God. My Mom knew that we stated prayers together and got 'secret' knowledge from God.

My Mom's point of view was a scripture. When as a child you do as a child. When you become an adult - you put away childish things. She felt all people had visions of past lives in childhood but those 'visions' evaporated when a person became an adult. She felt the majority of adults didn't have access to such visions for a reason. She felt it was taboo because of the sacred nature. She told me that when the revelations come directly from God (as my partner and I felt) then we didn't have to deal with doubt. But when I gave my Mom or another adult the knowledge - it was coming from another human being - and not to be taken seriously. She stated that if God came to her in a dream - then she could take it seriously.

She felt that if adults took 'childhood visions' seriously - it would give them an 'unhealthy desire' to explore fantasies rather than the truth from God.

I respected her point of view and we came to terms. I never again spoke about reincarnation or my own past life memories. I only spoke to like minded individuals. When I turned 18 and became an adult - I to put my visions behind me and focused on adult themes through my life.

I recently started recalling my own personal experiences with the theme on many levels. I did put it aside throuhg most of my adult life. I recent recalled my conversation with my Mom and I feel she was right.

Sometimes it is wrong to try and force recall on oneself - if it is done without the aid and guide of spirit for the sake of God's truth.

On the other hand - if it does come back in a natural progress (through spirit) I feel it is right for that individual. Even then, it goes back to what my Mom said many years ago. If we share our memories with others - it is going to be hard for them to take the 'tale' or 'story' seriously because of the 'divine' and 'sacred' nature associated with the theme.

Now that I have reached a mature age in my own personal life - I struggle with the concept of right and wrong each time a new memory associated with reincarnation comes back to the surface.

I feel there is a right time and a wrong time to deal with the theme in our lives.

I am still working on how to tell the difference between the two.

Sincerely,

DK

4. nica

nica Senior Registered

I think that some of us before entering the present life have decided to remember for a reason. Some others have decided not to remember for some other reasons. And some have decided to remember trough regressions. I came back with memories because I had a task and needed to fulfil that task.

Since childhood, I had memories of being a pagan priestess. Why did I have that memory? The priestess, was a hypnotherapist and helped common folks remembering past lifetimes. I did that for spiritual reasons.

Once, Brian Weiss recalled a memory of him being a priest in a previous life and regressing people to past lifetimes. He was declared a heretic and tortured. He is here again doing the same thing. In the book he said that the masters told him that even though he tried to do pl regressions in past lifetimes this present life is the right time to do so. I feel the same way.

It was not possible before this life to do so and I came back here life after life without memories. But I was born in what we call modern times and this is the right time for me to learn to be a hypnotherapist again and help people again. This time hopefully I will not end up in trouble. I think that there was no point in remembering my past lifetimes for example in 1800. Now is the right time for me.

What would happen if every human on this planet had the possibility to remember? Wouldn’t the planet be a better place?

All the great masters remember so remembering is right.

My sister for example has no pl memories but has decided to visit my hypnotherapist. She came in this life without memories but she came as my sister. Simple, she knew before entering this life that I would have helped her remembering and her memories now are healing her. I remember her as a priestess in a pl and I guess she too has a task similar to mine.

So if you don’t remember and are here in this forum, there is a reason. And I guess, a good one.

(BTW sorry about my broken English for this post and previous ones-I am Italian) :)

5. nica

nica Senior Registered

One more thing, before I was 2 years old, I could see other people (ghosts?). I learned then not to see them. Our eyes are trained to see only what we believe is real and I guess that so are our memories. :)

6. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I don't know if its wrong to remember but I wish I didn't remember. I get drunk every night just so that I can relax and sleep. I miss when I was just Jim even though I was ignorant back then.

SeekerOfKnowledge likes this.
  7. SeekerOfKnowledge

SeekerOfKnowledge Learner

Ignorance might be bliss for some, but when you already carry the baggage, how could it be wrong to remember? To learn, at least, where it comes from? I feel that I still do not remember enough. I do not wish to spend another 100 lives or so just so that I realize in 10000 years that I repeated something over and over again which could have been easily avoided. That I could have reduced suffering for myself and others a lot if only I had known... that's how I feel about it.

Jim78 likes this.
  8. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

That is a positive in remembering SeekerOfKnowledge no doubt. I just find my life very difficult now. Even a normal conversation leaves me unsettled. I wasn't like this before remembering reincarnation.

I guess it's hard to see the long term benefits to remembering when every day is a struggle.

Speedwell likes this.
  9. Speedwell

Speedwell Senior Member

For me, it was kind of in the other sequence. I went through the "every day is a struggle" part for a long time. Then I remembered. It came as a great sense of relief.

I suppose my take is that there isn't really any alternative. When matters are unresolved (particularly it seems following an untimely death), the remnants are there to be dealt with. In some ways it may not seem fair, since even the innocent may get caught up in these patterns. But it seems there is something about the physical environment. Problems which arose in a physical environment need to be healed in a physical environment. It would be good if these things could be dealt with in the 'between lives' stage, but perhaps there is insufficient traction there to complete the process quickly, maybe it could take (in our terms) millennia, though in that environment time doesn't have the same significance, since time itself is part of the material world.

I'm still pondering these things myself, anything I say may be just an idea I have today. Tomorrow I may have a different take on things.

SeekerOfKnowledge and Jim78 like this.
  10. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I had an untimely death in my last incarnation Speedwell. The very reason why I was killed is the same thing I struggle with today...my fighting nature.

Speedwell likes this.
  11. Speedwell

Speedwell Senior Member

Jim, I mentioned untimely death since it seems to play an important part in many childhood cases (such as those investigated by Stevenson / Tucker). In my case the recall wasn't significant until perhaps when I started school, and came in intermittent fragments over the years, but these were not recognised by myself for what they were until years later. My last life ended apparently of natural causes, but quite a few years earlier than one would expect in that era. I tend to think that that early death has played a significant role in my present recall.

Jim78 likes this.
  12. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Yeah Speedwell. My fighting nature played a significant role in both my past life death and my current recall. I don't know if an early death influenced that recall in my case though.

Speedwell likes this.
  13. There and back again

There and back again Senior Member

I got a little saying that is true for some people like myself that life is pain as it is always a struggle some way or another but take it one moment at a time one day at a time. Just don't loathe yourself into a depression as everyone has done things at one time or another in more ways than a blind man can shake a stick at it.

Jim78 and SeekerOfKnowledge like this.
  14. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

That is true There and back again but I have untreated chronic PTSD so I'm self medicating.

15. There and back again

What is your triggers when it comes to this? If you live in a city have you thought about moving to the country where there is less stress and less people around?

16. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

The worst trigger to a flashback came when I was sitting at a tram stop and a lady who looked just like my old love sat two feet from me. I relived my entire fight right there in front of her. She didn't looked scared ( I was flashing back to protecting my love ) but she did look like she couldn't look away from a car crash. I've many triggers. Even walking by a pub with a picture of my pl self can trigger me so I don't glance at that pub front anymore. I can't really go too much more into my triggers because I want my old love to remain anonymous.

The flashbacks come and go though. Its the intrusive thoughts, high alert feeling and irrational fears that really make it impossible for me to live my life.

I do live in a city There and back again and jumping at pidgeons and van doors slamming and such is very uncomfortable and very embarrassing. I love my city though. Sometimes it distracts me from my head. The countryside does help me reflect though.

17. SeekerOfKnowledge

SeekerOfKnowledge Learner

Even a thunderstorm or summer heat can work as a trigger, there is no way to completely avoid triggers.

18. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Yeah SeekerOfKnowledge. Last Halloween I sat in my home, got drunk and put on loud music to drown out the noise of the fireworks.

19. There and back again

Jim have you thought about moving to another town or city that you have no experience with? It is not about avoiding all but just making life a little easier and a little less stressful. Peace of mind is a priority as much as any to some people like myself.

20. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Moving still takes my head with me There and back again. The doctor says its incurable but that talk therapy helps in a small number of cases. Unfortunately I tried talk therapy. You know..."I'm feeling guilty about something I did ninety eight years ago." Cuckoo cuckoo. Thanks though.

Speedwell likes this.