• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

It's been a long time

Truthseeker

Former Moderator
Wow, it's hard to believe it's been 5 years since I last posted on this forum. Most of the people active here now probably don't know who I am. I was a moderator once upon a time. Anyway, I came across something that got me thinking about reincarnation again and thought I'd come back and share this with the folks here who might appreciate it.

I was listening to the song "The Highwayman" the other day. For the first time I was playing attention to the lyrics. I couldn't believe what I never noticed before. Clearly the song is a tale of a reincarnating soul. Now, if the song has been previously discussed on the forum, I apologize. I've been away a long time.

If you don't know, it's a song that was done by Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, and Johnny Cash years ago. Each verse describes a different life resulting in a premature death, but strongly insinuates the soul living on beyond physical body. Willie Nelson is the 'highwayman' who was hung as an outlaw but proclaims that "I am still alive." Kris Kristofferson is the 'sailor' who was killed in a sailing accident but assures that "I am living still." Waylon Jennings is the dam builder who who slipped and fell to his death but promises that "I am still around."

For the fourth verse, Johnny Cash says he'll fly a starship, which would obviously be a current of perhaps a future life. He is contemplating his inevitable death and what will follow. The line that ties the whole song together is "perhaps I may become a highwayman again." It brings the song full circle back to the first verse and tells the listener that it has been the same soul reincarnating across four lifetimes. Then it concludes with the four of them singing in chorus "I'll be back again, and again, and again, and again..." He knows he will just keep reincarnating over and over.

I've been hooked on this song the last couple days. Again, sorry if this song is old news around here. Either way, it's a cool song. I'll include the full lyrics below.

THE HIGHWAYMAN

Willie Nelson:
I was a highwayman. Along the coach roads I did ride.
With sword and pistol by my side.
Many a young maid lost her baubles to my trade.
Many a soldier shed his lifeblood on my blade.
The bastards hung me in the spring of '25, but I am still alive.

Kris Kristofferson:
I was a sailor. I was born upon the tide.
And with the sea I did abide.
I sailed a schooner 'round the Horn to Mexico.
I went aloft and furled the mainsail in a blow.
And when the yards broke off they said that I got killed, but I am living still.

Waylon Jennings:
I was a dam builder, across the river deep and wide.
Where steel and water did collide.
A place called Boulder on the wild Colorado.
I slipped and fell into the wet concrete below.
They buried me in that great tomb that knows no sound, but I am still around.
I'll always be around, and around, and around, and around...

Johnny Cash:
I'll fly a starship, across the universe divide.
And when I reach the other side.
I'll find a place to rest by spirit if I can.
Perhaps I may become a highwayman again.
Or I may simply be a single drop of rain, but I will remain.
And I'll be back again, and again, and again, and again...

I love that song. It's always thrown on when I have a few drinks. I never paid much attention to the lyrics though. Thanks.

HI Truthseeker, good to hear from you again. Interesting thoughts on this song, sure makes sense now that you point it out. ~Tman

Back