Jasmine And Her 'Camel'

Discussion in 'Children's Cases - Archive' started by Angelcat, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angelcat

Angelcat Senior Registered

I help out at a local nursery occasionally and there is a 3 year old girl there who I think may have past life memories.

Despite being a very girly girl who likes playing with dolls, she often draws a biplane. She told me months ago, "It's name is camel." A plane called camel :confused: I thought this was simply a small child's imagination. However, I have recently discovered that during WW1 there was a biplane called a Sopwith Camel. I printed off a picture of one and showed it to Jasmine. She was delighted and then said sadly, "My one's all broken in the trees."

I mentioned this all to her mother who told me that she sometimes had night terrors and screamed for someone or something called "Dard." I gather that Jasmine usually goes back to sleep without really waking up from these dreams, but on one occasion she did appear to wake and said that she wanted to go home. When told that she was home, she said that in the morning she wanted to go to somewhere that sounded to her parents like Shanaganny. I looked this up and there is a place in Co. Cork, Ireland called Shanagarry.

I have no idea if there is a connection between these night terrors and the WW1 Sopwith Camel biplane, but any comments would be welcome.

Angelcat :)

This post and discussion is continued in the thread Jasmine and her 'Camel'

2. Angelcat

I forgot to mention in my previous post that Jasmine has also drawn what looks to me like a Zeppelin with blue and yellow streaks emitting from its rear. However, when I asked her what it was, she said, "A gas bimp." Another picture was according to her, "Broken houses." When I asked her why the houses were broken, she sighed and said "The sky fell on them."

3. tanguerra

tanguerra Senior Registered

Sounds very much like memories of WWI and/or WWII, complete with air battles and bombing doesn't it? I wonder if 'gas blimp' was the name that people in the airforce would use for a zeppelin? It might be a way to pinpoint the nationality - if the British were more inclined to call them that than the Americans for instance?

4. Angelcat

The more I research this one, the more I am convinced Jasmine does have recall of a life that probably ended during WW1.

I now know a lot about the Sopwith Camel! Interestingly, it was a difficult plane to fly. It had high manoeverability in the air making it very effective in battle. However, in the hands of the inexperienced it could be a death trap - 356 of them crashed because pilots lost control of them.

I have been trying to find out about Irish pilots of this plane. So far, I have found some details of two WW1 flying aces who were born in Ireland, but neither crashed into trees. When I feel the moment is right, I will ask Jasmine what her name was when she flew this Camel.

The place in Ireland called Shanagarry is only a coastal village, not a city. I had never heard of it before. If that is the place she mentioned to her parents then it is even more remarkable than if she had spoken of somewhere well known such as Dublin.

I Googled zeppelin and discovered that it was indeed sometimes called a blimp (the word Jasmine used was "bimp", but that awfully close and she is only three. They were powered by hydrogen gas, so gas blimp is an apt discription.

5. Angelcat

I have an interesting update on Jasmine.

Jasmine has once again drawn the broken houses picture, this time with what appears to be smoke arising from the rubble. On this occasion, she made the comment, with a sigh, that "Dicky's mum and Bully Boy got deaded in those houses". I asked her who Dicky was and she said, "My friend." Bully Boy was apparently, "a white dog with little eyes."

Just before Christmas we sat the children down for our usual sing-song before going home at the end of the morning and the children were asked if they would like to choose songs to sing. We have a wide range of children's songs that we have taught them - everything from Ba Ba Black Sheep to songs from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Anyhow, Jasmine suggested that we sing It's a Long Way To Tipperary. When Jackie, one of the staff, said she had heard of this song but didn't know the words, Jasmine immediately sang the chorus perfectly and tried hard to sing what I only discovered later is the second verse.

When I asked her mother if they sang this song at home, she looked surprised and said they didn't. When she heard Jasmine sing it, she commented that she must have heard it on the radio, which is of course, a possibility. However, my thought is that Jasmine would have to have heard it a number of times to be able to remember the lyrics.

When I Googled this one, I discovered that the song dates from 1912 and was popular before the Great War started. It is specifically about an Irishman, which is interesting in view of the fact that Jasmine may have some past life connection with Ireland. For those unfamiliar with this song, here are lyrics:

Up to mighty London came

An Irish Lad one day,

All the streets were paved with gold

So everyone was gay!

Singing songs of Picadilly,

Strand and Leicester Square,

'Till Paddy got excited and

He shouted to them there:

Chorus

It's a long way to Tipperary,

It's a long way to go.

It's a long way to Tipperary

To the sweetest girl I know.

Goodbye Piccadilly,

Farewell Leicester Square,

It's a long, long way to Tipperary,

But my heart lies there.

Paddy wrote a letter

To his Irish Molly O

Saying "Should you not receive it ,

Write and let me know!

If I make mistakes in spelling

Molly dear," said he

"Remember it's the pen, thats bad.

Don't lay the blame on me."

Chorus

Molly wrote a neat reply

To Irish Paddy O

Saying Mike Malone wants

To marry me, and so

Leave the Strand and Piccadilly,

Or you'll be to blame,

For love has fairly drove me silly,

Hoping you're the same!

Chorus

6. Angelcat

Today, while she was drawing one of her ordinary pictures (house with garden and sun shining above) we had the following conversation, which I taped:

Me: When you had your plane that was called a Camel, was your name Jasmine?

J: (Spoken firmly) No...I...don't...think...so!

Me: Do you remember what your name was?

J: I'm not supposed to tell anybody.

Me: Why?

J: Because....(pause)....never tell them you name or number, that's why.

Me: Do you mean the number of the house you live in?

J: (Looking puzzled) No, your own number.

Me: I see. And when you had your plane, did you wear a pretty dress like the one you have on today?

J: (Smiling) That's silly!

Me: Why?

J: It is!

Me: What did you wear then?

J: I think it was trousers and a belt.

Me: Did you wear anything on the top of your body?

J: Yes, a fat coat.

Me: What colour was the fat coat?

J: Brown, I think and.....and glasses.

Me: You wore glasses? Like mine?

J: Bigger than yours.

Jasmine then changed the subject by asking to go to the bathroom.

Anybody got any ideas regarding what she might mean by "a fat coat"?

7. Clivia

Clivia Senior Registered

I went to google and typed in 'royal flying corps' - the predicessor of the Royal air force - and found this picture

here

it's one with big glasses

Clivia

8. littlebug

littlebug New Member

Hi Angelcat,

I was just telling my husband about Jasmine -- he was in the US Air Force in the late 70s and was stationed in Greece with RAF pilots, so he knows a little about this subject. Regarding Jasmine's blimp comment: he said that blimps were used on bombing missions in WWI (that was news to me). He also said that Jasmine's comment that "you never give them your name or number" is dead-on accurate; this is to prevent information from falling into the hands of the enemy. It would be interesting to see whether Jasmine might give a name if you could convince her that you're a "good guy"...?

Beth

9. Angelcat

I thought before I go off to bed, I'd share with you all one of Jasmine's drawings of her bi-plane:Angelcat :) This post and discussion is continued in the thread Jasmine and her 'Camel'

Jasplane1.jpg

/monthly_2008_01/Jasplane1.jpg.c5ff9d2d6d0d2255df3c05c07e630656.jpg

10. Angelcat

I know! When I first saw her draw one, I was in no doubt that it was a bi-plane even though I knew nothing about them. Every time she draws anything she tries very hard to get the details right. She will screw up pictures that she thinks are not good and start again. The one I posted here is the one she is most proud of and calls, "My best one." She now has it at home on her bedroom wall and gave me permission to copy it before she took it home.

I have done this, Chris. I printed off a photo of a Sopwith Camel and showed it to her a while ago. She was delighted and asked to keep it. There was little doubt in my mind, at the time, that she recognised it or at least this type of plane.

I have also shown her an old black and white photo of a zeppelin and her face fell. She seems to associate them with her pictures of broken houses. This makes perfect sense because from what I have read the Germans sent them on dark, moonless nights across the English Channel from bases in Belgium. When they were close to the coast, they cut the engines so that they floated silently inland to drop their bombs on London. Over 500 innocent civilians were killed as they slept in their beds. Fortunately, being largely a giant gas bag, zeppelins proved easy to destroy and the Germans stopped making them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.