Kade remembers his last name

Discussion in 'Children's Past Lives -Age 7 & under' started by Kitn, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitn

Kitn Senior Registered

We get a magazine every month from the electric department which lists all the activities and festivals. I will check them out when they are delivered from now on; good idea!

The little fellow sure came up with a startler today. We were playing and his mom was on the computer. He said "you want to make some dope?" My first reaction was where in the world did he hear that word. His father has a terminal disease but we always use the word medicine. The TV commercials use the word drugs. I have not heard the word dope used since the 70's; referring to illegal drugs.

We asked him how do you make dope and he answered you put in sugar, vines or flowers and you cook it; and you use trucks. We asked him what do you do with it then and he cupped his hands and brought them to his face. We have no idea where he got this from.

His father's medicine used to be delivered by catheter in the heart, but now he uses a new method like a breathing treatment. There is nothing one could refer to as dope in his medicines. Where would a four-years-old child come up with something this weird?

It may mean nothing. His mother told me that he had told her the same thing earlier today. She does not know where he could have heard it either.

I was thinking maybe dope could have caused Todd's violent behavior. Just a thought.

2. vicky

vicky Senior Member

Could he be referring to making alcohol, like wine? Can't think of what drug that would be.
    Vicky

3. allison

allison New Member

making dope

possibly an "herbal" tea?

4. vicky

vicky Senior Member

Allison might have something. BTW Welcome to the forum Allison. Still thinking why would he call it dope though?
    I feel like we are so close to figuring this all out.
    Maybe someone on the forum will think of it.
    Vicky

5. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Hello and welcome, Allison! :)

Kitn,

I am not certain how the term "dope" was used back in the day -- perhaps it was a reference only to marijuana. The way Kade describes it sounds more like something I've heard/seen on television -- I know a lot of people can "cook" certain types of drugs in their homes -- specifically meth, but I thought that was a more recent thing.

I found this on the urban dictionary site:

From Club-Drugs:

Ailish :)

6. allison

allison New Member

dope

My husband pointed me towards this link.
    http://www.erowid.org/plants/poppy/poppy_info2.shtml
    it is instructions to make tea with poppies, which as most of you probably know is the flower which you can make opiates.
    FYI, I work in behavioral health and work with many substance abusers and "dope" is a general term that can refer to many different drugs.
    As far as I know, the use of opiates would not cause anger (ie. the abuse in the home), unless maybe another substance is involved or in between uses.
    And thanks for the welcome!

7. magnet

magnet New Member

The first thing that came to mind for me was moonshine. I don't really know much about distilling alcohol and all that, but I think you could make it with things like flowers and vines, and you would "cook" it.

By the way, I've been quiet but following this thread- Thanks for keeping us all posted, Kitn. I really look forward to hearing all the latest things Kade says. :)

8. mikesnana

mikesnana New Member

a little more research

I am soooo intrigued by Kade. I tried doing some research on ancestry.com and rootsweb.com using the names Todd Scherlin, Sein Scherlin, and Emma Scherlin. These two sites allow you to look using soundex not just correct spelling. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything for the era you are looking at.

Then it dawned on me. If Todd killed Sein and Kade in his pl, there would probably be a criminal record. I started a search criminal records but was unsure of what area you suspect this to have occured. If it is North Dakota, those records are not public. If Todd is still living (hopefully not) and was convicted of murder in the 1960's or 1970's he might possibly still be incarcerated. Just another avenue to explore.

Also, you might want to explore http://www.interment.net/us/index.htm

Please keep us posted on Kade and his memories.

9. Kitn

Kitn Senior Registered

I will check out the links. Thanks everyone for the input. I am still fighting computer issues; trying to rebuild one myself. If that does not work-guess I will buy a Dell.

Kade spent the night and he told me while we were playing that his "other father" was a farmer. I asked him what did he grow and he replied corn. I checked online (since we are thinking N.D.) and they do have corn crops there. He also said his other father had a tractor and he took him riding. Could this be what he meant when he said his other father took him riding in the hills? He never did say whether it was by horse, buggy or car. He also said they had cows, chickens and a horse. The first time we had Kade on a horse at a carnival, he wanted the biggest one. He was not afraid and it looked like he knew what he was doing; he loved it!

He then said his other father had not so yellow hair. I asked oh blonde like yours and he said no it was not blonde but darker than yellow like brown. He said his other father's name was Scherlin and he thinks his name was Richard but not too sure. We only have one Richard in our family who lives in Tuscon,AZ. We call him Ricky and we know of no other Richards. He may have heard such a name somewhere else; skeptic in me.

I did ask him if he knew what "tasseling corn" was and he said no. My friend from Wisconsin told me she used to tassel corn so I thought I would ask him.

When I was at Kade's house last week I had given him some new plastic men. He looked at one and said "my other father used to" and then he quit talking. I knew he was thinking and thought maybe later he would bring it up again and he did last night.

I do come and read posts when I can and I try to keep the forum informed. This is all he has said since the last time.

10. Kitn

Kitn Senior Registered

I don't know if he knows how to ride. He wanted the biggest pony they had. He got on it (age 3) sat straight, showed no fear, and loooked perfectly at home. Most of my kids and grandkids were always afraid and cried on their first pony rides. Kade smiled and did not want to get off the pony. He got angry when we took him off.

We have a stable a few miles from here that gives lessons. I may take him there and see his reaction to horses that are not on that go-round thing like at the carnival.

11. MoonDansyr

MoonDansyr Senior Registered

I just wanted to note that it's not always easy to track down names/info on people, even when you know they existed. I've been doing genealogy on family members that I have concrete information on and sometimes can find no evidence of them at all.

I feel certain we will eventually unravel Kade's story, though. Kitn, I think you should call the local library or even newspaper and relate the story and see if anyone can help you research it.

I wish we had someone on these boards that lived in that area.

12. Kitn

Kitn Senior Registered

Kade was helping me load the dishwasher. He was on the side closest to where I keep my big kitchen utensils. He pulled a big ladle out of the holder and told me "this is what I used to drink water from with my other family." I said "really how did you do it." He put it under the tap and filled it with water and took a drink "like this" he said. I said "Oh you had a kitchen sink" and he said "no we had a well silly." I then asked how did you get the water from the well and he did not know. He called the utensil a dipper. That is what we called it at my grandmother's in the sixties. That is all he said tonight.

13. allison

allison New Member

I googled "drink from a dipper" and it looks like that was pretty common. Hence they named the constellations the big and little dipper.

14. magnet

magnet New Member

I googled it also and found a lot of references to drinking from a well with a dipper. This is from a K-12 website: "the Big Dipper is a group of very bright stars that resemble the cup and long handle of a water dipper that was used to get water from a bucket or a well. We do not commonly use dippers today but they were a part of every household in the 1800’s."

That doesn't necessarily mean Kade's memories are from that long ago, but it does seem to go along with the other clues he gives about not having electricity and such.

Honestly I had no idea people used to drink from dippers in wells- so how in the world could a 4 year old know that? That's an amazing statement- makes the skeptic in me almost have to give up other explanations :)

15. Kitn

Kitn Senior Registered

That is exactly what I thought. However, my grandmother did not have indoor plumbing in the sixties; as many other poor people. I have to say she did not consider herself poor, but according to the luxuries we had in the Chicago suburbs, but many people did. She had a well off her covered back porch. We always got out water from the well bucket with the dipper that hung on a nail by the well. I can remember drawing water on wash day. We sure have it made compared to my grandmother's days.

I do want to say that Kade refers now to his PL memories as "my other family." Maybe he is coming to realize the difference between then and now. He told me tonight that his other house but big but it was ugly. I don't know what he means by this but thought it a strange thing to say.

16. vicky

vicky Senior Member

Hi Kitn,
    Do you think maybe Kade was just poor in his past life and maybe his house reflected that? Since they didn't have plumbing when it did exist, I was thinking maybe they were poor.

I'm still thinking how lucky kade is to have you to listen to him.

Vicky

17. Kitn

Kitn Senior Registered

I was thinking the same thing about him using the word ugly. There probably was not a big screen tv or any of the gadgets we now have; including nintendo etc. Years ago I remember the big flowered curtains and swirly rugs which did not match, screen doors that squeaked when you opened or closed them and furniture which itched. As I look back on my childhood I would have to use the word gaudy, lol. But compared to todays look for homes I would imagine someone would call my childhood home ugly too; if they were younger.

18. Kitn

Kitn Senior Registered

Kade and his mom were over this afternoon. His mom told me he has been talking about his "other father." He told her his other father taught him how to do lots of things and took him fishing. He said his other father was very nice. He also talked about having chickens. His mom asked him what did they do with the chickens and he said "eat them." I asked him how did you do that and crouched and began running around. He said you have to catch them and take a knife like this and cut the head off. He also showed us how to milk a cow. We laughed because when he was pretend milking he put his tongue out and looked like he was getting a drink straight from the utter while milking. He has never been to farm since he was born.

Kade is not a meat eater. He told me long ago he did not like meat because you have to kill it to eat it. If he saw animals killed for food that may be why he does not like meat.

His mother told me today that Kade still says his other family's name is Scherlin. He is very insistant about this. He also said he did not get a sister this time. We asked him what happened to his sister and again he said "gun" she's dead. His mom said he has been talking about his other family quite a bit lately. He also talks about 3-d lake and he pretends we are going there when we are on the golf cart.

He was playing "bury me" again today. I don't like playing that but his mother said he plays that at home all the time. Sometimes he crawls under the area rug but mostly he uses couch pillows. He will tell me "I'm dead" and lay still for a few seconds then pop out and smile saying "see I'm not really dead." This is a strange game for a four year old-I think.

I guess I will begin my searching for Scherlins.

19. vicky

vicky Senior Member

I've heard Carol say that children often act out the past life traumas in their play. It almost sounds like when kade plays bury me that he is trying to deal with the fact that he knows he was dead and now he is alive again in a completely different home, family, environment.

I've noticed that with my son. Sometimes, he seems to have trouble with how he got here to this new situation, how he left his old family. I can see where this would be hugely confusing for a child. Although, if it makes you feel any better, my son has had far less memories since maybe a few months into Kindergarten. Kindergarten really seemed to ground him into this life. Its almost like his soul said 'o.k., I guess I live here now.' He turned 6 in March and we haven;t heard anything new for awhile.

Vicky

20. MoonDansyr

MoonDansyr Senior Registered

Kitn~

I think it is time to ask Kade again what his "other [given] name" was. I've done a lot of searching for Scherlin (and many alternative spellings) and have also combined it with the other given names of his "other" family members. I know it's out there somewhere. The internet is great, but unfortunately, it just doesn't have *everything*. I had difficulty tracking down info on my own great-grandmother when I knew her name, her parents' name, her husbands names (she was married twice).

Also, I was wondering if maybe you have any ancestors with the Scherlin last name. Do Kade's mother or father have any recollections of their own past lives? What about you? I just "feel" there's some kind of "previous" connection between you and Kade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.