Life as a WW2 German tank driver

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by tanker, Oct 23, 2018.

1. briski

briski Senior Registered

Not sure how that works, surely they would have reincarnated by now, unless they are lost or didnt want to reincarnate?

2. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

It seemed to imply they were stuck there with fright, and had remained ever since. I'm not really into those sort of programmes normally, so don't know much about ghosts. I only watched it as it was the Ardennes and they were German.

briski likes this.
  3. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

For anyone who's interested, here is how I described the moment of a child's first confession of a past life - exactly as it happened to me. You can see why I didn't want regression. Taken from the opening chapter of my book ...

"6.30pm. I was lying face down on the red landing carpet, giving out orders.

My poor aunt. What did she know about any of this? Most times, she indulged my games, played along with my scenarios, but tonight was different. Tonight I was ready to give her the truth. Ready? No, I needed to give her the truth. I’d held on to it long enough.

England, 1947. Two years since the war was over. Sensitive times, but I didn’t know that. It’s not as if she’d lost anyone. All I wanted was a bit of honesty. She deserved the truth. They all did. And I was the only one left who could pass it on.

She was standing there some distance behind me, waiting, and if I turned my head to the left I could look back, back along my outstretched body, back past the mud-stained trousers, past the boots, along the stretch of deep red, further still to where I could see her feet shifting impatiently as she waited for me to give her the order to move.

‘You’re walking towards me.’

Her footsteps were quiet, hesitant, unwilling perhaps, almost as if some unknown part of her knew even before I spoke. She stopped, stood still, listening. I watched her coward’s feet. Come on. I don’t want to wait. Not now.

I came out with the words all at once, words I shouldn’t have known, words she probably didn’t know herself, her sheltered, uneventful life having no need of such things.

‘My name is Heinz. I’m a German soldier. They killed me with a flame-thrower. Flammenwerfer. Come and see.’

I heard her loud intake of breath as my own was silenced. Her feet made no attempt to carry her nearer. A moment’s quiet. And then all hell broke loose.

‘What do you think you’re doing? Get up! German? Don’t you dare say such things! Don’t you ever say that word again! Get up this minute!’

She ran over and dragged me to my feet, pulling me roughly along the corridor to my room. I didn’t know her now. She was the enemy. It was the horror and hysteria in her voice that sowed the seed of shame that night. I understood nothing. Only truth.

I was three years old."

I'd be interested to hear how others first realised they'd lived before, and how it was received. This scene is as vivid to me now as it was then. In a sense, it dictated the rest of my life. I have to smile, that it was the fact of being German that bothered her, rather than the nature of my death. She never referred to that night again, and I never knew if she spoke of it to my parents. She certainly never came to look after me again!

glia21, Carloloner, Speedwell and 2 others like this.
  4. glia21

glia21 explorer21

My mom actually told me not to talk such nonsense when I told her about the farm I lived at and the dogs we owned. I remember it clearly too. We were at my grandparents house and I have to admit I didn´t say it straight away, I kind of said it in a funny voice. Maybe no wonder she didn´t take it seriously? I was in primary school at that time.. not sure how old exactly, maybe 8 or 9 years? The thing that bothered me most was that I was a boy then… :rolleyes:
    Interesting your aunt had her focus on you being german.. :eek: terrible thing! ;)

tanker likes this.
  5. glia21

glia21 explorer21

Guys, something else I want to let you know… I wasn´t involved in WW2, at least not personally, but my grandfathers were (both Austrians) and one of them fought in Russia, Stalingrad. We were very close when I was a kid but he never talked about the war. He had been captured there too, he was just a plain soldier and I know he wasn´t interested in participating at all. With your descriptions I get a good picture of what it might have meant to really be there…

tanker likes this.
  6. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

glia, thank you for your replies I'm very glad your grandfather made it home and made a life for himself. Of the 90,000 approx. of Stalingrad POWs taken, only around 5,000 ever made it home. He must have been very strong, and to have the sheer will-power to keep going through that amount of hardship shows an incredible heroism to my way of thinking. I salute him.

It didn't occur to me, when talking about some of the horrors of that place, that it might have not been what some people wanted to hear about. I hope I haven't caused you upset. I've often wondered how many of them ever spoke about it again. For some of us, the war's never over. I'd be interested to know more about your grandfather and how he adapted to life. Do you know what regiment he was? Did he put it all behind him successfully? I'm glad he had the joy of a family as his reward.

7. girlinblue

girlinblue Active Member

I do! I remember joking around with the General that was with our troop at the time. (I am from the Civil War) and as for smells I can smell something that will instantly take me back to a certain place or time.

tanker likes this.
  8. briski

briski Senior Registered

French Civil war or American?

9. girlinblue

girlinblue Active Member

American.

briski likes this.
  10. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

Hi girlinblue, do you recall the words or is it just the occasion? I find the same with smells - they flick a switch.

11. girlinblue

girlinblue Active Member

I do remember words. In this particular situation, we were all marching in the night, and our company had bonded pretty well at this point after spending so much time together. The running joke was that we could not cross railroad crossings in the dark without one of us tripping & falling. I remember one night we all crossed and no one tripped, and the leader whom I believe was a general spins around and says, "My god, did we make it?" And we all started laughing. It's a good memory. Do you remember any words?

tanker likes this.
  12. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

I like it!

I remember a lot of words, whole conversations, with several different people. Maybe not word for word perfect, but pretty much, I think. Of course, it was all in German then, but my memories come out in English. Don't ask me how! I can recall the differences between their accents, though, and the sound of their voices. One of the men I knew had a very odd kind of sing-song inflexion in his voice, and I thought it sounded menacing, even if the words weren't. He was a bit of a pathetic character, although a tough fighter. I was torn between feeling sorry for him and being scared of him.

Only just noticed you're a new member, so welcome. I joined a few days ago. I hope you find it as interesting as I do.

13. briski

briski Senior Registered

Thats strange your memories are in english, how good is your understanding of spoken german

14. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

Puzzles me. I never learned German. However, I can get the gist of some of it, and remember a few wartime words such as commands, etc. I can read out loud without understanding it, but I'm told I'm reading with a good accent and my pronunciation is correct. Life is full of mysteries.

briski likes this.
  15. briski

briski Senior Registered

Id imagine if you wanted to you could pick it up fast

tanker likes this.
  16. girlinblue

girlinblue Active Member

Amazing! And yes I am new, I actually just joined about an hour ago so forgive me if I'm not doing everything correctly just yet. It's just such an amazing feeling to fit in somewhere. This forum is like a safe place.

tanker likes this.
  17. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

I agree with all that. It's good to know we can all understand each other, as well as learn from each other. And incredible to meet up with people who were once in the same places as you were. I'm afraid I only remember one past life, but it's keeping me occupied ...

18. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

I've just begun. I love the sound of it ... oh so familiar. All I need is more time ...

briski likes this.
  19. girlinblue

girlinblue Active Member

I actually believe I have only been reincarnated once, and only have the one past life. I do not look at reincarnation as an endless loop but as something God picks for you for a purpose. At least that's what it is for me, and I'm very sure of it. I don't mind it though! Like you said, you can really put time into researching your past life and finding details.

tanker likes this.
  20. briski

briski Senior Registered

It varies, there are people on here that have reincarnated many times since ancient times.