Mary Poppins Returns

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by SeaAndSky, Dec 27, 2018.

1. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

At the more easily awed age of 10, I saw the original Mary Poppins and was quite swept away. That was 55 years ago. I was young then and now I am old. I went to see Mary Poppins Returns last night, and after some initial up-front adjustment to the scenario, actors, and initial scenes, I found myself once again immersed in an ancient "magic" that I had not felt for quite some time. The new movie should not be compared to the first. It is not, strictly speaking, its equal in terms of music or casting. However, after the first 10 minutes or so, I somehow found myself a child again, able to suspend criticism and disbelief, completely lost in the story and thoroughly enjoying it. So, for the ancient ones on the board who are at the right age to wish to recapture something, and are willing to throw comparisons out the window, I think you will find it a very interesting trip into your own past and a way to rediscover some delights of childhood. For those who are neither old enough nor young enough, or are jaded by the massive musicals and CGI spectacles of modern movies, it may not be your cup of tea. But my inner child left the theater smiling last night--for the first time in many a year.

Cordially,
    S&S

PS--It was also a delight to see Dick Van Dyke again, and seeming amazingly limber despite his years!

glia21 and KenJ like this.
  2. SeekerOfKnowledge

SeekerOfKnowledge Learner

You mean you have seen the original in your current life?
    „Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious“ and „Chim-Chim-Cheree“ were still going around in the 1970's or early 1980's or so...

SeaAndSky likes this.
  3. SeaAndSky

Hi Seeker,

Yup! I was a very mischievous (and unstudious) 10 year old at the time. Now I am a much stodgier and older me.

As you note, the songs from the original were still going strong many years later--they continue to be very catchy. We were very definitely singing and humming them after seeing the movie all those years ago.

I think that was the first movie that I ever saw where the characters actually entered the animation, which was totally cool! There had been some where some animated characters briefly entered our world, but not one that I know of where we entered theirs. So, that may have been a first.

Cordially,
    S&S

PS--we also spent plenty of time working on our Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!!

PPS--I shouldn't say anything bad about the cast in the new movie. They have some wonderful actors, singers, dancers, etc. The actors in the supporting roles definitely include some big names. And, the leads are very good--it's just hard to replace Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke to someone who grew up with the originals (though I can say that "Jack" does a better job with the Cockney accent than his predecessor). Anyhow, no real complaint there either.

SeekerOfKnowledge and Speedwell like this.
  4. SeekerOfKnowledge

SeekerOfKnowledge Learner

Didn't everyone? That there are different "translations" for the German version didn't make it easier. Superkalifragilistischexpialigetisch or Superkalifragilistischexpialigorisch?

glia21 and SeaAndSky like this.
  5. SeaAndSky

Hi Seeker,

That is hilarious! I had to laugh thinking about all of the other possible translations for that preposterous word! I wonder how they said it in China, Japan or Fiji? I'm sure it has come out even stranger in various versions around the world.

Cordially
    S&S

glia21 and SeekerOfKnowledge like this.
  6. glia21

glia21 Senior Member

I watched the movie on TV when I was a child. :D in german of course. Only remember "superkalifragilis... expialitetisch" or something similar :cool:
    I think my 9 year old daughter may enjoy the new one. Will definitly go there with her. :)