Meher Baba's Comment on Remembering Past Lives

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by jbader, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Goldenage

Goldenage Senior Registered

the path

Yes this may be so but a big part of being spiritually ready involves the direct participation of the person concerned. In other words anybody motivated to try to remember elements of their past lives will, by persistence, be able to do so. Thus spiritual readiness depends only on one's will.

The explanation as to why some remember pastlives spontaneously and some do not needs only to be tied to the understanding that in everyday life some people remember more of a day's doings than do others. The reason for this involves attention to detail. Alternatly, some people forget things more readily than others do.....

What I am saying here is that "spiritual readiness" depends entirely on one's own will. Spritual readiness need not be some vague state that just "falls from the sky" as it were. Spiritual readiness can be activly prepared by anybody at will if so inclined.

On the other hand spiritual readiness may also develop naturally without apparent intent of the individual concerned but really, it need not be that way at all.

There is a clear and definate path to self-awareness and any person may choose to take that route at any time. There is no mystery about it whatsoever. (IMHO)

2. jbader

jbader Senior Registered

Hello Goldenage,

It may well be true that one can remember limited or fragmentary past lives by making an effort to remember. It certainly seems possible, though I don't personally know because I don't remember any of my previous lives. Some persons and places are deeply familiar to me, but this isn't the same as say Deborah's experiences which appear to be actual recollections.

But Meher Baba says this rare state of remembering (or knowing) with full clarity ALL of one's INNUMERABLE previous lives is simply a by-product of advanced states of consciousness known by true saints.

But the saint doesn't gain that state by trying to remember their previous lives - rather their sole focus and interest is a continual longing for and remembrance of God which results in self-forgetfulness and the annihilation of low desires, by inner (and sometimes outer) renunication of worldly things. Meher Baba says the saints seek only God - not past lives - and the rare ones who actually attain to these advanced states of conscious - ironically - gain FULL remembrance of numberless past lives (as well as many other spiritual powers, knowledge, and experience) as a by-product of these exalted states.

Jonathan.

3. Eevee

Eevee Administrator/Archivist Staff Member Super Moderator

What I understood from this quote was, that memories are only beneficial if we are spiritually advanced enough to not be 'attached' anymore in a 'possessive' way to relations/persons of the past.
    When we remember a past life, and the persons in it, we might have to deal with the fact that my PL lover is now someone elses lover, that my child is now someone elses child etc...
    If we are not ready to detach from the PL relation, the memories might be disturbing, if we still feel possessive towards a person that we recognize as being ours in a past life.
    That is what I made of this exerpt.

Eevee

4. Goldenage

Jonathan
    Well, from my perspective, I spent the majority of my life in the role of a scientist. A fan of the notion that an objective world existed apart from me (us). It was only when I reacted with disbelief when a friend expressed a belief in reincarnation a few years back that I had occasion for a second thought. At my reaction my friend asked me if it might not be more unbelievable to have lived only once than many times. Now it might have been ”grace” but, instead of rejecting the notion out of hand, I asked myself (since I recalled no past lives and thought the idea of past lives to be “a granola crunching hippy notion" anyway) well, if I have lived previous lives then there must be some trace of this in my consciousness, a memory, a behavioral quirk, something….

Accordingly, I thought I would look for evidence (or lack thereof) in the form of unexplained behavioral tendencies, that is, behavior that could not be charged to experiences in this life. If I found none I proposed to myself that I would reject the notion of past lives as applied to me anyway. But surprise surprise, after extensive meditation (tracing my life backward) I did find unexplained tendencies. So according to my rationale I concluded that there must be something to the past-life business. Armed with this conclusion I toddled off to a past-life-regression person posing the question “why have I always tended to do so & so in such & such a situation”???? Bingo – I landed in a “swords & sandals” scenario whacking off whole cities at a single blow just to strike terror and ”pacify” the conquered …..Shock, horror etc. etc.

Now, I really does not matter if you do not remember “all” your past lives, one will be sufficient to get one started. There are (IMHO) relatively few only that are of fundamental importance in anchoring us in Samsara. These are the lives that must be “cleared” – one has to come to terms with these in order to “get off of the wheel”. The rest of the lives have no hold on us so why bother to recall them? The issue is that one does recall “all of the lives” when one has recalled one only. The reason is that once you can surface one life it is just a matter of time and concentration in order to dig out the rest. So one life really means “all lives”.

That said, the name of the game-of-life IS self-realization – to remember your true Self, who you really are and in so doing comprehend the notion “that life is but a dream”….. You wake up to understand that the dreamer is the Self one only, beyond time and space and the world is just an appearance.

Now you might wish to know that Meher Baba is not alone in the “why bother to remember past lives” line. Many people regard Sri Maharshi Ramana as one of the most noteworthy Jiani’s of modern times and he likewise said “why bother to remember past-lives? Find out first who you are”. By that he meant that one should concentrate on the question “Who or what am I?”. The path involving “identification with god” (devotion) leads to the same thing (so it is said by some). However, Vasishtha’s Yoga points out two things (among many): 1) the recollection of past lives is a key to self-realization; 2) the high-road is self-enquiry.

Putting these two together, for someone who has remembered at least one past life the formula I recommend is: “who or what am I that so span time and space?”

Will it enable self recollection? By Ramana’s basic recommendation it certainly can. We also have Vashitha’s support in this and I add my modestly positive assertion (for whatever it is worth) as well.

:) :)

5. Goldenage

Eevee,
    Even if one recalls no past lives I would say that immediate interaction with people in the category you describe would still ignite any unfinished business. On the other hand, if one knows the relationships involved (through past life recall) then at least there is some ground for dealing with the situation.
    :)