• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Memory fragments from Native American life

Jadeswan

When I first toyed with the idea of reincarnation I closed my eyes and thought, "I wonder if I can remember anything from past lives." Three flashes came to me in rapid succession. One of the flashes later was expanded upon in my regression to my life in Kenya. Another flash had an empty feeling to it and may have only been based on an old picture I saw of some ancestors. I'm still not sure about that one. The other flash, however, was so special to me that I kept revisiting it over and over in my mind even as I dismissed it. The long wooden building reminds me of pictures of Iroquois long houses so I suspect I may have been Iroquois.

It is early morning. I am lying on a pallet of skins on a packed dirt floor. There are people also lying on pallets nearby and they seem to be still asleep. In spite of their presence there is a feeling of privacy. I am in a long wooden building. I look toward the door of the building. Dawn is just beginning to light the sky. There is a skin or blanket over the door. One corner of it has been fastened back to the top of the doorway and it forms a darker triangle against the rest of the skin through which more light is able to shine. Outside the ground gently slopes upward and there are beautiful, delicately shaped trees growing outside. I feel an incredible sense of peace and familiarity. I know there is someone I love nearby outside and I will see him soon.

After I began to completely open my mind to the concept of past lives the second fragment flashed into my mind without any warning while I was washing dishes.

I see myself from above. I am a young woman of about twenty with brown skin and dark hair. I am lying on a pallet of skins and a young man is squatting or kneeling beside me. His chest is bare except for the leather strap of his quiver and he is wearing some sort of leather pants or perhaps a breech-cloth with leggings. I know that I am dying from lack of food and he is in terrible grief over it. I'm not sure what happened to our crops or why there is no game to hunt. It isn't his fault but he blames himself that he was unable to find game. His hand is laid on my arm and although he isn't visibly crying, I know he is crying inside. I want to tell him something, perhaps how much I love him and not to blame himself but I am too weak to speak. More than anything, though, I feel his tremendous, all-encompassing, passionate, tender love and the love itself cradles and embraces me as I die.

Jadeswan, very interesting and sad memory. Its emotional intensity certainly runs true for past life memories. I too have partial memories of a Native American life. Some friends and I were talking not to long ago about how there seems to be more and more Native people returning to current lives as Americans...especially a number of them living here on the plains. I think the love of this land, this native place, keeps bring us back. I look forward to more of your memories. I've never really tried putting mine to words...perhaps you will prompt me.

Tman

Tinkerman, thank you for responding. Yes, it is a very emotionally intense memory. Sometimes when I am feeling emotionally open I find myself crying for my love. I want to tell him that I'm okay and I have plenty to eat in this life, that I still love him and have never, ever blamed him.

That is interesting about more Native Americans returning to the plains. I think I may have had at least two lives as a Native American but I can only remember one of them. As child I was obsessed with anything Native American. There are so many childhood photos of me wearing moccasins and a headband with a nice dress and tights. :D

I would really love to hear some of your memories when you feel ready to share.

Hello Jadeswan. Yes I can, without a doubt, relate to your feelings of love for another soul. I have similar experiences that made me come to know reincarnation many years ago. My story can be found here. This is the only one I have shared on the forum so far. As for Native American lives I am certain of at least two, but feel or intuitively "know" there are others. I am particularly drawn to the Wind River Reservation in Wyoming. I went there once in response to this premonition. I found nothing there, but went on across the mountains and found a pass that was the same as in a memory. Powerful feeling of knowing. I stopped and walked around for quite awhile. In the dream I was going up to the pass heading east across the divide. I was with three others and one horse pulling a drag sled.

What do you think of the idea that the Native soul is returning in the ways you and I are remembering?

Tman

Tinkerman, I read your story and it is powerful, beautiful and sad. Thank you so much for sharing it. I am so sorry for all you have been through in the loss of your wife and your sons.

I was especially moved by this: "When I'm sad I cry...powerfully and completely, when I'm awed by numinous beauty I allow it to shake my core, when faced with doubt I touch the foundation of past existence, and when confronted with strife I grasp power and wisdom from many battles, in many lives." (I hope you don't mind me quoting it.) That is such a deep and wonderful way to live. I think that may be at the core of my search for my past lives. I feel at this time that part of me is fragmented to some degree, a little bit of me here and a little bit there. While I'm still holding onto those past lives too much, I cannot fully appreciate and experience the present. I want to be able to do that so I am going back to collect my memories and learn from them all I can. Maybe then they will be beautiful jewels I turn over in my hands rather than haunting mysteries calling my name in the wind in the dark of the night.

I wonder if souls who lived Native American lives are returning right now because the lessons we learned are needed in some way at this time. I don't know all the lessons we bring but it seems they would include tolerance, conservation of resources, deep-rooted spirituality and a strong sense of family. What you said about the land resonates with me as well.

Jadeswan said:
I wonder if souls who lived Native American lives are returning right now because the lessons we learned are needed in some way at this time. I don't know all the lessons we bring but it seems they would include tolerance, conservation of resources, deep-rooted spirituality and a strong sense of family. What you said about the land resonates with me as well.
My primary native American lifetime was one of absolute harmony with our environment. One of the first visions was outside my body while I was actually standing next to a bison...the bison stood there grazing while I watched the sun go down and I was within an arms length of it. The most complete lifetime I have yet remembered was this one...I was in complete harmony with nature and my family and my tribe. Anything used to eat was honored before it was killed or uprooted or cut off for our use and we were one with all. As all spiritual tenet says, we are one with all...well the native american experience was one with all.

Jadeswan and others, Thanks for Posting and Loved your stories. Now I also have had some past lives as a Native American among various tribes. Back in the late 90's, I had a trip where I visited the Northern Cheyenne Reservation in Southern Montana. When I visited the reservation, I felt so deeply profoundly like I was back home. When later I visited the local cemetery there at Lame Deer, Mt. on the reservation, I just cried and cried and cried. I have a deep deep connection with the Cheyenne tribe it seems. I personally think that my most recent past life was with the Cheyenne. There is so much a part of myself which seems to be Native American but am born white.

Also there have been times where I have had glimpses of myself as a member of the Anasazi / Fremont Anasazi in the Southwest, deep connections it seems also with the Mountain Shoshone or the Sheepeaters, as an elder and storyteller among the Delaware in the east at the time when the whiteman were first coming, and other tribes.

Just lately in some of my meditations, I see myself as a young Indian Woman with a plains tribe, (Cheyenne ???), cooking over a fire. I have a ladle made from buffalo horn in which am using in stirring what am cooking over the fire. There are my kids running around nearby. And my husband, a warrior and we have such a very deep loving relationship. I am so proud of my warrior husband. The Indian Village with the tepees and the village is all around. And I am so content and happy with life and the Indian way of life.

Now I myself also do think that there are many Native Americans returning now but as members of the white race. As for myself, in my meditations it has come to me that I had to be born white this time for if I had been born as a member of the Native Americans / Indians then I would have a fist raised in hate and bitterness it seems. And I had to see life on the other side of things so to speak.

Kmatjhwy, thank you for sharing glimpses of your memories. It's interesting that you mentioned being white in this life so you could see things from both sides. I'm mostly white in this life with just a drop of Native American---not enough that anyone would claim me but enough that when I was a child and claimed to be Native American my family didn't think it was too strange. I also have both German and Jewish ancestry. I think this gives me an interesting perspective on racial hatred. In the end we are all one anyway and any hate we perpetuate only becomes hate for ourselves.

Similarly to what you described in your life as a young plains Indian woman, two things that strike me about my life as a Native American are feeling incredibly peaceful and content and sharing a very deep love with someone.

Jadeswan, thanks for your reply. Now again I think there are quite a few Native Americans who are being born 'white' now. Whereby while there are former whites being born Native American now days. This is just what I believe and think for what it is worth.

Now along with this memory, it has been normal for me, and should say very very common for myself, to have deja vu's whenever I get around Indian Tepees it seems. I have been as a small kid addicted to anything Native American since as a very very small kid. I Just Looovvveee Powwow Music and could listen to it all day long bigtime! And I personally extremely despise Custer for whatever it is worth!

Also as I mentioned have had several other glimpses of a former life as a Native American which have mentioned but will say again. Onetime I was in Calf Creek Canyon in the Escalante region in Southern Utah. I was coming from a special place of mine which has an old Anasazi / Fremont Anasazi granary. I saw myself as I was leaving for some seconds or several minutes as a Anasazi / Fremont Anasazi male in my maybe low 30's. I had black hair that was in the Hopi style down to my shoulders. Then was dressed only in a braintanned leather breechcloth and moccasins. In another glimpse, I was an Anasazi woman of middle age at some cliff dwelling grinding corn with my children out and running around doing what kids do. I was in some canyon in southern Utah at the time standing at a place where the former inhabitants grinded corn.

And again in this latest glimpse in my meditations, Yes how content and happy it seems I am with life in the Indian old ways as this young Native American Woman. But also I get glimpses of soldiers, the blue coats, descending on the village with lots of mayhem, death, and destruction. For what it is worth.

I'm sorry your memories end with such sadness and destruction. No matter how those lives ended, we still carry with us a lot of good memories and love from those times.

What a powerful and exciting experience it must have been to have flashbacks brought on by that special place! I hope to someday visit somewhere that I have lived in a past life or at least somewhere that reminds me of a place I have lived.

Yeah, although I am not bitter I still feel anger when I read about the things that were done to Native Americans. There is a story about a Cherokee Beloved Woman named Standing Fern and how she and her warriors fought to save some children from massacre. When I read that story I sobbed out loud.

I always felt drawn to the Iriqouis nation, and love the names they have left behind...connecticut, osceola, tokeneke, the words are like a blessing:)

Oh, yes, I love all those beautiful names too! I used to like to look at maps and find the names I thought were cool or unusual. :D

Back