Movie characters that stand out to you

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by KenJ, Feb 15, 2018.

1. KenJ

KenJ Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

I did a search to see if there was a thread about this and found few posts, here is one that is close. That post is about how movie characters might lead to thoughts of reincarnation, but I'm just thinking about how a movie character has affected me as a roll model for my current life. As far as movie characters, or story-lines, that I connect with for some reason are the "mountain men" movies.

But, what I was thinking more about is the kind of person I/You wanted to be most like in my/your current life. My wish, which I'll never live up to, was James Mckay played by Gregory Peck in Big Country, I've watched this old movie several times and still enjoy it. What character have you seen, or read about, displayed a perspective that you admire?

2. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

So you like Grizzly Adams Ken?

I connected with loads of film characters over the years. William Wallace, Maximus, John McClane, First Blood Rambo and on and on.

But the one I connect with most is Humphrey Bogarts characters ( I had to make a similar choice as Bogarts Rick from Casablanca with my old love for instance ). That world weary cynicism hiding a noble heart is something that I could always really relate to.

Perhaps that's why Harrison Ford is my favourite still living film star. He embodies much of the qualities Bogart did. Much of the qualities I've lived.

My list is not surprising given my past lives. Its possible the characters that appeal to you could indicate what kind of person you were in your past lives Ken.

3. KenJ

Adams was not what I was thinking of, more like Jeremiah Johnson and The Mountain Men. Although in my lifetime as Ken, I've always wanted a female partner. I have kept in contact with nearly all of the women in my life, and am on good terms with them, I can not say the same for the male friends and business associates as a lot of them have passed on by now.

This whole thing about Mountain Men may simply be my early introduction to rifles and being fairly good with them; it's been a long time since I've been able to plink with one down at the creek or punch holes in paper targets. Hunting, fishing, and trapping have not held much interest for me since my teens.

4. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I lived in a tent up a mountain for a few months when I was homeless Ken. I tried to stay out of the city mostly. I was in a terrible state though. I did lamp for rabbits though.

5. KenJ

Jim, it indeed sounds as though you have had some rough spots in this lifetime. I am impressed with the adversities that people have overcome, mine pale in comparison to what others have endured. I read this one in Quora Digest yesterday that shows a tenacity that goes beyond mine, perhaps something that JustinTime should consider.

What thoughts I had by starting this thread was more about what life-script that members observed that they wanted to emulate, although either direction is fine since I just wanted to find something that might be interesting to talk about. It was probably poor timing yesterday to talk about shooting rifles with the happenings yesterday in Florida - sorry about that if it offended anyone.

6. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

Hi Ken,

People have been hunting with rocks, spears, bows, and now rifles. Like a butter knife, a rifle can be misused. And, many would argue that some types of rifle invite misuse. However, whether justified or not for rifles that look like they are made for war, I doubt that criticism could be used on any honest huntin' rifle you used once upon a time. BTW, I've know many avid hunters in my day. They were not only some of the most conservation minded people I have known, but generally some of the nicest. I've also known many AR15 owners (including my own brother) and would say the same, especially since there is a lot of cross-over between these two groups. Not my cup of tea, but that's just me.

In terms of the gentleman you linked--great story! It did me good to read it, but I still don't know that his story and tenacity goes beyond yours. And, like you, I definitely believe JustinTime would do well to read the story. Sigh! I doubt he would get through it before getting bored, and would not see its applicability even if he did get through it, but I would love to have my guesses proved wrong.

Cordially,
    S&S

7. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

How would you know how tenacious you are until you are challenged Ken. You are probably a lot stronger than you think.

Well the life script of Casablanca was Rick sending his love off with another man for a greater good. That's exactly what I had to do Ken. I didn't try to emulate Rick though. I just noticed I had to do the same thing. I've never really tried to emulate film characters except insofar as finding some of them that I could really relate to. Reincarnation just illustrated to me exactly why I related to them.

8. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

In saying that...films like Braveheart and Gladiator offered up scripts that I could relate to on a subconscious level. I never really gave it much thought though, beyond thinking those characters were 'heroic'.

9. Spirit Sword

Spirit Sword Senior Registered

I always loved a good historical heroic movie like Jim does. I'm guessing that this is likely because I spent a good deal of time in similar positions, and even in exact groups of people that inspire legends and cinema.

Although I don't like to name names, I will say that one character I came to like quite a lot turned out to actually be a spoof on a past life persona of mine. Life is funny that way.

10. CanSol

CanSol Senior Member

In my case I often find myself watching Band of Brothers and Tour of Duty, even when I've started watching something else, next thing I know one of those are playing (that's easy to do on a laptop)
    The characters that I'm most drawn to are Doc Roe from BoB and Ruiz from ToD
    I get the first one considering I was a medic in that same Regiment but Ruiz.... I was neither latino, Army or a machine gunner in Nam, atleast not as far as I know

And Gunny Galindez from JAG.... Oorah! Makes me miss the Corps

There isn't any good Canadian WWI or II material out there that can interest me, Passchendaele could've been a great one, had quite a few active duty CF members featured from all over the service but only the first and last part where it actually contains combat resonates with me, the rest is just one long, boring love story
    Paul Gross redemed himself with Hyena Road, in general that's as close as reality as you can feature the Stan and there are a few moments that actually hurt to watch considering I've been there and relate to Ryan, he made some though calls that I would've made if I were in a similar position

11. -HM-

-HM- Senior Registered

Joe Carroll on The Following
    Crowley on Supernatural
    Leonardo DiCaprio's character on Wolf of Wall Street

I seem to usually (not always but usually) be drawn to or relate more to the bad guys.
    I also never really feel the same relation or affinity for female characters, probably because I have been male in a majority of my lives despite being female in this one.

12. RedSunshine

RedSunshine Member

Don Vito Corleone of The Godfather

13. Andenderew

Andenderew New Member

Henry Letham from "Stay".