• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Music and sound as a trigger

Thank you, Jody for the Johnnie Cope, that's a really good song, as well as the Jacobites by name, I can't stop listenning to them.

I don't dare to refer to any past life connections as I am a fan of English folk music also, but the song you have recommended is really wonderful.

Skarphedinn

Hey Alexnovo, have you ever listened to Fairuz or Umm Kulthum? They are both famous Arabic singers with very recognizable voices and pretty much any Arab who listens to music knows who they are.

Allerleirauh, Thanks for the suggestions. I do not recognize the names (I really like the sound of Arabic music, but as I do not speak the language (at least in this life ;) ) I am unfamiliar with many artists. I look them up and see if I can listen to some of their music and let you know what my impression is.

Phoenix said:
And when I set it up, picked up the drumsticks and started to play a complex military cadence, the memory that surfaced, made it very clear-I'd once been a very young drummer, who marched into battle at the side of a piper. I don't know if it was a clan war, or we were battling the English, and I don't know if I survived, as that and one other brief glimpse are the only memories I have of that lifetime. I still need to identify just what it is that I automatically play when I sit down at the drum.
My very first ever past life memory involved the bagpipes - and indeed it was about war. Perhaps the same one? Who knows? I wrote about it here. I still remember rushing up to the wire fence as the pipers marched by and gripping it with my little fingers while all the hair came up on the back of my neck.

Music in general and various songs in particular have often been triggers for me. Didgeridoo music makes me feel all peculiar whenever I hear it. I get all sort of 'far away'.

Allerleirauh, Once again thanks for the links. I went on youtube and listened to quite a bit of music from both. There was no trigger or sudden flash of memories, but I did really like them. I will say this performance did seem to move me more than the others. I have no idea why (nor what the song is even about) but I did strike me emotionally.

How exactly did it strike you? As in, how did you feel that it struck you emotionally?

The song is about love, as is most Arabic music. :) The woman is asking what she is working for, and says how she dreams of the man all night and shows him her soul. I think it is a forbidden love, although I'm not sure. Anyway, it is a very moving song and would touch you emotionally whether you understood it or not simply by the way she sings it. At least I think so.

It would be interesting if it meant something in particular to you in a PL, though. :rolleyes:

Allerleirauh said:
How exactly did it strike you? As in, how did you feel that it struck you emotionally?
The song is about love, as is most Arabic music. :) The woman is asking what she is working for, and says how she dreams of the man all night and shows him her soul. I think it is a forbidden love, although I'm not sure. Anyway, it is a very moving song and would touch you emotionally whether you understood it or not simply by the way she sings it. At least I think so.

It would be interesting if it meant something in particular to you in a PL, though. :rolleyes:
It is very interesting that you say you think it is about forbidden love, because that is the feeling that I got from it. Like it was a love that could not be had and was therefore a little sad. very interesting, but you said the entire tone of it is very emotional. I will say that I did not have the feeling that I had necessarily heard the song in a past life, it was just the emotional response. BTW do you have any idea how old the song is?

I heard someone talking about calliope music and looked it up because I didn't know the term. The piece I found on youtube made me feel a sense of dread and for some reason smell a manure like scent. I had to turn it off, part way through and it took awhile to stop feeling worried.

The first time I listened to this, I saw- it was weird, fabric, moving like it was dancing. Black fabric, like on someone's shoulder or back? green, and pink spots outlined in gold on it.

Strange fragments.

It's totally true- music is a total cure all. You'll forget what makes you.. forget.

Klezmer makes me happy inside. Complete, comfortable. Sitar, I love- Chinese and Tibetan songs I adore. Hot Jazz, Louis Armstrong, Benny Goodman.

J.S. Bach

Has anybody had "deja-vu memories of interest" while listening to J.S. Bach during meditation exercises?

Any specific works of Bach noted?

Marc

Music is definitely a trigger for me...I wish it was even stronger though, like yours. I have a specific song that brings images and scenes to me, and I never get tired of listening to it because the images are never really enough for me... I always wish I could see more, or even get a full memory, but I suppose I should be grateful that I at least have something.

Old music is absolutely a trigger for me - specifically music from the 12th, 14th & 17th centuries. Gregorian chant has triggered flash backs of memory, as well a piece of music from the 16th century. I play & teach music in this life, and have memories of playing the violin in two past lives that I know of...

I remember when I was a kid there were certain songs from the 70s that I was hooked on. If I was in the car with my parents and the song came on the radio I would just get lost in it. If they changed the station or shut the car off before the song was over I would get mad :laugh:

I also remember a few years ago I was watching a movie that was set in the early 70s. During a montage sequence in the movie the song playing was "Take it Easy" by the Eagles. Something very deep moved inside me and I was hit with this incredible feeling of sorrow. I started crying uncontrollably and I had no idea why. Something about the movie and the song awoke a feeling in me and I couldn't hold it back. I was so confused at the time but the only way I could describe it was I felt an incredible sense of loss, like something precious had been taken away from me.

Keep in mind that this episode happened before I ever had any conscious memory of my last life. It all makes sense to me now. I'd never had anything triggered like that inside me before and haven't to that magnitute since.

Yes I love Bach; in particular anything played on harpsichord. It stirs something in me. Once I was sitting relaxed on a couch when a man began playing his modern electronic keyboard in the "harpsichord" mode. The song was from the 1950's but that doesn't matter; I closed my eyes enjoying the sweet sound. I immediately experienced myself as a young girl dressed in a pale pink silk gown of many layers with the topmost layer of lace. I was feeling very happy and excited because I had just become engaged to be married. I looked down at my left hand and there was a diamond ( largish too!) on my ring finger. I arose from my chair and my gown rustled. I was in a parlour with another older woman who I felt was my aunt. There was a cream-coloured enamelled cabinet with glass doors just to my right. I got the impression it was some time in the early 1800's and the decor was fashionably French. .....Phew! then it was back to the present. Yes, music is powerful...

Songs in particular that throw me back:

"Maybe" by the Chantels

"Tell Me You're Coming Back" by the Rolling Stones

"Rock This Joint" by Bill Haley and his Comets

I have to be careful when linking music to past lives because we were exposed to so many different types growing up. My mother loved polkas, my father loved mariachi (and it's amazing how simlar the two sound!), and we'd listen to heavy classical (WAGNER!!!:thumbsup:). I love Bach even if I couldn't put a name to a piece to save my hide. I like country-western, especially Marty Robbins' "San Angelo" and "The Strawberry Roan". "Hillbilly Heaven" is another piece I could listen to for hours. And of course, I am a hard-core rocker girl!

However, if there is one style that stirs my blood like no other, then plug your ears because it's the bagpipes. The first time I ever heard the pipes was at a parade, and it was like a battle-cry to my heart. Something made me stand up and get ready to move out. Move out where I have no idea, but I felt a fire surge through me like none I had ever felt before. I wanted so badly to fall in and follow the band as they marched, heading off to wherever fate was sending us to meet bloody victory or a glorious end. I have no idea what piece they were playing and I never got the opportunity to ask because they soon marched past and I snapped back into myself. Because I know the pipes are an acquired taste for many, I do not blast them from the stereo, but I have been known to spontaneously burst out into "Wild Mountain Thyme"!

Analog/digital sounds -- comparisons.

Hello,

The question here is how sound/music was heard before digitally-produced sound? That is audio was heard as analog (as opposed to a digital) audio frequencies "Yes, there are subtle differences between digitial & analog."

In short, music produced in an earlier-era may be more likely to act as a "trigger of sorts for possible PL memories" if the music is heard in an analog format i.e., records, cassette tapes, 8-Track tapes; as opposed to the common digitally reproduced formats.

There are digital to analog converters on the market; yet I feel that listening to audio on records, cassette tapes, 8-Track tape players would best suffice.

I remember the days when AM radio still had a share of the music broadcast market. I even remember differences amongst car-radios, radios, and stereo receivers at home.

Marc

I think your theory that recorded music heard as it was originally played works better as a memory trigger, has merit. I still own a turntable, and have read that it is "in" among the young to "spin vinyl". I wouldn't call the sound reproduction superior, but it is distinctive.

It is in! I have a turntable myself. I like the sound, personally. It might not be better, but it has a certain character to it.

Marc Ross said:
I remember the days when AM radio still had a share of the music broadcast market. I even remember differences amongst car-radios, radios, and stereo receivers at home.
You could even tell the difference between vacuum tube sets and the new transistor ones. Have you ever heard an old Edison cylinder record? I recorded a friend's set of records from the horn on the machine and digitized his collection for him. If you digitize analog recordings yourself they sound the same as the original. When younger people do it they make it sound "tinny" because they think it's better.

I saw a news clip about a professor having students listen to the same song, played on different forms of sound reproduction. The big stereo sets of the 70's had the best sound, but the students preferred the "tinny" sound that comes from an IPod. I guess it proves that familiarity makes your "tunes" sound sweeter.

A song that has triggered a lot for me, is this one by Adam Hurst:

This song has brought up a variety of different types of memories.

Analog audio and digital audio

Hello,

By any chance, did music from decades past act as a "trigger of sorts" when it was listened to on a record player; that sound heard in an analog format?

Many past-lives were lived when record players (analog audio) were prevalent; hence memories may be evoked by listening to audio in the analog format; as opposed to listening to decades-old recordings in the present-day digital formats!

Thank-you

Swing - The band music popular in 1935 - 1945 - still love it

Another one I love, despite my walking away from religion is the Gregorian Chant. Had to research it, and it did exist in the 10th century. My past life Monk self was in the 13th to 14th, so that chant was around when he was..

Hi Marc Ross,

My husband is a professional who's job is to provoke emotional responses through music. I am interested in past lives, while he is rather agnostic about it all. Anyway, we have had a few discussions about this very thing.

His opinion is that while it is very true that analog and digital are different, the notes and the performance would matter more than the format. The differences in the two formats is rather minimal and only of interest to aficionados. It is a person's interpretation of the sound, their feelings upon hearing the music, that color the whole experience. This concurs with what I have experienced, in that past life memories are primarily an emotional experience and it is a thought or feeling that gives me access to them.

There are a few elements in a recorded format that might make people think, "Hey! That sounds familiar." The scratching sound of the cylinder on a Victrola. The 'pops' and skips on your old records. The 5-6 note entry on your old cassette tapes, but unless you were emotionally invested in your old player (totally possible for a music-lover) you probably would not get much more than a vague feeling of familiarity.

We do think, however, that live music is a whole different animal. Live music is a physical experience, one you can feel resonating in your gut, one you can actively participate in by clapping, shouting, dancing. If one really wants to trigger a response or a past life memory, live music might be the better way to go.

Catchy music from PLs.

Hello,

Has anybody tried listening to "catchy music" that had popularity decades-ago? It seems that "catchy music" may be a good trigger for possible PL memories.

Marc

Back