My 2-yr-old obsessed with past life... Need help

Discussion in 'Children's Past Lives -Age 7 & under' started by sofiajt, Jan 4, 2014.

1. hydrolad

hydrolad Senior Moderator Super Moderator

An OLD Soul in a YOUNG body.

Carol's approach to treating very young children is CORRECT while the research by Dr. Stevenson/Tucker in regards to this approach in treating very young children is WRONG.

The Dr. Stevenson/Tucker research does not approach their patients from a spiritual point of view, but rather from an outmoded secular point of view which does not take into account certain things.

That we, by ALL appearance's are a spiritual being temporarily encased in a mortal body of flesh and bones, whose task is, but one thing, to carry the Soul around so that the Soul can fulfill it's planned purpose thought out before the Soul's acquisition of a new body.

Every now and then we hear someone say "He/She is an old Soul" when looking into the babies eye's and I have certainly found this to be true in the past.

Consciously the child acts, talks and behaves like a child, but sub-consciously the child has a more mature Soul that responds as an Adult might respond to another Adult.

So, IMHO a child will often respond to regression therapy in a positive manner when the sub-conscious mind is addressed in a manner that the conscious mind can correctly and properly access the sub-conscious mind.

Just a personal viewpoint of mine.

2. Carol

Carol Author

Hydrolad,

Drs. Stevenson and Tucker are doing something completely different with these memories. As far as healing goes, they aren't addressing it. I wouldn't say they're wrong, and I'm right. We're just doing two different things with these memories. I am surprised that after all these years, neither of them would acknowledge that there is healing potential in these memories.

There are some excellent past life therapists throughout the U.S. and in Europe I know of who are working with children's memories. Unfortunately, there aren't too many of them.

3. Carol

Carol Author

Sofia,

I thought I'd post this on the public Forum so everyone can read it, since you are getting great support here.

I agree that it will probably be easier for your daughter to release the memories now, if she is able to talk about them freely. Keep reassuring her, maintain some physical contact with her--hugging or massage--while she's talking about it. As I said, use your mother's good intuitive sense and at the right moment, after she's said what she needs to, or cries, or has some physical release (trembling, shivering), assure her that what happened was before, when she was in a different body, and that it will not happen now, and that she is safe.

I think it's a blessing that she is releasing this memory now, as painful as it is for her, and as scary as it is for you to witness. She does need a witness. She needs to tell her story.

Send prayers to her, or guardians, or whatever your belief system is. It can only help.

Take some good deep breaths while she is experiencing it, to help you let go of what she's releasing.

Hang in there, and keep us posted!

Carol

4. sofiajt

sofiajt Sofia

Thanks again to all of you, and particularly Carol, for all your support and help. Otherwise, I think we would be going a bit nuts with this and probably react negatively.

Ok, so yesterday we went to an energy therapist (per Carol´s suggestion and also coincidentally, my cousin had just gone to see her). I think it was a very successful trip. Even though the therapist herself seemed very skeptical about my daughter talking about a past life (she´s never seen a case so young talking about these things), she did tune in on the fact that whatever it is, it was important to deal with it.

(The therapist suggested that my daughter might be dealing with "genetic memories" that passed on in our family. My husband and mother-in-law are both survivors of dirty wars, but my husband insists that nothing that our daughter is talking about specifically rings a bell... I myself rather think that it is true that kids chose their parents. She needed to be heard and we opened up because we recognized immediately what she was talking about. But then again, maybe it´s a mix of both? Who knows...).

Anywho, the therapist suggested several things, from us parents dealing with "ghosts of past", to blessing our house, to ALWAYS staying open to our daughter. So rather than saying, "No, there is no papo here" (that man-men that hurt her-them), acknowledge that you understand she is afraid of el papo but that she doesn´t have to be afraid anymore because we will take care of her, and that she´s left him behind. I mean, I think most importantly she said that at her age saying "no" will only confuse her because she can´t really differentiate reality from "memories" (or past from present, I guess). It is very important to acknowledge her visions, her fear, her pain.

THEN, she said something that I thought was very helpful (it´s amazing how although the therapist never acknowledged my daughter´s past life, she was definitely using her intuition when giving me advice). She said that maybe what I should do is help her tell her story fully, that is, re-tell her what she is telling me but as if in a story book. She said I needed to end the story, because my daughter hadn´t been able to do so... That is, talk about her death. Carol, at this point it really clicked for me! I totally understand I can´t do a regression with her, but maybe I can help her get some closure? I mean, I thought, if she goes in and out of trance anyway, couldn´t I help guide her through it by playing with her? Let me finish the therapy session first...

The therapist then did a reiki session on my daughter, which I´m sorry to say didn´t seem to help (before going to sleep, like every night, she started talking about her past). BUT my daughter really liked it (so I guess it did help). She was really into it and then she was mimicking the therapist and doing reiki on me! So that was fun, at least...

This morning she was NOT doing ok at all... She was constantly talking about her past, scared of the sirens outside (there are a LOT of sirens around here, **** it!) that are coming for her, she said, our landlady knocked on the door and she started crying about el papo, she was telling me her "dress hurt" but she didn´t want to change (she always remembers dogs "eating dresses and legs"... short digression here, I don´t like dresses much, never have, was a bit of a tomboy, so I didn´t buy dresses for my daughter until about 2 months ago when she insisted she wanted to wear the only dress she did have - a present - all the time. And then, a month later, her regression began. Can I call it that? I guess is like she´s in and out of one all the time. Anyhow, all the women in her memories are wearing dresses, which makes us think it´s was an indigenous community).

Gosh, can I just say how MUCH it helps me to write these things here... thanks again for listening, seriously.

5. sofiajt

sofiajt Sofia

(sorry it didn´t take the entire text...)

Ok, so I decided to give her a warm bath in her blue baby tub, she´s too big for it but she loves it. And she has a thing for the color blue which the therapist said it was a good thing and it was ok to encourage it (does anyone know why? i forgot to ask her). She loves baths, but they always trigger her memories. So undoubtedly, she started talking about it again. But this time, I got into it... I grabbed her toys and started retelling her (not with all the gory details) what she´s been telling me. Wow, she loved that! And she started getting into it with me and correcting me, or adding things. And then I got to the part of her death (which she´s never talked about), and I just decided they were all going to die. I said, "Look they all closed their eyes, her mom, (I was talking in the 3rd person), her brother, she did too, and el papo. And look, a white light was surrounding them, and they were finally at peace, and el papo wasn´t angry, he was sad." And all her toys said, "don´t be sad papo, let´s be friends again!"

She was listening... I don´t think she was that convinced, but she really like it when everyone became friends again. And I felt better too, to be honest. I can´t go on with my life having a grudge for a man-men who hurt my daughter in a past life but who no longer exist...

So anyhow, Carol, what do you think? What does your instinct tell you and do you have any suggestions?

One thing is true, acceptance is EVERYTHING (DKing... I´m sorry to hear about your parents, but it is such a scary, painful thing to hear your kid talk like that. To see your kid re-experience it in her head... It´s incredibly stressful). I mean, once we made up our minds my daughter was indeed talking about a past life, we haven´t doubted her. Once we started accepting that we HAD to listen (as painful as it might be), I think things have started flowing... And it is getting less shocking I guess... She did mention el papo in the afternoon several times, so it´s not like she´s over it. I´m sure it´s a process...

Ok, enough for now. Thanks to EVERYONE for all your support and prayers, every bit helps.

much love goes to each of you,

sofia

6. Carol

Carol Author

Sofia,

I'm glad you took your daughter to a healer. She gave you some good advice, even though she wasn't totally on board with past lives.

ALWAYS acknowledge what a child is saying about a past life. Enter their reality and acknowledge what they're saying. That will help keep the flow of memory open so they can express more.

Souls choose or gravitate to a family based on what they need. In your daughter's case, I think because of your husband's and mother-in-law's experiences, you recognized that what she is talking about, and there is natural empathy to her situation. (She chose wisely!) I think that sometimes a soul is drawn to a family because of family patterns--a matching energetic pattern to feelings or experience.

I like your approach of repeating your story to your daughter when she was relaxed in the bath. (Please re-read the "Blake" chapter in my first book. It might help you.) You entered her reality and tweaked it talking about everyone dying. You said she liked it, but wasn't convinced. As I said in my private email to you, which I will now share: I think her memory is so intense, it has to come up gradually, or it would be completely overwhelming. So my suggestion would be to let her tell her story at her own pace. The climax of her story is probably going to be her past life death. I would wait until she gets to that point and see what she says. If she needs help, you might ask her, "What happens then?" I've heard of other children who remembered their traumatic deaths and spontaneously started talking about heaven or the after-life, and then they matter-of-factly say that they came back as a baby. Some kids remember being in the womb. Full circle. That gives them the completion or closure they need. Since this death is so traumatic, she might need your assistance in getting to that point and understanding that she came back to another body, that whatever happened is over. Just see how it plays out. It might get very intense towards the end. There might be a catharsis (an emotional release) she needs.

If your storytelling (or re-scripting) helped her, you'll know by a change in her tone tomorrow, I would imagine. It may work. But if you said she didn't seem convinced, she might need to keep telling her story until she gets to the death.

I wonder if the dress somehow triggered her memory. Anything--even something as insignificant as a dress--can trigger a child's past life memory. Her insistence on wearing the dress could be some kind of re-enactment of that life. Sometimes children will re-enact a past life through their play activities, or dress, or food preferences, or behaviors, etc. I think that the dress has significance in her memory of her past.

This is very interesting. Sofia, you're helping all of us by sharing this.

7. IrisG.

IrisG. Senior Registered

Hydrolod, you can only compare methods with each other if they referred to the same issue. Jim is a scientist at the University of Virginia doing academic research so it is ridiculous to assume Carol's method that aims at treating trauma has the potential to "work" for his goals. Carol, Jim said explicitly your methods worked in the Leininger case (his new book). He emphasizes your role in the case, by the way, in case it might matter to some individuals here on the forum.

8. Cryscat

Cryscat Senior Member

Thank you Sofia, for posting your journey with your daughter. I've been reading, but have not commented until now.

I kinda wish that I had parents like you and your husband and someone like Carol around back when I was a kid and dealing with those night terrors. But that was back in the 1960's and 70's and no one was doing anything like this, back then. I only got to the source of the night terrors in the last few years and now feel comfortable with it.

Keep up the good and loving work with your daughter.

9. Blueheart

Blueheart Senior Member

The forum has a . . .

Blue Light Thread Here

I am a big fan of the color blue, too.

Keep up the good work! No one knows your child the way you do. It sounds like you already know what to do, and when.

10. sofiajt

sofiajt Sofia

My daughter is doing better!

dear friends,

I am happy to report that it´s been like 2 days and 3 nights that my daughter has been doing better. Her therapy session happened on Tuesday and Wednesday PM she had her "last" strong episode in which a work friend reminded her of someone or triggered a memory and she started crying hysterically (she is not someone who cries a lot). Needless to say, I am going to keep her away from this work buddy just in case... Not because I don't want her to remember but who knows...

At nights she has been doing much much better, and has only mentioned el papo a couple times. She is not going through her past life trances anymore.

I was telling Carol in a private email that she even tried to use her "fear'' to manipulate her parents into giving her french fries instead of juice. "Mami, I'm afraid of the juice, I want french fries!" hahaha, oh really? She's done that a couple times already to try to get her way, and we're just loving it.

So, this is not to say ''she's over it'', I'm totally aware of that, but I think this major crisis is behind us... For one thing, at least, I am definitely convinced of past lives.

What helped? I guess everything. Us opening up. Carol's book and counseling. The support of all of you here (thanks again... I don't even dare tellilng my mom or brother, for fear that it will stigmatize her). The reiki session and the story I told her. I think that really did the trick, for now. Some day maybe she'll get back into it and want to talk about her death on her own... I'm going to be ready.

Carol has asked me to write more details of our story here, and I promise to do so soon. I hope it helps other parents.

big hugs all around,

sofia

11. ZeonChar

ZeonChar Senior Member

Thank you so much for updating us on your story. I am really glad that things are turning in the right direction for you and your family. I had good experiences with Reiki healing for healing my past life wounds as well. I wish you all the best.

12. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

We're all glad to hear of her progress, Sofia. Thank you for the update!

13. Mama2HRB

Mama2HRB Senior member Staff Member

Thank you for posting your daughter's experiences. I am very glad you followed Carol's advice and your daughter is on a journey toward healing. I have long believed that what we do should be about healing and helping, that is far more important (at least to me) than any research out there.

There simply is no reason, in my mind, for a child to suffer if we can alleviate it.

I look forward to reading more as your daughter heals. Who knows .. part of her journey may be in helping others as she grows, just as my daughter has done now that she is an adult and with the help of many here is in a good place with her memories and abilities.

A very important thing for me was for my daughter to always know that no matter what I was there for her and I believed her. It is the same, even as an adult living far away ... and as the mother of a reincarnated child of her own ...

((Hugs to you and your family))

14. sofiajt

sofiajt Sofia

New turn of events... Nightmares

Dear Friends,

I hope you don´t mind me writing here while my memories are still with me... I also have a couple of questions.

So, we had a hard time last night with my daughter as she had a really deep episode in which she remembered a lot more details of what happened to her. In general, when she talks about her past life, it is a mix of deep fears and as a witness of what others suffered. But last night she started talking about what happened to her as a torture victim. And with that, her "episodes mood" changed dramatically from being very afraid, to being extremely angry. She´s being angry all morning long (since 5 am).

Now, as someone who has talked to torture survivors (a quick note here, as part of my master´s thesis I collected oral histories of survivors of the war in El Salvador... That´s how I came to hear those stories), I know that anger is definitely a common symptom to all of them... What I´m starting to wonder is how long will it take for my daughter to process all of this. Years? Until she is old enough to get therapy? Will the nightmares continue as an adult? Have some of you had a similar experience?

Together with the nightmares, she´s having pain on her right hand and right leg, where the men hurt her. She has complained of those aches before, but last night she explained what happened (sorry I don´t write any details here... I think there´s no need). After a few hours of this, I tried to explain to her that that happened in another lifetime, that she´s ok and safe with us. Oh, I wasn´t prepared for what came next... She simply screamed at the top of her lungs, "It wasn´t another life!!!!"

Ok, so. Obviously she is too young to understand the difference, and the pain and the dreams are too vivid for her to think otherwise. The last thing I want her to think is that I am not taking her, her anger, and her pain seriously. Finally, right before she collapsed exhausted for her nap, we agreed today that she was going to be an angry baby lion... I mean, she has the right to be angry (as long as she doesn´t hit us, or the cat, which she sometimes do), and she can roar all she wants.

But man, this is so hard... I wish I could "reason" with her but I can´t. I haven´t tried the "storytelling" again, but even if I did I´m not even sure what I would say. I´m at a loss for words and strategies.

peace,

sofia

15. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

This isn't much help but it sounds like there is much more she needs to "get off her chest". Just being able to talk about it may be helping her. Having parents who don't think she is crazy is helpful. So you have been involved with these stories before? Interesting. Maybe that's why she chose you to be her parents. You would understand. Little did you know what you were getting yourself into when you chose that topic for your thesis. Have you ever watched the TV program "Ghost Within My Child"? Your daughter is probably too young but they are getting ready to film season 2 and are asking for new families with children who remember their past lives. Carol is an adviser for the producers of the show.

16. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

I think she's too young and vulnerable to have her case presented on television, but I am not a professional, obviously. I think having her act out her anger as a baby lion is perfect, Sofia. We discuss children's past lives here in theory a lot, but dealing with such a tiny child experiencing such painful memories is sobering. I'm afraid of making a suggestion that would be "wrong", but you have my prayers for your daughter's emotional healing.

17. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Hi Sofia,

I can sympathize with your worry over all of this, especially when you have to witness it first hand with such a young and innocent child. But as difficult as it is, I think you can take some positives out of this latest turn of events. Personally I think processing traumatic past life memories is very similar to dealing with grief, or mourning a loss in our present lives. I'm sure you must be familiar with the 5 stages of loss and grief: Denial and Isolation, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and finally Acceptance. I think your daughter's outburst could be taken as a sign of progress, which indicates that you are doing everything you can to help her through this, which is a good thing right?

I don't think this is something that can be resolved overnight. Continue to be there for your daughter, keep on assuring her that she is safe and loved, and that you are not going to let any harm come her way. Don't be afraid to contact Carol again, she's an expert in all of this, and as always, we are here to support you while you support your daughter. Try not to worry, everything WILL be ok. Better that she is working this out now rather than bottling it up for later. hug2.gif

18. Carol

Carol Author

Sofia,

First of all, I wouldn't recommend contacting the TV people for this. I don't think you're even considering that.

There are no simple or pat answers I can provide as to how long it will take for your daughter to let go of this extremely painful experience. But, I'd have to agree with the others: perhaps your daughter came to you because of your experience with victims of torture. It's beyond coincidence, in my mind. Use what you learned from your interviews about this type of trauma. What are the stages people go through? Fear, anger, acceptance, forgiveness?

It seems that she is moving beyond the fear into anger. Maybe that's progress. I think that you're going to have to hang in there with her and let her express the anger--get it out of her system. I love your idea of letting her be an roaring lion. That's brilliant. Let her roar! Ask her what the lion needs to do--or something like that. Engage her.

I would also massage her legs or parts of her body where she said she was hurt. Use your intuition on this, but give her some comforting words about healing those parts of her body that may have been affected before. Let her know that you take her pain and anger seriously. Tell her directly while she's expressing her feelings. But give her an outlet, as you did with the roaring.

I'm surprised that she was so adamant about her experiences being in this life. She's still really "in" the experience. I think a part of that does have to do with her young age and the intensity of what she is remembering. The good thing is that she has enough verbal skills to let you know what's going on, so you can figure out how to talk to her.

I don't believe that this is something she will have to carry with her for very long. I think she's doing a really good job of expressing the memory of her experience and releasing the emotions. That's the key.

I think she is so into her experience, that the storytelling or using dolls or toys to help her act out the story may have to wait until later, after some of this energy has been released. Your use judgment on this. You may try to "remove her" from the situation, but it doesn't sound as if she's willing to do that. Let her go through the cathartic episodes and then give her the reassurance or stories that distance her from what she's remembering.

Although you may feel helpless because of the raw intensity of her reactions, I feel that your instincts are right. You're coming up with strategies as you go along, and that's all you can do at this point. Be in the moment with her, and know that you can help her.

I really can't be more specific than that without being there.

Keep us posted! And please keep a journal, which will help you and the rest of us understand where she is in the process.

If you would like to call me, email me and we can arrange a time to talk.

19. Carol

Carol Author

I didn't see Chris's post before I submitted mine. But I think we're both in agreement that this is a process, and something you're familiar with from your work. Thank goodness for that!

This is a difficult situation, but I sincerely believe you can help her.

20. Blueheart

Blueheart Senior Member

Is it possible that when she yelled:

What she meant was, that was no way to live? It was wrong, it was no life?

The terrible twos and threes are rough. Their bodies do not do what they want them to. They want to say something, but do not have the words to express it.

If it were me, I would give "reasoning with her" another try. Age appropriate, of course. Kids are a lot more sophisticated than we sometimes give them credit for. They are also amazingly resilient.

Hang in there, mom (and dad). You are doing great.