My son and knowledge of numbers

Discussion in 'Children's Past Lives -Age 7 & under' started by ukmom, Aug 3, 2003.

1. ukmom

ukmom Senior Registered

Hi

Since a very young age (6 months) my son appears to have recognised certain numbers in particular 2. I recall the look of delight on his face when he first saw a number jigsaw at age 6 months (which belonged to his sister)and now at age 21 months he is able to recognise and name numbers 1-10. We haven't pushed him into learning numbers just seems to have a natural lean towards them.

Neither myself or husband or other children had a talent for numbers so young and it doesn't appear a genetic thing could it be a past life talent?

I've had him checked over by a HV as was at one stage worried it maybe an autistic trait and he had no other signs and I must admit he isn't obessed by numbers just seems very good with them!! will happily go off and play like at typical tot.

Wondered if anyone else had noticed similar things in their children?

Although he is saying a few words he isn't a fluent talker yet so hasn't mentioned anything about a past life so far

but thought'd I'd share

J

2. JulieZ

JulieZ ******

HI UKMom!

Your story made me smile because I saw so much of my own son when he was that age - except he was more with words than numbers. Though is good at the numbers, he just prefers words.

Ian is 5 years old now, but for the longest time I was worried he was deaf or that he wouldn't talk. My daughter who is a year older than him was talking much sooner and was much more interactive.

Ian just did a whole bunch of screaming!!!

We were in a Mom and Me class one day, Ian had to be about 3 and Paige was 4. The teacher told me to watch his face. He doesn't say anthing, but look at his eyes, "He's absorbing like a sponge and looks a little bored!"

Around 4 he was spelling words like a pro!!! I'm talking 5 and 6 letter words for a 4 year old! Blew my mind away - Still does for that matter. ;) He plays scrabble, boggle, lingo - all by himself. Just loves to spell!

However, what I have noticed is that although he appears to be WAY above average for his age in reading/spelling/math - He is more immature for his age socially. Does that make sense? So, even though he is about to start Kindergarten this is where he needs to be 'socially'.

Keep us posted as your baby gets older.

Take care,
    Julie

3. manduh

manduh ~I love this place~

Keep us posted! Sounds like a special little person!
    Amanda

4. ukmom

ukmom Senior Registered

Thanks for your responses

Sorry I've taken so long to reply. Very interesting my son is now getting to grips with his alphabet lol, speech is coming along but i'm convinced at times he sounds like he is speaking in french.

Anyway will keep u all posted on his progress

Uk Mom

5. QaHearts

QaHearts Senior Registered

Hi UKMom,

I just wanted to comment on a couple things, first what JulieZ said, because it's so important. She was talking about how her son appeared bored to the instructor.

One of my brothers went through school "labeled" He didn't do anything, hated school, failed and was put into special ed classes. This was the same kid who read the newpaper everyday when he was 4 years old and was more up on political situations than an adult. When he was in junior high a teacher recognized something different in him and she had him tested. He was a genius! The teacher asked him why he acted the way he did in class and why he failed all his test, his reply "That stuff is stupid, I already know all of that. When I do a test, the pattern of my answers usually make a design."

So here was a child who went through 8 years of schooling labelled as "special ed" before someone cared enough to pay attention to him.

I also wanted to tell you about WHY I didn't put my daughter into the gifted class. Becca taught herself to read and write when she was 2. I have no clue how she did this, I didn't teach her. She was under the care of doctors at a childrens hospital and one day we were there when she was writting on the blackboard. She drew a picture of me, her and her brother and then wrote our names underneath our picture. When the doctor came in he was amazed - when I told him she taught herself, he was shocked! He gave me the name of a school he felt she should enroll in.

I checked out the school, but something wasn't right, I felt uneasy. I couldn't see why my baby needed to learn to play the mandolin - what if she didn't like the mandolin? I also didn't like that when she was school aged, she'd go half the day to that school and the other half to her public school. To me, it seemed like that would be singling her out and the kids would make fun of her. But I wanted to do what was best for her, I didn't want to hold her back. I was teetering back and forth until I ran into a woman that happened to be a teacher at that particular school. She said most of the children there are there so their parents could say their child was in that school. She felt it was more beneficial for the child to keep them home so they can be a baby and learn the social skills a baby should learn, but it was very important to always make sure her brain was stimulated... much like JulieZ's son with the word games, which I did. I was going to college at that time and everything I learned, Becca learned along side me. Because it was easier to take telecourses, each semester I'd take 2 telecourses so I wouldn't have to stay so long at school each day. She LOVED those, she watched every course with me.

So, to make a long story short... I know I ramble on and on, but I wanted to impress upon you how important it is to make sure your gifted child's mind is stimulated. Never let it go stagnate. If you find him bored at school or failing something... bump him up. I don't mean in grade, I mean in level of the course he's taking. If the school doesn't offer that, try to enroll him in something outside of school or if at all possible, home school him. He can still participate in the after school activities and learn at his own pace. I home schooled my kids when they were out of elementary school.

Good luck... oh, and one last word. These children tend to be very stubborn and set in their ways. Maybe because they all ready know it all ;)