Nature versus nurture

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Jim78, Nov 1, 2018.

?

Are we mostly nature or mostly nurture or a mixture of both?

1. Nurture

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nature

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Mixture

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I've got to thinking about the various tools that could be employed to help define reincarnation. Things like psychology. Is it possible to profile an individual soul throughout it's various incarnations?

From my observations there seems to be two schools of thought.

The first being that we are completely different people in our various incarnations, opposites in fact. This would indicate that nurture plays a primary role in how our successive personalities develop.

The second is that we are basically the same person throughout our various incarnations, its just that life circumstances and maybe even gender are different. This would seem to indicate that nature plays the primary role in how our personality develops.

I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this?

I myself have a strong opinion on this because nature and predeterminism seems to have played a primary role in my souls journey, my nurturing simply tooled me up to cope with my current life challenges thus was only crucial to my current life's journey, my overarching soul has been defined by a consistent nature, but perhaps other members experiences are different?

fireflydancing likes this.
  2. briski

briski Senior Registered

I think nature has a part to play definitely.

However a child spoilt brat only becomes a spoilt brat if they get everything they want in childhood imo. If the child gets nothing they want or little they not likely to be a spoilt brat. So i believe both have a part to play. Im sure there will be people that disagree

So I went for mix of both

tanker likes this.
  3. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

That's true briski but how does one explain my experiences?

At 21 I was a homeless drug addled drunk. Completely unlike Collins on a surface level in every regard, insecure, paranoid etc. This was partly down to my nurture. Yet by the time I was 35 I was completely like Collins in ever aspect, confidence, psychology, tactics, desires, dreams etc. Really what my earlier misspent youth did for me in the long term was tool me up to fight sociopaths and once I became a secure confident man the only difference between myself and Collins was slang, more casual clothes, more casual sexual attitudes etc. In other words the only real difference between myself and my past life once Jim grew up and grew confident was down to living in a different era....everything else was the same. For me my nature won out over my nurture. That's why I voted for nature.

tanker and AlexD like this.
  4. briski

briski Senior Registered

On your experience you could look at it 2 ways

1. Nature only, as it won outright

2. Nuture affected you maybe it was needed to tigger nature? so in a way a mix again

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  5. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I feel that nurture was completely unnecessary to trigger my nature briski. My fighting nature was always there. I ended up homeless because of my protesting an injustice done to me by ignoring the injustice. The problem was I'd been abusing chemicals since my early teens. That's because Collins didn't have to live with a sociopathic parent...I did. All nurture meant to me was that it took me longer to become the man I was meant to become. What I lacked as a young adult was confidence and maturity as a result of my enduring and escaping defective nurturing.

What triggered my nature in my current life was a strong sense of injustice just as it triggered my nature in my previous life.

tanker likes this.
  6. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

It's an interesting debate, and I'm not sure I have a definitive answer, as I've only had one past life that I remember. I voted for nature, because what I am is there in spite of my nurture. Most of my life I tried to conform to what I was told to be (nurture), and on the surface anyone would have thought I succeeded, but I knew it was only a front. Only now I have no influences left am I fully what I always was. My past nature is in me still. I recognise that man so easily. He was there as a three-year-old, under the radar. I regret it's taken me this long to set him free.

Speedwell and Jim78 like this.
  7. radar mike

radar mike Senior Member

I believe it's this AND that. We are both because we are multidimensional. A portion of us as a personality self is groomed and shaped by our current life experiences and then there is this expanded version of the self that experiences multiple incarnations at the same time and constantly connected to all personality selves. The interconnectedness comes from the expanded version of self to explore new perspectives ,exchange insights & wisdom and remember our true nature. As current life personality we add to that. That's why fitting into any one role seems limiting to inner most being because it's many and one at the same time.

Our consciousness is flexible. And since it's all happening NOW we can expand and contract as consciousness into our many selves governed by the frameworks we have chosen to experience? everything is accessible to us right now depending on the laws of framework , in our case physical reality framework. In this frame work ,depending upon the life theme we have chosen , we can only expand and contract to some extent. I doubt while in the body we can become aware of all incarnations at once although beings like Buddha had such experiences as per legend while in the body. Basically that means he expanded to the version of SELF that was aware of multiple incarnations at once in the same now moment.

Can we wrap our heads around the concept that it's all happening in the NOW AND new perspectives ,new ways of experiencing life are created at the same time? It's paradoxical but anything is possible ,it's even perhaps beyond our ability to comprehend while in the body.

So yes as personalities we are different people from our other incarnations and interconnected by the version of our SELF that is all of them at the same time. It's like in one single lifetime we are 5 year old, 30 year old, 50 year old self that has different minds as per different stages of growth but we hold them all as one person. We are both. Nature and nurture.

8. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Hi tanker.

That's exactly how I feel. I am what I am in spite of my nurture. Unlike you though I didn't conform. I was a natural rebel. Many elements of Collins were within me from the outset. What nurture did was dislodge and weaken my confidence in myself, yet even then I was confident in conflict, speaking my mind to police and judges. My nature always punched through but the true flowering of it didn't occurred until I'd gotten over my nurture and become a mature man.

briski and tanker like this.
  9. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

Well done for rebelling, Jim! I guess I learned to take orders in the past life, and was still doing it into the next. Plus ca change ...

briski likes this.
  10. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Hi radar mike.

So are you saying that the cumulative effects of all of our many lives nurturing is the path we take to become at peace with our nature?

11. radar mike

radar mike Senior Member

To remember ,to know ourselves through physical reality framework. The whole point is to rediscover via self realization our knowing of our self through experiences in physical reality. We do that by contrast, by forgetting, by amnesia , by using duality to reach for unity.

It's like seeing yourself from new angles ,knowing yourself from new lenses. In every birth. The difference between knowing and realisation in the physical reality is like , actually tasting the sweetness of candy by savoring it in the mouth as opposed to just knowing what sweet taste like. I don't know if this good analogy , basically what I am struggling to express is and what I believe is, we as spirits know our true nature and we wondered how would it feel to know our true nature as physical beings? So we chose to forget and be born , to rediscover , remember and realize in this unique frame work called physical reality our true nature , through many incarnations and through the idea of time.

fireflydancing likes this.
  12. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

Yes, briski, I puzzled over this. I once knew an 11-year-old spoilt brat, who had been 'unspoilt' by her parents and turned into a delightful child. Which was her true nature? Or didn't she have one?

briski likes this.
  13. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Oh I could take orders tanker. I just had zero tolerance for police that punched me and Judges that tried to intimidate me. If the cause was just I took orders, the rest of the time authority got a two fingered salute.

tanker likes this.
  14. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

So are you saying then that its all about overcoming our nurture and embracing out true nature radar mike?

radar mike and briski like this.
  15. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

Ha! Try doing that in the German Army ... You'd soon have another past life.

edit. ps - that was supposed to be a joke!

16. briski

briski Senior Registered

Sorry to step in there, but reading that just seemed to click with me. I think this might be right for everyone

tanker, radar mike and Jim78 like this.
  17. radar mike

radar mike Senior Member

Not only Overcoming the limitations of nurture but also integrating wisdom that nurture of this unique lifetime provides to remember our true nature 'while in the body's to the best of our capacity. What's the point of life? It's the Value fulfillment where we feel complete, whole, not split or fragmented. The value fulfillment comes from being true to ourselves and that will help us remember our true nature while in the body. Nurture can help us show who we are and what we are not . Integration is the key word here , more so than overcoming.

We as BEINGS can be both human and spirit , we are this and that. Same being and different personalities at the same time. While in the body we need not remember being others but if it's relevant to this life's theme then we can.

KenJ likes this.
  18. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

That's one of the reasons Germany lost the war tanker. Lack of freedom for innovative thinking. Fighting on more than one front.

I stood on a lot of toes as Collins its true though.

Also, don't forget I did have another past life after Tone for giving the British a two fingered salute. ;)

tanker likes this.
  19. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I dunno radar mike. When the powerful threatened me straight away I said "Your supposed to be a public servant ye little shyte ye. Elected by the people for the people....well....I AM the people and I'm telling you now! Pick up your rattle and get back in your pram!" I then used all the strategies I'd formulated to grab him. Then I went back to humour and winking. There are many times I look back on my life and I realise that not only am I the same being, I'm also basically the same personality.

radar mike and tanker like this.
  20. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

Exactly. Having said that, the individual German soldier was allowed, and trained for, innovative thinking on the batllefield, becoming very adaptable very fast. That's one of the reasons he was so successful to start with. But fighting on the Russian front was his master's big mistake. Obedience was very reluctant, then.