Nature versus nurture

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Jim78, Nov 1, 2018.

?

Are we mostly nature or mostly nurture or a mixture of both?

1. Nurture

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nature

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Mixture

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. briski

briski Senior Registered

Yeah i think the consciousness makes you simliar in that way, more than we realise from our previous lives. I do believe that the conciousness shifts over to the vessel, and normally doesnt download previous lives to the new brain..however sometimes it does and sometimes it does it a lot later in life. No idea why it does it sometimes

radar mike likes this.
  2. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Yea well. Hitler wasn't the most stable of men. Did you ever see the film Downfall? Its an excellent portrayal I think tanker.

I can relate. I was forced into a compromise in my last life by my superior.

3. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Yea briski. But I behaved like that before I knew about reincarnation. Its just looking over my life I can see times when I was no different from my previous life.

briski likes this.
  4. radar mike

radar mike Senior Member

I understand your question is coming from believing that you are the next life of Collins as if you are progressing in time. But i believe in simultaneous nature of existence and as per that , I feel we are interconnected by similiar personality traits with our other incarnations and we remember whatever is relevant for this life time. It's just my way of looking at things.

Do you think Collins had the same realizations that you are having about war or other topics that make you unique as Jim? You as Jim is remembering Collins and you have realized somethings which Collins hasnt in his lifetime. You are the same soul or oversoul but you are Jim and he is Collins , different as people. You are born to different family ,have different parents, you get technologies in this time which he didnt have access to . There is no other you as 'Jim's in this lifetime , even your parallel selves are slightly different than you , you are different personality than Collins as Jim, although you share personality traits because on a deeper level you are both. As a oversoul you are both Jim and Collins at the same time interconnected by certain personality traits. I think ultimately it comes down to the question that each of us can ask ' WHO am I?' Is it a single rigid identity? or can we expand and contract as consciousness?

If you believe that the time as a linear experience is the only reality then I can see how being the same personality that has progressed to another life with new insights and knowledge makes sense to you. But the question is, is time linear?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    tanker and KenJ like this.
  5. briski

briski Senior Registered

I think thats what happens really if you know about reincarnation or not. Your conciousness/soul/spirit is you its not going to change that much i think, so yeah thats nature

tanker and Jim78 like this.
  6. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

You see radar mike...I can't say my life is running simultaneous to Collins. Linear time must have some spiritual meaning since we come here to partly experience its passage and progression.

As Jim I've learned things about the nature of conflict that I didn't know as Collins. In much the same manner that homeless young Jim hadn't yet learned to restore his confidence yet 35 year old Jim had. There seems to be a progression of learning through each life just as a child learns as they get older.

I look different and have a different accent to Collins but in many respects I am the same. I'm just an older, wiser more wary version of him living in the modern world. I'm the same soul in a different suit.

briski and radar mike like this.
  7. radar mike

radar mike Senior Member

Downloads are based on the 'relevance to the current life's theme, perhaps? What's not relevant is not downloaded

tanker and briski like this.
  8. radar mike

radar mike Senior Member

I hear you. I can understand your perspective.

briski likes this.
  9. briski

briski Senior Registered

Yeah I reckon so, i think trauma as well allows download

tanker and radar mike like this.
  10. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I think nature and predestination allows downloads as well. I doubt very much I would have gained past life memories if I wasn't so stubborn and aggressive.

briski likes this.
  11. briski

briski Senior Registered

Yeah true

12. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

We live and learn, hopefully.

briski likes this.
  13. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

I don't think any of us can answer that, radar mike. But it's an interesting point.

14. There and back again

There and back again Senior Member

For better or for worse we're all different in many ways which is one reason why everyone keeps coming back and not everyone's struggle is like yours. Some make quick work while others need much more time yet for others still they come here not because karma or some other factors keeps them here but to do a job whatever that may be. Not everyone is cut from the same block were everyone is the same so each their own faults and struggles. Not hard to think these sort of things through unless set in stone or only in the box type of thinker.

tanker likes this.
  15. There and back again

There and back again Senior Member

Linear time is for simplicity but it is not all there is, go outside the box for a while and you will see however hard it is to process let alone accept though the mechanics of how that all works is probably more than our minds can fully grasp.

tanker likes this.
  16. AlexD

AlexD aka Shadow

I'm aware that the perception of time outside of physical reality is different. I can't throw away the concept of causality because of that. I don't know about other members, but my remembered lives were linked together as in a progression, a destiny like a chain of karmic knots, self fulfilling prophecies, repeats and resolutions. A destiny from which I could learn something from my progression of experiences and from which I am still learning at the present time. My past life traumas were just the beginning of it all, yet to experience those I had to have a past in this reality, for them to have a meaning, the rest was a complex chain of actions and reactions.

I think the big philosophical divide is rather between those who tend to see existence as a progression, a chainlike destiny, or as infinite possibilities simultanously, without a chronological order. In my opinion the question is not "linear time" or "non linear time", it's "learning" or "experiencing". It seems to me that those seeing lives as a linear progression conceive the goal of existence as that of learning, while those not resonating with the concept of linear progression see it more as a matter of experiencing, that is making as many different experiences as possible.

For me having past life memories led me to resonate to linear progression and see a destiny in my existence. But I'd be curious to know about those who resonate with a different point of view, especially how they relate to their past life memories (if they have any).

Jim78 and tanker like this.
  17. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Hi There and back again.

I'm aware there's more to time than linear time on the other side of the veil. My own past life memories feel more like windows into another time than actual memories. In that sense time runs concurrently in my opinion.

Yet we exist on the Earth plane in a realm of progression through time, entropy, learning from childhood to old age, learning from one life to the next etc...

If time has no meaning to spiritual progression then why do we experience it? Why do we even bother coming here if all outcomes and events play out concurrently? What's the point?

briski likes this.
  18. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Hi Alex.

Like you I HAD to have had a past to be the person that I am today. That has been true of me since childhood and also true of me throughout my various lives.

I don't believe we are here merely to experience. On the other side of the veil I believe that all thought becomes manifest. So we can experience anything we want to experience in any way we want to experience it on the other side. What the other side doesn't give us is progression, mystery and decay. We get that on Earth. Earth being a mere experience is pointless in my opinion because we can get that instantly on the other side. Earth being a progression through linear time towards death and decay only to be reborn makes much more sense as being a learning tool. A progression our souls don't get on the other side of the veil...unlike experience which is abundant on the other side.

I'm curious to know how people who believe linear time is meaningless reconcile that with past life memories myself.

19. fireflydancing

fireflydancing just a fly in the sky Staff Member Super Moderator

Interesting topic. My first year Psychology (major) at the university was dedicated to nature vs. nurture concerning intelligence. Ofcourse the general conclusion at the end of the year would be: both or mixture. I remember reading about identical twins that were raised apart. They were favorite subjects to study.
    The nature vs. nurture discussion around character adds spice for thought.
    I haven’t thought about this till now. I know I’ve seen people change profoundly during their lives. I’ve also seen the effects of trauma on people. It’s not easy to discern between nature and nurture. Especially because: what person really knows his/her character whithout the influence of nurture?
    It’s not enough to remember a former life, because during that former life, the environment and upbringing also must have played a role in character. You might come to the conclusion that you just simply pick up where you left your evolution the last time you were around on Earth.
    I am also interested in Astrology. What intrigues me are the missing characteristics. When according to your chart, you should have some characteristics, but they aren’t in me. Did I ‘master’ these ‘problems’ in former lives already? Fascinating to me. According to my friend who is (a real) astrologer, your birtchart IS you, but only at birth. To her, character is always on the move towards transformation.
    I still don’t know what to think. Sometimes I think: character=ego=the sum of you earthly experiences.
    Sometimes I doubt these thoughts.

I do have a lot of memories of different former lives. But there is only one life of which I have some insight in character and it keeps amazing me how much we are alike in the core. And not the same.

tanker and inhaltslos like this.
  20. Speedwell

Speedwell Senior Registered

Sometimes I feel blessed - my childhood, though not idyllic - we were quite poor, even relative to others in the same community - but my upbringing often seemed to have a very light touch. I counted myself as a dreamer, my schoolteachers would often interrupt me during times when I was staring into space rather than paying attention, and in many ways I feel the 'nurture' aspect was quite often a case of just letting me be myself.

But as an adult, I experienced the full force of unlocking virtually a whole personality from a past lifetime, which 'warts and all' became intertwined with who I am. I know in that respect, that most of who I am feels very much like a continued existence, and much of who I am is neither nature nor nurture, but simply a direct consequence of choices I made, some in this life, and many more over the lives before.

Carloloner, fireflydancing and tanker like this.