New Member Introductions - March 2011

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Spirit_Wanderer, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Spirit_Wanderer

Spirit_Wanderer New Member

I decided to do some research on reincarnation today as I've had several dreams that appear to be past life memories, and lately I have been thinking a LOT about what happens after death and trying to find the meaning of all of this (and why we have to feel so confused and why we can't know everything from birth, etc. etc.).

I came across Carol's name when looking at the Leininger case. I also read about Stevenson and some of his cases in India, etc.

I guess I'll maybe post about some of my dreams and "waking" impressions of PL in the other forums. I'm 37, female, and very intrigued by reincarnation, psychic phenomena, the unknown, and even the possiblity of "alien" life (but I see that is a no-no topic here, so I'll just leave it at that).

Glad to be here :thumbsup:

2. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Spirit Wanderer, I'm glad you found us. Feel free to join in with your thoughts and experiences when you feel ready. Until then - happy reading! :)

Chris

3. kmatjhwy

kmatjhwy Senior Member Staff Member

Spirit Wanderer, Hi There and welcome to the Forum! Am glad

that you are here now and looking forward to what you have

to share with us here. Wishing You the Best!

4. Merlin

Merlin New Member

Welcome Spirit Wanderer,

I'm sure the information available within the forum will be very capable of fueling your thirst for knowledge.

Regards

Merlin

5. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

Hello Spiritwanderer and a warm welcome!

I hope you will enjoy the space :D

6. Shiftkitty

Shiftkitty Registered User

Hello

New member here. I grew up with the idea of reincarnation and believe in it, although it would not affect me if it was proven one way or the other. I approach the subject with one hand open and the other rested firmly on my sword of skepticism.

I have had experiences with reincarnation both pertaining to myself and to others. I believe I can identify a few of my past lives, and one almost by name. I did, however, spend some time dismissing the whole thing as I realized things I was being told by my family were little more than "wish-fulfillment". (Apparently my father believed I was the reincarnation of his much-beloved and much-missed grandmother based on one small incident that has far more mundane roots.) I have never, however, been able to genuinely shake the belief that this go-round simply is not all there is.

I hope my skepticism, and sometimes irreverence, on many counts isn't too off-putting. I've met some people who were desperately clinging to fantasies while deluding themselves and others, and these encounters have soured me somewhat. I will try to not be confrontational, and hopefully I can choose my words and actions more wisely than I have in the past (both in this life and others).

7. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Welcome to the forum shiftkitty!

I hear ya, and I like your sense of balance between believing, experience. I look forward to your posts, and hearing of your experiences.

8. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Hello Shiftkitty, welcome to the forum.

We welcome skepticism here within reason. There's nothing wrong with a healthy debate, and it's good to question these things. We all have our own experiences, but none of us can claim to have all of the answers, which is one of the reasons why we keep coming back to this forum, to discuss our personal beliefs, experiences and theories. I look forward to reading yours - if you don't mind sharing that is. :)

Hope you enjoy your time here.

Chris.

9. Shiftkitty

Thanks for the welcome, guys! I differentiate skepticism from simply pooh-poohing something. I have no way of knowing what's going on in someone's mind, so I can't tell someone that their feelings or memories are false or misinterpretted, but I do try to look for mundane explanations first.

For example, I absolutely love Neuschwanstein, the fairy-tale palace built by King Ludwig II of Bavaria. When I saw a poster of it several years ago, I had to have it. I felt like I knew the place inside and out. This, combined with a strong like for the music of Wagner led some of my more enthusiastic friends to convince me to explore the possibility of having been Ludwig II. (Sure, famous people get reincarnated too!). What I found out instead was that a) I like any music that sounds like it can shake the walls down, and b) Neuschwanstein was the setting for "Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang", a movie I love from my childhood.

However, there are some incidents and whatnot that still defy mundane sources. A gallow's tree, for example, makes my blood run cold, as do the barred wagons that they used to transport prisoners in. Sure, who wouldn't get the willies looking at an execution device? Well, guillotines don't affect me, nor do scenes of firing squads, gas chambers, electric chairs, or any other such things. Heck, a simple noose hanging from a tree doesn't phase me. But a built scaffold, like you'd draw in a game of "Hangman", I will shrink from. I've seen them as props in local plays, stage shows of all sorts, movies and TV, and all I want to do is put as much distance between me and the gallows as possible. Even the very word "hangman" elicits some feelings of apprehension.

The answer should be obvious; I died by hanging. But why can I not "feel" any other details? It's like my entire being is focused on that cursed gallows. It's kind of frustrating.

Sigh! Searching... searching... always searching!

10. kmatjhwy

Shiftkitty, Hi There and Welcome to the Forum! it looks like you have already been sharing a bunch.

Great! Looking forward to all that you have to share. Wishing You the Best!

11. dr_what

dr_what New Member

New Member Introductions - March 2011

I've been a lurker for a couple months, just reading everyone's posts and stuff. i've been interested in reincarnation / past lives for a few years now, since i met the Dalai Lama when i was in college about, wow, 10 years ago! i've had clues from my childhood and stuff, and had a VERY vivid dream a few months ago that spurred the interest in the subject for me again.

i never know what to say in these intro things, but hi :)

12. Shiftkitty

Hi back at ya! I grew up with reincarntion being accepted in my family, but my own experiences with people who are too ready to ascribe things to past lives has left me with a healthy amount of skepticism. I'm not a disbeliever, I just don't reach for reincarnation as the first choice for strange images. If I chime in and sound like I'm not buying your story, I'm just trying to eliminate mundane explanations.

13. dr_what

dr_what New Member

i'm the exact same way :thumbsup: i've met so many Cleopatras and Abe Lincolns, it's left me with a healthy bit of skepticism when it comes to the subject of reincarnation

14. hydrolad

hydrolad Senior Moderator Super Moderator

No problem at all, a lot of people become tongue tied when introducing themselves.

So welcome to the Past Life Forum and feel free to continue exploring, if the posts don't answer your questions, then someone on the Forum will.

Just in case you have any more vivid dreams, you might consider keeping a Dream Log, i.e.: a notebook to keep a recollection of your dreams, or even a small cassette recorder by your bedside, soon a pattern may develop in your dreams.

Good luck with your interest in Reincarnation!

15. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Welcome Dr What. I'm glad you found us and look forward to reading more from you.

Tinkerman

16. hydrolad

hydrolad Senior Moderator Super Moderator

An Archetype masquerading as a Past Life?

Good point you brought up about Past Lives and the initial skepticism of many.

I would be suspicious of myself if I started dreaming about, say, being Lincoln or someone similar, for a Past Life (PL).

I would think that my subconscious was playing games with my conscious mind again.

When it gets bored, it likes to do that, so that's why I like to keep it busy. :laugh:

The only two PL's I can really remember, and the remembrance started as a child in my dreams, was some average WWII RAF pilot, shot down over the channel in sight of the White Cliffs of Dover (that was the recurring dream).

And a very vivid, also recurring dream, of dying as a little boy, killed by a large animal of some type, however in retrospect, this could have been an Archetype for something occurring at the time, perhaps a feeling of being consumed by something?

So who knows, any thoughts anyone, on the possibility of an Archetype masquerading as a Past Life?

17. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

Hiya dr_what and welcome to the forum :)

I hope you enjoy the forum and will feel like sharing some of the stuff you've experienced (no pressure!) :thumbsup:

Me too! When dealing with a sensitive and controversial subject as reincarnation it's important to keep your feet on the ground and not get too carried away :)

Hydrolad, you bring up an interesting point! I haven't thought about archetypes for ages -- gotta do some reading and I'll get back to you :D

18. kmatjhwy

Dr What, Hi There and Welcome to the Forum! goood to have you here among us now and looking forward to what you have to share with us.

Having a good deal of skepticism is healthy in my opinions even though I have been a big believer in reincarnation since I was little. Now for myself, many of my past life memories and thoughts that I might have, I put them on a shelf so to speak and let them sit for a good long time. And in that way it seems to help to shift out lots of the nonsense so to speak.

Have a Great Day and Wishing You the Best!

19. dr_what

dr_what New Member

thank you so much everyone :) this forum seems pretty cool, and i love reading about everyone's experiences too. the whole subject fascinates me

20. dr_what

dr_what New Member

your PL as an RAF pilot is pretty interesting. my husband's grandfather was a RAF pilot in WW2 and was shot down, but he didnt die til 2004, tho.

the Archetype masquerading as a PL seems like a pretty interesting concept. my younger brother had a very vivid dream along the same lines only with a black wolf that was in a recurring dream, and still is. i'll have to look more into that.