Not finding any evidence of a past life

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Sarah Jane, Jan 24, 2014.

1. SeekerOfKnowledge

SeekerOfKnowledge Learner

I do not think this sounds weird or far-fetched, not at all. And the amount of details you remember is amazing (for some of my lives I don't even remember my own name...).
    I understand how frustrating it must be, not being able to verify anything.
    I really hope someone who doesn't live too far from Portland will read your thread, because they could go and check graveyards. My best wishes that you may remember the name of the street where you lived, this would be very helpful.
    I do not have the means to just go to the US either or to pay a fortune for research, so I understand your problem. But 20 years, oh my... I really hope you will find your past life.
    Didn't know it was that hard to find a person when you have the full name and the town where they lived...

2. Sarah Jane

Sarah Jane New Member

Thank you for the support in saying it doesn’t sound weird :) It means a lot to me. The fact that I got so many details spontaneously, without trying to, is what makes me doubt their validity. I was also sure it would be relatively easy to find proof of these people’s existence if I knew so much. That is another factor that makes me doubt myself - I should have found at least something by now. It’s strange that I can’t recall the street name. That would be one of the most helpful details, indeed.

Like you, for most of my other past lives I don’t have that much information, either; sometimes not even my name. But this one is different, maybe because it’s so recent and was so emotional for me.

I wish I could know/remember what my gravestone looked like and what exactly was written on it. I believe I was buried according to my parents’ wishes (and I vaguely remember floating high above everything after my death, and seeing my own funeral - it was a rainy day, people stood with black umbrellas). My husband, however, was cremated according to his own wishes, so there was no gravestone.

Yes, it’s a problem to do a proper research with limited resources… But I still remain hopeful that I will find someone or something. Thanks again! :)

3. SeekerOfKnowledge

The accident probably was mentioned in a local newspaper. They should have something in their archives. Hard to find out without searching the archives yourself, probably... they won't have the time to search an article from 1970 for free for you.

The police will have something in their archives, but I do not know it if would possible at all to get information, probably not.

Have you married in a church? Have you been a member of a community? Maybe in the U.S. it is similar to Europe, that churches sometimes keep info, about everyone who was baptized, married or died, at least. And they sometimes are less bureaucratic and more willing to help than offices. From what I have heard, that is. But you probably have thought of emailing or writing letters to churches already. You probably would have to use a white lie anyway, like your PL self was somehow related to you (which is not really a lie). Did your brother Henry have children?

4. Sarah Jane

Sarah Jane New Member

Yes, it is unlikely that any archives will agree to perform a search for free… And police archives are secret and not open to the public, as far as I know.

The strangest thing of all, and one that I struggle with, is that I have almost no recollection of our wedding day, but I am sure there was a wedding. It was not in a church, since my husband was from a Catholic family, and my family was all Protestant, so it took place in a registry office.

We were not members of any community, to the best of my knowledge. I did think of writing e-mails to churches, but I never gathered the courage to do so, since I don’t know how to present myself, what to write exactly and how to address them.

My brother Henry most likely did have children, but my relationship with him was really bad, so after he moved abroad (I think it might have been to Mexico, since this is what comes to mind when thinking about it) we never visited each other and did not keep in touch, so I don’t know the names of his children.

5. SeekerOfKnowledge

You won't write an email to a church and say that you are trying to verify a past life, or course... which is why I wondered if it was possible to say that you are related to your PL family somehow (something like great niece or second grade cousin or what ever, you may even say that you don't know exactly) and would like to have their exact B-days, wedding dates and death days for a complete ancestry chart.

Would be a lie, but not too far from the truth, as you *are* related to these people. And you still could make an ancestry chart for your PL family to turn the lie into truth.
    In your case, the "fangirl", "hobby historian", "writing a novel" or "writing an essay" approaches won't work, unfortunately, as no famous people or famous events are involved.
    It's bad that you can't say the truth, but it is as things are. It is possible that one or the other person working in an archive does believe in reincarnation, but you never know.

For my possible last life, I only have a first name and the unusual first name of a friend (which also could have been a nickname), no city, no exact birthday or death day. And I won't register to a war veteran forum just to research a possible PL, when I am not even entirely sure. I respect these people too much for that, and also relatives who lost a loved one.
    I also have no idea what excuse I would come up with. I am too old to be a student. "Hobby historian wanting to write a novel" might work here, but I am still reluctant.

So you see, I understand your problem.

fireflydancing likes this.
  6. Sarah Jane

Sarah Jane New Member

I think in my case it will look very suspicious anyway, no matter what explanation I might come up with, because my current last name is absolutely different from my past one, and I live in a different country (not even an English-speaking one). It would be very hard to believe that I could have any relatives or ancestors in Portland. That is why I hesitate. Maybe it would be easier if the people and events were famous, because it would seem much more natural for a stranger to be interested in their biographies and want to find more information about them. For obscure people this always raises suspicion. However, I will consider writing to churches; will have that in mind as a last option.

I also totally relate to your problem about finding your past life, especially when you have less detail. And I understand your reluctance to come up with various excuses on the war veteran forum. The “historian wanting to write a novel” is a good and logical explanation, though. Many people would want to write about war heroes, as well as to read about them.

7. SeekerOfKnowledge

I see. Your last name wouldn't be such a problem, as women often take on the name of their husband, even today. But they might know all the relatives, so not such a great idea anyway. And being from a non-English speaking country would raise suspicion indeed. It is as you say: being interested in the story of a non-famous person would raise more questions than being interested in the biography of a celebrity, especially when it is someone from a totally different country.
    Can't think of anything you haven't tried yet. I don't know what country you are from, but German google does not find a thing (it can be different in different countries what you get I think).
    Have you tried geneanet yet? I only ask because I might register anyway, as there is some historical information I am interested in and I would like to contact the person who put it there. I don't know if it is different in different countries. But when I register anyway (not entirely sure yet), I could search all the names you listed (won't go and ask around, though).

Not only about war heroes, but many would want to write stories taking part during a war.

8. KenJ

KenJ Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

I see no reason to think that being from a non-english speaking country would be a problem since people do migrate to different countries plus your english is no different than mine. I'm not into ancestry but the wife of a cousin is so I'm aware of the availability of many services and sources in doing such search as she sends me links which unfortunately I cannot generate much interest in for some reason. I would see no reason not to ask for information as long as you did not impose a hardship upon them financially or extreme difficulty.

9. fireflydancing

fireflydancing just a fly in the sky Staff Member Super Moderator

Sarah Jane,
    Just start writing letters (by e-mail ).
    Don’t worry about suspicions. It is not a criminal act to ask information from genealogies. It happens all the time and I guess those records are open to the public in the US too.
    My mother used to do this as an obsessive hobby. Like Ken, I was never interested in all those ancesters. My mom just went to archives and sat there for hours. Nobody, nobody ever asked her if she was really related to all the names she was looking for. Because that’s not important. Often people who gather in archives help each other because they all love to puzzle.
    Perhaps they charge some money if you are not there in person but if it would be the confirmation of your memories, I think that small price would be worth it.

10. Sarah Jane

Sarah Jane New Member

SeekerOfKnowledge, thank you for your interest in my thread and for the helpful suggestions, I really appreciate it!

I am from Russia, but I search Google with international settings, which gives all the possible results globally, in all languages.

I tried the free search on Geneanet, and, once again, with no results. There are more options for premium members, but I am so unsure of my information at this point that I don’t want to be very disappointed and frustrated if I pay for membership and still come up with absolutely nothing.

It is so kind of you to offer doing a search on all the names for me, if you decide to register there; of course I would be most grateful for any possible findings, as long as it doesn’t take too much of your time and efforts!

Yes, war is always a topic that people are interested in, as it influenced so many, especially those who fought in wars or lost a loved one in them. In all my past lives I don’t remember ever fighting in battles or being a soldier, so I can’t imagine what it must be like for those who were there.

KenJ, thank you for the compliment on my English, I actually use Google translator all the time to find the right words, but my grammar and syntax still show that I am not a native speaker :).

I will look for e-mail addresses where I can write, perhaps someone will agree to help me with the search.

fireflydancing, yes, I think the only option for me at this point is to start asking for information by e-mail.

If it is such a common hobby to search archives, and nobody asked your mother why she did it, hopefully I will not be asked questions about my relation to these people.

Thanks so much to all of you for your help!

11. SeekerOfKnowledge

I meant free membership, not premium. To be able to log in and use all free functions. Without an account, I get the message that I must be logged in to continue after having seen a few pages, and I cannot contact members. Somebody has added family trees of historical figures, and I would like to know where they got their information.

I also seem to remember somebody with a very unusual first name from the 1960's ("Socrates", really unsual for someone who doesn't have Greek roots), and I found out that there *are* people with that first name and an English last name for about the time period. Which should be enough for now.

In the German and international geneanet I got no result for your name for graveyards in Portland, but this only means that your PL is not in the database. The database only contains what members have added, of course...
    Just thought, if I create a free account anyway, it won't be too much effort to do searches for other people, too from time to time. But as it looks, I won't get any results different from yours.
    Just thought there might be a way how I could be of help...

12. fireflydancing

fireflydancing just a fly in the sky Staff Member Super Moderator

Whenever you’ll get a question, just say you promised the great-aunt of your husband to find out about some distant familie members. Just as hobby. They will understand.

13. Sarah Jane

Sarah Jane New Member

Oh, I see, I thought you meant the premium membership, which is quite expensive. I am already registered there with a free account, but it didn’t help me so far, since most of the results are only available for full viewing to premium members, and free search is limited to first and last names, places and years (and I didn’t find anything that matched all of the criteria).

However, in your case it might be very helpful to register, because you have a specific person you want to contact, and I suppose a free account does give you that option.

Socrates is a very unusual name, indeed! I have never heard of anyone non-Greek who would be called that. So it does increase your chances of finding information about that person, even without much additional detail. Especially since you were already able to verify that there are several people with that name, it’s definitely proof in itself.

If the database only consists of what members have added, then there are very few chances that any relative or descendant of those people I remember would have added information there. I just can’t think of anyone who might have done that; I can be wrong, of course.

Oh, and you have already helped me a lot just by replying to this thread, so I am very thankful! :)

Thanks for the suggestion, I might try that. Seems like quite a plausible explanation to me, just hoping that others will buy into that, as well :).

14. Graham76man

Graham76man Senior Member

In the UK most records have a 100 year embargo on them. So for example you can only see certain Census records. Some Family History sites are now offering the 1939 survey. But any living people are excluded. Though you can ask for them to be revealed, presumably only to family members only. Which will not help with reincarnation research. All though Family History sites are expensive you can pay for small chunks of information in one off small payments, often called credits.

Sarah Jane and fireflydancing like this.