Not political...personal

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Jim78, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Its hard to avoid political talk considering my current and past lives but I just want you all to know that the Irish Civil War has finally been healed. It has burdened me for years.

Fianna Fail and Fine Gael have entered an historic coalition this week. They had their roots in the split that occurred between Anti Treaty and Pro Treaty factions that caused the Irish Civil War in 1922. A war I died in on the Pro Treaty side.

That means that the current Irish government contains the original Sinn Fein that was elected to the First Dail ( Parliament ) in 1919 before the Civil War split them and they are currently being supported by the Green Party too.

Seeing it happen has brought tears to my eyes. The true functioning Republic I envisioned in my immediate past life is one more step closer to being realised.

The Civil War has been healed, my comrades and those of my opponents can now rest and our children can look forward to a brighter future, something I myself pushed for in 2013 and in the early twentieth century.

They are talking about it all now on the news and its hard for me to write through the tears.

I hope the mods realise this is very personal to me considering I was Commander In Chief of the Pro Treaty Free State Army.

A century old wound has been healed. I'm so proud to be a patriot today.

Thank you all.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Speedwell, SeaAndSky and inhaltslos like this.
  2. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Just to give other members context.

The impetus of this new grand coalition was to keep the modern Sinn Fein out of office. In my opinion and based on their use of my tactics during the troubles they were murderers and judging by my life dealings with the IRA in my current life I would be killed for outing them so they retain political traction that the IRA is disbanded. ( Don't worry about me, apparently letters upon my death to the right people are more terrifying to the Provo's than a bullet ), some soldiers....pffft.

My point of this post is that the evils of the modern political structure has resulted in a grand coalition of historically opposed parties.

They've played politics for nearly 100 years and were left with no choice but to reconcile.

That's EXACTLY what I planned in 1921.

The reason this topic isn't political is because it talks to my own soul. The frustration I felt during the Civil War, fighting for a treaty I didn't believe in but that I knew would eventually give us the power to win a Republic, the sheer frustration of trying to convince others of how I saw it...has been justified.

In this case the snake didn't eat its own tail, it came back on itself and saw the light.

It only took a century
    Small change in reincarnation terms...but feck me....has it been exhausting.

SeaAndSky and Eva1942 like this.
  3. Eva1942

Eva1942 A Walking Enigma...

Congratulations are in order then, Jim! :D *blows party streamers*

Often some wars that ended decades ago, can on a spiritual plane, ‘not end’ for us until we have closure whether that be spiritually or physically...

All the best,
    Eva x

SeaAndSky and Jim78 like this.
  4. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Thanks Eva. My family doesn't understand why I'm so emotional about it. My brother just said "More of the same" referring to the grand coalition.

From their perspective if those governing don't give out unicorns and rainbows then they are failures.

Personally, having led, I recognise that more practical, prudent, grounded decisions are necessary. I don't expect the new cabinet to create magic but it has alleviated my fears these past nearly seven years that division would halt my vision for my country again as it did during the Civil War. Party streamers indeed.

SeaAndSky likes this.
  5. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

Hi Jim,

I'm glad you've lived to see it this time around! All the best!

Cordially,
    S&S

PS--It's also nice to hear/see some unabashed patriotism! It's a dirty word on this side of the pond.

Jim78 likes this.
  6. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Thanks for your words S&S. This was reported in the papers yesterday:

https://www.thejournal.ie/micheal-m...valera-and-collins-portraits-5135491-Jun2020/

Its profound to have Dev and Collins side by side in a Fianna Fail Taoiseachs office. Collins was always the opposing parties icon.

Many people, including my family, drifted to Sinn Fein for great change. They don't realise the importance of last week.

As for patriotism, I think many, in my country as well as yours, don't understand what patriotism is. That's why its a dirty word.

As Collins I was forced into political positions as a necessary evil of the times but as Jim I had the freedom to take an apolitical stance on things. As in your country as well as mine patriotism is defined by what political position you take and every faction thinks they are right....that's not how it works IMO.

Patriotism for me is a broader understanding of what ones country needs. Do you think an infantryman in Iraq, Vietnam etc took a political stance that served their needs? Many didn't. They simply served their country. It was the same for me in many of my lives.

I didn't have to agree with my leaders, that's wasn't my job, my job was contributing to preserving the democratic ideals of my country even if that meant doing things I didn't agree with. That's something many of the millennial generation don't realise, its not about you, its not about the person leading in government, its about serving ones country and that means that one must be willing to sacrifice themselves for the democratically elected Chief. Their feelings don't enter into it.

Now I know that many came home from war, particularly the Irish Civil War and Vietnam, with torn feelings between how they served and what they now believed, but that's not the point. The point is service and sacrifice for the greater good. Right or wrong an oath of allegiance to a democratically elected leader is an oath of allegiance to ones country. That's patriotcism IMO. One must put their personal feelings aside for the greater good.

As Collins I didn't want to negotiate a treaty but that was my mandate, I was a soldier following orders. I saw a bigger picture than my feelings on it. That's what many soldiers do. That's what many young civilians nowadays don't understand.

Its a shame really.

SeaAndSky likes this.
  7. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Also that doesn't mean blindly following ones leaders over a cliff, its about following the will of the nation and the nation IS the people.

As I said to a powerful individual of higher office than me who had overstepped his mandate in 2013 "You're supposed to be a public servant ye little shyte ye....elected BY the people FOR the people....well I AM the people and I'm telling ye now! Pick up your rattle and get back in your pram."

SeaAndSky likes this.
  8. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

Hi Jim,

Good stuff, but I can't respond here. I'll send you a PM.

Cordially,
    S&S

Jim78 likes this.
  9. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

That's cool S&S. I can see how this conversation could go beyond the patriotic and towards the political. I'll look forward to reading your PM.

10. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

450px-First_dail_restoration3.jpg

Ireland's first Dail. I'm in the front row, second from left with my arms folded.

TUFZMTI0MDQ3MTE1.jpg

Ireland's new Cabinet. All socially distanced of course. My fight between 2013/2014 seems worth it now. I'd chastised myself for it for years but here's hoping some positives come out of it.

SeaAndSky and Speedwell like this.
  11. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I was talking to my neighbour last night. He supports an unproven in government TD. I pointed out that leadership is also about compromise. I compromised on a Republic in favour of a Free State in 1921 because I knew it was the best deal we could get.

The idealists said that wasn't what they fought for, branded me a traitor to the Republic and split the Dail. But the treaty got a majority in the Dail and was supported by the majority of the country. That's the point. In democracy majority rules....yet the Anti Treaty faction justified it with "The treaty was got under duress from the British so 1922 views don't count, only the Dail of 1919 counts." Ridiculous. Public opinion is fluid. If the treaty hadn't been accepted I would have supported that but it was so I had my mandate.

What's the point of sectionalizing in 2020? Both parties who have their roots in the Civil War have coelesced.

I read an article that said no one cares about the coalition of opposing parties since 1973 because that generation is dead. Well...I care being the only living witness to a remembered Civil war. Also what happens in the Dail trickles down to the populace so the healing of the rift is very important to the modern Irish people whether they realise it or not IMO.

12. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Speedwell likes this.
  13. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

14. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ire...eave-portrait-in-taoiseach-s-office-1.4302466

I think its interesting that my grandniece knows I appreciate the coalition between these parties whereas Devs' descendant is intractable and backward, or at least static, thinking. ( although Dev was also slippery, he didn't want to be the one bringing the treaty home even though he was the Chief. )

It almost feels like ghosts of the past still influence family down through the decades. Is this nature or nurture? What does it mean in reincarnation terms given that familial bonds are severed after each life and most of us find ourselves in a new family with new attitudes and influences while having a bad bout of amnesia?