Not political...personal

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Jim78, Jun 27, 2020.

1. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

Hi Jim,

A terrible tragedy Jim. My thoughts are with you on a day when tyranny reigned against helpless people with tragic results.

Unfocused violence by governmental authorities against innocent civilians as revenge/reprisal for acts by combatants can never be justified IMO. As far as I can tell, this is not a case of "collateral damage" or even one where the ones they wanted were hiding among the civilians. It was just murder.

S&S

2. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Hi Stewardess Ester Osz, you aren't aware but you've insulted me and on a day where it was unwarranted.

While its true that Northern Irish Catholics had to push against injustices from the late sixties what the Provisional IRA did was unconscionable.

I've had many arguments with Sinn Feinners over the years over the actions of the PIRA.

First I thought most of their tactics where idiotic and incompetent. They targeted civilians, whether for sectarian reasons or on the British mainland. That's why as a teen and as Collins I never condoned such actions.

I eliminated agents of the state, informers and such. They did what I refused to do, they targeted civilians, innocents, people out shopping or having a laugh in a pub over a pint. That's not war IMO that's murder. That's why I was always disgusted at Gerry Adams justifying everything as "It was war."

Was war killing a mother and making her body vanish for instance? Was it pub bombings? Attacking civilians in London.

Sure...I admire Bobby Sands convictions that led him to die of hunger but I can't condone his organisation.

There were more effective, better and less destructive to citizens ways of conducting the troubles.

That's why I never joined the PIRA. I would have no truck with outright murder.

This romanticism you express for them disgusts me.

With the Good Friday Agreement the Irish Island has been given an opportunity to heal. The Northern Irish people have the right to vote for reunification. Terrorism is unnecessary.

What happened to the Irish is we healed. I myself risked taking a bullet for the Irish Republic but I didn't do it dismayed that my fellow Irishmen didn't follow my lead. I did it so they wouldn't have to.

Speedwell and SeaAndSky like this.
  3. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Hi S&S.

Thanks man. You know, in all my lives I've been a part of cruxifictions, mutilations, beheadings and so on but for some reason what happened in Croke Park on that day haunts me more than anything else. It puts blind horror in my eyes.

The two young fellas, ten and eleven year old boys, were found to have turned around to look at their shooters as they were shot. That means that the shooters knew they were killing innocent children yet no one was brought to justice. It makes me weep as I wept that day.

Your right, it was just murder. Yet I feel personally responsible for it as it was I, through the assassinations that day, that set the stage for blatant, unrestrained killing. I guess that's why it horrifies me. A young lady was buried the day of her planned wedding in her wedding dress, children died and such. Terrible. A hundred years and I still weep man...

When I was a child in my current life my father would take me to Croke Park to watch the GAA games. I didn't like football but the excitement of the crowd, the joy of witnessing sport being played out and everyone united in seeing it was intoxicating. To think that kids, who climbed trees to watch a game or were in the care of their father's as I was, were brutally shot is very upsetting. Such things shouldn't be a part of a child's life.

War is hell.

SeaAndSky likes this.
  4. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

Jim,

Just so you know, I was also disgusted by the terrorist acts I kept hearing about happening in Ireland. For some reason the one that still stands out in my memory was the assassination of Mountbatten. I just couldn't see the reason for this as I found him to be a rather heroic figure and thought the murder of him and other members of his family for nothing he had personally done was outrageous.

Of course, this may have nothing to do with reality, but I took a solid dislike to the IRA at that point and kept it (and increased it) through the long years of murder that followed. I understand a bit better now the long oppression that preceded it, but still disdain the act and the others like it.

Cordially,
    S&S

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 6:32 PM
  5. Stewardess Ester Ősz

Stewardess Ester Ősz Senior Member

Hi Jim,

there is a lot of suffering in this world, and we all got killed many times in the past. Some people may have heared of Holodomor and Gulags. And I dont quite remember the number of millions who were starved to death in those actions. Not to talk about the over 100 million abortions carried out world wide per year. They literally just tear one to pieces.

I mean, we all die in so many horrible ways on this planet, you can't even tell - not to say be discusted by it.

No, this world is obviously not healed. But I hope you get laid or something, and feel better.

If somebody or a nation thinks they are, once and for all, done fighting evil and done with marthyrdom - well, then they are done, I belive.