"OBE's" or something else?

Discussion in 'Parapsychology' started by Karoliina, May 4, 2007.

1. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

I have recently had two odd experiences and I'm not quite sure what they were about.

The first time I was sitting here on the sofa with my laptop. I was doing reasearch on a particular past lifetime, when suddenly I started to feel like I was floating a little higher up to where I was actually sitting. I wasn't in a meditative state or asleep, just surfing the Internet, and I could hear my boyfriend in the next room all the time. I felt a little dizzy, but the sensation was still pleasant. It's hard to describe, but I could feel myself sitting normally and typing, yet at the same time I could feel I was floating - not in the ceiling, but maybe just few inches above the sofa. This lasted for about 10 minutes, and then everything went back to normal.

The other time I was doing a kind of active meditation. I was lying on my bed with my eyes closed, listening to William Buhlman's "Om" (the older version). I was thinking about a certain past lifetime (different from the experience above, though) and a connection I had then with someone I know in this life, too. Suddenly I got an idea how it could have went (we're not sure about the nature of the connection etc.), and immediately after that I could feel I started spinning around. Of course, I wasn't really spinning around in my physical body, and again I could feel myself lying on the bed, but at the same time I felt very clearly how I was spinning around few inches above my physical body. I could even feel myself spinning both ways at the same time - I mean sort of clockwise and anti-clockwise. Then I could also feel - lying on my side - that I started turning around "on my stomach" in the air. Again this all lasted for about 10 minutes, then I got back to normal.

I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced something like this, and if someone knows what it is about? I could understand the latter experience better, as I was in a meditative state, but the first one was more odd imo, as I was just "being" normally. Do you think these experiences could have been connected to the PL research/pondering I was doing - could they have been signs I was getting something right? Someone suggested they could be some kind of OBE's.

Karoliina

Polaris8 likes this.
  2. vanhalen50one50

vanhalen50one50 Senior Registered

Hi Karoliina!

I have had a similar experience. It was late at night and I was typing a paper that was due the next day I was super stressed!!! Then all of a sudden I had the kind of feeling you described, It was awesome I was happy where I had not been 5 minutes before. It was a wonderful experience, I told a friend and they told me it was simply adrenaline so I waived it off as that. BUT now that I think about it, it sounds like an OBE... Thanks for asking the question, I cannot wait for the answers!!! :D

3. Justin Smith

Justin Smith New Member

I had an experience like this some 15 years ago. I described it in my novel, "Angels, Twice Descending" (Hamlet is a cat). It brought me out of a depression (apparently this euphoria is very common in out of body experiences). It was if I knew I wasn't trapped in my life and circumstances. I've never been able to recreate this experience since (and I've tried...).

--------------------------------------------
    Eventually, I calmed, dozed off again, and experienced gentle rocking sensations followed by a wrenching feeling of flipping end-over-end in bed.

“I give up!” I sobbed, thoughts of brain-seizures running through my mind.

I jumped out of bed. A delicious sense of health and freedom suffused my being --- as though I'd become a wind gust magically endowed with awareness. And what awareness it was: I felt more clear-headed than ever before --- as though I'd awakened from a lifelong drugged stupor. It was glorious.

I saw myself lying in bed.

“I’m beside myself!” I giggled, enjoying the euphoria that accompanied ... this. All thoughts of seeing a doctor in the morning were gone.

My sleeping body and Hamlet blazed with a cold, pale fire emanating from within. Waves of light rippled across our faces, making them flicker like candles. The strangest thing was the fire's color: an uncanny color not found in any Earthly color-chart or rainbow. It was crystal-clear, beautiful --- and utterly alien.

The bedding and other objects in the room also glowed with this unnatural light, but more faintly and steadily than Hamlet and I.

4. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Hi Karoliina,

Have you thought about or looked into the higher Chakras? Perhaps your consciousness was above and your awareness therefore expanded? I am interested and this is a very interesting topic - especially when we put into context - that we are NOT our bodies. *S*S*S*S*S

5. Karoliina

VanH and Justin Smith,

It's good to hear you've experinced something similar! :thumbsup:

Deborah,

I'm interested, too. :) Actually, my friend talked about the chkaras, too, but I'm not familiar with the subject. Will have to try and find out. ;)

Karoliina

6. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

You might want to start here - assuming you have not seen this thread. ;)

If you have - others might be interested.

7. Karoliina

Thanks, Deb!

The links in that thread seem interesting. I'll look into them tomorrow. Thanks again. :)

Karoliina

8. vanhalen50one50

I found this while reading "We are Their Heaven; Why the Dead Never Leave Us" by Allison Dubois today and I thought that it described it with great accuracy. :D

9. Karoliina

Yes, VanH, in a way with me, too, but I wasn't asleep.

I have been reading through the links in the thread Deborah shared, and also googling, and I find this theory about rising Kundalini interesting, although there are many symptoms I haven't had, and it sounds awfully fancy for a mere mortal like myself. :D

But I'm aware of this now and paying attention... ;)

Karoliina

10. vanhalen50one50

Hi Karoliina, :D
    I wasn't asleep either, but the quote is from a man talking about how his son had an obe dream about the son's brother who had died of a severe asthma attack while hiking.

11. Hey_Jude

Hey_Jude Gelfling

Karoliina,

I don't think this will be as helpful as I'd like for it to be, but when I was a very young child (four years old to probably eight) I would be lying in bed and just on the edge of sleep, and I would begin to feel my body spin. I remember associating it with floating out of my body, and knowing that it was a precursor to leaving my body. I remember that it was very relaxing and gentle and that I would spin both ways, although not at the same time. While this would happen I would also be able to feel my body against the matress of my bed. When I was young I had many experiences that were strange and unexplainable, so unexplainable that I've tried to forget about them over the years and now I almost don't believe they happened. Enough of me believes that these things happened to join this forum though :tongue:

When I was younger I used to have no trouble falling into a relaxed, meditated state before falling asleep. As I got older and aquired more responsibilities with school and work my brain began to resist sleep to the point where some nights I cannot even fall alseep and I spend the entire night cleaning and wishing I could be as peaceful as I once was. Do any of you have any tips on relaxation or meditation (I keep asking these types of things but I'm pretty desperate! :cool )?

Well I hope you found some comfort in the fact that others have experienced the 'spinning' portion of your experience, and I'm glad that someone else has experienced it as well.

J.A.

12. Kohr-Ah

Kohr-Ah New Member

This seems like a good thread to tell about my experience. Few years ago I woke up in the Saturday morning and then I went back to bed. I lied there few minutes eyes closed but suddenly I saw my room from different angle. It was as if I was standing and looking my room from that angle. Then I felt intense falling sensation, opened my eyes and I was back lying in my bed.

I'm 100% sure, that during that experience I lied on my bed and kept my eyes closed. I have had many lucid dreams, even lucid dreams which I thought were obes at the time but later realised that they were just dreams. This experience was definitely different, but I can't say if it was obe or not, since it was so short. (Only fragments of second)

13. Caillean

Caillean Senior Registered

I had a similar experience with falling asleep. Sometimes it feels like I am spinning. I am a bit afraid, thinking "I`ll fall of the bed", although I am nowhere near the edge.

Another strange thing that happened a few times is when I am about to sleep and my eyes are closed. I can then still see the room, how the lights from the streets are on the walls or how the furniture looks in the dark. It´s really hard to explain. It´s if like a "layer" of my eyelids is opening up and I am "seeing" again. But at the same time I am aware that my eyes are closed. And still, I can see. - My strongest "visions" about a PL have happened like this. Though I had my eyes closed, I still somehow felt my eyes were open and I could see clearly the room around me. Yet at the same time, my vision was somewhere else, in another time. I could feel the other person touching me like a real one. Very intense emotions washing over me. A lot of longing and sorrow, but also love.

I had once an experience, I think about as "almost OBE". I was lying on my bed and was very relaxed, almost meditative. I tried to do an OBE - not forcing, but gently using some techniques I had read about. What I remember next is me flowting near the ceiling, moving backwards from the door, torwards my bed. But I wasn´t doing it myself - I was carried. I felt strong arms carrying me "back" to my bed. When I realized that I was a bit frightened and surprised, so I opened my eyes. I have no recollection to what "happened" after I was relaxed and doing the technique. Very strange.

14. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Emeritus Staff Member Super Moderator

Hi Caillean,

It's nice to know that somebody else experiences 'seeing' with their eyes closed - :D

I recently posted this elsewhere:

15. Polaris8

Polaris8 Senior Registered

Karoliina, Thanks for sharing your experiences with all of us. I believe what you might have experienced is bi location. This is where consciousness (the soul is you will) can have awareness of being in two places at one time. I once had this experience many years ago. I was involved in a car pile up crash due to a traffic accident up ahead. As I was slamming on my breaks trying not to hit the car ahead of me . I realized I might hit the car so I started leaving my body from the top of my head.

It's kind of hard to explain but I was aware of leaving my body from the top of my head as I was above the top of the car looking down and yet at the same time seeing what was in front of me sitting down at the steering wheel getting ready to crash into the car. Luckily I did not hit the car so my awareness from above ended as I went back down into the body where I was centered in it once again. It was as if I was getting ready to exist the body in case I did crash. I have been told that soul in it's natural state has a 360's state of awareness and that it can focus on several things at once. But in order to have an experiences in this 3rd dimension consciousness itself collapses into a singular where it is center with in the brain focusing outwards thru the five physical senses.

Hope this helps some. Thanks for sharing such a amazing experience.

Love and peace...

P.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    Jim78 and Speedwell like this.