Open Minded Skeptic

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Volkman, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Volkman

Volkman New Member

Hello I am new here. I came across this forum in search of information about reincarnation, and this seems like the it's the place to be. I've experienced a lot of deaths of people close to me throughout my life, my grandmother at 4, my aunt at 8, my grandfather at 10, my dad at 15, and recently three childhood friends, all separate incidents, this past summer (I'm 19 now), and I have found the prospect of reincarnation rather comforting, almost therapeutic in dealing with the emotional reality, and while I still am a skeptic, I am open minded (there have been times when I have wondered if I was Steve McQueen in a past life, due to quite a few similarities between us, as well as some faint inclinations). I have particularly enjoyed reading about the work of Dr. Ian Stevenson, Dr. Jim Tucker, as well as Carol's work, all of which focusing on children who claim to recall past lives. To me the stories such as of the little boy from Oklahoma who recalls being a big shot in Hollywood, and Dr. Tucker taking an extremely pragmatic and controlled approach to come out with a conclusive match is the most concrete evidence out there. And while I am not totally sold, as much of the evidence is still anecdotal and also somewhat subjective on Dr. Jim Tucker's part (though I do not question his credibility), I am intrigued. I think for me to truly believe would be in the future to have my kid come up and tell me things he/she could not possibly know. However that day is still a long way off in the future.
    I guess that brings me to initially why I wanted to post here in the first place. I'm curious as to whether any of the members on here felt the way I do, being skeptical or even completely non-believing, and then had an experience that was so prolific that reincarnation was the only possible explanation. If you have anything, no matter what it is, please share? I'd love to hear about it. Thanks for reading (I'll try to post about my thoughts of being Steve McQueen soon).

2. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

Hi Volkman,

Welcome to the board, and no issue with skepticism. I'm about 90% sure at this point on the whole subject, but that is a product of a fair amount of exploration both before and after joining this board. There is no rush, no one is going to bash you on the subject, and no one is going to pressure you--this is a phenomenon we are all interested in and researching with varying degrees of certainty.

HOWEVER, when it comes to a particular life and the details of that life, there is a lot more skepticism on my part and I think generally on the part of others. It is very easy to confuse what is coming through and sometimes we jump to wrong conclusions. That is probably one reason why people spend time doing fact-checks and confirming the validity of what they are "remembering"--this often leads to a lot of historical research (the internet is invaluable) and you will find that many people on the board have areas that they have previously researched for their own purposes and are quite willing to help you if a question comes up.

Good luck!

S&S

3. SeaAndSky

Volkman,

Looking back at my post I realize that it might be interpreted to be expressing undue skepticism about a possible Steve McQueen PL. Not at all. Everyone is pretty open-minded around here, including myself. As someone observed, famous people reincarnate too. So, its going to happen, famous PLs are going to turn up, and it might as well happen here.

Cordially,

S&S

PS--Steve McQueen was the "cool" actor in my generation. He still is one of the coolest of actors in my opinion. To my mind, his archetypal role was in "The Great Escape"--though others might make other choices. I loved the movie and loved the character he played.

4. Misty8723

Misty8723 Senior Registered

I've never been a skeptic because I remembered a past life (or lives?) when I was a child, and it's the only thing that makes any sense to me.

5. Volkman

Volkman New Member

SeaAndSky thank you for the warm welcome and much appreciated response. I agree with you very much so on the premise that the best evidence, for me at least, is through as you put it "fact checking and confirming validity". That is why I'm doubtful of myself supposedly being the reincarnation of McQueen as I have never had any memories or recollections of being him. The King of Cool and I do share many tastes and traits however; from our obsession of ridiculously fast Porsche racecars, to lusting over attractive women, to a shared dislike of authority, I think that two of us would get along very well to say the least. And more importantly, I knew these and many other things about myself long before I knew about him. Reincarnated? Maybe. Eharmony compatible? Definitely

Misty8723 I'm jealous, I'm going to look into some hypnotherapy to see if I can remember anything through regression.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2015
  6. Totoro

Totoro Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

I think very few people if any actually have dreams or direct memories or recollections of any kind. That may be why people maintain skepticism... They just don't "feel" like they've had a past life.

Most of the time that's normal. The flip side is when people get hung up on the past, or theyve had a traumatic past life or an experience that's out of the ordinary and then it triggers some kind of feeling they can't explain.

7. SeaAndSky

8. Volkman

Volkman New Member

SeaAndSky thank you for showing me this, I had no idea this '52 Chevy was a car of his. I knew of his 930 Turbo that was up for sale not too long ago. Interestingly, while it does not trigger any memories, reading the article did make me feel uneasy, a little nauseous, even feeling a little physically ill, but only for a brief moment, particularly during the part in which it talks about McQueen hiding himself from the paparazzi. Even stranger, I am a huge gear head, I love cars more than anything in this world, and while my favorites are Porsches, Ferraris, Jaguars, and Mclarens, I've recently been interested in late model Ford and Chevy trucks from the 40's and 50's. Even stranger, and I swear I'm not making this up, Im particularly interested in ones painted army green or black. It is more than weird that the truck in the article fits this criteria so well (aside from the camper). Coincidence? Probably, as I'd really prefer a '49 to the '52. But, along with my unexpected reaction to this article, there have been other coincidences such as this that have led me to ponder.

9. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

McQueen was great in The Great Escape. I always wanted to have a beer with him. I guess a reincarnation forum is the place to meet him. :)

10. SeaAndSky

Ah . . . ! Great in "Papillon" too!

11. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

And this: