Opinions on Reincarnating in Family Trees

Discussion in 'SCIENTIFIC and ANECDOTAL research' started by GreyReynard, Sep 11, 2018.

1. GreyReynard

GreyReynard Senior Member

Jung once said that the task of each person’s life is to complete the job his or her ancestors were unable to do. That’s often the challenge and the goal for every man—to take what his father did well and improve on it with his own kids, moving the ball down the field little by little, generation by generation.

I found this statement on a popular website discussing how to be a good father when your parent may not have been a good role model. This hit home for me concerning reincarnation. If families tend to reincarnate together within the same family tree, then this thinking would make a lot of sense to me. You have to keep coming back to the messes or good works you helped create. Such as you may have mistreated a family member in a past life and come back as their child to reap what you have sown. The opposite would hold true as well, if you did good by someone, then you will return and benefit from a better situation.

I'd like to get others' thoughts on this.

Edit: I think this is the right spot, but if not moderators please move this to the appropriate location. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  2. yvettebruneau

yvettebruneau Senior Member

It's an interesting theory, if we do reincarnate within the same "family group" of souls each time. Personally, though, I have little to discuss here, as I've yet to conduct any research into past-lives in general and the nature of souls. I've been too wrapped-up researching my own past, to sharpen regression visions in the near-future. With that side winding down due to lack of sources, as all I'll be doing now is tracking down the extended family tree (and it looks to be a wide-reaching oak of a family), I will be looking into the 'academic' side of this "phenomena" and drawing my own conclusions from what I find. But, right now, my personal opinion is that we come back to finish something we started, or accomplish something we never set out to do. Or, we are put back on this realm to right the wrongs of our past. I've yet to dig up any wrongdoings, as I was a meek Russian-immigrant housewife in New York, so I don't feel that is my reason for coming back. Maybe, I made some other mistake, or there was something I felt I hadn't accomplished. I'm still unlocking the doors to my past, but I'm sure I'll find out the truth eventually.

Still, interesting topic of discussion. I look forward to seeing some other responses.

GreyReynard likes this.
  3. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

HI yvettebruneau - Carol wrote a book on American cases (well vetted) of children returning to the same family.RETURN FROM HEAVEN; Jim Tucker has a lot of them too. It does happen.

GreyReynard - this forum works. ;) My definition of Karma is not - reap wha you sow.

- me

GreyReynard likes this.
  4. KenJ

KenJ Assistant Archivist and Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

I’ve often thought about this, but from a different perspective. I had hoped to be different than my father, to somehow be a “better” father than he was, perhaps having some of his father’s characteristics that he deemed unimportant. I had hoped to be more loving and caring, yet here I am at the latter years of my life with my children feeling much the same way about me as I felt about my father – which is a major bummer of a feeling I might add. Perhaps it is a good thing that I did not have any sons to continue this craziness. Specifically, I envisioned every other generation repeating the same actions because of the desire to give their offspring what they felt was missing in their youth.

Having my life turned upside down while my daughters were 8-12 years old through too long a period thereafter did not help, but was still no excuse for my lack of attention given during their earlier years as I built my career and reputation in the world outside my family. So in the context of this topic I have failed miserably to have advanced the goals of fatherhood with my biological daughters. My step-daughter and I have a good relationship although I will probably never be of great significance in her life.

Of all the things I’ve done in the nearly thirty-thousand days of my current lifetime, my realization that I did not spend enough of that time with my children in their areas of interest and felt-need is my greatest regret. So it seems that I may have extended the “mess” that needs further attention. On the other hand, all four of my daughters are strong, independent, and productive women leading respectable lives so I don’t think I’ve created harm.

5. GreyReynard

Thanks for the replies.

Yvette- I have done some family research, and you may find something that clicks with you. I have someone way up above that clicks with me. I have a birthmark that closely aligns with how he died. I also got pissed reading what the contemporaries wrote about how he died. Because, I just knew they were denigrating him. I have no memories though. I only can access through dreams.

Deborah- I will say that I agree with what you wrote. If I read correctly, you believe that your thoughts create your reality. It rings true. Thoughts become action many times. I have read a lot of NDE experiences. I definitely believe that your beliefs when you die strongly correlate with what you experience and see after death. When I have more time I will expand a bit on my thoughts on reaping and sowing.

6. GreyReynard

Ken I appreciated your thoughtful response. I am sorry that you haven’t accomplished all that you had hoped to, but you sound as if your daughters have done well. I would say that sounds as if you have moved the ball forward so to speak. It is hard to be a parent. It is really hard to be a good parent, and impossible to be a perfect one. I too hope to be better than my parents and provide my boys with better lives than I had. We will see how that works out for me in the end.

KenJ likes this.
  7. GreyReynard

Some more of my thoughts on reaping and sowing. I have come to the personal opinion from my research on NDE that very likely we are all a small part of a larger whole. This pains me because I cherish my individuality. Anyway, with this in mind what we do to others we do to ourselves. By reincarnating in a straight line so to speak there is a more immediate aspect to this what we do to others we do to ourselves idea. To me this seems fairer, there is no judgment we just have to deal with the effects of our actions on our future selves. I don’t think it’s entirely this simplistic, but it just makes sense to me.

SeekerOfKnowledge likes this.
  8. Winter Light

Winter Light Member

I disagree with Carl Jung on this topic. In my opinion the task of each person's life is much more individualized... yet at the same time, more general and less prosaic. Overall, I think that reincarnating is meant to give us experiences, and improve the state of existence overall, rather than something as goal-oriented as "do better than your ancestors". I definitely don't think the point of it is tied to parenting, though obviously that figures into many people's lives.

I question whether people are necessarily likely to incarnate among the same family members. It does happen of course but I've seen plenty of cases that aren't in-family reincarnations. It definitely doesn't seem to be as systematic as grandparent-becomes-grandchild, etc. I believe it it's Michael Newton (please correct me if I'm wrong) who says that, according to his research, parents and children aren't generally in the same exact soul group. Instead they usually belong to adjacent groups. I wonder, if this is true, how it figures into things?

I also have a few logical objections to this idea. For one, what of families where many generations are alive at once? For example, I was a teenager before my great-grandparents died. My own grandmother has died now, but she lived to see two of her great-great grandchildren. There would be no chance for straight-line reincarnation in a family like mine, because the people happen to be so long-lived.

And then there's the good percentage of humans, especially nowadays, who never have children. If reincarnation frequently worked as directly as this then the chain would be broken every time that happened, too.

Eevee and landsend like this.
  9. landsend

landsend Senior Registered

A fascinating topic.

I’ve often felt out of place where I was born and I’ve often questioned why on Earth I’ve ended up here and not back in ‘my’ family. Technically I could have ended up back in my previous selves family but did not. I’m sure my past selves grandkids are probably around my age now.

Why is this? Why did I choose this family? The superficial answer, wanting new experiences, wanting to escape pain and the past. Is that all there is to it? Is there something more intricate at work here?

To add a layer of complexity to it all there are many strange synchronicities between my past and present mother. She died in 1961. Present mother was born 1964. Did I choose to be born to her specifically? And if so, why did she choose to be born here of all places?

fireflydancing likes this.
  10. Klaud

Klaud Senior Member

I never thought it was necessary to reincarnate with the same families over and over again tbh. There's some overlap, sure, but it's probably not a requirement. New people create new experiences and opportunities to learn. I always assumed soul families could be quite large.

If I've willingly chosen to be stuck with my family in this life and other ones, then I must really be a glutton for punishment.

Speedwell likes this.
  11. Speedwell

Speedwell Senior Registered

In my experience, the people who have had the most significant impact in my life have been scattered around in diverse locations and encountered at different times in my life. I do tend to feel that some or all of these are people I've met before, but they are definitely not family in the conventional sense of people one is related to.

I'd view things as an open network, extending without limit, rather than a specific and fairly close grouping.

Klaud likes this.
  12. landsend

Why though? Why do we reincarnate where we do?

13. Totoro

Totoro Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

I came here originally with strong evidence that I had reincarnated with a very large extended family, up to the point of possibly being my own great grandfather. I thought this was the normal experience until I read someone's account here that it could possibly be that ethnic families tend to reincarnate together in groups, whereas other's don't.

I suppose ultimately it's up to the individual how they want to reincarnate, however that line of thinking explains my own experiences and why I'm so surprised to find that most people do not reincarnate with their extended families.

Li-la likes this.
  14. Li-la

Li-la Senior Member

Interesting topic!

In my own case (dying in the 1970's and being reborn in the 1970's...) I have come to the assumption that my soul group is cut in two (or perhaps more?) because I died when I was quite young and my children were children. To me what would have been more logic would have been if I had been my old self own grandchild for instance (I would love to have for instance my past life son as my father, I loved my kids so much), but instead I was born miles away to another family that was not related to my old self. I do suspect that my daughter was once my mother (in that most previous past life) so in a way it is wonderful that she has followed me instead :)

I have always felt connected to my mother's side of the family and always felt out of place and not at all as if I am home with my father's side of the family so I can't help but think that maybe my soul group is on my mother's side and no one on my father's, at least that is the only explanation I can think of right now.

/Li La

landsend likes this.
  15. landsend

I’m very connected to my past selves family too. I had a vivid dream that involved many generations of my past selves family, most of them older men who I presumed had passed on (but maybe not?). It was incredible. Just a feeling of absolute belonging and good cheer. They were a humorous bunch.

I feel more connected to my mothers side too but that’s probably because my dad was one of fourteen — too many of them that I can’t recall all my cousins names.

Tinkerman and Li-la like this.
  16. fireflydancing

fireflydancing just a fly in the sky Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't think there is simply one system for us to follow. There are just many possibilities.

Sometimes I think about all those children that might have been born through me over the centuries. Where are they now? Perhaps it didn't happen at all, because it seems that I have died at a young age quite often. Or that I became an adult without having children.

My mother was convinced that I had been her grandmother, my own great grandmother. She just based it on the love she felt for both of us, plus several similarities between the lives of my great grandmother and mine. I have never even considered this to be an option. Besides, I should have been a bit concerned about my former off-spring, I assume. I never did.

I don't think that I am someone who reincarnates in entire family trees, and I certainly can't remember creating family trees. In my Silezian life, I had one son. Next life on the Islands I had one son who died young (who is my current son as well, he told me himself)
    In my Russian life, I think there were no children for several reasons. In my English life, I died having my first child. In my Catalan life, I think I remained a spinster, always dressed in black. There's the other Spanish life in which I don't know whether I was the mother of a child or just one of her professional caretakers. A probably Dutch life in which I took care of my younger disabled brother but I drowned under ice long before adulthood. A Mexican life in which I was the (unmarried) housemaid who gave birth to several children (3 or 4) from her employer, which hadn't been her/my choice. I don't know what I might have procreated in my last past life as a male but died in my twenties.

This is not a full list of memories, because there are more echoes from the past but less detailed. I've lived all around the globe, all kinds of religions and cultures, yet another indication that I've never been family orientated (as a group process).

Speedwell likes this.
  17. Jaimie

Jaimie Senior Member

Yes, interesting topic. I have always felt at home with my mother's side of the family but zero, and I mean zero, connection with my father's side. Years can pass between me seeing a particular someone from my mother's side but when I do there is this instant love and "homey" feeling, it is as if no time has passed, people on my father's side have always been complete strangers to me no matter how many hours I have spend with them, they were like air to me really, it is a horrible thing to write perhaps and i don't usually do this but I felt it from the time I was a child - and I thought it was strange back then too. I come from my mother's second union. Her first produced an elder sibling to me and so I have met my sibling's father a lot over the years and talked with him on the phone and so on. I felt more connected to HIM than people from my father's side of the family. Also he always treated me right. Even my mother said this one day, that it was as if he instantly took me to his heart even though I was not his child and there should automatically be this distance, wall between us. I have played with the thought that if my mother's first union had not failed to work out that he would have been my father instead, but then again I have always loved my own father :)

From my own experiences I think soulmates can shift roles in a dramatic way. In one life they can be one's life partner, in another one's child. So possible in my case at least that I can have one soulmate who exists in one family, but although I am connected to that soulmate I am not connected to that soulmate's family.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    fireflydancing likes this.