• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Past Life or Overactive Imagination?

Amandah Leigh

I am in college, and live with my aunt, uncle, cousins and Godson. The children are a 5 yr old gir, a 3 yr old girl, and a 1 yr old boy.

The three year old girl has always been...different. She can be an incredibly sweet, easy child, and she can be a complete and total handful. She can also be a little eerie at time.

She says things all the time like, "I broke my arm was I was grown up," or "I was there when I was five," or other things like that. When I tell her, "you've never been five, you're only three!" She'll reply that I'm wrong (or she'll say, "liar, liar, pants on fire," which she recently picked up at school). I've always assumed that she was either, A) confused about years, such as, Five (or Ten, or twenty-two, whatever) comes AFTER three or B) that she was just playing pretend.

But after a conversation with two friends today at lunch (which prompted one to search for and send me a link to this site) I started to wonder, what if...

Mainly, I am concerned about what she used to say when she was little. She learned to talk very early and would say things like, "I remember Jesus from before I was in Mommy's tummy," and "I used to know Jesus before when I was not a baby yet." She was (is) sure she's met Jesus, and this was before she moved to the town in which she currently attends Catholic pre-school.

She says other strange things too, not past-life-like, but strange, like after their rotweiller died last year (when she was two) and she continued to play with him. She stopped talking about him for months and months ("it makes Mommy too sad," she told me) and then, a couple of months ago, she told her mother that she had spent the afternoon playing with Max (their dog) and my aunt's mother's German Shepard. When my aunt told me this, I was like, "Aww, that's sad." And she replied. "Yeah, it is. Because my mother's dog died last week and we haven't told the kids yet." After this, I just came to the conclusion that my little cousin is...different...than her older sister.

I've started working on a script loosely based on ehr and the things she says and plays, but after last week when she described breaking her arm "when (she) was grown up," I've considered the fact that maybe she does not just have an over-active imagination, but maybe a real memory of something before she was my little cousin, and maybe she does actually see things that I simply cannot. I'm interested in finding out more about children and past lives, and in the opinions of other people who know more on the subject than I, regarding whether she just might have one of those memories the other children seem to have abt past lives.

Should I ask her straight-out about when she was 'grown up?' I know that when I was little, I always imagined that I had been a civil rights activist in the 60s and 70s (I was the only 6 year old in my school watching Mary Tyler Moore, singing Sonny and Cher, and reciting Martin Luther King's "I have a Dream" Speech) so I've just always assumed that she was like me, creative and different...But maybe...not?

**Thanks

*Amandah Leigh

I think it would be very interesting to ask her about her past adult life. See how much detail she is capable of. Keep a diary.

Yes, always keep a diary.

I have detailed the few things I was able to witness of my brother/great-niece before she became too old to remember, but I had to do it secretly - she lives in a Christian household that is not so open to such things. She would seem to realize when I was thinking about who she used to be, even when she was a baby, and would grin, especially when I called her "Bud," which was once her grandfather/former persona's nickname (am I being clear?) :)

But, we had so little time, I only have one really clear, good experience of realizing she did know: the day she told me to come play "sister" - not sisters - and proceeded to" pretend" she was my brother.

I'm glad I've got that. Cherish what you find, and keep it for her, because someday she will no longer remember on her own.

Sandra

me too

when i was a kid, 6 or 7 or 8, I was fascinated by ancient cultures. Now, I've always been a bit of a nerd, but this was...wow. The kids used to make fun of me. Ultimate nerddom.

I loved a tribe that I believe was South American. Maybe they were from the Amazon. I especially loved Egypt, and still do actually. Ancient Egypt is so cool. The pyramids and the pharoahs, Ra god of the sun...I collected maps as a child. I loved geography. I loved to explore and wander around places I had never been. I always got lost. I still do that, in fact, thats how I know my way around downtown so well. I love to wander. Thats so much fun for me. Now as an adult, I am beginning to think I may have been a mapmaker or explorer in a past life.

There is this unexplained phenomena that children remember thier past lives vividly and adults do not. I think thats cool. I have never met a child like this.

Your story sounds very interesting. Kind of creepy though. Thats okay. Past lives can be kind of creepy.

"I am beginning to think I may have been a mapmaker or explorer in a past life."

--> Or maybe you just enjoy looking at maps of places where you used to incarnate.

When I was in high school, I remember seeing my first map of Japan in a textbook. A wierd feeling went though my body. I went on to live in Japan, learn Japanese, and identify a past-life as a Japanese. These "flashes from the past" can always be fascinating.

When I was a child, I was fascinated with the Orient, although I had no psychic premonitions about it. I have come to realize that children who are fascinated with something are merely re-connecting with something that was very important to them in a previous life. Imagine, if you will, a violin master who dies and reincarnates. It only makes sense that this person, as new child in another body, would have a fascination about violins, even if they never pick one up.

again

I no longer collect maps. That stopped when I was young. I especially loved the rainforest. Maybe I did live in an ancient time. I have never tried to reconnect with that childhood fascination. Maybe I should, cause I'm DYING to know what happened to me previously. And if that thing about kids remembering thier past lives is true, maybe I was right on target.

I've been guessing at visions. Apparently I was a housewife, or I died in a shipwreck. Maybe both.

Be careful to ask open ended questions, not leading ones. You don't want to put ideas into her head, just get the information flowing. You could ask her if she remembers her name, where she lived, the names of her family, what she did for a living.

Definately keep a diary for her. Hopefully she will one day be fascinated by it, and thankful to you for providing her with the glimpse into her past life.

Back