Past Life, the FOX TV series.

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Tinkerman, May 20, 2009.

1. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

February 19, 2010

The statement below is in response to questions and discussion made regarding the FOX television series Past Life. Two older threads were merged into this one. Your comments are welcome.

Statement to the membership
    :

The new FOX TV series Past Life is exciting for those of us who have been researching and experiencing past lives. To see reincarnation in the mainstream media is a welcomed development. That said, this particular program has some authenticity issues. As most of you know, the Past Life Forum has been a voice in the field of reincarnation for over 13 years. Its collection of information and resources is one of the foremost on the world-wide internet. The owners and the staff of PLF take the theory seriously and we feel that the program may have some negative implications.

First, the network portrays people with past life memories as people with deep psychological problems. The implications are that they are ill, uncontrollable and even dangerous. This portrayal is unfounded and could prove harmful to those dealing with true past life issues.

Second, the themes of programs aired thus far are sensationalized and tend to debase the theory. Each issue has been tied to criminal and murderous behavior. These are certainly themes familiar to mankind, but the over-dramatized and negative portrayals are not a true representation of the majority of memories we have recorded on this forum. Those unfamiliar with reincarnation may be frightened by this.

We want to remind our membership, and those visiting here looking for information, that television drama, and this particular series, is not necessarily an accurate representation of reincarnation, it is entertainment. For many, past life research is a personal journey of discovery, filled with highly emotional and sometimes tragic discoveries. But the process of discovery and the therapy to deal with it are a serious science as represented in the International Association of Regression Research & Therapies. Many questions can be answered in our FAQ section.

This particular series is misusing terminology and the regression process for the sake of drama. Actors repeatedly use the word “regression” as some type of psychotic episode. Regression is a therapy by which trained counselors assist people with recalling their memories. What is Past Life Regression? Carol Bowman writes about it in this section, please feel free to read this informative article.

As we said above, we are pleased that reincarnation is being placed into the mainstream media, but are disappointed that this program and its creators did not consult professionals in the field. And we would hope that future programs might shed a better light on reincarnation.

We invite our members to post their thoughts.

The Forum Staff

2. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Past life Pilot for FOX TV

Here's a link to the trailer for the

pilot:
    What do you think of it? I am curious.

3. Alexnovo

Alexnovo Senior Registered

I think it looks interesting. It is a bit sensationalistic but I think the final verdict will come from watching the show.

4. soulfreindly

soulfreindly Senior Registered

It definitely has that hollywood drama to it. I find trailers sometimes a poor insight into a movie, but from what I saw it does not turn me on.. a bit too far removed from the more subtle aspects of having an actual memory.. and the difficult subsequent spiritual work around it to give a reason for it all..

soulfreindly

5. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

I think it looks great :) I'm excited to see how they present reincarnation. I think one needs to expect some "Hollywoodization" to hold regular viewer interest, but it makes me happy to think that the show *may* cause some people to seriously consider reincarnation. If it generates enough interest - I believe people will search for answers ;)

I'm also really excited to watch the new show The Listener - it looks pretty interesting as well :)

6. soulfreindly

soulfreindly Senior Registered

I thought the Listener looks interesting.. Nice title too.. just makes me hope we are in a time where more people are listening ..

7. W.A. HEART

W.A. HEART Senior Registered

I liked it! :D It's a good trailer I think, it made me want to see the show...

There was a comment there from a regression therapist, saying he/she hopes that show stays true to the deep research, tools, and rich techniques that kind of spiritual work creates! I hope so too!

Thanks Deborah! :D

8. Ariannel

Ariannel New Member

Past Life - New Fox series

Has anyone heard about the new Fox series called "Past Life" that will be airing for the 2010 season?

http://www.fox.com/programming/shows/?sh=pastlife

Not sure how this will pan out but I'll set my Tivo to record it.

9. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Thanks for the heads up Ariannel

I have heard about the new series, but unfortunately no sign of it being shown here in the UK yet, but maybe we'll get it later on.

There are several previews on YouTube like this one

Hope you enjoy the show, let us know what it's like :)

10. MJRoseAuthor

MJRoseAuthor New Member

Past Life

Hi all,

The show will be on in March - right now they are saying 9PM after American Idol on Tuesdays. I saw the pilot and even though I'm not impartial - I thought it was wonderful.

The show is based on my novel The Reincarnationist - but very much it's own effort and not a copy of the book at all.

Meanwhile the second book in my series - The Memorist - which is also in the Reincarnation series came out in November 2008 and got some great reviews - so if any of you are looking for a new novel to read - its available all over - online and off - and the next in the series will be out during the show. The Hypnotist.

I'm currently working on the fourth book in the series.

11. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Congratulations MJRose.

Your website and book are very well done. Kudos! I am looking forward to the TV series. :D

12. ChrisR

Congratulations from me too MJ, good luck with your new book. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the show will be aired in the UK not too long after you've seen it over there, however I also noticed that we'll be able to watch it on the internet if not: :)

13. azgrl25

azgrl25 Senior Registered

This reminds me of a show that I saw a couple episodes of several years back.

The hypnotherapist would do a regression on an individual. They would then go out and do the research to validate the memories for that person, then actually take that person to the place where they lived in that lifetime.

I just checked around and i'm pretty sure this is the same show. It's called Past Life Investigations. I'd love to see this come to the US again!

:thumbsup:

14. ChrisR

Thanks for the link azgrl

I found an episode from Past Life Investigations on YouTube, :)

15. GoldFish65

GoldFish65 New Member

Thanks for posting the trailer link Deborah. I'd definitely tune into the show to check it out. Though the concept is very interesting I'm curious to see how well it pans out as a series. Often with such programs....like Ghost Whisperer, Medium, The Listener, etc.....it becomes either more of the same after a time....or it becomes so far fetched as to be almost unbelievable. Most of these programs really shouldn't survive beyond season two.

I seriously related with the young male character in the trailer when he cried out that he was going crazy. The question in the intro about 'what happens when the past and the present collide' also struck a chord in me. Several years ago I had my own first hand experience with past life recall that I just couldn't seem to integrate into my current life. It's taken a long time for me to heal from that experience. I was working with a young man whom I learned had been my son in a past life, and I went through some serious emotional chaos as a result of those memories. It was as though my soul had come out of a coma and I couldn't cope with my new reality. It was, by far, the most emotionally gut-wrenching time in my life. I wonder how much more of this show I'll be able to relate to. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

16. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Former Moderator

Funny you should mention two seasons because typically that's about how long I can stick with.... well, any TV series before it starts to get stale. I started out watching the Ghost Whisperer, but after a couple seasons all the episodes were pretty much the same. That's usually about the time when the writers start to push the envelope to make the show more interesting. Then the show almost becomes a joke.
    I'm definately going to give "Past Life" a chance. I'm excited about it because its something I can point at to stimulate conversation on the subject and get an idea if people are open to it or not. If nothing else, the show will introduce the concept of reincarnation to a main stream audience.

17. MJRoseAuthor

MJRoseAuthor New Member

Past Life on FOXTV Airing 2/11 8 PM

Hi everyone - I'm excited to tell you all that the show will air 2/11 on Fox TV at 8PM - please tell everyone. They take reincarnation very seriously on the show:thumbsup:

Also the novel its based on The Reincarnationist will be rerelease 2/23 with the next in the series The Memorist on 3/28 and the third - the new one 4/28 - The Hypnotist!

Can't wait to hear what you all think!

18. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Premiere Tonight!

Just a reminder that the new show Past Life premieres tonight on Fox 9/8c - check your local listings! If you miss the broadcast, you may be able to tune into Fox on Demand as listed at the top of the Past Life page to watch the full version online. Please be aware this service is only available in some regions.

After the premiere, subsequent airings will be broadcast on Thursdays beginning February 11, 2010 during the 9/8c timeslot.

Be sure to tune in - and let us know what you think of the show.

Aili :)

19. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

So what did you think? We don't get it here, but an American friend was telling me about it, and I'm curious if his view is similar to members' here. :)

Karoliina

20. Jody

Jody Senior Registered

I thought it was a well-done show, but I'm a bit skeptical that it's going to last very long. Do you have Cold Case or the Ghost Whisperer where you live? It kind of reminded me of a cross between those shows. There seems to be a definite trend in American TV shows that "try to find justice for the dead" (think of all the CSI shows!), plus a spike of interest in the paranormal, and this series is kind of riding on their coattails ... yet the plain fact is most Americans don't believe in reincarnation, and the show seems targeted towards those who take it as a given. I'm hoping it will find a niche audience, though, I liked it -- the second episode airs tonight at 9 on FOX.