"personality" of souls from life to life?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by michaldembinski, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Hi Simba, Hammy and Wolfie,

I've thought about this too. It is my own perception that I am very much the same personality wise. I love the analogy of the stained glass window someone used some weeks ago and I used in a paper recently; that is we are like the stained glass window...our soul has its unique colors and construction i.e. personality....as it progresses on its journey those colors change and refract differently, yet they are at the core the same. In the other thread someone asked are we the shimmering colors or are we the window, and I would say both...like soul and spirit.

I feel a very, very strong affinity, for lack of a better word, with my previous incarnation. It's as if it were simply a continuation of that same personality. I believe the things that happened to him are, in some respects, what define me today. Its an odd mix of healer, holy man, lover and warrior. I think our experiences alter and effect our colors, imprint if you will, and the journey goes on.

Hammy good to see you!

Peace, The Tinkerman

2. Simba

Simba New Member

Thanks for all your replies.- I find it so interesting. It helps to make sense of everything when we hear other people's stories.

I often wondered if I somehow altered my PL memories to fit my personality today, but then again it just doesn't seem possible that I would really change much of the basics of who I am. Because I suppose if we're born with a personality basically just altered a little with our life experiences we're basically the same person inside.

What's weird about my PL's - like mentioned from other people, is that it is like a continium of what came before. For example, in my PL as mentioned above was the military life thing and the personaity of my current husband, my buddy in that life. We're together again and he's in the military, very law abiding while I"m a little bit of the risk taker once again. And I found myself around military people in 5 other past lives, yet i have no military in my own family, however I've always been drawn to the military life.

But also another aspect of my PL is most recently in the PL in the 50's my grandpa was a painter and I loved to see his work, and he lived near this lighthouse, which we often visited in that life. I hadn't realized this until recently and what's weird is that this life I have been obsessed with visiting all the lighthouses in Nova Scotia and ended up living very close by to where my grandpa in a PL lived, and I ended up studied fine art at the university here in this life without realizing what was in my PL. I died around only at age 20ish in that life, which is weird because I moved to Nova Scotia at age 22, like I came back to finish something because when I first arrived here I felt like I was finally home. ANd I have never been here before, I am from the praries originally.

ANyway - I'd love to hear more from everyone.
    Simba

3. MoonDansyr

MoonDansyr Senior Registered

Well, I like Tinkerman's view on the topic.

However, I think that over time, and with various circumstancs, I can see our personalities changing somewhat significantly - - even within one single lifetime. But certain things, like love of certain music or certain architectural and furniture styles, etc. - - I can see that staying rather constant.

4. tiltjlp

tiltjlp A Recycled Soul

Yes, I think we do change somewhat as we mature, but I also think that there is a core personality that stays with us. Minor details might change, but I'm pretty much like the persons I've been in recent past lives. I feel I've been a writer or scribe in many of my lives, as well as overly cautious, slow, and plodding thinker, a bit shy, and a late bloomer. I do feel I've grown more personally and spiritually in this life, but expect that I'll still be basically me next life too. So maybe rather than changing, it's more of a fine tuning that happens.

John

5. Hammy

Hammy Senior Registered

I like your post too Tinkerman and a big hello to you :D

MoonDansyr, I think I know where you are coming from. We clearly must change in the way we act from life to life and even during one lifetime. Sometimes it seems we go from one extreme to another.
    But I think our basic personality stays the same throughout, we only act out different strengths and effects of our various basic personality traits during each life.

Hammy.

6. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

I always find this topic interesting. :)

Anyone else have something to say about personalities through lifetimes?

Ailish

7. tanguerra

tanguerra Senior Registered

Well, first of all let's work out what we mean by 'personality'. If we are talking exterior behavioural traits like introvert/extrovert, optimist/pessimist, passive/agressive, cheerful/depressed type things then I suspect that these types of outward attributes tend to adjust over the course of our lives - maybe gradually - as we try things out and see how they go, learn from experiences.

I can remember having various 'bad habits' over the centuries - furious bad temper, self-righteousness, cowardice, self-pity - which I have learned to overcome often through quite harsh, not to mention painful, lessons. Although of course I still have my bad hair days - I don't think I need a 'brick wall to fall on me' now to notice when some of my bad old habits are resurfacing, because I remember what the consequences were! :)

Certainly our personalities change subtly between adolescence and maturity in a single life. We learn to be more patient for example (hopefully) and less impetuous, gain better control over the desire for instant gratification of desires and so on. We might learn to overcome issues such as shyness and depression with some practice and guidance over the course of one life or many, which is what I think Moondansyr is getting at.

If we are talking the sense 'me' or 'I' or 'self' which I would relate to the 'soul' (however you conceive it) no I don't think that changes fundamentally. I remember still being 'me' in ancient Africa, although my interests and my options were obviously quite different then, it was still 'me' deep down. That 'me' feels a weird combination of three years old and 10,000 years old.

8. Wicker

Wicker Senior Registered

Well, of course our personality changes with each lifetime. Personality is dependent upon circumstance. That is, personality is molded by physical form, genetics, health or sickness, societal status, relationships, education, maleness or femaleness, societal group dynamics, climate, topography and other aspects of living a physical existence. Perhaps the innate soul does not change much over lifetimes but personality separate from soul must change in order to adapt to a given physical circumstance and to allow the soul to learn and grow. The personality is temporal while the soul is eternal.

I like to visualize my soul as a faceted gemstone with each personality being one of the facets. During each lifetime one faucet is turned toward reality but all facets, that is all personalities, make up the soul that I really am. The I that is me is spiritually embodied in all of my personalities and each and every personality is part of my soul.

How likely would it be that the personality I had as Attila the Hun would be the same personality I had as, say, Marilyn Monroe? - Your friend, Wicker :)

9. elese

elese Senior Registered

Hi Simba!
    I think the best way to look at change in personality over the span of multiple lifetimes is very similar to change in personality over one lifetime. I mean, I think about how much I've changed in this lifetime, and it amazes me. But then again, I've virtually stayed the same. People change, and some events/environments will change people more dramatically, but otherwise, we pretty much maintain central personality traits. That's how I look at it anyways.

~Elese~

oh, & btw, very interesting topic!

10. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

does the same "personality" span different lives?

Something I read in another thread got me thinking, do we carry the same basic personality from one life to the next? I have strong feelings that in my last life I had very much the same characteristics that I have in this life, the main one being that i am/was very shy. Can we be say a very private person in one life, and then be very outgoing in the next? Is the personality in the body or the soul?

11. Owl

Owl Super-alt Mitglied

I think personality is formed by: this life´s experiences (and environment), genetics, and past life´s experiences. So, "soul" would be a 1/3 in the process.
    BUT : if the soul chooses a similar environment and a similar family (or family background) to reborn, then the personality would be very similar.
    Also, i think that the time the soul spends between lives reviewing these counts as "past life experiences" so the past life personality could have changed in this period. I believe the most time they spend the most they change, because they have more time to analyze the life that had past away.

12. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

I believe the personality will not survive death because our personalities are not the same while we are alive.

If you stop and think about it - you are not the same person you were five, ten, or fifteen years ago. It would be a sad state of affairs if you were. ;)

We are constantly changing, evolving and growing.

13. ChrisR

but I believe that certain aspects of the personality are "programmed" into us for the duration of our lives. For example, shyness, I always have been, and always will be shy, it isn't something that can be cured, it's part of who I am, and you have to understand shyness to know this is true, same as an extrovert will always be outgoing. I agree with you Deborah, general personality does change over the years, but there are some base characteristics that don't change, and I was wondering if we carry these throughout each life.

14. Owl

Owl Super-alt Mitglied

Some scientists say that shyness is produced by some chemicals in the brain, in altered states of mind (ex: if we´re drunk) in some people shyness may disappear for a moment, so maybe part of the shyness problem is biologycal.
    I don´t think is simple as that, some of our behaviors are a consequence of our experiences, something happened that make us feel and behave the way we do.
    So, maybe you weren´t always shy, but your lives made you this way, if you could remember what events made you this way, maybe you won´t be shy anymore.

15. MoonDansyr

MoonDansyr Senior Registered

Hi ChrisR~

I believe we have the capabilities to change, and let's hope we do - - for the better all of the time! But I genuinely believe that there are certain characteristics or "habits" that may be inherent.

I think that in this current life, I tend to walk the straight and narrow. However, I have a deep suspicion that in a former life, I was hardened and calloused. I've not witnessed the memory of it, but it's just "there."

If you are shy now, I can see that being a carry-over from one life to another.

16. ChrisR

owl - I like your answer and that is correct in my case, for example, some people I just "click" with straight away, while with others, my brain will be completely blocked. So I need to identify the events either in this life or a past life that made me shy. I don't know where to start looking.. what makes a person shy?.. maybe another visit to the regressionist for me then :rolleyes:

17. michaldembinski

michaldembinski Senior Registered

Warsaw, Poland; 52 degrees North, 21 degrees East
    I don't think personality spans lives.

I've had several rather disturbing dreams going back to 1930s and 1940s USA in which I'm a heartlessly violent young man, indulging in brutality without any revultion or remorse. This is just not me in this life.

Michal

18. tiltjlp

tiltjlp A Recycled Soul

I have to agree with everyone that the personality doesn't get reincarnated. I think there are many aspects of personality that are shared by a lot of people, such as sense of humor or lack there of, and an endless list of likes and dislikes. Our family probably influences most of these, and since we can't remember ever NOT being that way, there's a tendency to wonder about them. Since we're all individuals, ever family members are going to have some differences.

John

19. zetascair20086

zetascair20086 New Member

Avatar:My last life Jill Montgomery in 1982
    My personality has varied from life to life, but in the main my core personality seems to have been like my present one, persistent from life to life. It has changed noticeably only when seen over the course of many lives. Gender seems to have made a difference as well, but the personality is fairly consistent there too. In lives where I was different I can still see parts of myself reflected in my present, even if only a small degree. I also consider it to be nature/nurture with the soul being the wild card as to how we'll react. The experiences of other lives I think is most responsible for our basic attitudes and feelings towards things. Afterall many people born into the exact same circumstances react very differently. My current life has been free of violence fortunately, but I do have strong residual feelings of it from other lives that cannot be accounted for simply by my current life experiences. Under different circumstances I can see myself being a much more violent individual. The best indicator that something is a carryover from a previous personality are the traits you show most prominently from the earliest age, before you had many experiuences in your present life to form your present personality. My main core feature- I almost always clash with every society I'm born into :)

20. Phoenix

Phoenix Forgot to play nice

I'm going to take disagree on this one.

In order to prove that I hadn't been who I remembered being, I focused on personality. I figured that there was no way I would have anything in common with such a monster, other than the expected shared aspects common in all people that John spoke of.

I found that very little of my personality now is original to me. Over 90% of it is inherited from my past self. It's my baggage from my past life from hell.

This includes all of the the things about my personality that I am proud of, as well as the things I don't like to speak of.

Your mileage may vary, but that was enough to convince me that his personality reincarnated along his with memories.

Phoenix