Poems, Epigrams, Etc. Related to Reincarnation

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by SeaAndSky, Sep 1, 2020.

1. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

There is a lot of interesting poetry as well as interesting remarks made by famous people that deal with this subject directly or at least make significant mention of reincarnation. I just thought it might be nice to have a place for people to put down things they find along with a link to where they got it. My first is by John Masefield (1878-1967) (English Poet Laureate, 1930-1967) from https://allpoetry.com/poem/8495881-A-Creed-by-John-Masefield :

A Creed

I hold that when a person dies
    His soul returns again to earth;
    Arrayed in some new flesh-disguise
    Another mother gives him birth.
    With sturdier limbs and brighter brain
    The old soul takes the road again.

Such is my own belief and trust;
    This hand, this hand that holds the pen,
    Has many a hundred times been dust
    And turned, as dust, to dust again;
    These eyes of mine have blinked and shown
    In Thebes, in Troy, in Babylon.

All that I rightly think or do,
    Or make, or spoil, or bless, or blast,
    Is curse or blessing justly due
    For sloth or effort in the past.
    My life's a statement of the sum
    Of vice indulged, or overcome.

I know that in my lives to be
    My sorry heart will ache and burn,
    And worship, unavailingly,
    The woman whom I used to spurn,
    And shake to see another have
    The love I spurned, the love she gave.

And I shall know, in angry words,
    In gibes, and mocks, and many a tear,
    A carrion flock of homing-birds,
    The gibes and scorns I uttered here.
    The brave word that I failed to speak
    Will brand me dastard on the cheek.

And as I wander on the roads
    I shall be helped and healed and blessed;
    Dear words shall cheer and be as goads
    To urge to heights before unguessed.
    My road shall be the road I made;
    All that I gave shall be repaid.

So shall I fight, so shall I tread,
    In this long war beneath the stars;
    So shall a glory wreathe my head,
    So shall I faint and show the scars,
    Until this case, this clogging mould,
    Be smithied all to kingly gold.

Tinkerman, Sarah Jane and Ocean like this.
  2. cloud potato

cloud potato Senior Registered

The Laughing Heart by Charles Bukowski

Tinkerman and SeaAndSky like this.
  3. SeaAndSky

Not all poems related to reincarnation are high-minded and philosophical. As I wandered and searched on the internet, I found many that are like some of the tales told here on this site of love lost and love found and of times no longer right for love. Here are a few lines from a poem like that:

I had known you before, when time was younger
    When mountains were sharper
    When witches were burned and men left to plunder

Those lines were very evocative for me. They seem to remind me of . . . something. The rest of it can be found here:

https://www.elephantjournal.com/2015/02/ive-loved-you-before-a-true-story-of-reincarnation-poem/

Cordially,
    S&S

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  4. Cyrus

Cyrus Senior Member

Hi, guys; hi, S&S:

I don't believe in love across lives.
    I know from my own experience how sweet the PL memories can be, but they are of no use.
    Even if - when in LBL - I meet the soul that interpreted somebody dear to me in a PL, it will never compensate the loss.

I'm even inclined to think that I'll have no desire to have such meetings, when I am in LBL. At least, not in the same perspective, as I see it now, while I'm still incarnated in this life.

We should not mistake reincarnation for a kind of a masquerade, or a theater where we are actors.

When a life ends - to all effects, everything else, all its attributes, end, too.

We should enjoy our dear ones in this life while we can, and be prepared that some day we shall lose them all forever.

IMHO.

Best wishes.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  5. SeaAndSky

Hi Cyrus,

I can't say one way or the other based on my own experience and very sketchy memories. You may be right. However, we have certainly had people on the board that insisted that loves lasting more than one lifetime do exist. One example is Tanguerra, who was a long-time (and well thought of) contributor but has been absent for some time now due to other responsibilities. However, you might want to read her thread about her friend "X" and their long relationship:

http://reincarnationforum.com/threads/my-friend-x.1438/

Is it true or is she deluded? It is a very long thread, but interesting. I'll let you read and decide for yourself.

Cordially,
    S&S

PS--There is also a rather famous case of this type explored in one of Dr. Brian Weiss' books. I'll see if I can find the reference.

Cyrus likes this.
  6. Cyrus

Cyrus Senior Member

Thanks for the valuable info, S&S,

I'll begin studying it as soon as I can.

I don't know what I'll find there. Souls have no gender, and this is one of the most important differences from the incarnated beings, as sex is present almost in any deep relation here on Earth, at least indirectly, as between a father and a son (according to Freud). I just can't see right now, how this can persist on a soul level. But then, I know so little (just like Socrates, IMHO - :)).

Well, no more to say.

Thank you, once again, amigo.

Wish you all the best.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    SeaAndSky likes this.
  7. Speedwell

Speedwell Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Oddly enough I kind of like that metaphor. Even before I began to seriously consider reincarnation, I was already comparing my life to an actor playing a part. At that point in time my difficulty was that I had to ad-lib every scene. It still seems relevant to me now. After all, I'm playing a very different part now to that of a previous life. The current life is just one of many. What is it that persists throughout? I'd use the metaphor of the actor - the one whose real nature is not the same as the role played.

Still, I'm getting a long way from your point, or the subject of this thread. Sorry about that.

Tinkerman and SeaAndSky like this.
  8. SeaAndSky

Hi Speedwell,

I also like the metaphor, though as Cyrus points out, the experience and transformation for the "part" goes far beyond merely a change of costume and an assumed/acted role. Nonetheless, it does have its points.

Hi Cyrus,

When you said, "souls have no gender . . ." you stepped into the middle of a long-running debate on the board that periodically fires up and then dies back down. IMO, gender is a much broader descriptive term than sex, and for disembodied beings could include being "feminine" or "masculine" in overall characteristics other than merely physical characteristics. So, though I don't know for sure, I have supported the "gendered" position, at least as a theoretical possibility. However, others (such as Tanguerra) were/are very much on the other side on that issue.

Cordially,
    S&S

PS--Cross-gender incarnations are allowed under either model, though a great many problems seem to arise for many in this situation.

Speedwell likes this.
  9. Cyrus

Cyrus Senior Member

Hi, S&S:
    In one of Kurt Vonnegut's novels, that I read still being a university student, so I don't remember its title, an alien world is described, where the inhabitants
    are all divided among 5 (five) genders. Some description of their datings is offered there, too.

Now, guess, how the souls including ONLY "feminine" and "masculine" - i.e. with only 2 (two) genders (spiritually, not physically) could incarnate in that kind of worlds.

Yes, I remember some discussion about the possibility of casual mismatches or just alternations (man in this life, woman in the previous) giving origin
    to one's homosexuality, and there was one gay person paticipating in the discussion, who explained that, being gay, he felt his sexuality ("right" or "wrong") didn't come from any spiritual source, but exclusively out of his physical body.

Well, anyways, the sexuality of soul is not so crucial. What really matters, is that when I'm incarnated I'm not 100% equivalent to myself when I'm in LBL (discounting
    the PL memories, amnesia and all that). When I die, not 100% of me will survive. A very important part will be irreversibly lost. And that's what makes all the difference.

I may not choose to embrace the soul of my PL cousin as warmly when we are both in LBL, as if we met in a real life here on Earth. Especially if they told me it's
    the same soul that also acted as my school teacher, or something of the kind. Or my PL mother's soul, which, in the meanwhile, also once was my wife or my sister-in-law or something like that, you know.

Could anybody (here on Earth) treat his wife as a wife, if somebody revealed to him that she was his PL mother or (even worse) his PL father?

See the point?

Best regards.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    SeaAndSky likes this.
  10. SeaAndSky

Some remarks related to reincarnation by Henry Ford (1863-1947), founder of Ford Motor Company:

"I adopted the theory of Reincarnation when I was twenty six. Religion offered nothing to the point. Even work could not give me complete satisfaction. Work is futile if we cannot utilise the experience we collect in one life in the next. When I discovered Reincarnation... time was no longer limited. I was no longer a slave to the hands of the clock... I would like to communicate to others the calmness that the long view of life gives to us."

"For thirty years I have leaned toward the theory of Reincarnation. It seems a most reasonable philosophy and explains many things. No, I have no desire to know what, or who I was once; or what, or who, I shall be in the ages to come. This belief in immortality makes present living the more attractive. It gives you all the time there is. You will always be able to finish what you start. There is no fever or strain in such an outlook. We are here in life for one purpose: to get experience. We are all getting it, and we shall all use it somewhere."

"I believe we are reincarnated. You, I, we reincarnate over and over. We live many lives, and store up much experience. Some are older souls than others and so they know more. It seems to be an intuitive "gift." It is really hard-won experience."

Sometimes this type of insight comes from sources--like Ford or Patton--I might once have considered to be unlikely candidates, teaching me a valuable lesson in doing so.

S&S

11. SeaAndSky

RE: When I die, not 100% of me will survive. A very important part will be irreversibly lost. And that's what makes all the difference.

Hi Cyrus,

I agree. Death is a real ending. As far as I can tell, this body, born of my current parents in a certain cultural and family configuration, time and place, will never happen again. This lifetime with all it has held physically, emotionally, etc. will be over. I will take some non-physical things with me, but it is a real ending. Leaving behind prior memories (as you point out) made it possible. Once I have them back again, everything will be different. When/if I return--everything will once again be different. Each death is a real ending, though not a total ending.

Cordially,
    S&S

Cyrus likes this.
  12. Cyrus

Cyrus Senior Member

I think I'll have to see first that film ("Gallipoli") Tanguerra refers to at the beginnimg of the thread. In Italian it's called "Gli anni spezzati" ["Broken years"], as Gallipoli is also a small town in the South-East of Italy, and it always produces confusions. I have the film already, will see it as soon as I can.

Regards.

SeaAndSky likes this.
  13. Cyrus

Cyrus Senior Member

Hi, S&S:

I've been wondering what meaning the word "real" in your message has, and I think it's "irreversible".

If so, you yourself just confirmed unambiguously my affirmation that no PL relation (e.g., love) can persist (survive) reincarnation.

You must know the term "slicing" familiar to all C++ programmers. When I pass as an argument to a function a variable not of a type it expects, but of a type polymorphically derived (i.e., enriched) from that type, the so called "slicing" occurs, namely, all the data members added in the derived classes are blindly discarded.
    And that's what happens when somebody dies: all atributes acquired during the incarnated life are discarded, "sliced".

So, if I expected to meet in LBL someone I knew more or less intimately in a PL - I'd be dissapointed, because I'd meet instead a kind of a Frankenstein creature, only partially coinciding with whom I expected to meet. All because of this "slicing".

IMHO

Best regards.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  14. SeaAndSky

Hi Cyrus,

C++ was well after my time and far beyond my comprehension at this point. What I was trying to say is that every lifetime is unique and will never be repeated--as far as I can tell. It is a unique combination of who you were coming in, a particular set of genes, upbringing, historical epoch, etc. etc. that will never happen again. However, I do believe that the impact of PLs remain with us and shows itself in feelings perhaps more than anything else. So, while I don't speak to the LBL, it appears that we continue to feel the impact of those prior times and lives when we return, for many people here are impacted in this way (I believe that this includes you as well).

Cordially,
    S&S

Cyrus likes this.
  15. SeaAndSky

Here is one a bit different, though not that different. A poem set to music (= lyrics) which many may know, as it features some famous artists in the "country music" genre in the U.S."--"The Highwayman":

S&S

16. Cyrus

Cyrus Senior Member

PL nostalgia...

17. RedSunshine

RedSunshine Active Member

These are awesome!