Poll: about your view of God

Discussion in 'Reincarnation, Religion and Spirituality' started by AOSpare, Oct 24, 2014.

?

Poll: about your view of God

1. It is a man with white beard

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. It is a sexy woman a godess

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It is a transcendental god, so it has no "looks"

14 vote(s)
    58.3%
  4. There are many deities in my religion (so be more specific)

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. I do not believe in any god or higher power

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. I believe in Nature (or Universe) but that is.

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. KenJ

KenJ Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

DL, your remark reminds me of the book Animal Farm that illustrates what you said very well, I really liked that book and hope that everyone reads it at some point in their life.
    I'm rather surprised at the breadth of people's view of God, from non-existent to plural and being "born of women". The question of whether or not there is an intelligence behind all of this is still being questioned and each of us have created our beliefs based upon our ignorance, instructions and experiences. My thoughts are that if we knew more than we do that our tasks would be less constructive for us.

2. Gnostic Christian Bishop

Gnostic Christian Bishop New Member

If there was an intelligence behind it all, we would not be able to prove it unless that intelligence popped up. Our intelligence tells us that if there was, and it wanted to be relevant to us, it would pop up. Is lack of evidence evidence in and of itself?
    I think so.

Like Intelligent Design, things do look intelligently made, but if evolution was not intelligently working, we would not likely be here to say it was. The revealed religions are here to sell dreams to suckers who want more out of reality than it can give.

The Gnostic Christian view of our design.

Gnostic Christian Jesus said, "Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will reign over all. [And after they have reigned they will rest.]"

"If those who attract you say, 'See, the Kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you.

If they say to you, 'It is under the earth,' then the fish of the sea will precede you.

Rather, the Kingdom of God is inside of you, and it is outside of you.

[Those who] become acquainted with [themselves] will find it; [and when you] become acquainted with yourselves, [you will understand that] it is you who are the sons of the living Father.

But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

As you can see from that quote, if we see God's kingdom all around us and inside of us, we cannot think that the world is anything but evolving perfection. Most just don't see it and live in poverty. Let me try to make you see the world the way I do.

Here is a mind exercise. Tell me what you see when you look around. The best that can possibly be or an ugly and imperfect world?

Candide.
    "It is demonstrable that things cannot be otherwise than as they are; for as all things have been created for some end, they must necessarily be created for the best end.”

That means that we live in the best of all possible worlds, given all the conditions at hand and the history that got us here. That is an irrefutable statement given entropy and the anthropic principle.

Regards
    DL

3. Native Son

Native Son Active Member

Close but no cigar, as they say. The closing conclusion about the best is borrowed (plagiarized) from Plato, obviously. This concept about all being created and arranged for the best were Socrates' very words recorded by Plato in the Phaedo dialogue. And as far as the survey, I would vote for God being a man, only without the beard, if I recall well from my last encounter with God. But to tell you the truth about God is not easy to tell it to all mankind, and only a few previledged can even phatom the essence of God. And unless one is blessed with divine madness, there is no way in hell one can understand God and real existence......and I really mean hell to be our near endless incarnations in the physical world of the five senses.

4. Gnostic Christian Bishop

Gnostic Christian Bishop New Member

Arranged, I would not agree with as natures works is inadvertent and arranged would have a sentient mind behind it to form a pattern. At least the way I use the term.

For the rest, it is obvious and irrefutable.

Was Socrates looking at the whole world?

I will give you the God part if you are talking about some supernatural entity. We cannot know if such even exists let alone what it would think, or if it thinks.

I define God as the best set of rules and laws to live life by and those can be understood.

tell us of a couple of things you do not understand and if not in the supernatural realm, those might be understandable after some dialog.

Regards
    DL

5. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

To me GOD is Light, an omnipresence we just don't have words for. He is the wyrd, or vibration.

6. Native Son

Native Son Active Member

If my deductive and inductive reasoning is indeed divine madness, then I will assert that Socrates knew God best, and therefore Socrates was referring to all that exists, existed, and will exist, or as some class it, the world...or universe, or multi-verse, etc.

As far as arrangement, and order of precedence for the universe, mind comes first, and therefore all is arranged for the best by the best mind...God. it really takes a weak mind and a faulty concluion to believe that order comes from disorder, when disorder is believed to be the state in which existence began. I WILL ALLOW, that the physical universe appears to have "began" in disorder, and thereby, apparently, becoming more orderly, due to being constantly under the laws of nature, which are absolute. These laws were set in motion by the ultimate and absolute intelligence...God. The very proof of a pattern, and a logical one at that, is all that is needed to accept that the universe is orderd by intelligence and therefore it has scope...in other words, it is patterned after the best, and for the best. But apparently some nostics don't understand the meaning of the best, nor patterns, nor chaos, which is the opposite of order and pattern, as a pattern is the meaning of order. One can predict the future if the pattern is understood, as patterns repeat, whereas disorder cannot be predicted, obviously. Without order and patterns in the universe, how can you claim to understand that you originated in another part of the universe? How can one recognize directions in a world of disorder? A direction is valid only in an orderly universe. Granted, the physical universe is always in flux, but it is ever changing under the orderly universal physical laws, which change can be predicted as far as direction and time.

7. Native Son

Native Son Active Member

Since God is everything possible, God can be whatever anyone cares to or imagines to be....there is no wrong answer, as to what and who God is. Only that, those who really know God, those very few whom God chooses to reveal himself to now, know that God is much more than what any religion or science makes God out to be. In fact, God goes well beyond good and evil. Another fact is tbat, in reality, we all know God more intimately than we can realize in our present state of mind......we all are made to forget who we really are, and for good reasons. It will all be made clear when we will all fully and suddenly "awake", as in a twinkling of an eye.

KenJ likes this.
  8. magdalene le morvan

magdalene le morvan New Member

I have had an experience which convinced me there was 'something' and that it was trying to look after me. and everyone else. That doesn't preclude me from awful experiences while I am here. I think it also gave me the message to try and be of service to those around me, nothing grand, just try and help if i could and don't if I can't, as some people you can't help as they are going through something that is none of your business connected to their incarnation, I regularly chat to "it" sometimes pretty bluntly and that is ok. I usually ask for guidance and healing wisdom and that sort of stuff or I just have a grumble and a whine about how hard done by I am lol. I get very confused by biblical books and think that they are gods word corrupted by humans. You can actually just talk straight to the source, I tried to live by the motto do no harm but I don't think you can get out of this world without a few scrapes and you are going to hurt and offend people all the time so just get on with life and don't worry about it so much.

GreyReynard and KenJ like this.
  9. Graham76man

Graham76man Senior Member

Here's what I think is most religions belief of a god. Which proves 100% that there is a God. However they just don't know the truth! As the GOD they believe in is the SUN.
    It started many centuries ago when an Egyptian king (Akhenaten) decided there was only ONE TRUE GOD. All the other Egyptian Gods were nothing. The true God was to him the Sun. He forced all the other Egyptians to worship this one true God. Casting aside other gods. For this God shone his light on everyone. Nor could you look upon the face of this god.
    Unfortunately the Egyptians resented Akhenaten getting shut of the other gods. Eventually they turned on him and got rid of him. And then set up about restoring the other gods back to the status they had before. They also removed any trace of the worship of Akhenaten and the Sun God from monuments and temples. However they couldn't remove the idea of the one true god from some of the people, who resorted to worshipping it in secret, as the authorities tried to suppress the god's worship. Thousand's of years passed and the one true god worship became a religion of the one true god, it also became so secretive that the real meaning of the god (being the sun) was lost and all that was left, was the one true god and that "he" shines his light on us all, plus you can't look at the face of god.
    As Egypt was full of slaves, they latched on to the idea of the one true God, since it was frowned upon by authority. And if your are a slave anything they don't like must have some merit!
    Still nobody had any idea about Akhenaten and his one true God, till Napoleon was hunting around in Egypt and discovered a lost city of Akhenaten. It was full of all the stuff that was in the Bible about God, but with one exception. It showed that one true god as the Sun.
    Even the Christen saying God, the son and the holy ghost, are connected to this Egyptian. The Sun, - God, the Son, Akhenaten himself, he believed he was the "son of the Sun". The Moon being the "holy ghost".
    When you think about it this explains why religions don't like the night.