Question About Body-Choosing Theory

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by sunflower, Jan 21, 2019.

1. sunflower

sunflower Member

Firstly, hello! I'm new here! I don't consider myself an expert on past lives, however, I do know a little bit. I've seen people discussing the theory that you get to choose the body that they're reincarnated into. Also, I'd like to state that I'm not trying to discredit this theory or anything like that; I'm simply curious and attempting to better understand it.

My question is, why would someone intentionally choose a body that is going to be subjected to a difficult life (or at least more severely difficult than others)? Is it so that they can learn a lesson? What lesson could be learned from a child who dies at the age of three or four or from a teenager who is horrifically murdered? Does your spirit not know the entirety of what their new life will entail or do you already know what you're signing up for? I've lurked on Reddit for probably too long and have gleaned that some people remember being aware of what their next life would fully entail while others only remember knowing certain details. I wasn't sure which one was more common but only knowing certain details about your next life would make more sense to me. (please let me know though because, as I said, I'm not an expert.)

I guess my question stems from the fact that I'm severely disabled and am trying to come to terms with it... I hate living this way which is made even more difficult by the fact that so many people with disabilities seem to be ok with it and even proud of it which I just don't get. Maybe this isn't the place to search for answers but I think it would help knowing that I picked this body for a reason and that I wasn't just born this way.

2. Thyme

Thyme Active Member

Welcome to the forum!

Personally, I remember that I chose my body. Specifically I had four options where I saw an overview. I'm not an expert either, but I think the way to explain some unfortunate events is simply the overview. In my experience, it was like enrolling in a university. I could see the subjects, however, when I arrived to study on my first day, those subjects were more complicated and specific.

To be honest, in this life I had to be blind. I remember that one of those four options was the option of: Woman. 1998. Parents in an unstable economic situation. Blindness. My blindness would be caused by an accident when I was fourteen years old.

When I was fourteen I had an accident in my mother's car. If I had been sitting in the first seat, the shards of glass would have impacted my eyes and face. I don't know why I thought about sitting in the back seats that day. Just in my head I always had the feeling that I would be blind in my current life, even though now I have no problem with my vision. I don't know, but I had chosen to be blind for some reason. Now I don't remember what that reason was.

I always have the habit of closing my eyes. I always try to touch things with my eyes closed or when I am in a public place I have sunglasses because I close my eyes constantly for many minutes. When I was a little girl I used to say to my mother: I don't want to grow up because I know I won't see your face as clearly as I do now. At that time I was five years old. Being blind is not a wonderful thing for me, obviously, I think it's innate or involuntary what happens to me knowing that in this life I chose to have that "disability.

Answering your questions:

why would someone intentionally choose a body that is going to be subjected to a difficult life (or at least more severely difficult than others)? Well, I think it's a new experience. In some past life I was deaf, but I increased another side of myself. Honestly, I think "disabilities" make you increase other different abilities. In my past life as a deaf person, I learned many things that I would never have learned if I had the ability to hear. This doesn't justify some unfair situations, or anything like that. I can't say for sure that a difficult life means a miracle.

I don't believe in lessons (Again, personal opinion) I believe in boredom or the desire to experience a different situation. When I chose to be blind in this life, I had a general vision. That is, I knew I would be blind. If it didn't happen, it was because I decided to sit in a different seat in the car.

I send you good vibes and a big hug.

3. landsend

landsend Senior Registered

Interesting post and question. This is something I've been thinking about, too.

There is no straight forward answer. There are myriad answers to why we might be drawn to a certain life over another, many of which won't be known consciously by us down here. In fact, when you start to look at how intricately our lives are woven with others, and how certain events play out, you come to appreciate how we down here are of a very limited intelligence.

If you are able to recall some of your past lives you might see a pattern begin to emerge which might help you answer that question about why you were drawn to your current life and circumstances. I personally don't believe it is fully choice, rather a mixture of both choice and compulsion. And the more compulsion we have to certain circumstances is probably due to the severity of a experience that we need to learn within a current lifetime.

I'll give an example. Prior to my last lifetime that I recall, I had a very short life of a boy called Jozef/Yosef. He was born into a well to do Jewish family prior to the outbreak of the War. That seems to be a very good circumstance on paper. My family were loving, and I seemed happy in my early memories. Then, of course, World War Two happened, Poland was invaded, me and my family were forced away and I lost my life at a very young age. The unjustness of that circumstance carried with me, and I was born into my next life after a pretty fast incarnation. There was a lot of compulsion there. My next life was a boy in America. One of my earliest memories in that life was seeing the soldiers parade downtown following Victory for Allied forces. It left such an impression in my young self (my young self who was very restless and a bit of a trouble maker) that I set it in my heart from that day I would be a soldier. Long story short, I had a life of war, captivity and tragedy which resulted in my death. Such a life was full of experience, very rich, very difficult.

My compulsion and choice following that was to be in a life that would not be in war, far from war. I also wanted to hide from my pain. My current life has allowed me to do that to some extent for the past twenty-odd years.

I think this also demonstrates that no life is too short, nor wasted. Everything has its purpose.

4. Totoro

Totoro Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Hi sunflower! I think we look at lives with pain and suffering with abject horror. Such a thing seems unconscionable. I've read quite a few books and stories though that seem to suggest that "bad" lives aren't always a punishment. Perhaps a person who was poorly treated in a hospital wanted to know what it felt like to be a patient so that the experience could make them a better doctor in their next life, who advocates for patient's rights.

Choosing a life may not necessarily be about karma and having to be taught a lesson, many time more I'd wager to think, they are simply one part of an individual's path and life's (and live's plan). We simply don't know the person in question and the circumstances of their lives, so it's often unfair to speculate or pass judgement.

I know it can be hard not to look at reincarnation and suffering through a lens of divine punishment, as many religions can teach. I like to think along the lines of the people who think that God is working through people who choose willingly to serve others.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  5. Sherri Zimmerman

Sherri Zimmerman New Member

I believe I chose my disability of this life not just because of the personal life experience it would give me but because I also saw the NEED to help other people who were so-called mentally ill and changes were greatly needed in mental facilities.

I have spent half of THIS life in and out of mental facilities.

I have had to stand up for many people being abused. I've been mildly abused myself.

I've written two mental health books in THIS lifetime. Success After Insanity and Mental Illness and the Psychic Connection.

I had the perfect family again in this lifetime to prepare me. Major domestic violence between my parents only. As well as a huge support system by all of them when I began having breakdowns for 35 years.

I have heard that those who choose disabilities for a lifetime are actually excelerating their souls learning experiences. It a crash course to evolving... I feel this is correctly stated.

When I was 9, Mother Mary appeared in my bedroom for a moment. I'm working on the book for this story right now and why I believe she did...

Thanks for letting me share and thank you for choosing your disability so we may all understand what it might be like.

I've been Blessed to see at least 4 other lifetimes...

Peace...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Peace of mind and sunflower like this.
  6. There and back again

There and back again Senior Member

This is partly why I like to call the other side where a spirit either by choice or coercion is forced to except extremes with the guise of karma or lessons ect where one picks the hard ones hubris because one most just leap into it (figure of speech) and second by going to extremes it does away with balance for which many end up failing the lessons or at the least making a mess of things.

7. sunflower

sunflower Member

Thank you everyone for your answers! I really appreciate all of your input and I definitely have a lot to think about now.

I have done past life regression once with a lady who did it as her job (not sure what she referred to herself as) and I remembered three past lives. In the first, I was a teenager with a little sister in the 1970s or 60s. It was the vaguest of the three but I sensed that our parents died from something drug-related (herion?) and I was left to take care of my sister, who funnily enough, resembled my sister now but that's all I could remember. The second was the clearest and I could actually recall my entire life up until I died of old age. I won't go into too much detail because, honestly, it wasn't that interesting but it was during the 1800s somewhere in Europe. My husband was an explorer of some kind but died overseas. I was left with two sons who later moved away and I could no longer see them much. It was a very lonely, distraught life and also the only regression where I actually felt emotions. In the last past life, I was a British soldier of some high ranking and died during war from a gunshot.

The lady asked me what I thought the theme or lesson from these lives were and I said that I was always alone. Now I'm thinking maybe I choose this life so that I'd always have someone. Due to my disability, I require 24/7 care and literally cannot be by myself. It's kind of ironic though because even with people constantly around me, I still feel lonely.

Kenz1010 likes this.
  8. Klaud

Klaud Senior Member

I often think empathy is probably part of the reason we choose certain things in our new bodies that pose a challenge. When everything is going a little too well, we don't learn anything. The more you understand about different kinds of struggles, the more you can connect with others that may be experiencing the same thing. It can be a good learning tool, as well as an exercise in adapting to new challenges.

There's really no one good answer to that question, unfortunately. Based on what I've been able to piece together, there is a sort of preplanned outline for our lives that we create, but they're subject to change. Like an improvised movie script or something.

sunflower likes this.
  9. Li. La.

Li. La. Guest

I don't remember at all, wish I would have : ) I think any disability is there to show a form of vulnerability, what it is like when one wants to do something but can't. It is also to teach others and give them the chance to be more good, I think. And that this can happen to anyone. This is of course just my thoughts on it. I've had short flashbacks in meditation that for the short amount of time it was I was this strong built energetic young man who clearly perhaps had no idea what it was like to not be like that. Afterwards I could not help but laugh. This young man had smiled in a flirtatious manner to another girl (I'm a girl in this life), and he just had guts. I felt as if I could move mountains as this man. I've been temporarily injured in this life, it was later healed, and during this time the limits are frustrating and makes you feeling low. Maybe I had to know what it was like to be like this in order to teach "the old me", the strong man; what that was like, this of course does not have to apply to you at all. Maybe the answer will come to you through meditation?

sunflower likes this.
  10. sunflower

sunflower Member

That's definitely interesting to hear about! I've actually never mediated before. I mean, I've tried it but my brain is super active and I had a hard time focusing. I wasn't really sure what I was supposed to be doing anyway and, honestly, it kind of freaked me out? I don't know, it's probably silly but I think it has something to do with being so vulnerable. (I watch too many of those stupid ghost shows.)

Do you have any suggestions or tips?

I agree with your first paragraph for sure. Having this disability has definitely made me wiser and probably kinder as well.

I know a lot of people, including my family, believe that everything happens for a reason, that our lives our somewhat pre-planned. What do you mean when you say "from what I've pieced together"? I'm not quite sure what I believe so it'd be interesting to know your experiences/thoughts. :)

11. Li. La.

Li. La. Guest

Yes, it used to freak me out as well but then as I did it more often I got less so and now I know it's safe. On most part when I've done it I have fallen asleep, so I have failed at it many, many times; but it has also worked. I've learned that I am more successful at it when waking up in the morning (when ever I'm free that is and don't feel I need to stress), and then I put it on (you tube). What works for me so far is "Beginner Past Life Regression Hypnosis Guided w Instructions" by BlueSkyhypnosis. I've read that "Brian Weiss Past Life Regression" works for a lot of people. You can listen to the audio tape before doing it so you know everything that will be asked, if that will make you feel more safe - it has worked for me. For me it depends how deep I go as for how tired I will be afterwards. One time I experienced being "Laura" (New Zealand, 1908) and got really tired afterwards, but then it wore off. When I have reached meditation state in a lighter state than that I have still experienced things but have gotten less emotionally involved and seen less as well. I've learned that afterwards it is like the door is not fully closed and one will experience remembering more from that life before it shuts completely. I'm one of those who since early age remembering what is most probably a past life ("Anna") and so that door has always been more or less open. From what I've understood the door closes when one is around 7 but around that time I was moving about in the same area as past life me did - so instead it got stronger. I would love to master self meditation but so far I think I need more practice. If you are nervous (and I understand if you are as I was that way too) you could perhaps ask someone you trust to be with you in the room whilst you are listening to a meditation regression audio. Wish you best of luck :)

sunflower likes this.
  12. Jim78

Jim78 Probationary

I said it before but a friends relative is severely disabled. He asked me one day what kind of God would put him through that when he never did any harm to anyone. I said maybe he put himself through that to teach others unconditional love so from that perspective maybe he is giving to others selflessly...maybe he's a hero.

SeaAndSky likes this.
  13. landsend

I find it hard to believe that God would punish anyone in that way, maybe test, yes, but punish? I hate to take the moral high ground since I'm not physically disabled myself, but I've suffered with pretty debilitating mental health problems most my life. Most of the time I realise there is no real answer. It just is. It is as it is. Nor do I think that there is a lesson to learn -- a lesson to learn implies I'm punishing myself for something 'bad' I've done. But our physical/mental condition can shape our life, and in shaping our life provide us with certain experiences. But fundamentally, everything is just as it is, my life is, much the same as the next life. And no life is greater, or lesser than another. Compassion grows as we realise that, I suppose.

glia21, sunflower and Jim78 like this.
  14. KenJ

KenJ Moderator Emeritus

That struck me as an uncommon thought, not that it isn't valid, just different than mine. I seldom associate Lesson with Punishment, I'm sitting here wondering what could be so different in our lives to see this so differently? Is it because I'm trying to justify my disabilities? Is it something you associate with the hardships you face? Or, was it because I spent so much of my life in classrooms?

15. Jim78

Jim78 Probationary

I agree with Ken. I don't think a lesson implies being punished. Its just that some lessons are more difficult than others IMO.

16. Klaud

Klaud Senior Member

I've done a lot of poking around in my own soul, reading about other people's experiences, as well as some bits from reputable psychics. Most of them have implied something to that effect, although how our lives end up is open to interpretation.

17. landsend

For me it’s because I’ve spent much of my life castigating myself, carrying tremendous guilt and pain. ‘This is my lesson’ I’ve said to myself. All that thought does to me personally is make me go around with slumped shoulders and feel hard done by the world. It implies a sense of guilt and wrongness. I don’t feel it’s the same thing as the lesson you learn in a classroom, but maybe the sort of lesson a stern father warns his son when he places a foot wrong, ‘I’m going to teach you a lesson, boy.’

On the other hand saying to myself ‘this experience enables me to widen my view’ I don’t feel that same negativity.

It might seem they are one and the same thing, but one implies guilt and wrongness, the other does not.

I’m not saying it’s the case for everyone, but for me that particular wording was just another excuse to carry the pain and guilt on my shoulders instead of seeing my situation in a positive light.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Peace of mind likes this.
  18. glia21

glia21 Explorer

I think from the outside it´s a different point of view on the decision what your next life will be like. I think it´s possible that some hurry to return for whatever reason, some are certainly more drawn to the various experiences on earth than others. Some might long to see friends again and choose some inconveniences in order be born at the right time and place. Some may wait longer and still choose a difficult body/mind.
    I do think one has some influence on this decision though.

What you can do is meditate on the question and maybe receive an answer, to me this seems to be the most practical way to explore things. Something I learned in this life is that there is usually no wise man (or woman) coming along answering your FAQs though I would badly need one too. But I guess I´d doubt his or her answers anyway. ;-)

Peace of mind, KenJ and Li. La. like this.
  19. Li. La.

Li. La. Guest

I just thought of "What does not kill you make you stronger" phrase. I think that perhaps sometimes strong spirits (advanced ones) take on a more difficult task than someone else would have in order to grow, just like math class - some takes the more difficult one...;) Also life can really shift; One moment life is difficult, the next easy :)

landsend and glia21 like this.
  20. landsend

I can’t help but think when I hear that phrase — yes but what if it does kill you, does it make you stronger then?

I’m dealing with left behind pain and unresolved issues that do not originate in my present life and do not even make sense in my current life, yet they have shaped my current life irreversibly. Deliberating mental health issues are the result. I don’t know who I am anymore and do not know what I am doing. When I look in the mirror I feel horrified. When I look at my body equally so. Half the time I don’t even feel I’m living this life, merely surviving from day to day.

Peace of mind likes this.
  21. Li. La.

Li. La. Guest

God, I'm sorry. You probably feel this way because right now you sit in the middle of the stuff, but things do change even if one does not feel it and you will change too. I have crashed and burned in this life as well and did not think it would be possible to survive but I did, but also with help and we all need help now and then, and we are all here to help out I think. Also even the toughest soldiers need to rest once in a while, right?. You could try meditation and/or going to a psychiatrist, you have to keep trying. Rest and keep trying. Wishing you the best.

22. glia21

glia21 Explorer

Hi li.la - like me landsend is dealing with gender issues combined with very vivid & disturbing pl memories, its difficult to get help at this point from the outside. No psychiatrist, therapist or psychologist (i'm one myself) would know how to help. Furthermore there are open questions and other issues and like me landsend is very eager to work certain things out. At this point its a challenge to get in terms with the body you chose (in case we had influence on that decision at all). Took me decades to relax upon this topic a bit and still sometimes there are drawbacks. Its good to exchange opinions on this forum though, am really more than grateful for that.
    Regards.

Peace of mind, Li. La. and landsend like this.
  23. landsend

I just want to point out that I am getting help, both medically and from the mental health services (it remains to be seen if they will be helpful). I’m also part of a trans support group and the folks there have similar issues. Just knowing that helps.

But you know, am willing to try anything at this current time. Meditation is a practice I’ve been doing since a teen, unfortunately with three little kids the times to set aside for myself are few and far between.

Peace of mind and Li. La. like this.
  24. Li. La.

Li. La. Guest

Ok, now I understand things better, that is from the limit view from where I stand. I'm sorry there is no better help out there at this point, but good to know that the forum has worked as some type of support. Wanna send you both hugs of strength (as they say where I'm from).