Question about progress.

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by JayBee, Jul 12, 2018.

1. JayBee

JayBee New Member

This question is for anybody who feels like they may have some insight on it...I've developed a concern, lol....its recently occurred to me that althoughI have become very interested in spiritual growth and progress, and CURRENTLY the progress I'm making is due to my efforts (and other influences), at the time I discovered the esoteric path and spiritual awakening, I discovered it pretty much by chance, I was lucky enough to be exposed to it, and just as easily under different circumstances could have never been exposed to it at all. So my question is, when i die, does spiritual strength, conviction, belief, awareness, progress, somehow carry into my next life? Or in my next life, do I pretty much start from scratch, and even worse become even more oblivious than in this life, and possibly never even develop an interest..... also, is there a way to make it more likely that my progress would carry over into the next life?

2. SeekerOfKnowledge

SeekerOfKnowledge Learner

Very interesting question. I am wondering myself, sometimes...
    Hopefully, a lesson once learned we won't have to learn again, so that once you have reached a certain "spiritual level" it would carry over or you will choose an environment suitable for spiritual growth.
    But who really knows...

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

JayBee likes this.
  3. JayBee

JayBee New Member

Thank you! I've always considered reincarnation as a possibility, but recently realized that i believe in reincarnation more than, "one and done" (I guess you'd call it)...I am for the first time today reading about the idea that we have control over choosing aspects of our next life.... that would make a huge difference in this question

4. SeekerOfKnowledge

SeekerOfKnowledge Learner

There is a belief that we choose our lives depending on what we need to learn or experience on soul level so that we may grow. Makes sense to me. Definitely helps a lot to overcome hardships or weltschmerz... thinking that it is just a temporary state and a lesson to be learned.

JayBee likes this.
  5. fireflydancing

fireflydancing just a fly in the sky Staff Member Super Moderator

Hi JayBee,

Welcome to this forum.
    It is not easy to give an answer to this.
    We know nothing for sure. In my opinion we carry things with us but it is not sure that experience from one life appear again in the very next life. I've got this feeling, and maybe it is only appliable to my case, that there are several lines through my past lives. When I am in the flow of a certain line, I cannot reach the memories of the other lines. LetÅ› give them colors. Now I am in the blue line and I can only remember 'blue lives'. Maybe next life, I'll jump into the white line and I'll be able to remember and use the skills of my 'white lives'. Call them clusters if you want. To make it more concrete: I cannot remember lives in which I went to battle, I have no violent memories at all. At least two honest people told me I was with them on a battlefield. It's blank in my head.

To answer your question: I think when you die, you'll leave behind all the words and you take with you your experiences.

AlexD and JayBee like this.
  6. JayBee

JayBee New Member

That's another interesting thing... the idea that out of the countless millions of people that exist in time... we can actually meet people that have known us in past lives, is just SUCH a cooincidence. I think would have to indicate that smaller groups of souls are kept close on purpose by either another force, or by as an effort between themselves.... kind of the same way groups of friends in our world might decide to repeatedly take classes, or enlist in the military, together, as a group.

Cat1965 and Spirit Sword like this.
  7. Spirit Sword

Spirit Sword Senior Registered

That is what I was taught and that is what my experience tends to show. My current best friend was such on several past occasions. Another of our friends was my brother in a past life and all three of us worked together.

"Progress" seems a little more difficult to keep. After all, each of us develops amnesia when we come into a new life. But there are new things for us to learn in each experience, even if it does seem like taking a step backwards. And everything learned remains in the subconscious. Certain inclinations, preferences, ways of thinking, talents, can all be traced back to experiences from the past, even if we are not aware of it.

I am guessing that you are anxious about the possibility of not coming around to your current way of thinking in future incarnations. Who knows where your soul will go in the future or what will be useful to its growth? But if you learn something once, it becomes much easier to learn the second time around. And if something resonates with your soul, it is very likely you will attract it. In my experience, very few things are truly the result of "chance".

Kalos, fireflydancing and JayBee like this.
  8. baro-san

baro-san Senior Member

What you perceive now as progress, may, or may not, be progress from a higher perspective.

Most of us don't / can't really know what progress, from a higher perspective, is. Probably we acquire incorrect beliefs. We don't really know why we incarnate, and keep reincarnating, even if we form an opinion,

Look at how many different "truths" are in the world, and how people kill each other in the name of their "truth"! Does it make sense to come here, from a place of love, to learn to love? Does it make sense to incarnate here to live as an ascetic, isolated from the world around you? These sound unlikely to me, as many various religious precepts do; new age included.

Definitely your thoughts, your emotions, your actions, your life, leave a mark on your soul development. So you can be sure that whatever changes you get through now, that you believe to be "progress", have an effect in the bigger scheme of things, but if that's good, or less good, for your next step, your next life, you'll have to wait to find out. Keep some reservations before fully committing your faith!

9. fireflydancing

fireflydancing just a fly in the sky Staff Member Super Moderator

JayBee,
    What do you call spiritual progress? I would really like to know.

JayBee likes this.
  10. JayBee

JayBee New Member

Good question. I guess I used way more words than I needed to...I guess what I meant by progress, is just, how many worldly pleasures I am able to both identify, and eliminate from my life in order to make room for more "spiritual" matters or to focus on bettering myself (morally). And also being able to grow more and more interested in doing so. I would identify becoming less interested in this pursuit, to be a lack of progress

Cat1965 likes this.
  11. JayBee

JayBee New Member

Also I would identify progress as an increasing ability to follow intuition, and as Learning... which yes is questionable, because who really knows if anything is true, but i personally believe you intuitively feel when something is worth learning.

12. Kalos

Kalos Senior Registered

(The more I read these forums, the more I'm being impressed by the maturity, kindness and civilized manner in which discussions are held. Even more, almost each and every post I read adds something positive and makes me wonder and ponder, which is definitely a good thing. But compliments aside :) here's what I wanted to say on the issue)

I agree with many and can't reject any of what is said above. Specifically on what the OP asked though "..Or in my next life, do I pretty much start from scratch, and even worse become even more oblivious than in this life.." a spiritual teacher I respect told a story once, along these lines:

Let's have a thought experiment, we visit an elementary school and ask the kids in 2nd grade how they think a volcano works. We will get various fictitious and funny answers, like dragons breathing underneath the surface and such. Then we ask children in the 6th grade and about half of them will get it marginally correct. Then we move on to high school students and almost everyone knows the answer. To keep it sort, when we ask people with geology degrees, they will just laugh and wonder what kind of a joke this is.

Should we suppose that 2nd graders are 100% idiots, high schoolers 50-50 and university graduates extremely smart? How about when someone from this same 2nd grade gets his geology Doctoral degree, did he get smarter while growing up? No, he just has been around longer. He got his lessons. Around as in school in that case, around as in life(lives) in the case of someone who kills kittens for fun in his life No3" and can't even stand the thought in his "life No42". Simplified but the message gets through I guess.

I trust you do carry over your spiritual growth, so to speak. It's hard(er) for someone to kill any living creature after witnessing death first hand, be it killing or being killed, for example. Even if one doesn't consciously remember, lesson is learned. He will never suppose it's a fire breathing dragon again. I like to believe this is how it works.

13. baro-san

baro-san Senior Member

At some point in my life I asked myself:

Why am I here? What am I supposed to do? What should I do to matter?
    Why are we here? What are we supposed to do? What should we do to matter?
    I tried to rationalize the answers. It was impossible, but that started my quest to find out.

In time, some vague answers came to me; then they began shaping up: firstly to the "we" questions, then to the "I" ones.

I read a lot; I browsed forums; I was influenced by some authors, then by others; I had some experiences; I started to pay attention to things I ignored before; I formed opinions, then I adjusted them. After I discovered hypnotic regression, then self-hypnosis, I had verification for some of the answers I had already gleaned, and found more answers . Some answers were unexpected, but then made sense.

Things seem much clearer now, and I'm continuing my quest to understand more, and to put into practice the answers I got. Looking back to my path so far, I have the feeling that, once started, information popped up in my way at the right time, exactly when I needed it, serendipitously. I see also past moments when I was offered knowledge, but I didn't pay attention to it, or I misunderstood it.

JayBee likes this.
  14. JayBee

JayBee New Member

Yeah there's a lot that I'm realizing now (and can't believe I didn't realize) while talking about this, that i didn't initially think about, until talking about it... so this is good

fireflydancing and Kalos like this.
  15. Cat1965

Cat1965 Senior Registered

Baro-San...please enlighten us with answers to your questions "
    Why am I here? What am I supposed to do? What should I do to matter?
    Why are we here? What are we supposed to do? What should we do to matter?

16. Cat1965

Cat1965 Senior Registered

i agree with you completely...all the excess in our societies are a disgrace from a moral stand-point when there is so much suffering. And moral values seem to be on the decline from what i observe sadly...we all should be living in tiny houses and focusing on being kind to one-another and saving the oceans and animals rather that this Macho ego game the rulers play. And than it dribbles down and people want to emulate that because that is what they see all day....

17. baro-san

baro-san Senior Member

You seem angry, and having your mind set. You aren't looking for enlightenment here, but for an argument. I'm not available for that. Anyway, if you're genuinely interested or curious enough, you can browse my posts.

18. Spirit Sword

Spirit Sword Senior Registered

The upper portion of society has always lived like that. As someone who made a several century career out of trying to knock them down a step, I believe I can safely say that there will always be people like that and others to swoop in after they are gone. Greed is a part of Earth's culture, it is not new, and it will take quite a long span of time and widespread effort to eliminate it.

SeekerOfKnowledge and Kalos like this.