Questions regarding Past Life Regression (merged)

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by LadyCat, Aug 5, 2003.

1. LadyCat

LadyCat Senior Registered

I've been interested in this topic for a long long time. As has my husband. :) I've been contemplating getting a past live regression done, but I would far prefer going to someone recommended by others rather than taking potluck of the cold call.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone knows of any past life regression therapists (I think thats what they're called) in the Mesa, Arizona area that they'd recommend, I'd greatly appreciate your help.

In the mean time, I shall continue the very interesting reading at this site - I'm glad I followed the link. :)

Edit: Oh, thought I should add, I have had no past live memories of any sort. I do however have an active imagination, a love for Egypt, cats, and computer games with a medieval feel. FWIW.

2. Susie

Susie Dreamer-former moderator

Welcome Ladycat!

Here is the directory of past life regressionists through IARRT, the International Associations for Regression Research and Therapies- I am sure you will be able to find someone in your area.
    But, how do you know that your "active imagination" is not memories coming to the surface? Perhaps your love of Egypt, cats and medieval games are indicators of a past life during a certain era.

I would encourage you to not discard anything and to write journal your likes, dislikes, favorite foods, clothing, architecture, etc because these can all stem from past lives.

3. Susie

Susie Dreamer-former moderator

A great book is Past Lives, Present Dreams by Denise Linn. By the time you are done reading, you will realize that what you call your active imagination and storytelling are most likely memories coming to the surface.

You know authors who write historical novels...or westerns....or ones from a different ear (but not necessarily the historical genre)- I can bet you a lot of the material comes from past lives, they just don't know it.

:D :D :D :D

4. elaine sullivan

elaine sullivan Senior Registered

Can Regression Be Harmful?

Has there ever been a case of a past life regression harming a persons psyche instead of healing it? When I was 3 turning 4 I had a spontaeous past life memory of being a boy named John who died at the age of 4 as a result from playing with his fathers power tools. I was terrorfied to turn 4 and I can still to this day (25 years later ) remember that fear. I am now wondering if a past life regression may help with some of the fears I have had throughout my life. But I'm concerned that it may be harmful for me to revisit that time. I get scared VERY easily and if I see something disturbing I will replay that vision over and over in my mind until I'm scared out of my wits!! Is there a possibility that i could get so freaked out that i cause more damage to my psyche? Thanks for any insight you may have

Elaine

5. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Steve and Carol have a page posted on this website all about regressions. The following is what Steve posted and the link is in his post.

Does regression really work?

On that page they talk about what to expect and the procedure. ;)

6. Feech

Feech Senior Registered

Question for those who have been regressed

Hi all,

I have a question for people who have remembered spontaneously or during "regular" thoughts or in dreams, and then also have regressed themselves or been regressed: If you've had memories of past lives or what you feel are past lives in dreams or waking thoughts, have the same lives come up in regression? Has there been a difference in the lives that appear when you're hypnotizing yourself, using a tape, using a friend to help you, or using a professional? I used that free online regression site once, but I didn't let it completely take over because I'm nervous about regression. In that short semi-regressed session, I got some facts about a life I had recalled briefly before, when awake and thinking about possible past lives. Do any of you think that regression is a "more complete" form of the same state of mind one is in when "just thinking about" past lives?

7. Deborah

Great questions Feech.

YES - My memories are consistent with the time in history, the culture and as they apply to me as an individual in a past life. In other words..I do not see myself as a black man in one regression and then a black woman the next. Always -the personality, the DEEP feelings for the time and place surface. The emotional content cannot be faked...it is SO DEEP it is shocking. At least for me.

If you take away the terms - the bottom line is to enter a deep altered state of consciousness...shifting levels of awarensss - the realization can happen -anytime, anyplace. For most people - this means a focused meditation or regression of some sort though. :)

8. LadyCat

LadyCat Senior Registered

In my past life regression I remembered two lives:

1) Life as a native american teenage girl (name something like Shouna). I committed suicide (by freezing to death in the snow) as penance for having let (through inattention) my younger brother break his leg (I was minding him) and die from a resulting infection. I'm not certain of the time period of this, except it was pre-white man and was located in an area similar to the mountains of British Columbia.

2) A farmer who in Poland (James or a name like it?) who worked a farm with my younger brother (my husband in present life). I never married but my younger brother did, and his daughter is my current life Mum. (I told my mum this and now she always tells me to 'say "HI" to Dad when I talk to her on the phone. :) ) I died of old age on the farm. A peaceful life. :)

Edited: The time period on this is 1836 or so. I feel this was the time period of my death (at 96 yrs old). Looking at my cowboy life below I believe this life was most likely the one preceeding the cowboy life.

Since the regression I've recieved snippets of a few other past lives:

3) A young boy (7 or so) in Victorian or earlier London. A street urchin with bare dirty feet and wearing rags, a feeling of being miserable and cold. I think my dislike of pictures of a sooty London come from this lifetime. I don't get the feeling it was a happy life, but do feel it was a short one.

4) A cowboy in the USA/Canada in mid 1800s (edit: by this I mean around 1850-70 - for some reason saying 1900's for years starting 18xx has never felt right heh). I have dreamed of my death at the hands of another by being shot in the back in a saloon. (The shooter I link to someone I have met at my last job - his presence and my deep seated 'irrational' reaction to him triggered the PL memory/dream).

I have also noticed a few more things that I believe are related to Past lives:

a) the feeling that any male in a uniform (especially blue) with a cap is arrogant and conceited.

b) the distinct knowledge of what a bullet feels like when it enters your flesh (I've known this feeling for years, and not from current life experiences).

Well that about sums up my last year or so. Nothing spectacular, but though I ought to bring things up to date. :p

9. Denomar

Denomar Senior Registered

Can regression be done alone?

Can it be done alone or do you need someone to take notes and bring you out of it?

Just curious before I test it. ;)

10. Deborah

I have always done mine alone....or in a shared meditation with others.

11. KarenF

KarenF Senior Registered

Yes, for sure

I'll chime in to say, I've done it.

The trick is, you have to be very clear in your intent -- to revisit your past, not your fantasies -- and at the same time able to get yourself into a deeper state without being blocked by disbelief, fear, distracting thoughts, self-sabotage, etc. Some people just plain can't do it without someone else's help because of these things. (I couldn't, at first.) But if you can get them out of the way, you'll be able to do it. There's all sorts of resources to help... websites, meditation CDs, meditation how-to books, etc.

Like everything else, the more you do it, the easier it gets.

As far as notes go... scribble them down as fast as possible afterwards, while the material you've received is still close and vivid in your memory. (Trying to take notes during just pulls you out of it, at least so I've found.) Like dreams, the memories can fade out of your mind fast afterwards, even though you don't want them to. Or, if you want to be really sure, turn on a tape recorder and describe as you go, then transcribe it later.

Good luck!

Warmly,
    Karen

12. michaldembinski

michaldembinski Senior Registered

Warsaw, Poland; 52 degrees North, 21 degrees East
    Regression hypnosis: How did it square with your previously-held PL memories?

I've noticed few very interesting threads recently regarding regression hypnosis.

Question for all members who've undergone regression: How did what you learnt square with your previously-held notions regarding your past lives? Did the regression confirm what you had already felt/dreamed/flashed-back to? Or did it uncover a different PL?

Has anyone, for example had a totally different immediate PL uncovered during regression that failed to coincide with what they'd previously held to be true?

Has anyone, conversely, come across information that confirmed or else fitted in with what they'd felt beforehand?

Was this influenced at all by whether the hypnosis was undertaken by another person upon you?

Michal

13. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Most of my recollections game in the form of dreams and cognizant memories I couldn't explain. These occured over several years and I dismissed many to "just weird dreams". These memories were always ladened with intense saddness and I dismissed them as a part of my job stress. After retiring early to my small home town on the plains. The dreams and memories (what I know now as memories) seemed to escalate. I lived two blocks from the cemetary and was drawn there over and over. It was almost obsessive of my visits to the grave of my great grandparents. The feeling of dejavu mixed with terrible saddness worried me. Two graves that were illegible from being hit with a lawn mower so many times, really bothered me. I kept saying if those were my boys I'd be mad....strangely I was mad! Without any thought I had the local monument company make a beautiful stone with both of their names, which I got from old church records. I was satisfied...had the local wags wondering though!

Then I met a person that changed me for the rest of this life. I've spoken of this in other threads and won't rehash it here. But she literally sent my soul into a frenzy. I couldn't explain it. The similarities we shared were many, likes, dislikes etc. And the synchronousities were too much. They literally had me asking God what was going on...am I going nuts!! Reincarnation never entered my mind! Never.

One day a person came into my office and caught me daydreaming. She said where were you? I brushed it off but she continued "I always go off to my other lives back on the prarie. I was a pioneers wife...I even know when I was killed." Now for those that know me I would normally have blown this off as a kook. But I know this lady, her reputation etc were very credible AND she was the director/curator of the county historical society.
    I listened intently and the wheels began turning. Thankfully the internet is a tremendous resourse and I immediately ordered books and read places like this.

I wrote all of these things down in my journal over the years. And had them to reread many many times. But it was after a vivid dream about a woman and a birthmark, and then finding facts of that dream a reality in her life (a birth mark never visible) I was totally confused. When I read Brian Weiss book Many lives Many Masters I then researched the ISARP (not sure if I got that right) and located a very distinguished doctor and researcher. I corresponded asking for her help in this strange 20 year ordeal.

I made an appointment and drove 7 hours to the city she practices. She committed to me a lot of time and over a couple of days of talk we went through the regression. The first thing was a time period long, long ago. I saw myself as a young orphen in a sea side village doing odd jobs for food. Later I was wondering the countryside using skills as a healer to garner food and shelter. I saw a very vivid death at the hand of a drunken soldier.

I then went to my life as my great grandfather. In very real and clear detail I saw myself working and interacting with my family on the farm in the 1890s. She then had me go to the time that caused me such great sadness. It's even difficult now to think of this...but it was January, very cold out and my wife and two boys were ill. The youngest died, then days later the oldest went too. I remember going to my wife and telling her this...it was terrible. Then the night she died...it was the same dream I'd had before but this time it seemed so clear and vivid like I was right there all over again. Well I've spoken of this in earlier threads...you can look them up.

To make this end I'll say to you all...I never planned to go this route. It was like being led down a path. The memories, dejavu, the synchronous incidents all pointed to reincarnation. I was uninformed and caught up in the reality of this life. The regression hypnosis just made it all clearer...and added some wonderful memories I hadn't seen before. Any way thats my story...theres a whole lot more but I hate readin these long threads too.

14. ssake

ssake Senior Registered

I've had three regressions (or attempted regressions). One, with Dr. Woolger at his workshop, was non-hypnotic. The second would have been hypnotic, but I didn't go under. I think this is extremely significant, that if you don't go under, you don't just generate imaginings, despite that some therapists will tell you otherwise. When it really kicks in, I don't think there's any question.

The third was a hypnotic regression for a particular question I had, a therapeutic question, and it was answered by a very brief "flash" of who I was in a life I had not suspected nor tapped before. It must have been old, before the ones I had glimpsed or extrapolated before, and it was the cause of the whole chain, i.e., I was the perpetrator in that life. It was in an advanced civilization, so some people might be skeptical. I just know what I experienced. I felt everything about what it was to be me then--a fraction of a second of being "me-then," the entire identity complete with my beliefs, motives, everything. It came upon me, it wasn't something my imagination generated, is what it definitely felt like.

I think memories accessed through hypnosis can perhaps be a bit more warped or fuzzy or filled in with imagination. But the more pressing issue, in my opinion, is to distinguish between when the memory has actually kicked in, and when one is fantacizing because it hasn't kicked in yet.

For example, the memories that come through the clearest in a regression are usually those tied to something strongly emotional. Now, suppose a researcher starts pressing for facts, dates, names, places. At that point, if the person tries to accommodate them, to please them, and the information isn't coming, they may start using their imagination.

Then, when a debunker gets hold of the transcript, it is precisely these facts, dates, names and places he/she will attack. Finding them inaccurate, the debunker will "throw the baby out with the bathwater," assuming, because he wants to assume it, that it was all bogus. And that shakes our belief in the whole process.

So that means, if we are going to contribute to this emerging body of knowledge, we need to do like Capt. Snow did during his regression. When he didn't experience anything, he said so. When it kicked in and he started experiencing it, he said so.

If we all made a commitment to do that, I think there'd be less confusion around the issue.
    Steve S.

15. Minerva

Minerva Senior Registered

How to prepare for first regression?

Hi, I have my first session booked for Monday afternoon, it is with a hypnotherapist who does past life regression.
    Can anyone give me any ideas on how to make myself ready so that I will have the best chance of having a good outcome to the session? -
    I am going for this mainly due to curiosity, although I do believe in reincarnation and I am quite a spiritual person. I have no prior awareness of my past lives, and I accept that I may not find any in the session, but I want to make it more likely that they come out if they are there.

Bright Blessings,
    Minerva

16. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Hi Minerva,

Welcome to the forum! All I can really tell you is to wear something, comfortable, relax and just let things come to you. Don't go into it with huge expectations, but before you do go in, simply ask for clarification on what you need to remember.

I'd like to recommend that you read through the FAQ section, as it answers a lot of the most frequently asked questions regarding reincarnation. Also, if you type a query into our search engine, it will bring up any and all threads relating to your topic.

Good luck with your first regression :D Let us know how things turned out!

Happy reading!

Ailish

17. Littlemoon

Littlemoon Senior Registered

Also, don't go in hoping (well...I shouldn't say hoping), more like expecting and only wanting to know about your life in (insert country/time period here). Because you might really want to know about a wealthy, happy life in upper-class England, and not be willing to accept your lower-class life on the streets that find out about.

I'm not saying that you do, though... I have just heard a lot of people say this. :)

18. Ethan

Ethan New Member

can you give me some tips on how to do it alone? i tried many time but was unsuccessful.

19. Deborah

HI Ethan,

I use the CD called OM -put out by William Buhlman The reason I like it and it works best for me - is that there is no talking on it. The thread in the link above tells you all about the CD and how it works.

The best advise I can give is to ask a question - a soul question before you do a meditation. Not one about money or fame or power but one that has to do with relationships, current emotions - fears, and or any feelings you have. Then LET GO -go into your heart and let the answers come to you. The key to success is to trust - your higher self to take you where you need to be. Don't "try."

Read the link and let me know if I can answer any questions. The vibrations in the CD -open the chakras and enable deep altered states. ;)

20. tltfaas

tltfaas New Member

My Regression Experience

Hello all,

Last week I had my first past life regression and it was so helpful I had another session this week. I won't go into the backstory too much but I'd been dreaming of this life all this year and the dreams were so violent that they bled through to this life leaving me scratched and bruised when I woke up.

I finally found a past life regression therapist in my area who uses hypnosis. My first session was a couple of hours and extremely detailed. After that my dreams stopped. I went back this week to continue to see what I could learn and the therapist had me pick up where I left off. I got lots of insight, met a guide who was with me for both session and discovered the origin of my IBS disease. The life takes place in Scotland sometime between 1500-1700 and today I realized spontaneously what my name was in that life!

The process is fascinating and helpful for present life difficulties. I highly recommend it!

Bonnie