Reincarnation and Patience

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Deborah, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Something to ponder ---

One of the things I have learned over the past twenty three years - while researching past lives and experiencing them, is patience. I also have become increasingly aware that people want things instantly. Fast food, instant information via the Internet, constant contact via cell phones and the fastest route to understanding. Past life experiences will never be one of those instant things. :rolleyes:

When I look back over the past twenty years, and review how my past lives have surfaced and observed the larger picture (meaning in what context they were revealed) I am in awe of the way in which they surfaced and why. Each is special to me now, because they came when I needed them most, when the patterns or circumstances needed healing or understanding and for that I am grateful.

I have watched people on the forum search, research and question their own experiences, wanting clarity, answers and definition. Bottom-line it doesn't come quickly, it is not an everyday occurrence, and usually we receive only bits and pieces to sometimes several life times. Which can be confusing. For some, it can even become an obsession which only leads to more confusion.

This forum is sometimes a quiet forum, that's because people cannot post everyday about experiences that happen every day.

So my question is - what is your experience with being patient as you search for meaning, understanding and self? Are you patient? What do you do to help yourself be patient?

As time passes and life takes you in other areas of interest - are you eventually led back to past lives - by way of a spontaneous experience, coincidence, or pl dreams? Do you do journaling? Do you meditate?

Reincarnation studies take patience, and an exploration of the self - even more patience. Funny, how we can instantly get historical information from a computer and the Internet, but how we struggle to get information about ourselves. We are the experience and yet - how we wrestle - with who we are, who we were and where we are going. Quite a conundrum heh?

Barblynn likes this.
  2. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

A great thread, Deborah! :thumbsup:

I think patience really is a virtue in researching past lives. I have done the research only for a couple of years, but already I have learned I don't have access to all the PL information any time I might wish. Another thing I have learned is that there is such a vast amount of information to learn within this field - in general and in personal past life experiences - that there will always be something new for me around the corner, and I have all the time in the world. I'm not in a rush anymore. ;)

Memories often come spontaneously when you need them. Usually then is a good time to start digging deeper. A couple of times I have been interested in some PL of mine, but it has been really hard to access the memories. I think the time hasn't been right. I have sometimes phases I don't really get any new memories or do any PL research, but then for a reason I'll probably understand only later, memories of past lives start flooding. Often I'd like to concentrate on one particular lifetime, but many times when the memories start to come, they come from several different lifetimes at the same time. I think then it's time to look at the bigger picture and patterns.

When I first started doing PL research I was way too eager to jump into conclusions with any little clue or inkling I had. Almost always there has been some truth to those clues and inklings, but often I've been too enthusiastic and started following a wrong path so to speak. For example I may have found a person online that has had some qualities to match my memories, and I have too quickly "decided" I was them, which has only led to unnecessary confusion later. (I'm not talking about famous people here, only personal data I have found from genealogy pages etc.) There's no use to believe your own fantasies, really. Nothing good comes out of it, and you can't create a past life for yourself - just play with the cards you have been given. ;)

Of course we all can get impatient sometimes - it's only human. But for me it's been the best way to wait a little, gather more experiences, memories and validations before really "deciding" I had a certain kind of past life. It's sometimes hard, but you just have to live this life, too, and let the memories come and help you in a "natural" way - not forcing them. I'm glad I have a family, friends and hobbies to take my mind off past life research frequently - because despite everything I've said I admit it is very fascinating and can also be very time-consuming. :eek:

At the beginning it was all just very exciting for me, and there's nothing wrong with that imo. You can research your roots through genealogy and get excited - of course you can do the same thing with PL research. But with time I have started to learn the true reason for all this exploring, and that is to understand myself and everyone around me - the Universe - a little better. It really can change your life for the better. :thumbsup:

So yes - so far I have been coming back to PL research after some quieter phases, often because I've spontaneously remembered something. I meditate as often as possible, and keep journal and a reference photobucket about the past life experiences I've had. It's work in progress, and I'm sure it'll continue for as long as I'm able to think and analyse. :D

Karoliina

Barblynn likes this.
  3. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Thank you for posting such a great thread, Deborah. :thumbsup:

Isn’t that the truth! : angel I understand that waiting can be frustrating – I still have occasional moments of frustration where I don’t want to wait – I want to know right this minute! I think the excitement of the discovery keeps us jazzed and wanting more.

I used to be an impatient little thing :D But – like you, I have learned to be patient and accept what comes – whenever it comes. It’s definitely not something you can force – and learning to appreciate the journey as it unfolds is part of the process. I think realizing that you get what you get when you need it helps to be more patient.

I seem to go through phases – where I may have a lot of information coming at me in different ways and then absolutely nothing for a very long time. Sometimes – it takes years to get information on a specific lifetime. It’s funny, looking back through my journals and realizing that some of these lifetimes I have been piecing together for yeaaaaars. For example – my memories of Madeleine’s life in France are mainly from journals I kept over 11 years ago – and only recently has some new information cropped up.

I am definitely much more patient now then I was as a teenager. I think I have a better understanding -- that this is a process of discovery of self, and something that important cannot be rushed. ;) For me personally – I keep a journal, and have done so for most of my life. It helps me to go back and look at how far I've actually have come – and how much information I've collected over the years. I also make sure to stay grounded and present in the NOW. ;) It's wonderful to explore your past - but it's also important to live in the present moment, imo.

Yes, definitely. I can be off doing my thing – and suddenly start dreaming about a past life. Then I start receiving information via spontaneous recall and/or meditation. I usually jot it down in my journal – so I can validate it at a later date ;) Sometimes these memories are triggered by someone I’ve met – or something going on in my present life that I need to be aware of – such as a pattern about to repeat itself.

Absolutely – to both of your questions. :D In my personal experience – meditation for the purpose of pl recall is not something I do all of the time. I find that if I do it too often, it actually lessens the total experience. Too much of a good thing! : angel

Aili

4. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

I echo the others: a great thread :)

I can definitely relate to what you say about wanting knowledge instantly. I guess I am from a generation that have - more or less - grown up with the internet, textmessaging, etc. etc. I am used to getting my answers immediately.

Which is why researching past lives can be a very frustrating task indeed. I am still only learning to be patient, Deborah : angel

What I've most recently learned is that pl memories can't be controlled. When researching a past life, I don't only have memories or flashes from that particular life. They just float in and it's up to me to sort in all the impressions.

The prospect of this research being years and years from being complete is even more frustrating :rolleyes:

So patience is needed indeed.

But I'm willing to learn to be patient. :)

5. Axel

Axel New Member

Patience and Pace.

Heya Deborah :)

Well... I understand it is a manner of speaking but I wish to underline the fact that this point of view can only be applied to the people who live in highly industrialised countries on Earth, like your country (the USA).

There are several billions of people on Earth who cannot even dream of such easy food- and information-networks :) We are lucky and blessed for we can use all this wealth for sharing our feelings and thoughts with one another in Carol Bowman's web-forum :)

Personally, I started my inner-exploration last summer 2003 C.E., after I had to take a radical decision in my life: enough was enough. It is what I call my self-healing process :)

I really think & feel that I am patient. But even more: I respect my own pace. This not only requires patience but also a full awareness of what I can bear as I evolve.

I realise how lucky I am: I live in a rich country, I can eat each time I am hungry, I live under a roof, I can use electricity (the electricity-company provides me such a service because I can pay the bills), I own a computer (it costs one month-work for most of the people of the country I live in), I have an internet-access (internet is widely used in France since year 2000 CE only) because I can pay the internet-provider.

I am glad that I can write in english (my family members have difficulties to write in french, their mother tongue). Even though more and more people in France can go to fast-foods, have an easy access to internet, can use a cell-phone wherever/whenever thet want, I think that most of them are patient. I don't think that most of Americans are that patient :D

I get PL-remembrances thanks to PL-dreams but also (and more and more) thanks to some rare people in real life, through unexpected ways (I'll start a topic about this in this forum when I feel it is the right time to).

I distinguish PL-milestones from PL-remembrances. I write them into my personal diary.I do meditate. I use crystals & minerals for this.

Well, I hope you'll find an answer soon :) Personally, I use internet more as a communication-mean and as a picture data-bank :)I am used not to trusting at first sight any kind of information displayed on my internet-computer screen :)

Thanks to your topic, dear Deborah, I realise how lucky I am.

Kind regards,

Axel :)

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Senior Registered

I am very impatient by nature. I want clear answers and I want them now! That can lead to obsessiveness. Sometimes the only way to handle it is to turn away. I haven't done a self-regression for several months and didn't even think about reincarnation much. Now I'm coming back to it with (I hope) a little more patience and perspective.

Great post, Deborah.

Lonewolf

7. michaldembinski

michaldembinski Senior Registered

Warsaw, Poland; 52 degrees North, 21 degrees East
    Patience comes with multiple reincarnations. In my experience, young- or new souls are impatient; as the soul matures over numerous lifetimes, so it becomes more patient, being able to take the long view.

Michal

8. michaldembinski

michaldembinski Senior Registered

Warsaw, Poland; 52 degrees North, 21 degrees East
    Karoliina - well nuanced! There's a level of biological drive to be factored in, as well as one's own spiritual predisposition.

Michal

9. Marc Ross

Marc Ross Senior Registered

Patience and open minds.

Hello,

Thank-you for starting, and maintaining discussions on patience.

Ironically, patience allows “an open mind;” the very ‘open mind’ which is favorable for strong deja-vu like memories. A self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts. (lately, I’ve been using the term ‘strong deja-vu like memories’ instead of ‘past-life memories’ as most mediation imagery has been inconclusive at best, and probably not past life related e.g., one of these images is my avatar). Memories are spontaneous, yet not totally by chance and accident.

The few strong memories I’ve had seem disjointed; yet not totally disconnected i.e., the analogy of archeological digs, and piecing together finds applies.

The half-asleep/half awake states may be favorable times to experience deja-vu memories of interest. The ‘sleep dream states’ are not necessarily the most favorable times for possible past-life recall.

Memories must be allowed to surface from ‘the unconscious mind;’ as impatience (very much from ‘the conscious mind’) interferes with ‘memories of interest.’ I’m glad to find that people who view the possibility of reincarnation as inconclusive (even with a touch of skepticism) would view Carl Jung’s work (as well as this forum) with open minds.

P.S. I felt my inquiry “Can Changes in ‘Daily Routines’ Serve as Triggers for ‘PL Memories?’ was answered; as life takes us in other areas of interest, past-life memories may surface. Like any discussions on ‘triggers’…inconclusive.

Later,

Marc

10. Aaron

Aaron Senior Registered

I think this is invaluable advice for people in the sense that you cannot force things to happen when it comes to other life memories, you have to accept what is experienced and move on once you aren't experiencing any more memories. It's a true blessing to experience other life memories. I have vaulted a lot of my personal stuff away for now, so that I don't have to focus on the fact that I have fewer memories than other people and that people might laugh or think that I made them up.

If you haven't experienced one yet.....your time might come, but if it doesn't ....it doesn't mean you are not special. You are just blessed with being focused directly on the life you are living now, and that's a good thing too. :thumbsup:

That's where I am right now, in the here and now, seeing life as an invaluable gift, and making this one the best one yet. :thumbsup: To know and to love yourself is the most beautiful gift you can receive.

11. Deborah

I thought perhaps new members might have something to add - or just enjoy reading this particular thread.

12. Marc Ross

Marc Ross Senior Registered

Hello,

Thank-you for "bumping-up" this post.

Patience allows “an open mind;” the very ‘open mind’ which is favorable for strong deja-vu like memories. A self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts.

Memories are spontaneous, yet not totally by chance and accident.

The half-asleep/half awake states (when we are "most patient") may be favorable times to experience deja-vu memories of interest.

Patience and practice apply; as "deja-vu like" memories of interest may occur more often.

Marc

13. Phoenix

Phoenix Forgot to play nice

I'd say that patience is an important virtue when trying to figure out where you've been, who you were, and why.

Otherwise, we jump to the wrong conclusions based on snippets of information. And unless we are willing to let go of those conclusions when new information comes in, we either end up spiraling deeper into storytelling about our past lives, or we discount the very information we were looking for because it doesn't fit what we believe.

And, getting those memories to come out can be an uphill battle that takes a lot of patience and persistence.

It's worth it, but still a struggle.

Phoenix

14. Kislany

Kislany Just searching...

Well I'm not a new member, but a 'coming back' member.

I joined the forum a while ago and read everything I could about reincarnation, and also every book that I got my hands on. I tried meditation, regression CDs, but I only got a few small flashes, even now I'm not very sure whether they were actually past lives I've been 'reflashing', or some fragments of my imagination. Then eventually life made another turn, and I sort of forgot all about it.

A few days ago I picked a book on reincarnation and read it eagerly, and now here I am again. Catching up with old threads, trying meditation again, and also self-hypnosis mp3s. We'll see how long this time will last. I think I tend to give up sometimes because I don't get immediate results when I try. But then the interest gets peaked up again and here I am again :)

So yes, I'm sure for me this is a life-long journey from ever since I got interested in the topic. And yes, I'm sure patience plays a strong role in it :rolleyes:

15. kingkoopa

kingkoopa New Member

Great thread

I'm new to the whole past life memories. I admit I can be impatient when it comes to past life memories. I'm always trying to find out about my past and wishing I had past life dreams. After reading this thread something you said really stood out to me.

This made me look back at my own past life memories/dreams and at the time in which they were revealed to me. It all connects, they all helped me feel stronger and in a way put my mind at ease.

Let me give you an example. Now looking back on it I remember my first past life dream came when I was feeling incompetent in this life. I'm only 18 unemployed, and without a license, sometimes I feel like I'm behind the people my age and not exceptionally good at anything. I was kind of down about this. Then I had the past life dream about being a military commander. It made me feel powerful again, like I could do whatever I set my mind to. It made me feel like I was back there again.

Anyway, interesting topic definitely makes me realize I have to be more patient about past lives.

16. Deborah

Thank You Kingkoopa. I am glad you enjoyed reading it. To me past life memories are a blessing. : angel You are still so young - don't be in a hurry. :cool Enjoy the moment and be aware of life as it happens. It is after all, about the journey.

17. jhskulk

jhskulk New Member

Hi, Bowser. ;)

I'm also 18, without a job, and have had self-confidence issues in the past. I think it's very common for people our age to go through a period of feelings of "worthlessness." However, when I really looked around and rationally assessed my situation, I think I'm better off than 98% of people. After all, you're 18 and you believe in reincarnation, at a time in life where it's fashionable to be an angry atheist reductionist materialist (as I once was) without honestly assessing the evidence. You certainly seem beyond that.

18. ButterflyPsyche

ButterflyPsyche Senior Registered

Thought-provoking. Though, I am not quite sure of how I feel yet. It is hard when you want answers, to have to wait and wonder if you will ever get them. This lesson comes at a timely instance for me- lately I have been practically begging for some validation of the psychic/spiritual variety.

I think I might be "opposite side of the spectrum" having been raised in an extremely conservative Catholic family, I was raised to be patient and wait for divine providence. In a way, coming to reincarnation has taught me more about self-reliance and that we must first save ourselves.

19. ButterflyPsyche

ButterflyPsyche Senior Registered

Wow, that does sound like it came at the perfect time! Great story.

20. Alexnovo

Alexnovo Senior Registered

Small steps

Deborah: Thanks for bumping this up; as a new member I found it very interesting to read through these threads. Like one of the prior posters, there have been several times in my life when I have thought about reincarnation but I was also looking for quick information and validation. Now that I am a bit older, 47, I find that I am not looking for quick proof or instantenous recall. Small memories are like a pieces of a jigsaw puzzle and I am simply happy to be putting the puzzle together. It may take me 30 years or even 30 more lifetimes to see the whole picture, but I am finding peace in the process and for me that is validation enough.