Reincarnation and Patience

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Deborah, Jun 2, 2007.

1. W.A. HEART

W.A. HEART Senior Registered

Great thread Deborah!

I have never been a patient person in my life. It's not that I am demanding or restless. But whenever I am "onto something", be it a book, a film, a kind of music, or anything that envolves discovering/learning new things, I hardly ever stop until I get everything out of it, whatever it is. If I like an author I read everything he/she ever wrote. If I find a subject interesting I research until I am satisfied that I have gone through every resource that is available (to me, that is... :laugh:). And whenever I could not know everything there is to know, I always wondered and revolved things over and over in my mind and speculated endlessly... ;)

When the sequence of events that brought me here began everything changed. For starters, my notion of reality was a little shaken, and that made me stop and ponder, slow down.

Then I realised that I am responsible for a lot more than I believed myself to be (karmic responsibility), and that too made me slow down and look at my options in a different way.

Then all sorts of coincidences began to happen - and one thing I noticed about myself was the fact that I developed this intimate belief that things happen when they have to, and that kind of timing is important.

I am still a terribly curious person, and I will always be, I guess : angel. But patience has lately been a part of my life, as it is a natural consequence of accepting the meaning of lifes' synchronisms....

2. alaskanlaughter

alaskanlaughter Senior Registered

I totally agree. I want all the memories now and it's very hard to wait for things to come on their own. In other areas of my life, I've been told that I'm very patient - such as working with my students. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to pertain to PL memories.

3. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

Thanks for activating this thread, Deborah. It is, perhaps, one of the most prevalent emotions I have experienced while treading this path. When I read books by noted experts in the field of parapsychology, and realize that I nearly traveled the same paths at one time or another, I also realize how far behind I am. While they earned their Phd's and forged new realities, I was dropping out of college and raising a family; all the time feeling that I was wasting my time drawing engines at Ford Motor Company.

Now that I'm in my 60's I think of the many more fortunate paths that I could have followed, the lives that could have been saved, and the impact I could have had on other people's lives. Now, it is too late to write a meaningful book, or make a profound discovery. Yet, unquestioningly, I continue to pursue this search without hope of attainment. Should one call that patience, or is it simply resignation?

I don't really regret the paths that I've chosen. I had to follow those paths to learn what I know today. And what I have learned is how much more there is to discover. It is clear, now, that we are not only reincarnated souls, but that we all have memories of some past lives whether we realize it or not. Furthermore, we are spiritual beings capable of having access to all knowledge. A couple of years ago I wouldn't have thought such things; but I now realize that I had been blinded to the truth by cultural dogma, which did not allow for such knowledge.

It seems that the urgency of learning about our spiritual existence grows ever greater with the knowledge one acquires. The more one seems to learn, the more intense and impatient one seems to become. The more enlightened people become, the more intense they seem to be in their dedication to learn. It is as if we are approaching a point at which the "ship" of wisdom will be taking off and leaving without us.

It is true, that patience is a virtue, in and of itself. But, it is also the means by which our subconscious is allowed to plumb the depths of our innate wisdom. It is the key to meditation. And, if our minds are encumbered with the urgency of knowledge, we cannot connect with our subconscious. Yet, without the urgency, where is our motivation to learn?

4. Woodrow

Woodrow New Member

Patience is not something I'm good at, but I want to learn.

I've been studying PLR for a few years now, and have had some memories flash into my head while using the guided regression CDs by Dick Sutphen and Roger Woolger. I mostly use the Sutphen CD because of the incredible relaxation track at the very beginning. There's also something about his voice that helps me relax and lets my mind flow with him.

But, as I said, patience is not something I've ever been good at. I think a lot of us in Generation X were brought up with the whole instant gratification attitude. I think it was the 80's that did it to us. :)

There are a lot of things in my life that need work, which is one of the reasons I'm researching PLR. I deal daily with almost crippling anxiety, low self-worth and a detachment from the world in general. I don't like that about myself. I know in my heart I'm so much better than that. I want to fix these things NOW.

But, I know it's a gradual process. While I'm not regressing myself every night I do take about a half an hour before I go to sleep to use a meditation CD. Dr. Jeffery Thompson works, as does Steven Halpern. I'm not alway trying to get past life answers, most of the time I lie there, let the music and sound relax me and I let my mind drift wherever it feels it needs to go. I use it to relax, and try to sort out my issues in life and why it is I feel the way I do about myself. I'm getting better, too. I've been much happier over the last few years than I have been most of my life.

Anyway, enough randomness from me. I got way off the subject as I tend to do. What it boils down to is that I'm trying to learn patience not only with PLR, but also with every other aspect of my life and growth as a human being.

5. Nightrain

Hi Woodrow! And, welcome to the Forum. Thank you very much for posting your reflections about this subject. If it helps matters at all, I can suggest that the anxiety you feel is possibly a temporary side effect of rapid personal growth. It seems that as one grows spiritually, one also realizes the mistakes of the past. As knowledge of oneself increases, so do the embarrassing memories of how we blindly stumbled through life, saying the wrong things and making horrible decisions. And, as one learns the skill of meditation and being alone with one's objective judgment, we are often confronted with a myriad of realizations which can often have a devastating effect on one's self image.

I believe that the best way to restore one's own self-image is to read about the revelations experienced by other travelers on the same path of enlightenment. When one realizes how similar those experiences are, one also realizes that those people must have done some horrible and stupid things, themselves. The act of sharing is what enables one to get past the old mistakes and emboldens the spirit to reach out for new experiences. The great thing about reincarnation is realizing that our lives are all open books that are exposed to the scrutiny of every living thing. When we muddle through this life's embarrassing moments, we should realize that there will be thousands more opportunities to improve.

6. liberty

liberty New Member

A great topic!

Thank you everyone for posting. A valuable thread.

As I read through Michael Newton's books I'm seeing more of the past-life/reincarnation picture. According to his research, this *IS* a big stage play down here on earth and our performance will be compared, blow-by-blow, with the very tasks and behaviors we assigned to ourselves before we reincarnated in this life. We will be held accountable by the fellow sojourners in our soul group (and our personal spiritual guides) for those goals we agreed to achieve/work on in choosing this particular life. It sounds like we are to press forward through all adversity, take reasonable risks that don't harm others, make mistakes, fall down, get up, learn to believe in ourselves until we find the path that resonates with the truth we are passionate about, then live that life to the fullest!!

What seems to matter a lot is that we heed the signals for changing direction in our lives and not get stuck in old ruts (such as anger, abuse, addictions, avoidance, self-recrimination, power trips, etc). The ruts pre-date this life and are the very things we signed up to work on/conquer in this life.

Love and compassion rate highest on the list of qualities we are all working on to bring out in ourselves and one another, along with patience and forebearance. The people in our lives have also agreed to their own contracts involving us, so as one of us changes and matures, we help the others around us do the same.

According to these books, we spend a big portion of the between-life times with our soul group figuring out how we could have made better use of the lives just past (and rejoicing over the good parts) and planning for the next incarnation. We agree to take certain roles with one another to help each other conquer shortcomings, including being a victim if that is necessary. All karma is voluntary and there is never a sense of punishment. It's all about learning and growing at one's own pace.

Surprisingly, our souls are not always good fits with the physical bodies we inhabit and we must learn to work around limitations like being prone to depression, madness, anger, jealousy, physical handicaps etc. We may choose bodies with these tendencies on purpose. Our souls meld with the unborn baby and we use differing amounts of 'soul energy' to live in that body. sometimes we don't bring enough energy and we feel quite drained or overwhelmed. Our soul energy can be in more than one body, while a remainder always stays behind in the spirit realm. Newton brings out this whole world of how souls fit into human bodies that his clients described to him while under hypnosis.

Souls who are mal-adapts, who continually misuse their lives and harm others, are treated differently, but are not sent away to a place of eternal torment. They always have the option of 'getting it right'. Loving, involved counsel is mandatory (and desired) for every soul, and growth is expected but never demanded. In fact, there seem to be no demands at all; everything is voluntary and we choose the entire path that our soul takes, with suggestions from the more experienced souls in the between-life state and lots of time to consider all the options.

This outlook makes my life far more valuable to me, and has given me the courage to step out and do the things I always wanted to do. Hell, I'm 56 and going back to college. Maybe in the years I have left, I can tackle more of my issues than I ever dreamed possible.

Nighttrain, it is not too late to go after any of the great plans you talked about in another thread. Maybe that's why you've been given this curiousity about past lives to begin with!

Woodrow, it's so good to hear your story. I sure as heck don't meditate with the consistency that you do, that is a huge plus.

7. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

I think being patient is the hardest part about past life memories. One small memory can spark enthusiasm, excitement and a yearning for more. But sometimes experiences are far and few between. What do you think?

8. liberty

liberty New Member

Reading past-life stories gives the impression that patience has nothing to do with it-- that most people have spontaneous experiences or reach a past life with just a few tries. Thank you for pointing this out. I've been somewhat frustrated in my attempts and decided to 'let it rest' and work on other aspects of my life for now so that I'm more receptive.

9. Totoro

Totoro Senior Registered

Deborah, that's a really good point.

I too have been at it for a couple of years and I haven't had any outright memories, dreams or regressions.

But I also wanted to mention that there are tons of other clues in your own life right now that can provide you with directions to look in and are as equally valid. Following some of these clues can also in turn unlock memories.

So if you find yourself frustrated, try looking at different approaches. Consider yourself and look closer at something you've always been interested in and don't exactly know why, especially if you haven't had any (or much) exposure to it.

Music, hair styles, food, environment, personal habits, unexplained knowledge, talents or insight you may have or just anything out of the ordinary that you've always been curious about are places to start. It's also easy to get started with the internet!

In general, the more exposure you have you to things, the better you'll be able to get a feel for which direction your personal compass is point you in.

Don't give up and keep trying! We've all been through it and are still going through!

10. Ceridwen

Ceridwen Senior Registered

...and isnt it such a shame to live in a culture that simply doesnt believe (overall....) in reincarnation.

Maybe "objective observers" could see things about me that are pointers to past lives that arent clear to me as the person concerned - in the same way that I can see (as an objective observer) some facts about other people. In a culture that "doesnt believe" its impossible to share:(. I would be fascinated to know if there are some aspects of me and/or my appearance that blindingly obviously indicate who/what I was in a previous life - instead of having to rely on the fact that I go into "imperious Edwardian lady" mode often enough to indicate that that is what I must have been last time round - and then promptly have to remind myself that this time round I'm pretty impoverished/yer "ordinary person in the street" mode - so I must work out other ways to handle Life than Miss/Mrs Imperious Edwardian would have used....

I know that right now I can see which era the most recent past life of some people was in:

- ie there are that I've noticed:

- one person from 1930s England

- one from 1930s America

- one from 1920s England

- one from a specific African culture (and an object lesson in not being too attached to a particular bodily feature that is regarded as highly attractive in a particular society - because the next society one incarnates in will probably regard it in a totally different light:freak:). I felt very very sorry for the woman who had been an African in a previous life in that African state that regards very long necks as beautiful and wears lots of "neck collars" deliberately to elongate them even more - as the poor woman loved her long neck from that life so much that she brought it with her into this life and it looks very odd indeed in our current society). Lesson there as to never be too attached to our current appearance....as there don't seem to be ANY aspects of physical appearance that are regarded in ANY society in ANY era as being attractive and its by far the easiest option to fit in with whatever is currently regarded as "attractive" in the society one is currently in..:cool

11. Shiftkitty

Shiftkitty Registered User

Ironically, recovering past life information is the one area in my life where I have the patience of a saint. I say 'ironically' because patience is the big lesson I have to learn. Impatience has cost me so much in my past lives, but it's such a hard thing to master, especially since I drive for a living and get to spend all that time with... well, I might wind up launching into a tirade, so I'll stop now. I tried to explain to one poster that a lot of the lengthy stories of past lives that we read are often the result of smaller flashes of memory that leak out now and then. Sometimes they're such small flashes that we don't recognize them until some time after the incident.

12. Lady2

Lady2 Senior Registered

Absolutely - patience is the key!

Personally, my past life memories have caught me totally off guard every single time. Whenever I've had a PL dream, or flashback, I was never thinking about it or expecting/wishing it to happen. I think they are more powerful and really get your attention that way, not to mention you KNOW you didn't 'dream it up', because you were busy doing something entirely different!

My past life research is a very slow process, I've been doing it a little bit at a time my entire life. Sometimes I go through fazes of doing/reading/learning more about my PL's, and other times I get busy with my current life and don't do anything with my memories for a long time. Usually that's when I have a powerful dream or flashback out of the blue that gets me motivated to keep searching. :thumbsup:

13. liberty

liberty New Member

Thanks Deborah for bumping this. I just read your online book at the link in your signature. But it ends at Chapter 6! is there more somewhere? You left quite a cliffhanger!

Meditation has not produced definite past-life material for me. I continue reading, researching, journaling, writing down anything I can remember about childhood interests, fears, etc. but have not had any past life glimpses since my regression session in Sept. 2010. However, that session opened the door for other psychic events, such as clear contact with my deceased mother.

Usetawuz's posts in other threads about using akashic record readers was very helpful. I'm moving to a nearby city with many intuitives who meet regularly and some are akashic readers. I also hope to spend more time with my sister and research our mother's genealogy. This feels important, to know 'our people' from her side. This may help unlock past life memories for both of us.

Indeed, in our case I feel we are to proceed together for some reason. If one of us can break through and start accessing the information, it might come quickly for one or both of us. I feel we have a certain amount of 'homework' to do before that happens. In my case, learning about past lives wasn't due to an experience. I was just following my interests. So there isn't the same connection or 'need-to-know'. It will happen in its time.

14. msmir

msmir New Member

LOL not sure about that. I have had many incarnations and I am one of the most impatient people around.

15. Shiftkitty

Shiftkitty Registered User

LOL, seconded! I have had many lives myself but still have a Git-R-Done level of patience!

16. Nightrain

Upon reflection it strikes me as something of an oxymoron to be impatient about examining one's past lives, because patience usually refers to how we approach the future. Of course it goes without saying that we are better able to avoid trouble in the future by knowing our past. However, as Dr. Wayne Dyer would suggest, our future can be very often determined more by our imagination than by our perceptions. Or, as RFK once said, "I dream of things that never were and ask myself, why not.".

I have been at this search for past lives in earnest for about twenty years, and have done everything possible to discover who I was, but without achieving anything definitive that could be considered proof. However, I can say that, in spite of this, my honest faith in the existence of Reincarnation has become as solid and unfailing as my belief that "I am!". This is not to deny that I have uncovered some interesting "snapshots" of myself in previous times that date back possibly three thousand years. But, I realize these are only very small fragments of my past, which cannot be known in their entirety.

Although there appear to be some people who claim to be able to remember all of their many past lives in their entirety, I have come to believe that very few of us are meant to know all these things. And, I can understand, now, how such knowledge may hold us back from becoming who we need to be in the future.

Yes, I have been impatient, and even sometimes downright envious of others who have enjoyed wonderful veridical revelations of past lives. But, I can now say that there is great satisfaction from having pursued the subject of reincarnation for all these years; for, though I have not been able to prove that I was so-and-so in a past life, I have freed myself from the constricting beliefs of materialist science and religion, and I have enabled myself to become someone of the future.

To wax again on an already well-waxed phrase, "Patience is a virtue!". Although this may seem a trite and obvious phrase, it is one that should be continually examined and fully understood; for it takes patience to understand that the pursuit of Reincarnation is not for the sake of one's ego, but to discover that "Know thyself!" actually translates to finding our common connection with God. And, by "God" I don't mean the biblical God of hell-fire and punishment, but rather the God that we are all part of—the universal consciousness.

17. Midnight.Sapphires

Midnight.Sapphires Senior Registered

After I had my very first regression session in 1986, it took me about 10+ years to piece together the entire story of my life from my birth to my death in that one prior life. It was a very long process of researching facts and soul-searching. I would not have accepted that I lived this lifetime if I had just taken what I said during my regression without backing all of it up with facts. That's just my way. I would rather find out the facts than have someone just tell me who I was in a prior existence.

I've had several prior lives and all of them, I've researched for facts also. I'm still learning. It was only a couple of years ago that I found out that in one lifetime in the early 1920's, in which I eloped, that I was not 17 as I had previously thought, but actually 14 and pregnant. You never stop learning - it's like doing one's genealogy - sometimes you think there's nothing more to learn and then something just pops up and you pick up where you left off and continue on.

It's an ongoing journey and this forum has helped me tremendously.

18. Crazy Train

Crazy Train New Member

Thanks for bumping this.

I'm patient because I know I have to be. Wanting to know is what motivates me.

I use MP3s. It's slow, but I've gone from seeing nothing but swirling lights to seeing faces in about 1 week or so. I still don't know who those faces are yet, but they are very distinctive. There was no emotion attached to the images, which makes we wonder about their validity. It's an open question.

When I first started, I expected to see things as if in daylight. That hasn't happened. Whether that was a false expectation or not is yet to be determined.

19. Owl

Owl Super-alt Mitglied

I' m impatient, really impatient although I don' t see it as a problem, my problem is that I' m also undisciplined, my energy is like a Blitzkrieg and I get carried by emotions more than I should.

However, before spitting out my words I should first make a distinction between what I consider the difference between patience and discipline.

When you are patient you are calm, you wait, you know eventually it will happen.

When you are disciplined you do what you have to do, wether you want it or not, for the time period you stipulated beforehand. If you are disciplined you will meditate everyday, even if you don' t feel like it. If you are patient you might meditate when you feel like it and think that eventually you'll get something.

I think the perfect combination to get past life memories is to be impatient and disciplined. Because if you think that memories will eventually come, you stop trying, or you might think that if you meditate everyday you' ll eventually get things while actually meditating might not be the best method for you. However, if you are disciplined enough to try one method for a while, with predetermined intervals and stick to it during that time, then change to something different if it doesn' t work, and so and so, you' ll find one that suits you best and gives you the best results.

I think that everything we do affects us at a brain and maybe soul level, the same way that what we do with our muscles can affect our bones. We just have to create a habit and our brain/soul will respond to it like any other organ.

20. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Hi owl,

I've never found impatience to be helpful. Interesting that you suggest it could be. coffee