Reincarnation and the Bible

Discussion in 'Reincarnation, Religion and Spirituality' started by Charles Stuart, Nov 8, 2005.

1. rjmarzano

rjmarzano rjmarzano

Christ spoke about reincarnation but people didn't understand what He was talking about.

Understanding the Book Of Revelation requires an understanding of astrology and reincarnation I think. And that's probably why people are so confused about Revelation today.

Here's a message about this.

Jeff Marzano:

The early Christians apparently believed that Christ was going to return during their own lifetimes. I think that happened because of a misunderstanding about the following statement that Christ made:

◄ Matthew 16:28 ►

"Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."

Edgar Cayce said that the people who heard Christ say this didn't understand what He was talking about. What Christ meant is the people who were present at that time would be reincarnated and alive again in this world when all of those end time events had happened.

Christ was probably talking about the end of the astrological Age Of Pisces. I think this may have happened on 12/21/12 and we are now in the Age Of Aquarius but I'm not sure.

This gets into the idea that there will be 144,000 people in the world to make the path straight for whatever's going to happen. That may be now. There's 144,000 on the dark side also.

Interestingly one Mayan baktun is 144,000 days and 13 of those baktuns make up one Mayan age.

Twelve and multiples of 12 are mystical numbers in the bible and many other places such as astrology and mythology.

Edgar Cayce's Story of Jesus (Paperback)
    [Paperback 1987]
    by Edgar Cayce (Author), Jeffrey Furst (Editor)

2. Native Son

Native Son Member

How interesting is most of this thread. The Golden thread that weaves together all thoughts here is precisely the concept of reincarnation of the soul. And to most of those that have embraced Christianity and reincarnation, we must remember a particular passage in the gospels where it relates to the Second Coming of Christ, and is written as Jesus' own words.

John 14-25,26,27
    All this I have spoken to you while I am still with you. 26But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have told you. 27Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled; do not be afraid.…

And for those posts related to the spirituality and the existence of the soul prior to the body, along with the eternal realm, we can rely on Plato for corroboration.

Timaeus:

Now God did not make the soul after the body, although we are speaking
    of them in this order; for having brought them together he would never have
    allowed that the elder should be ruled by the younger; but this is a random
    manner of speaking which we have, because somehow we ourselves too are very
    much under the dominion of chance. Whereas he made the soul in origin and
    excellence prior to and older than the body, to be the ruler and mistress, of
    whom the body was to be the subject......

When the father and creator saw the creature which he had made moving
    and living, the created image of the eternal gods, he rejoiced, and in his joy
    determined to make the copy still more like the original; and as this was eternal,
    he sought to make the universe eternal, so far as might be.......

Thus far and until the birth of time the created universe was made in the
    likeness of the original, but inasmuch as all animals were not yet comprehended
    therein, it was still unlike. What remained, the creator then proceeded to fashion
    after the nature of the pattern. Now as in the ideal animal the mind perceives
    ideas or species of a certain nature and number, he thought that this created
    animal ought to have species of a like nature and number......

Now, when all of them, both those who visibly appear in their revolutions as
    well as those other gods who are of a more retiring nature, had come into being,
    the creator of the universe addressed them in these words: ’Gods, children of
    gods, who are my works, and of whom I am the artificer and father, my creations
    are indissoluble, if so I will. All that is bound may be undone, but only an evil
    being would wish to undo that which is harmonious and happy. Wherefore,
    since ye are but creatures, ye are not altogether immortal and indissoluble, but
    ye shall certainly not be dissolved, nor be liable to the fate of death, having in
    my will a greater and mightier bond than those with which ye were bound at the
    time of your birth. And now listen to my instructions:–Three tribes of mortal
    beings remain to be created–without them the universe will be incomplete, for
    it will not contain every kind of animal which it ought to contain, if it is to be
    perfect. On the other hand, if they were created by me and received life at my
    hands, they would be on an equality with the gods. In order then that they
    may be mortal, and that this universe may be truly universal, do ye, according
    to your natures, betake yourselves to the formation of animals, imitating the
    power which was shown by me in creating you. The part of them worthy of the
    name immortal, which is called divine and is the guiding principle of those who
    are willing to follow justice and you–of that divine part I will myself sow the
    seed, and having made a beginning, I will hand the work over to you. And do
    ye then interweave the mortal with the immortal, and make and beget living
    creatures, and give them food, and make them to grow, and receive them again
    in death.’

Thus he spake, and once more into the cup in which he had previously
    mingled the soul of the universe he poured the remains of the elements, and
    mingled them in much the same manner; they were not, however, pure as before,
    but diluted to the second and third degree. And having made it he divided the
    whole mixture into souls equal in number to the stars, and assigned each soul
    to a star; and having there placed them as in a chariot, he showed them the
    nature of the universe, and declared to them the laws of destiny, according to
    which their first birth would be one and the same for all,–no one should suffer
    a disadvantage at his hands; they were to be sown in the instruments of time
    severally adapted to them, and to come forth the most religious of animals;
    and as human nature was of two kinds, the superior race would hereafter be
    called man. Now, when they should be implanted in bodies by necessity, and
    be always gaining or losing some part of their bodily substance, then in the first
    place it would be necessary that they should all have in them one and the same
    faculty of sensation, arising out of irresistible impressions; in the second place,
    they must have love, in which pleasure and pain mingle; also fear and anger,
    and the feelings which are akin or opposite to them; if they conquered these
    they would live righteously, and if they were conquered by them, unrighteously.
    He who lived well during his appointed time was to return and dwell in his
    native star, and there he would have a blessed and congenial existence...........

3. Virochana Asura

Virochana Asura New Member

I do not believe that reincarnation is found in the Bible. If we look at the Hebrew scriptures what we find is that they possessed a very materialistic view of what we would call the ‘soul’ in the earlier historical layers. The Hebrew words ‘ruach’ (breath as in Genesis 2:7) and ‘nefesh’ (life in the body related to flowing blood, as in Leviticus 17:11) do not have any spiritual import.

We also see there is no concept of Afterlife states in the Bible before the Jews were influenced by the Zoroastrians in the Babylonian Exile. In the legends of Genesis such as the Fall, the murder of Able and the generation of the Flood there is never any mention of judgment and Hell. When we look at the list of blessings and curses based on one’s fulfillment of the Mosaic Law (Deuteronomy 28), there is never any Heaven or Hell mentioned. There is no Afterlife reward or punishment (Ecclesiastes 9:5).

The end of man is Sheol, the grave (Genesis 37:35) and that is it. The dead are “forgotten” (Psalm 31:12) and that is clear in a number of places, such as,

“It is not the dead who praise the LORD, those who go down to the place of silence”

- Psalm 115:17

These do reflect something of the state in which the dead were viewed which is also described as not only an unknown and questionable state, but “darkness” (Psalm 143:3). What we then gather about the grave is that it is characterized with motifs of silence and darkness.

In the Greek scriptures, most people on this subject will quote the famous verse from Hebrews which says clearly,

“And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment.”

-Hebrews 9:27

The Zoroastrian beliefs had already been incorporated in Judaism and passed to the early church. There is some debate among scholars if the view of the resurrection of the dead in Paul (1 Corinthians 15) and as it is presented in Revelation (chapter 20) are the same (‘Paul and Hellenism,’ Maccoby). But, in either case it does not seem that reincarnation is implied, much less directly mentioned, in these texts.