Reincarnation - what happens after the past life memories fade?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Wendy25, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Wendy25

Wendy25 New Member

I have just finished reading Carol's book - 'Return from Heaven'. What a truly amazing and inspiring book it is. But one question still remains for me. What happens to these children after the age of about 7? It seems that they forget their previous life memories. Is that always the case? Is it that when the child reaches school age, that other people and influences change their way of thinking? Or is it that we as parents or relations to the child are only given a brief glimpse and a reassurance that their soul has returned from heaven for our own needs and healing purposes?

I would really love to know how these families in the book are going now. If the child sometimes has dreams or flashes, or if he or she never remembers any of the things they spoke about when they were young. I suppose the question here is, did the soul return and is given a second chance, and can therefore be a different person this time on earth, or did the soul enter the body of the child temporarily on different occasions with the child's own soul, so it could tell his or her parents that they are there with them and are aways watching over them? I ask this question because with each of the cases, the child's speach and demeanour changes when they need to pass a message on.

And finially does the child feel as if they are indeed that person they are talking about as they continue to get older? I wonder if any of the children in the book have been spoken to about the possibility that they are the reincarnation of a loved one by their parent at an older age, or if once the memories have faded, so to are the discussions of reincarnation between parent and child.

If there is anyone who believes they are the reincarnation of a previous soul, please feel free to answer my questions. I would really love to know. :rolleyes:

2. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Hi Wendy, how are you? :)

I'm glad you enjoyed reading Carol's book :)

I think in most cases, children forget about their past lives around the age of 7, or maybe 'forget' isn't really the appropriate word. The memories that children remember from an early age pass from the conscious mind to the subconscious as the child becomes more involved with their present life and the world around them, so those memories are still there, you can't just erase a memory, they just become buried under layers of present life memories. In some cases, the memories can stay with a child into adulthood and sometimes a past life regressionist can help to settle any issues that could be causing any distress.

I don't agree that a soul can temporarily 'borrow' a child's body in order to let their loved ones know that they are ok. The reincarnation of a soul into a new body is a permanent move until that life expires.

Well, one way of looking at it, is that the child IS that person that they talk about, not physically of course, but we carry the essence of our former selves and the 'wisdom' from one life to the next - we are all the sum of our previous lives put together. So, from my personal experience, you don't feel like the person you were in a previous life, although some actions can remind you of a person who you once were ... for example, a certain facial expression you make, or maybe a certain stance can momentarily cause you to 'feel' like your former self, but it's very brief, almost like a flashback.

Chris :)

3. Wendy25

Wendy25 New Member

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply to my numerous questions. I'm glad you feel that the soul doesn't temporarily borrow a body, it's nice to know that the soul does return to earth, especially in the cases of same family reincarnation.

I guess each case is different, just like each one of us is different. Some people, as you mentioned may get glimpses every now and then that they have been here on earth before even as an adult, and others may be so content with their life that they don't need to rely on their past life memories, and therefore store these memories away.

I sometimes think back to when I was a child, and I can't remember most things that happened to me when I was young, let alone try and remember things from a previous life as well. The only way we can truly remember things that are important to us is to write them down when they happen, or try and make a conscience effort to remember it everyday when we wake up. But that is near impossible.

I guess we all have funny little things we remember from when we are young, something that happened to us that seems to remain in our minds even though it occured many, many years ago. But the majority of our memories of a child do actually fade away as time passes. Or rather stored in another part of our subconscious as you mentioned. So, I guess it is inevitable that the reincarnated child will more than likely forget what they said or saw as time goes by. Thanks for answering that question for me - it makes alot more sence now.

Maybe these memories of a past life the child has and passes on to their parent, aren't for the child, but rather an important message for the parent. So therefore the child has no need to remember anymore once they have let out all their fears or have their questions answered from their previous life.

4. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

Hi Wendy...

I've continued to follow your progress on this Forum with great interest, knowing that you are actively working at getting through all the stages of your grief. Many of us are learning along with you. I feel strongly that you are going to be a teacher to someone, who will need your support in the future.

It is disappointing that children, who somehow remember parts of their past lives, seem to lose their memories as they grow older. I personally envy anyone who has had the good fortune of witnessing such children as they remember. And, I am saddened as the memories of such witnesses seem to fade. Then, my envy turns to sadness, because it is like loosing a connection with someone. The person is still there, but not their memories.

Why this happens is difficult to understand. And, one would think that maintaining our past life memories can only help us to progress, while staying closer to those we have loved through all of our incarnations. One would also ask why a child would be permitted to retain their memories, only to have them fade after a certain age. Yet, many times, children do manage to remember past lives without realizing it, as you inquired.

In a previous post, you might remember that my mother believed that I was her first son, Michael, who died when he was hit by a car. I didn't believe it until very recently, when I discovered that some of my memories as a child happened a few years before I was born. Perhaps it is possible that children do remember some things well into their adult lives. But, are such memories messages? In a way, maybe all things are messages, and all we need to do is open our minds to such a possibility.

However, I strongly believe that it is wrong to blame ourselves for missing any message, because doing so would be self-destructive and counter-productive. I'm not trained or qualified to counsel anyone on matters of any kind, especially about such personal issues involving loss. Besides, I, like you, am here to learn. But, one thing I am sure of, is that blame of any kind is not why any of us are here on this earth. I hope, instead, that we may somehow convert all loss into wisdom -- wisdom that can be used to help others who are struggling with loss.

Our prayers and support is with you.

-Nightrain

5. Charles Stuart

Charles Stuart Probationary

Hi all,

In my case, I did retain the memories of childhood of when my father used to sing me a song. I just had no idea that they were indeed "memories" until much later in life, when I had my own "proof" of the reality of reincarnation and could finally begin to understand what they truly were.

As for why we "forget", as I say in the last paragraph of the story I have written:

The "true growth" is in the spiritual, not just in the physical...

:) :thumbsup:

6. Wendy25

Wendy25 New Member

Hi Charles,

Are you the reincarnation of an older sibling? Did you, or are you still remembering things from a past life? If so, how did you remember? Did you speak regularly to someone about it, or does the memories just pop up every now and then for no apparent reason? I would love to know more. Do you have a thread link that explains it all?

I just feel that I can't learn enough, and I want to know more. Anything you can tell me would be great. :)

7. Charles Stuart

Hi Wendy,

No, not the reincarnation of an elder sibbling, but "memories" of a past life since childhood. I tell of them in a thread here called "Famous people"... :)

8. wednesday

wednesday Senior Registered

I had lots of past life memories as a kid and remembered at least 5 of them until adulthood, there were many more that would come and go depending on the situation but they weren't ones that I could just pull out of my head whenever like the other ones, the 5 I mentioned did get a little fuzzier though until I was an older teen and started giving them some attention for what they were.

One of the things that I think affected my forgetting most of them was the differences in the cultures and even the century I lived in. How you look at the world in one culture may not be close to the same in another one. That applies to time as well, the reality then was v-e-r-y different. The easiest example I can think of is telephones, televisions, computers, internet, grocery stores, hospitals, cars....they didn't exist. All the things that shape pretty much every aspect of modern life didn't exist.

Then we had our family, friends, and whatever knowledge they taught, and our prayers to keep us alive and find meaning to life, and a few belongings. Most of those being necessities, not just extra 'stuff'.

In this life I had a broken up family where appearances, alcohol,and things happened to be the priority (mostly to keep the alcohol inspired incidences under the covers). Look good to the neighbors. Religion was something you did on Sunday for appearances. Nothing was similar, and I didn't think any of it applied to this life so I quit thinking of it much. That and my family never even heard of reincarnation so they just thought I was weird. I was also the one seeing ghosts and spirits which added an extra amount of strangeness to me. I learned to keep my mouth shut.

It wasn't until recently that I started realizing how much those memories affected this life. They were behind my outlook on pretty much everything.

It's also been recently were I noticed how differently I saw or thought of things in that life. The culture you belong to really does affect your perception of the world. I'm not good with words so I don't know a good way to explain (someone please step in here if you know what I mean) but the more I can put myself back into a memory, the more I remember from that life. It's when I do that I'm seeing and experiencing from that point of view instead of being held back by 'western thought', which sounds strange since in that life I didn't live too far from where I do now.

9. fiziwig

fiziwig moderator emeritus

When I was very young I used to talk about who I was "before". Those memories faded away some time around the age of 8 or 9. At least I had stopped talking about them by that age. Now, at age 64, the only thing I remember is that I used to talk about remembering things that I no longer remember. My mom and sister also remember that I used to talk about who I was before, but they don't really remember any details other than that I said I was a Buddhist before, and that I seemed to have some knowledge of the French language when I was first learning to talk.

The only really clear memory I still have from that time is looking at my tiny hands and thinking "How strange it is to be small again."

Beyond that I don't remember a thing now.

10. Charles Stuart

I think the difference in my case may have been the episode that happened to me when I was 15, when I had my first spiritual encounter and was told about my past life for the first time. It was easier to "remember" at least some of the memories from childhood at that age, and easier for me to later retain them in my memory, than if I had to try to remember them now without that episode having happened...

11. Blueheart

Blueheart Senior Member

Hi Wendy,

My three year old daughter proves to me on an almost weekly basis that she is/was my grandmother, by the things she says or does. Personally, my observations of her have lead me to believe that she does not consciously remember her past life. In other words, it is not ever present in her mind that she was my grandmother once before. It just slips out from time to time. To her, I think, she is Emily now and always has been.

Based on this, I would think that children are able to access their subconscious minds far more readily and easily than adults. As they grow, the memories are still there, as they always have been. It is the process of reaching the memories that becomes cluttered as we age.

12. Susie

Susie Dreamer-former moderator

When I was child, I engaged in games that consisted of other times. My aunt, brother and I once played a game where we were Indians out on the territory. We made up an entire Indian language. My grandmother even recorded us on one of those old reel-to-reel tape records as we talked in our Indian language. Sadly, the tape has been lost over the years.

But, I remember the emotion of having to play the Indian game, of being angry when my playmates didn't want to play anymore. It all felt so real to me.

I truly believe that my aunt and my brother and I shared a life together, perhaps in the 1800's. Neither of them believe in reincarnation, so it is not something I can discuss with them. However, I have always been drawn to 1800's, 1920's and 1930's.