Sekhmet the Egyptian Warrior Goddess

Discussion in 'Reincarnation, Religion and Spirituality' started by autumnleavesnnovember, Sep 1, 2017.

1. autumnleavesnnovember

autumnleavesnnovember Active Member

Sekhmet the Egyptian Warrior Goddess Statue

I have the opportunity to get the above item and hang it on my wall. To those who know about goddesses, which I don't, would you hang Sekhmet on your wall? Why or why not?:)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2017
  2. John Tat

John Tat Senior Registered

Hi.. first of all I believe its all about you not anyone else... If you like it and you feel comfortable hanging on your wall.... well do .. Is it good quality or poor quality?... If it was me I would hang it on a wall that catches the morning sun.. Sekhmet glowing in the morning sun would be great... Each morning say a little pray to her while she is in the sun ... and see what happens... You must want it to even ask the question... if you begin to get a little spooked by it then get rid of it... Why do the people want to sell it?

Regards

inhaltslos likes this.
  3. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director

HI Sunday,

What image? I don't see it? Need help posting it? Cage you mind? I'm curious. Of course you know I love all things Ancient Egyptian

4. AlexD

AlexD aka Shadow

Hi, personally I wouldn't keep any representation of any deity in my home. I don't like divine/angelic icons in general, regardless of my faith. But it's just my way of thinking... the rest of my family has several Christian icons around, never been a fan of them. I know this sounds contradictory since I have the image of what seems to be an angel as avatar, but that is more of a symbolic representation of a concept (sacrifice, in this case) rather than an entity or a real angel.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  5. autumnleavesnnovember

Okay, sorry, here's the item: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61D8EsoMJJL.jpg

I would be getting a new one, not one someone wanted to get rid of for some reason; although if that was the case, John Tat, I would wonder why, too. Now, I'm pretty much Judaeo-Christian and would not pray to a goddess; and no offense to those who do. I also have never put religion icons up on walls, but did have those posters from the 1970s with inspirational and sometimes biblical verses.:) I like to think I'm not superstitious, but obviously I am somewhat if I am worrying about putting the statue up.

It was ironic this statue came to my attention this week, too, since I recently got into a "battle" with others over something I felt they were unfairly doing. (Written, of course, not physical.) I also like the cat face image. Come to think of it, too, I have a dog deity statue on the front porch. One of the neighbors was throwing it out. They were moving. I saw it by their trash can and took it home. I really like it and have no concerns about it because it's outside. I associate outside with Mother Nature, who's not the same as God. I also see gods and goddesses, like Sekhmet, as being nature entities. Maybe I could just hang her on the back patio wall that gets the afternoon sun.:)

Yes, Deb-TEP, I certainly remember your interest in the topic, and would like to hear your opinion, as well as anyone else's opinion about Sekhmet the Egyptian Warrior Goddess. By the way, I'm sort of like a pacifist. ;)

6. Cryscat

Cryscat Senior Member

That's a lovely image of Sekhmet. Its really up to you autumnleaves. If you like it and want it, then just get it!

7. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator

Yes, it is beautiful. And if you like it and it speaks to you--if for no other reason than its beauty--then by all means display it for your pleasure. I have a daughter who lives in Egypt and she sends me all sorts of beautiful artwork. I do not understand their meaning, but their beauty is worth looking at. ~T

8. autumnleavesnnovember

Thanks, Cryscat and Tinkerman, I think I will get it.

P.S. Deb-TEP, this doesn't let you off the hook. I'm still awaiting at least a brief report on your opinion of Sekhmet.:) (Has school started again?)

9. John Tat

Hi I will give you my opinion of Sekhmet if that is what you are looking for She was a great and powerful goddess She is connected to Ra some claim she is his daughter... just as today there was a time the people had lost there way.. there was no balance only chaos.. Ma'at had to be restored.. So Ra sent Sekhmet to restore balance... so Ma'at could return..She went on an uncontrolled killing spree that Ra could not even stop.
    There is plenty more about her as well as another her other side of healing and compassion... She was all powerful and a great goddess who taught the people the lessons they had to learn that could only be taught by the actions she took... She is one of the gods you should pray to on a regular basis.. because she will very possibly return or send someone else to once again restore balance in the same manner she did so Ma'at can return

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  10. autumnleavesnnovember

Thanks, John Tat. I'm interested in anyone's point of view of her. Reading about her was such a mixture of violence and benevolence. As I said earlier, praying to her is not an option for me. So, you see her as possibly returning? Do you mean incognito as a person, or returning in a similar way that some Christians think Jesus will return?

11. John Tat

Hi Its understandable you have a problem with of her mixture of violence and benevolence The easiest way to understand it is... the same as man. the tribes ( we are still very tribal) and the world in general the gods must also have balance.. Gods can be both brutal and benevolent they do and must have balance.. When Ra sent Sekhmet to earth to restore balance so Ma'at could return she lost balance.. When she saw how the people had lost there ways with the gods she herself lost balance and turned into chaos, and set about the destruction of mankind... which she would have done if Ra had not tricked her
    When it was all over she called on Ma'at to help her to return to balance.. After she returned to balance she was still the violent goddess of war but was also a healer and educator of the people
    Will she return or will she return in incognito? Yes either she will or someone from the same house of the gods will
    I find it interesting that you would never pray to an Egyptian god... yet I'm sure you use the word Amen... Amen also written as Amun is a powerful Egyptian god who was around thousands of years before Jesus was born... He evolved into the king of all of the gods and he along with other Egyptian gods were adopted by other peoples and countries and given different names... but that does not change who they are... they are Egyptian gods...So I find it fascinating that the religions of today even if it is unwittingly still show respect to the mighty Egyptian god Amen
    The christian scholars do of course dismiss any links to the god Amen.. the king of all of the gods.. But the word Amen is Amen you cannot change that especially when the word is linked to religions
    So what you are doing when you pray is... you are asking god for whatever you are praying for... then you call on the mighty Egyptian god Amen to help you
    I hope I have helped

Regards

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  12. autumnleavesnnovember

You have helped and thank you. Unlike so many in this forum, the Egyptian time period has never interested me that much. Even in school, it was Greek mythology we learned, not Egyptian. Thus, I'm pretty dumb about it. I don't pray that much any longer. I use to pray a lot in my younger days, but so much of that was due to fear. When I stopped being so afraid, I stopped regularly praying. These days, I debate in my mind if I should start praying again. If so, why? If not, why not?

13. Cassie

Cassie Kemetic-Shintoic Pagan

Sekhmet is Goddess of War, Destruction, one of the true upholders of the balance of justice and vengeance and the sheer power and force of the natural world.
    But Sekhmet is far from negative, she can be brutal in her ways and have negative traits, depending on ones perpective, but she is a fierce protector of family,
    of home, and of Ma'at, the divine justice. It was from Sekhmet, that the gentler Bastet was formed. The natural world is fearsome and dangerous, but it is also beautiful and bountiful.

Those who need strength, determination and guidance along troubled paths turn to her.
    Once her wrath was so devastating, that she had to be quelled with alcohol to calm her, and when calmed she was just as fair, free, and warm as the other Gods.

Personally I'd be honoured to have a statuette of her on my wall.. but that's just my two cents.

I don't pray to them, I talk to them sometimes? But I don't think it constitutes as praying, because I don't wish for things, I just.. talk.
    I don't do it to be heard, I just do it to relieve whatever stress/loneliness I'm facing at the time.
    But there's nothing wrong with praying, at all, if it brings you closure or comfort then that's really what matters,
    not whether or not anyone out there can hear you. Maybe they do? Who knows.
    I don't think you should be asking why you should pray, or why not, there are no pro's and con's to talking to them, so just do what feels natural.

autumnleavesnnovember likes this.
  14. autumnleavesnnovember

Cassie, thanks for your most thoughtful reply. Praying use to be second nature to me, and I feel like I should pick it up again, but I can't seem to do so. That's why I ask why or why not.

15. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director

YYEEESSSS downing in midterms. BBL (weekend)

16. autumnleavesnnovember

That's what I thought. :p