Share your favorite quotes here

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by thephilosopher, Dec 7, 2011.

1. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

This is so ironic it brings tears to my eyes.

2. Mama2HRB

Mama2HRB Senior member Staff Member

It is funny and sad at the same time. Funny they didn't know his achievement while using it, and sad they didn't know his achievement while using it.

And even sadder they don't know all that he accomplished in his lifetime.

Thank you, Steve Jobs. I await your return. May your next lifetime be even more amazing than the one you just left.

3. Kapitan

Kapitan Probationary

"Sam, you're really...you're messin' with my Zen thing man." (Sam's father) - Tron: The Legacy

4. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

I love so many it's hard to choose, but here a couple of my faves:

“I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars.” - Og Mandino

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran

"I existed from all eternity and, behold, I am here; and I shall exist till the end of time, for my being has no end." - Khalil Gibran

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within." -Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

5. Kapitan

Kapitan Probationary

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. - Corinthians

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.

Where there is hatred, let me sow love.

Where there is injury, pardon.

Where there is doubt, faith.

Where there is despair, hope.

Where there is darkness, light.

Where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master,

grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;

to be understood, as to understand;

to be loved, as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive.

It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,

and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.

Amen.

- Prayer of St. Francis

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear. ~Ambrose Redmoon

23They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;

24These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep. - Psalm 107

6. Totoro

Totoro Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

"There's no place like home" - Dorthy in The Wizard of Oz

"There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish, sometimes" - The 4th Doctor, from Doctor Who

"yea, well my mom says i'm cool" - Millhouse, The Simpsons

"if you think you saw something you didn't see, that's an optical delusion" - Archie Bunker, All in the Family

7. Kapitan

Kapitan Probationary

From Carl Jung:

When we must deal with problems, we instinctively resist trying the way that leads through obscurity and darkness. We wish to hear only of unequivocal results, and completely forget that these results can only be brought about when we have ventured into and emerged again from the darkness. But to penetrate the darkness we must summon all the powers of enlightenment that consciousness can offer.

"The Stages of Life" (1930). In CW 8: The Structure and Dynamics of the Psyche. P.752

Filling the conscious mind with ideal conceptions is a characteristic of Western theosophy, but not the confrontation with the shadow and the world of darkness. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.

"The Philosophical Tree" (1945). In CW 13: Alchemical Studies. P.335

Good does not become better by being exaggerated, but worse, and a small evil becomes a big one through being disregarded and repressed. The shadow is very much a part of human nature, and it is only at night that no shadows exist.

"A Psychological Approach to the Dogma of the Trinity" (1942) In CW 11: Psychology and Religion: West and East. P.286

8. kmatjhwy

kmatjhwy Senior Member Staff Member

Now here are just a few of my more favorite quotes for whatever it is worth.

From an Old Sign at the end of a road here in Wyoming with author unknown ..... ' At The End of the Road Where the Trails and Life Begin '

From Joseph Campbell ....

" The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. "

" Participate Joyfully in the sorrows of the world, we cannot cure the world of sorrows, but we can choose to live in Joy. "

" Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you where there was only walls. "

" We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us. "

From Charlton Heston in the movie, 'The Mountain Men' ....

" Remember the first time we saw the Tetons, standing tall, whole country said new, made a man think he was the first one to set foot on it. He could walk for a year in any direction with just his rifle, live good and easy, never say 'Sir' to nobody. "

From the movie, 'Jeremiah Johnson' ....

" I told my pap and man I was comin' to the mountains to trap and be a mountain man. Acted like they was gut shot! Sez, son make your life go here. Here is where the people is. Them mountains is for animals and savages. I sez, Mother Gue, The Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world. By God, I was right! I might never seen 'em but my common sense tells me the Andes is foothills and the Alps is for children to climb. This here is God's finest sculpturing. "

" Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters? Ride due west as the sun sets. Turn left at the Rocky Mountains.

Bear Claw: "You've come far pilgrim"

Jeremiah Johnson "Feels like far"

Bear Claw: "Were it worth the trouble?"

Jeremiah Johnson: "Ha, What Trouble?"

9. Red Night

Red Night Senior Registered

A man, very dissatisfied with his lack of masculine qualities, prays every night to God.

Father, I pray to have a deeper voice.

Father, I pray to be taller and thicker.

Father, I pray to be hairier.

And so on. Then, after many years, the man dies. When he gets to Heaven he says to God, "Father, why didn't you ever answer any of my prayers?"

God replied, "Within good time my child, within good time." And then, with a flash of white light, the man is born into his next life. As he's coming out of his mother's womb he hears God say, "Your prayers will now be answered, my daughter."

I came up with that one. :)

10. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

The more I know, the more I know that I don’t know.

—Socrates

11. usetawuz

"I'm going strictly by height, but are you in charge?" Lawrence Bourne III

"Johnny Walker, Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, the gangs all here..." Again Lawrence.

12. Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike New Member

Here are some of my favourites:

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.

-R. Buckminster Fuller

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.

-Albert Einstein

It is a thousand times better to have common sense without education than to have education without common sense.

-Robert Green Ingersoll

Do not worry if you have built your castles in the air. They are where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

-Henry David Thoreau

When you're average, you're just as close to the bottom as you are the top.

- Alfred North Whitehead

and finally one of my own:

I always try to seek out those who are more intelligent and open minded than I am for guidance. It’s just unfortunate those babies haven’t learned to talk yet.

13. usetawuz

"Don't argue with idiots...they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." anon

"Never chase a skunk." anon

14. Mammatus

Mammatus A Squid With a Rocketship

Agnes: "You can't teach an old dog new sayings."

Grandma: "I believe the saying is You can't teach an old dog new tricks."

Agnes: "That's my new saying."

Grandma: "I like the old saying better."

Agnes: Thinking: I rest my case.

~Agnes Comic....Um....I forget the author *facepalm*

I've been told that if I were a comic character, I would be Agnes :cool

One from my favorite comic Brewster Rockit: Space Guy:

Brewster: The crew is upset that you're using humans in your experiments.

Dr. Mel: Bah! Don't they know that you have to break a few legs to make an omelet?

Brewster: I think the expression is "break a few eggs".

Dr. Mel: Really? No wonder my omelets taste funny.

15. Kapitan

Kapitan Probationary

These are some of the maritime related ones:

From SubmarineSailor.com:

"They weren't just hull numbers, they were our home addresses. Now the old neighborhood is torn down and gone and all that is left are memories."

-- submitted by Dick Murphy,USS Tiru SS 416

"Submarine life most of the time is hours and hours of boredom with intermittent terror thrown in to keep you on your toes!"

-- submitted by Paul "PEP" Perris

"Life is not fair, life was not meant to be fair. We in the submarine service are fortunate to learn this fact early in life, that life is not fair.."

STS1(SS) Danny A. Alexander, USS HADDO (SSN 604) WESTPAC 1979

-- submitted by DE Wright CWO4

"Of all the branches of men in the forces there is none which shows more devotion and faces grimmer perils than the submariners."

Sir Winston Churchill

Submitted by ETCS(SS) Donald T Ennis USN (retired)

"Without courage, you might as well not be in it. You’ve got to have courage--moral courage, physical courage--and honor. Honor means telling the truth even when it might not be to your advantage"

Retired Capt. Charles W. Rush Jr. (85), Navy Cross recipient, when asked to give advice to Chiefs and Junior Officers in today's submarine service.

"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together.”

-- submitted by Red Hanley who overheard a skimmer officer say this while talking to a non-navy type

"He is the Submarine Sailor who served in silence, but in his silence, has heard the laughter of future generations.”

- submitted by Glenn Harris ET1-SS

"A million dollar house, and the roof leaks...”

-- a sub sailor experiencing (aggravating but not unusual) hull leaks on a dive.

"Submarine life is not a service, but a religion”

Igor Britanov, Captain of the K-219:

From a plaque reportedly hung in the CCP of the Soviet Yankee class ballistic missile submarine scuttled by her CO in October 1986 after a devastating missile explosion and fire in order to save his crew from having to re-board the boat without adequate life support equipment (OBA canisters) as they were ordered to do by Moscow. In doing so, Britanov almost lost his life, but saved the remaining members of his crew.

-- from the book, "Hostile Waters." page 19.

"Submariners are a special brotherhood, either all come to the surface or no one does. On a submarine, the phrase all for one and one for all is not just a slogan, but reality.”

-- VADM Rudolf Golosov of the Russian Navy

"I saw the submariners, the way they stood aloof and silent, watching their pigboat with loving eyes. They are alone in the Navy. I admired the PT boys. And I often wondered how the aviators had the courage to go out day after day and I forgave their boasting. But the submariners! In the entire fleet they stand apart!”

James Michener

Tales of The South Pacific

"Like the destroyer, the submarine has created its own type of officer and man with language and traditions apart from the rest of the service, and yet at the heart unchangingly of the Service”

Rudyard Kipling

The Fringes of the Fleet, 1915

"The North Atlantic is a cruel and unforgiving body of water”

-- MMCM/SS Thomas Barnhart, COB of the USS City of Corpus Christi prior to sea trials after a DMP. (DMP = Depot Modernization Period, mini overhaul)

16. Kapitan

Kapitan Probationary

sub. quotes contd.

(and a few more - copied from my U-Boat Site)

"In this other world [the U-Boat arm], I found waiting for me a whole set of better moral values, such as understanding, human sympathy, and even warmth." - 'Teddy' Suhren

"The only thing that ever really frightened me during the war was the U-boat peril." - Winston Churchill - WWII

"Even if a submarine should work by a miracle, it will never be used. No country in this world would ever use such a vicious and petty form of warfare!" - William Henderson, British admiral (1914)

"If you want the nth degree in thrills, try penetrating an enemy harbor in a submarine." - Commander Spiess - WWI

"So, all in all, between seventy and seventy-five thousand tons of Allied shipping had gone down to Davy Jones carrying our compliments, and we had shown a skeptical world that even the wide expanse of the Atlantic was not enough to keep us from a super-raid to the coast of far-off America. To those who can see into the future, surely this is a warning of what later wars may bring. For the day will come when submarines will think no more of a voyage across the Atlantic than they do now of a raid across the North Sea. In the not far-distant future our giant U-151 will be succeeded by craft that will operate not only above and under the sea, but up in the air as well. America's isolation is now a thing of the past." - Frederick Koerner (First Watch officer on von Nostitz' U 151). - WWI

"Could Germany have kept fifty submarines constantly at work on the great shipping routes in the winter and spring of 1917, nothing could have prevented her from winning the war." - Admiral Sims

17. Shiftkitty

Shiftkitty Registered User

[OT] Kapitan- You would have loved chatting with my father. He was a submariner in WW2. He told us he served on the USS Pampanito. We visited her in San Francisco one day, and we had her all to ourselves. He took us around and got us familiar with various stations, then put us in various parts of the boat. On his signal, we were to head for the stations he had assigned to us as though we were in combat. We were teenagers, so we weren't too far off the size of what his shipmates would have been. Even at 5'2, I had a whole new appreciation for just how cramped a sub can be!

Being on the sub brought forth no PL memories, but when I set foot on the Liberty ship, Jeremiah O'Brien, both her skipper and my dad said I gave off the aura that I belonged there. However, I have no memories of serving on any ships, love them though I do.

Now, back OT- A quote I use alot in political debates with my liberal friends, "A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have....". This quote is often attributed to Jefferson, but verbatim it comes from Gerald Ford.

18. Shiftkitty

Shiftkitty Registered User

Two more quotes to add in that I thought were nice:

"Hope is the ability to hear the music of the future."

-and-

"A man is rich because of what he is, not what he has."