Sheer sadness

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Deborah, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

A dear friend of mine said the following about today's tragedy; I couldn't express it better.....so I'll share hers.

2. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Thanks Deb, stunned, aching... even these words aren't enough.

May I share the words of a friend of mine, author and teacher Susan Piver wrote today Connecticut

Sheer sadness...

3. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Emeritus Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm lost for words! My heart goes out to all the parents, children and teachers whose lives have been changed forever. And for the 20 children and 7 teachers who lost their lives .... a candle:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. hydrolad

hydrolad Senior Moderator Super Moderator

The English language DOES NOT contain the words needed to express my shock and disgust at such an act of depravity as this, nor does it have the words needed to fully offer my condolences to the friends and family of the victims, but I will try and stumble on, but instead of empty words, allow me to offer this picture:

Hopefully someone will be asked to "Pipe" the funerals of the victims.

And on a fog shrouded morning, as friends and family gather to pay tribute, the haunting notes of the Bagpipes drift through the mist and the sacred sound of the song: "Abide with Me" is slowly heard by the friends and family, as the haunting melody carries their sorrow upwards, as they are comforted by the words "Abide with Me" :(

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2012
  5. Kristopher

Kristopher Senior Registered

How many more times does similar events have to happen before America thinks about making it not as easy for people to get guns as it is. This is happening way to often. I agree that police should carry guns but when people in such a large country can basically go into a shop and buy any gun they wish, it's not safe or right, IMO.

6. OutOfTheBox

OutOfTheBox New Member

Hi Kristopher:

I know this sort of thing is quite upsetting, but things are not always as they might seem. Take this old story for example.

Many years ago, a wise peasant lived in China.

He had a son who was the apple of his eye and a fine white stallion, which everyone admired. One day his horse escaped from his grounds and disappeared. The villagers came to him one by one and said: "You are such an unlucky man. It is such bad luck that your horse escaped." The peasant responded: "Who knows. Maybe it's bad, maybe it's good." The next day the stallion returned followed by 12 wild horses. The neighbours visited him again and congratulated him for his luck. Again, he just said: "Who knows. Maybe it's good, maybe it's bad."

The next day his son attempted to break in one of the wild horses when he fell down and broke his leg. Once more, everyone came with their condolences: "It's terrible." Again, he replied: "Who knows. Maybe it's bad, maybe it's good."

A few days passed and his poor son was limping around the village with his broken leg, when the emperor's army entered the village announcing that a war was starting and they required all the young men of the village to join the army. However, they left behind the peasant's son since he had a broken leg. Everyone was extremely jealous of the peasant. They talked about his sheer good luck, while the old man just muttered: "Who knows. Maybe it's good, maybe it's bad."

http://www.lifepositive.com/Mind/Teaching_Story/Good_Luck_Bad_Luck_Who_Knows.asp

Guns don't pull their own triggers. It's the person that holds the gun that pulls the trigger. The people that do this sort of thing are often on prescription drugs like Prozac, Zoloft etc. When your emotions calm down, you might want to check into the side effects of these drugs. Murder and suicide are listed as side effects.

I suspect that if guns were not available, these people still might use bombs, poison gas etc. I say that guns are not the problem, it's the fact that we don't really help people heal in this society, but put them on nasty drugs instead.

7. ladonnacuriosa

ladonnacuriosa New Member

Best not bring guns into the discussion, this is a spiritual forum, not political. I am sure we all have differing opinions about gun control, I'd like to weigh in on what someone had already said but I will hold back, we don't need to lead this into a heated debate.

8. Blueheart

Blueheart Senior Member

Given his political outlook, it is very unlikely the above was written by Morgan Freeman.

This, however, was written by Fred Rodgers:

When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." To this day, especially in times of "disaster," I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world.

9. Mama2HRB

Mama2HRB Senior member

Thank you, Blueheart, for posting that. It did much to soothe my aching heart. Poor babies ... I cannot imagine their fear ...

10. ChrisR

As well as feeling very sad about this tragedy, I also feel very angry as I'm sure everybody else does. I could really say a lot right now on the 'political' side of things, but I think the purpose of this thread is to remember the little ones who have been affected by this event, and the heroic adults whose job it was to take care of them. Please let's not turn this into a political debate otherwise it'll have to go.

11. Mama2HRB

Mama2HRB Senior member

This is Victoria. She died a hero today. She hid her first graders in the cabinets and closets after hearing the gunfire. When the shooter came to her classroom, she told him that her students were in the gym. He then gunned her down and moved on. She saved the lives of all of her students. Please pass this on if you see it. She deserves to be remembered for her bravery.

HERO TEACHER VICTORIA SOTO

12. ChrisR

H001H001H001H001H001

20 Children:

Charlotte Bacon, 6

Daniel Barden, 7

Olivia Engel, 6

Josephine Gay, 7

Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 6

Dylan Hockley, 6

Madeleine F. Hsu, 6

Catherine V. Hubbard, 6

Chase Kowalski, 7

Jesse Lewis, 6

James Mattioli, 6

Grace McDonnell, 7

Emilie Parker, 6

Jack Pinto, 6

Noah Pozner, 6

Caroline Previdi, 6

Jessica Rekos, 6

Avielle Richman, 6

Benjamin Wheeler, 6

Allison N. Wyatt, 6

6 adults:

Rachel Davino, 29

Dawn Hochsprung, 47, principal

Anne Marie Murphy, 52, special education teacher

Lauren Rousseau, 30, teacher

Mary Sherlach, 56, school psychologist

Victoria Soto, 27, first grade teacher

H001H001H001H001H001

13. ladonnacuriosa

I am trying my hardest to burn her name and memory in my mind and erase that of the killers. She is a true hero and inspiration.

14. Lady2

Lady2 Senior Registered

A terrible thing to happen...God bless them all.

15. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

Even though everyone at the forum knows that we all get other chances at life, it doesn't change the terror those little ones must have felt, or the incredible pain of those left behind. How many more times do we have to see this, before something changes, even if it's our society's approach to the mentally ill? I often ask myself why parents of young males keep guns in the house. It's not a good combination, particularly if your child is unstable. God be with everyone affected.

16. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

This thread was started as a prayer for those who died. The children whose lives were cut short and the adults who so bravely held ground.

So please - all posts should be blessings, love, and peace... for them..I deleted my Morgan Freeman post.

17. Ghost of Gumby

Ghost of Gumby Hi, Friends : )

No words can express what I feel about this tragedy, it leaves one speechless and drained. The pain reverberates deep within us and society, so once again we attempt to find our way through this troubling world. I pray for all those affected by this great loss, there will be emptyness without all of these lovely ones slain on Friday morning.

18. ladonnacuriosa

I turned on my TV this evening to CNN where a clip was playing about a group of people, mainly children, from the Red Lake Reservation in Minnesota (where a horrific school shooting took place years ago) who drove over thirty hours to come support and show solidarity with the Newtown community. I am posting a link to the clip here so you can watch the last twenty seconds, where the reporter is asking some young children why they are there and what they'd like to say to the community of Newtown.

I found it very touching. Those two little boys have a lot of love, innocence and wisdom.

Survivors Sharing Newtown Clip

Reporter: "What do you guys want to say to this community?"

Boy 1: "I love you guys"

Boy 2: "We just want to be together and then at one point we will probably all see each other again"

Boy 1: ".. in a different world"