Shorts: Death, Rebirth, and In-Between

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by SeaAndSky, Feb 20, 2019.

1. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

I'm a fan of shorts. Not the kind you wear, but short videos. This is a place to link your favorite shorts related to the topics above and discuss them. My initial offering is Madame Tutli-Putli. I like it best without sound myself, but to each his own. In any case, don't be a cheater, try to come up with your own understandings and interpretations. My only hint will be to watch out for moths, what they presage and where they lead . . . . .

fireflydancing likes this.
  2. There and back again

There and back again Senior Member

Here is two gems

3. SeaAndSky

Hi TABA,

These are gems, but not quite on topic as they deal with the wrong part of the arc--they are basically set (if set at all) in the birth-lifetime-death part of the arc. This thread is meant to deal with things in the other part of the arc of our existence--death--afterlife--rebirth. E.g., the initial short--as I interpret it--starts at a train station waiting for the train to the afterlife, with Madame dragging all of the tawdry remnants of what looks like a pretty dull and dismal life along with her.

Cordially,
    S&S

4. SeaAndSky

Here is another one, in a lighter vein, at least if you don't mind the macabre subject matter. It deals with the adventures of two indefatigable morticians--Shank & Son--as they seek to do their continuing best by the deceased lady they are helping to her "final resting place". The stalwart (or stubborn?) pair never give up on their duty, even after they have joined her in the afterlife and seem to be on the way to the "bad place" itself . . . .

5. SeaAndSky

Well, seems like I'm posting for an audience of one, but I likes 'em! Anyway, here is one that (like the last) starts with death--but never gets any farther! The grim reaper has a bad day. I can really empathize with a fellow old codger like this. PS--be sure to stay 'til the end (after the credits).

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  6. SeaAndSky

Too much time on my hands yesterday, so today I have another--where death is not such a bad guy. I do not speak French, but the story of a little girl softening the heart of Death himself resonates without the need of language. (WARNING: Spoiler below, don't read until after you watch).

BTW--there is an English rendition of the story in the comments below. It goes like this: "basically the little girl is an orphan and death comes for her...but she ends up befriending him because she destroyed his scythe and she said she could find another...so he follows her to the saint death statue...he takes holy deaths scythe and is ready to strike her there but he decides not to when they hear the bell ring..she says she has to return to the orphanage or she will get in trouble but she really doesn't want to go back there...she says she wants to go with him..he says she can't because he has to go back to work then..she asks if he will return again and he says yes but another day...then she gets hit by that run away carriage..so they walk on together as she has died....."

7. SeaAndSky

I like the message of this next one, which looks past exterior position in deciding who is the most devilish, etc. Plus, it is "light" compared to the last. I like 'em both, but don't want to get unbalanced:

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  8. SeaAndSky

Here's another funny one where Death does not get his man! There's a good laugh at the end (at least for me), but I grew up watching "Wiley Coyote" trying to catch the "Roadrunner" in a bygone day . . . . so I'm an easy target for that type of thing.

I keep wondering why there are no good humorous (or serious) shorts featuring reincarnation? There's lots of room for humor in that area. Hmmm. How about one where an Arnie Schwartzenegger finds himself in a pink bassinette? The tough guy comes back as the girlie girl (or vice versa). The rich guy comes back as the poor one (or vice versa). I think there are a lot of possibilities there, but no one is doing it. o_O

9. SeaAndSky

I can't resist another somewhat sentimental one while I am at it. Somehow the idea of the train to the afterlife seems to resonate with many . . .

10. SeaAndSky

Finally one with some reincarnation! Our hero and a "bad" guy get to view their PLs and then have to spin the "Wheel of Karma" to see what they get next--no surprises there, but stick around for the credits. The bad guy may have gotten his just deserts, but at least it didn't last long. (The "Karma" cannon is also a nice touch).

11. SeaAndSky

Here's another, where our very small protagonist gives a completely different meaning to the light at the "end" of the legendary tunnel!

PS--Some depressing aspects, but all's well that ends well!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 4:37 PM
  12. SeaAndSky

Well, the next two may stretch the meaning of "short", but I'm inserting them anyway. They come from a very bygone movie (1939) "On Borrowed Time". This was the type of thing I used to watch in black and white on TV when I came home from school in the early 60s (and I wasn't outside 'cause the weather was bad). The background is that Grandpa wants to be able to take care of his orphaned granson "Pud" rather than let him be taken by the evil relative who wants to steal the boy's property. But Grandpa is due for his own appointment with death ("Mr. Brink"). . . .

13. SeaAndSky

In the last, fortunately or unfortunately, Grandpa tricks death into climbing into a tree that he can control and traps him there. (An idea based in an old legend). However, he has forgotten that death is also a friend, releasing those in torment. When his own grandson takes a fall and is paralyzed and in pain, he reconsiders his decision . . . .

We get to see them then walking into the "light" together. These two scenes are not, technically, "shorts". Nonetheless, I felt the need to post something to redeem "death's" reputation after all of my prior postings with Death as the villain. Maybe it is that way sometimes, but Death is also the release of the weary soul and the soul in pain to something far better. The older I get and the more faith I have in our continuing existence and development, the more I am willing to go (and not linger past my time). Also, what a difference between what we grew up with back then and what people grow up with now. I'm sure that some of today's stuff is better in quality, but it is such a mixed bag.